Chelkey
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

Re:Reviews For Design This Home!

[Post New]by Chelkey on Dec 20, 13 9:58 AM
This game has a great concept, but the gameplay is waaaaay too slow. I don't mind having to do things and come back later to do more, but when you are on level 2 and you have to wait 45 minutes or spend cash, that's too slow. To make the game better, the first 5 levels should be speeded up, and there should be some interaction with family, so that there are things to do, similar to Sims or Virtual Family. Have the family members clean the items by dragging and dropping and add careers to earn the cash. At least watching the family members perform tasks is much better than just watching them walk around in circles.

The music and artwork are very poor, as someone mentioned before, the original Sims had better artwork from way back in the 90's. The artwork is similar to Virtual Family but it could still be much better. It's not that I don't mind the artwork, it's cutesy, but it's a Design game, meaning the artwork should be phenomenal. With Virtual Family I deal with the artwork as it is more oriented around the family and not so much the house, but even that game needs an improvement in the art direction. I don't expect a FTP to be as great as Sims 3 graphics, but it could be better. More in the line of My Singing Monsters graphics.

This game gets a from me, sorry great idea, but more thought should have been put into it as far as player interaction and graphics.

Edited on 12/20/2013 at 10:02:21 AM PST

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Dec 22, 13 11:10 AM
This is one game where I won't be tempted to spend real money. It's okay, and it looks like the higher levels open up some really fun-to-design-with items. But it isn't jazzy enough in terms of (as others have mentioned) interaction or graphics to make me eager to progress, so patience is not a problem.

[Post New]by lin1101 on Dec 22, 13 11:35 PM
I think its time to review and rewrite this game.....just because it's free (which it really isn't) doesn mean that it should be sooooooooooooo bad

[Post New]by 13personalities on Dec 23, 13 7:39 PM
Okay, I was skeptical when I first decided to give this game a try. But I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't too bad. That is, until I began to level up. Now, I feel like there's no point in continuing on. It takes far too long to advance. I am on Level 6, I have over 2 hours before I can collect money, $400 on hand (not enough to buy anything with), and over an hour before my kitchen chairs are delivered. I conquer about one task per day. I don't have time for this. I want to PLAY a game. I am uninstalling this game right now and moving on to a game that I can actually do something on.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Dec 29, 13 9:09 AM
Okay, I've been playing for a week now as well as reading this forum.

I'm unhappy that each and every three-star items costs gold.

I very much dislike quests that reward me for advertising the game to other people.

This FTP seems to me to be closest to those found on social media, which exist primarily to drum up real money from impatient players and allow the so-called "friends" function serve to advertise the game.

If it were graphically more interesting or interactive, it might be worth the irritation. But it's not, so I'm altering my review to completely negative, and will uninstall the game forthwith. That is its one good point - it cost nothing to try it out.

SnowBunnyB16
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,493 Posts

[Post New]by SnowBunnyB16 on Jan 1, 14 4:24 AM
I like the idea of the game but I do have several issues about the game.

1. You can't buy furniture to match. There aren't enough options to pick from.

2. If you add something to a room before it appears as a task, you don't get credit for it. You have to buy it again.

3. When you add wallpaper, it only appears on one wall.

4. You don't know how much you will get for an item until after you sell it.

5. You have to upgrade even though you are happy with what you just got only a day before. Ok to require upgrade to room but it should be our choice of what we want to add or change.

6. Gameplay is way too slow. Too much downtime waiting for something to happen

[Post New]by goldenpixie1 on Jan 1, 14 9:14 PM
I thought I'd give this game a try since I do enjoy My Singing Monsters greatly and I thought this would be similar. It's not.

The gameplay is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too slow to actually feel like you're playing a game. Having to check into the game every 2 1/2 hours to collect a pithy sum of money is annoying to me. What I collect doesn't even cover the next upgrade of furniture. I don't have time for this - I work during the day and play games to relax at night. So, upgrading the couch in the livingroom basically took me three days. That's just stupid and boring.

The furniture doesn't match. The rooms are gigantic compared to the scale of the furniture. The house occupant just walks back and forth in one room and never interacts with anything.

To sum it up: there's nothing to "play" here. It's not fun. It's boring. Deleted.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Jan 2, 14 2:38 AM
SnowBunnyB16 wrote:I like the idea of the game but I do have several issues about the game.

1. You can't buy furniture to match. There aren't enough options to pick from.

2. If you add something to a room before it appears as a task, you don't get credit for it. You have to buy it again.

3. When you add wallpaper, it only appears on one wall.

4. You don't know how much you will get for an item until after you sell it.

5. You have to upgrade even though you are happy with what you just got only a day before. Ok to require upgrade to room but it should be our choice of what we want to add or change.

6. Gameplay is way too slow. Too much downtime waiting for something to happen

I agree with all of the above points. I was quite upset that I'd spent money on a nice shower for the bathroom, only to be told to spend more on a 2-star shower or tub. The tub I ended up getting is HUGE for that little bathroom, and covers part of the doorway! And who puts paintings in the bathroom?! Also, the game won't let me have a bathroom mirror anywhere that makes sense... like over the sink. Nooo, the mirror has to be over the bathtub, like anyone stands in the tub and looks at themself!

It would be nice to get rid of the extra people. Why do I have 3 adults wandering around, and only 1 bedroom for all of them to sleep in? (yes, I know they don't sleep; all the people in this house do nothing but pace endlessly, 24/7) At least the kid has his own room, and for some reason I got a baby before having a bedroom for said baby. Right now the baby is continuously crawling around the bathroom.

Most of the artwork is hideous, and there's not enough choice at the different levels. I've got some paintings in 3 separate rooms. And why can't I hang a painting over the living room fireplace? Or a mirror?

Some of the decor items cannot be placed on top of anything, or at least not in a way that makes sense. Finally I just left them on the floor.

Barn Yarn and the other games by that company are far better than this one. This game is flawed, for the above reasons and the fact that it doesn't recognize ordinary email providers as valid to fulfill the picture and invite a friend tasks. This game needs to have its bugs fixed, revamped with better items, better timeframes on everything (it takes 12-24 hours for some things to get done/delivered at higher levels), and so on.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Jan 4, 14 8:28 AM
An additional comment to what I wrote above: This game is ridiculous. As mentioned, I got a baby before building the baby's room. That baby has been crawling around the bathroom for a week now. And then I finally got the baby's bedroom built... and up popped another baby! At least this one crawls around the bedroom, but why do I have the extra one in the bathroom?

I just had to replace my brand-new crib with a 2-star one. I'm tempted to sell the shower and put the old crib in the bathroom so the extra little brat will have somewhere to sleep.

How did this game get past the beta-testing stage? It needs to be fixed.

[Post New]by tnicoletay on Jan 5, 14 10:48 PM
****************SPOILER ALERT*****************maybe
I am on level 31 and the task is to purchase the same stuff i have already purchased 2-3 times already in every room in the house

I like the game b/c i can go back to it after a few hours but to have to buy the same furniture all over again at such a high level is just pathetic

the $$ i made on one house was supposed to be made available when i built another home ( yea that didn't happen) so 1 house has $1 million and the other house less than $100,00

Edited on 01/05/2014 at 11:09:11 PM PST

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Jan 6, 14 8:13 AM
Thanks for warning in advance. I'm on level 23 and haven't gotten to the point of building a second house yet.

I made a decision: Having bought some coins, I didn't go over the amount I'd normally pay for a game here. Once those are gone, so is my playing this game. Unless, of course, it gets fixed to take all these reported bugs and frustrations into consideration.

I was just told to completely redo a room with "better" furniture AND build a room. Well, the room will be ready in about 6 hours, and I thought that since I had a couple of brats crawling around, I'd give them a couple of high chairs.

Guess what. Babies in this game do not use high chairs. They apparently sit on adult chairs. But again, since nobody in this game ever eats, sits, sleeps, or does anything normal humans do, it doesn't really matter.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Jan 6, 14 9:43 AM
Well I tried. I love design games but this was an epic fail. I'm at level 8. Basic house, Kitchen, Livingroom, Main Bedroom. Playing on PC through Big Fish.

For a Free To Play game to get a good rating from me, you have to be able to actually play more than ten minutes at a time without spending real money. Fail.

"Design" implies there are multiple choices so you can personalize to your own taste. Three choices. One star, two star, three star. One task is to update your oven to two stars. However, there is only one two star oven, and it's black. After I leveled up, another oven became available. It's also black. All the rest of my kitchen is white. I don't see any ovens at all, even on a higher level, that would go with my white theme.

No close up on anything. Store items are tiny, you can't see detail, and there are no explanations or descriptions. Picked a floor I thought would be wood. I have no idea what it is except beige and boring.

Cleaning tasks to get money. Well, they don't accrue. You don't open the game to find all these tasks waiting for you, waiting to shell out points and cash. You have to leave the game open for them to happen. A game in which you can do absolutely nothing during that time. I get my bag of loot every four hours. It also doesn't accrue. If you aren't there in four hours, it will just sit there and not reset until you nab it.

Furniture can be moved, but it's clumsy and very difficult to be accurate.

Says you can earn stars for taking a pic and emailing to friend. However it doesn't recognize any email program.

Wanted to give the game a week. but it's an obvious fail for me. Good thing it was "free" or I would demand my money back. Now if I could just demand my time back!

Grannyroch
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Grannyroch on Jan 9, 14 2:15 PM
Not a fun one at all. This game is not free as promised. When prompted to purchase a three star appliance, one is required to purchase extra coins. Not fair at all.

[Post New]by BlondNBlu4 on Jan 11, 14 4:33 AM
I'm very disappointed in this game. All you do I wait around. No fun. Then, if you do buy something, later on you will be asked to buy it again because the game doesn't seem to know you already have it. As you get further into he game, there is no way you can play without using real money because every room seems to require 3 star or more items that can only be bought with "stars" that no matter how much I play, I can't earn enough stars to do all the purchasing required. Also, it is VERY expensive to buy those "stars". This game moves so slow that I tend to forget about it. I guess it would make an ok free game for Facebook, but I would never buy a game this slow and boring.

[Post New]by LeeLeeDee on Jan 12, 14 9:46 AM
Boy did I waste some precious hours on this game. I love designing things and decorating and I thought; oh how cool - I'll give this game a try.

Ugh!!!!! Buy one or two things and you are out of money. You have to wait HOURS to get more money and HOURS to have your stuff delivered. I got as far as advancing the time on my pc to get to the next day to speed things up, but that was frustrating because you have to quit the game, change the date and then restart game again. Then the vicious cycle starts all over again. I never got enough money to finish a task at one time.

Then, to make matters more frustrating, I tried to move a plant off the dining room table and decided to just sell it, and my table got sold!!!! For like dirt cheap and to buy a new one I needed $5,000 and I lost my table and plant. Double ugh!!!! It took me 3 shut downs, time change, etc. so on and so on, just to buy my stupid table back.

I'm done!! Games should be fun - not time consuming and frustrating. Got to level 6 or 7 and I had enough.

Advice - speed up the process to minutes not hours and don't make a plant worth thousands of dollars. Really?? It's a geranium for crying out loud.

LOL
Gotta go - I have things to do.

[Post New]by ozdi2003 on Jan 18, 14 12:52 AM
nothing to say really as it has already been said. It is a fun game to start with but goes downhill pretty fast after that.

1. It takes too long to earn money or items once you get to higher levels
2. Frustrating that there are not enough furniture options or any that match
3. You do not need to have pictures or plants in a bathroom and as such should not have to buy any
4. The people in the home do nothing
5. The money earn t on your 1st house does not transfer over when you buy the 2nd home, so you then take longer to get items while waiting for cash. I think they hope you will purchase more pretend money with your hard earned real money

Please work this out or at least reply to all the people who are letting you know what we hate about the game

ledheadmelli
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ledheadmelli on Jan 19, 14 11:17 AM
I too plan on just deleting this game from my computer and hopefully, my memory!

I absolutely REFUSE to participate in this new genre of game where the only enjoyment to be had comes from spending REAL money on NON-EXISTANT items and inviting (suckering) my friends into spending money and/or giving up info that strangers benefit from.

The moment a "free" game NEEDS a real money purchase in order to continue, it becomes a SHAM, a LIE, a DIRTY TRICK...and reeks of Zuckerberg-level shenanigans!

Maybe I'm just old, but these Facebook-style BS "games" belong on FB, not Big Fish! This is my HAVEN from invites to play Candy Crush, maintain my sister's stupid farm or provide my valuable private information (and my friends') to unknown people with questionable motives. I'm happy to pay $7/ea for quality games that are exactly what they claim to be.

BFG - leave this CRAP genre to the charlatans that dreamed it up! You're better than this!

drakharis
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by drakharis on Jan 31, 14 6:01 PM
Nice game

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 9, 14 9:01 PM
Let me tell you why I like this game. First of all, you really don't have to think about anything in this game. It is free to play, but it's not a game where you just sit there and wait for hours before collecting money, or something has been delivered. It's just a pop in, see what's going on and a pop out sort of game. Right now my first house is earning almost 200,000 every 12 hours, so I have three houses and when you go to purchase another house, it DOES combine all of your income together. You will see the selling price of 1,000,000 on the left, and on the right it will show you how much money you can spend. Gold carries over from one house to the next, and basically most of the items they want you to buy start you off on the lower income side and through progressing during the game you'll actually end up with higher end furniture. You can move these things around, using your storage, even move them from one house to another. It's just a light, fun, little game where I don't have to worry about my crops withering and dying, or any such nonsense. Its furniture. I call it my adult Barbie doll playhouse. I like it.

S_haron
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by S_haron on Feb 12, 14 2:18 PM
It could be a good game with more item choices. Frankly, it looks like somebody just came up with a few graphics for furniture, rugs, etc, and said "That'll do" .There was no effort made to have coordinating pieces or a range of colors, and in the case of the pictures and wallpaper, it seems more like a joke. I don't know who came up with those circus colors but if you don't use sand or ivory as a wallpaper color, you can't match much of the flooring. And would somebody please give us more options in flowers, including potted palm trees etc for the sunroom.
The tables--it would be nice if we could have some shelving or tables which would hold more than two items (again for flowers in the sunroom). So far there is no rhyme or reason as to how many items a table will hold. Some of the tinier tables hold two items, yet some of the larger ones only hold one item.
Somebody else mentioned proportion of the items. That's a problem too. I purchased a sofa and it was hardly bigger than a chair; I bought what looked like a big comfy chair, and it was hardly bigger than a stool. The fireplaces are tiny, but the bookcases are huge. Many of the (expensive) rugs are too small to be seen under the dining room table. We should also have windows which we can dress with different curtain options
As far as game play, I really don't mind waiting for the item delivery, but I hate that every three-star item requires coins. (Maybe we could use some game money to purchase coins--say 1 coin for $40,000.) But when I do purchase a 3-star item, I figure out what I want for any of my houses or rooms, purchase the required item, place it in the required room, and after the task is finished, i move it to the house or room I want it in.
All in all I enjoy the game, but it disturbs me that some of the problems that people have been complaining about for a while (ie: The e-mail option) have not been addressed. Doesn't seem that there is a lot of commitment to making this game better. I have spent $10.00 on coins for this game, but I'm not spending anymore until I see some evidence that they're trying to improve it.

Edited on 02/12/2014 at 3:36:37 PM PST

Go to: