safetykim
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Re:Reviews for Christmas Stories: A Christmas Carol CE

[Post New]by safetykim on Dec 6, 13 1:40 AM
I liked it very much. The most notable thing for me was the LENGTH of the game - one of the longer games I've played! The bonus chapter was also significant in length. It helps to recommend the CE over the SE.

bezzer
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by bezzer on Dec 6, 13 7:45 AM
What an absolutely fantastic game. Thankyou BF.X

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 6, 13 10:12 AM
I realize this is getting a lot of great reviews. I purchased this without demo because last years Nutcracker was amazing. However, I'm not really all that excited about this one...finding it a bit boring and actually had to take a break because it was getting a bit tedious.

Graphics, as usual for this developer are absolutely amazing! HOS are slightly interactive and the mini games, of which I skipped most due to being very tedious, are a bit "common".

Game has a map, but I get tired jumping back and forth between areas to pick up one item and then back again. HOS are clear crisp and colorful, but boring and I find myself using the quick fill Hint and Skip just to keep the game moving. So, a bit disappointed in this years product...think I will go back and play Nutcracker...it was better. Should have waited for the SE.

I give a 3 out of 5 for this one.

Additional comments: Started playing bonus game...awful...wait for the SE on this one...

Edited on 12/09/2013 at 6:30:24 AM PST

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Dec 6, 13 1:23 PM
ANOTHER freezing game. This time the screen froze while I was doing the pouch puzzle. It looks like a nice game BUT I'm so tired of tech problems. Probably won't buy.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Dec 6, 13 2:10 PM
Although the original Christmas Carol is not particularly bright or cheery, a holiday-themed game sorta has to be, right? So what could devs do but pretty up what is supposed to be the home of a sad old man, by adding lots of cheery Christmas decorations and making up cute tasks to move us through the story.

So, yes it's a holiday-themed Hidden Object game, the type I usually enjoy. The graphics are quite nice and the penguins are a nice touch. The ability to "jump" is available here for those who prefer to fly rather than trek.

Unfortunately, I was bored with really simple tasks and inventory usage. Also, I couldn't believe the tiny number of locations included in the demo.

I'm passing on the game for me, but if it was my turn to get to see the grandkids this Christmas, I would likely buy this to play with them.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Dec 6, 13 2:56 PM
Like so many others, I've always loved this Christmas story, and the game is terrific!

Gorgeous graphics, animations, cut scenes and voice overs. Almost makes me wish for tons of snow (not really, )! The holiday music is also very nice.

I purchased the Nutcracker last year, and thought that was a wonderful game as well, but this one, even better. Did not even finish the demo, and decided to purchase. So another holiday theme game to add to my collection.

Edited on 12/06/2013 at 2:59:06 PM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 7, 13 4:34 AM
This game is outstanding,Congrats DEV's you all should get an award of the year..I never played such a beautiful game since 13th skull, Plz have more games like this one I feel like i got my monies worth on this game..Thank you for all your hard work and time..Once again congrats and a great big thank you BF..Excellent choice of game..The sounds and graphics was so beautiful..I know I will play this beautiful game again I even love the story lines..

MsNetty61
Guppy
Guppy
190 Posts

[Post New]by MsNetty61 on Dec 7, 13 12:06 PM
I've got a half price deal, so will buy......but would not pay full price for this

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Dec 7, 13 2:37 PM
Based on the Demo

The music and visuals are beautiful. The Christmas songs in the background made the game more enjoyable and the voice overs were spot on. The storyline is excellent, based on A Christmas Carol. There is a good Scrooge for your assistance as a helper and an evil Scrooge to make life miserable for you by wreaking havoc with the storyline.

There is plenty to keep you busy in this game. The hidden object scenes were masterfully done. The mini games were fun, sometimes very challenging. The game itself was fantastic.

There is a map to assist you in your travels to change history in order to save your Uncle Scrooge.

It is a beautiful holiday game you will really enjoy.

If you like beautiful, crisp, clear graphics, a great storyline, beautiful music and excellent voiceovers, I highly recommend it

gryhndlvr
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by gryhndlvr on Dec 8, 13 6:31 AM
I absolutely enjoyed playing this game. The graphics are once again crystal sharp and so beautiful. Story is fun too. You have to change Scrooge's past with a little help from the well known ghosts.
As always collectables and achievements. Nice length too.
In the bonus you deal with the adorable cats from the Nutcracker.
Although I liked the Nutcracker better this game is a close runner up for Christmas games. Nice imagination from the Elephant team once again. They are still my favorite. Never gets boring.
I sooooo love the statues that come alive ( remind me a lot of the Lord of Statues) and the little imps. Just really watch them with their little mean red eyes. Ha, too cute.
Thank you Elephant, can't wait till next Christmas to see what you come up with. Very well done.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Dec 10, 13 7:55 AM
Thank BF this game is a buy for me. The sound, graphics and story line is right up my alley. What a great game. Merry Christmas to all.

[Post New]by dl45nicholes on Dec 12, 13 10:02 PM
Wow! What a great game. This version actually makes the sadness of the original movie feel better. The graphics are fantastic. You could get lost in the realness of the color and detail. In fact, I've been kind of a scrooge with decorating in the last few years, but after this game, it's renewed my desire to go all out and feel the magic of the season. I also liked the ease with which you could go from one screen to the other with the hint. I dislike going back and forth from one to another on some of the other games. I laugh when I think of forgetting at first in the game, that when I had to make something animated, I forgot the good Scrooge would help me, and when I finally looked at him, he'd been waiving his arms for probably 5 minutes. lol. I think I will actually play this again in a short while and this time I"ll turn the volume up and enjoy the whole experience. One of my fav's.
dl45nicholes

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Dec 18, 13 12:54 PM
Four and one-half out of five tree-topping stars

Forget the original story or (as you can see from other reviews) you'll be annoyed. Just treat this as a stand-alone original plot that uses some familiar names and borrows lightly from the Dickens classic.

Enjoy the gorgeous graphics! Every detail is worth examining.

Yes, that's classical music in there with Christmas carols. Rather nice, isn't it?

Holidays are for taking it easy. Don't expect huge challenges.

Bonus content is fair (in terms of being extraneous to the main plot) and entertaining.

The half-star off is just my way of reminding the devs that I'd really like a way to turn off the map hints without turning off the map jumps. Again. For the umpteenth time. I'm sure the promise of my last half-star will motivate you no end

Happy holidays!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Dec 19, 13 1:28 PM
I enjoyed playing this game. It had the beautiful graphics that you expect from an Elephant game. I love the traditional Christmas music. There are not many games that would have that. I liked that the storyline was more up beat than the original Christmas Carol. The only negative I can come up with is I thought it lacked the charm of last years offering, The Nutcracker. Merry Christmas to all Fishies and to all at BFG and to all at Elephant Games.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 19, 13 3:58 PM
I decided to purchase this game, since there was an AWESOME sale, THANKS BF!!!

AND...I have to apologize to Elephant ...because this turned out to be a VERY fun and entertaining game ( didn't experience getting bored at all ) with the back and forth, in this game like I did in previous games from them .
SO I removed my previous post, from playing the demo only, that wasn't a fair review, after buying and playing further into the game, I did realize that Elephant DID make improvements, and the story, game play, etc all flowed together, very nice.
I actually ended up LOVING IT .. it was filled with AMAZING things that really WOWED me, just an example was the OVEN...Brrr COLD...OMG are you kidding me, SO FUNNY, almost peed my pants LOL!!! !!
LOVE, LOVE the good and bad ghost, the IMPS are Soooo COOL !!
REALLY all of the special effects makes this BRILLIANT, wow IMHO this has so much great stuff in it, that I just can't list them all, a couple of times, I almost jumped out of my chair, LOVED those moments !!

I though I was going to be disappointed in this game, but the total opposite happened, have ENJOYED every minute, so THANK YOU Elephant .
I can't EVEN imagine, the work it took making something, with the attention to detail, this BEAUTIFUL Christmas present, offered, it was a Merry Christmas to me gift, AND I just LOVED IT five kisses, top rated in my book !

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 20, 13 5:34 PM
I haven't written a review for quite sometime, mainly because my feeble attempts at doing so pale in comparison to those of many others (ie. Valdy, JustTheFacts, to name just two). However, I just had to say a few words about "Christmas Stories: A Christmas Carol".

I purchased the CE and I am so glad I did! This game is, in my opinion, one of the very few BEAUTIFUL and ENTERTAINING games Big Fish has offered!! I just finished the main game and I loved every minute of it! The puzzles were different and fun, those I was able to do, anyway, and the game had an interesting plot, varying a bit from the traditional story, yet still keeping to it overall. The voice-overs were well done, too. Another aspect that one me over was the addition of . As a lover, I always enjoy seeing in games.

I LOVE everything about this game and, if I were voting for game of the year, this would definitely rank number 1. I highly recommend it to everyone. It is truly a wonderful game!!! BIG KUDOS to the developers!!!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Dec 22, 13 8:21 PM
Well, I am again trying to post a review -seems my last one disappeared into thin air, and now I have to try to think of what the heck I said in my last one!! First of all, I want to thank all the fishies out there for posting honest and informative reviews. They are a help and appreciated by all!! I have not quite finished the main game. It is getting late and this is a most busy time of year - not alot of time to play these games, much to my chagrin!! Anyway, at this point of playing, I would like to comment on two incidents that I was having a problem with and found I was not alone - the "Tiny Tim Amulet" and the "Bird on the Lampost" - I was able to, between the comments and my own perserverence, I was able to get past those two very aggravating parts of the game (!!) I think the game is beautifully illustrated and the voices not bad at all. The mini-games for the most part are do able although I have to confess a few really aggravated me to "skip" - hate that. Anyway, so far I am enjoying this game and as a "Christmas Carol" HUGE FAN, (I have many versions of the story on film), I am not offended and look forward to finally giving Scrooge the peace and happiness we all wish that he eventually earns!!
Peace and Goodwill to everyone this Holiday Season!!

feenix

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Dec 24, 13 10:26 AM
NancySusan wrote: The niece is made-up, since Scrooge only has a nephew.

Erm... the character you play in the game is absolutely Scrooge's NEPHEW; at the end of the game, your character is told that someone is proud of the *man* he has grown up to be.
Also, the "town" in question is definitely London; there are several cutscenes of the city that show London landmarks. (Yes, London has residences that have what in the US are called "yards" and in the UK "gardens"!)

While there were a fair number of anachronisms and/or odd translations that made me roll my eyes, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It is, after all, a GAME.
My only quibble with the game mechanics themselves was that a few of the HOP objects were too small to be seen while sitting a normal distance from the monitor... I'm guessing that the original graphics were painted or drawn a lot bigger than the average computer screen.
Good Scrooge, who kept his mouth shut and left you alone unless/until there was something for him to do, was a pleasant change from the cutesy and/or illogical animals we too often get in games nowadays, and having him have only the power to inhabit and animate objects was a nice twist.

And as far as not following the story, it used more of the story than last year's game did!
I look on games like this as happening in a sort of alternate universe, and unless they get actual characters really wrong don't let not sticking tightly to "canon" bother me.

Last but not least, I LOVED this game's music; a lovely combination of tastefully done traditional Christmas carols and selections from "The Nutcracker Suite". I especially enjoyed that if you stayed on the carolers long enough, they sang all the verses of "Silent Night".

Edited on 12/24/2013 at 10:38:50 AM PST

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Dec 25, 13 11:43 AM
Bonus Content Review!

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

BONUS CHAPTER

The main game was very long, and the bonus chapter was longer than most, but not excessive. It involves an entirely different quest from the rest of the game, with entirely new characters – yup, the cats – but mostly the same locations. The locations are existing ones, with only a couple of new ones, and only a little has been done to revamp them. Perhaps all the effort went into the creation of those entirely new cats. They are great, smart and beautiful!

The puzzles and HOPs were all new, of course, and the balance shifted a little in favour of HOPs.

STRATEGY GUIDE

The images were a bit fuzzy and sometimes the instructions in it were even less help than those in the game. Luckily, I didn’t need to use it much, except for a couple bamboozling puzzles. It stayed on the page where you left it.

The last chapter gives collectibles locations. This is a little frustrating, because there is a point in the game where you can’t go back to the beginning to collect the ones you missed. They were much harder than usual to find, too, because they were morphing objects, with their false image staying for a lot longer than their penguin selves, and you can only click them when they are penguins. I got one of my worst ever efforts, just on half the total!

WALLPAPERS (12), CONCEPT ART (12), SCREENSAVERS (2)

Elephant make the best wallpapers. They don’t just pick what seem to be random shots from the game that other developers do, they create them especially for the purpose of decorating your desktop. So they are much more attractive and suitable. Concept art, too, is excellent, showing progress from an initial idea towards final image. And you can save them.

MUSIC (5)
Unfortunately not the recognisable tunes from Nutcracker and traditional Christmas carols.

COLLECTIBLES & ACHIEVEMENTS
Morphing penguins (34), hard to notice and catch them. Lovely Xmas tree with hanging baubles, each representing an achievement. Many are quite tricky to get, but they are the usual performance based achievements.

This game does NOT have any replayable games, which I would say is a pity, but the game itself is so long, maybe not.

Despite no replayables, I am happy to rate this bonus content as 5 stars.
?
This game is well worth paying for the CE

sionnach_dhu
Herring
Herring
305 Posts

[Post New]by sionnach_dhu on Dec 25, 13 4:50 PM
sionnach_dhu wrote:
NancySusan wrote: The niece is made-up, since Scrooge only has a nephew.

Erm... the character you play in the game is absolutely Scrooge's NEPHEW; at the end of the game, your character is told that someone is proud of the *man* he has grown up to be.

Adding to that thought- I suspect the original poster based the thought that the character we play is female on the fact that, at the beginning, Scrooge refers to the individual as "my dear". IIRC, during that time period, it was not unusual for "my dear" to be addressed from one man to another.

Edited on 12/25/2013 at 4:51:10 PM PST

Go to: