kempette
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening Kingdoms

[Post New]by kempette on Dec 18, 13 5:50 AM
What's with the "in game purchase" nonsense? I'd rather just buy a game & not be nickle & dimed to death. What a waste of a perfectly good game idea. I won't be playing, or throwing money at this thing.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Dec 18, 13 6:20 AM

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 1:12:15 PM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Dec 18, 13 10:07 AM

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 1:17:22 PM PST

gwladys99
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by gwladys99 on Dec 18, 13 11:46 AM

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 1:26:47 PM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 18, 13 3:50 PM
What a confusing mess. I lasted about 2 minutes. Guess this just isn't my idea of a fun game.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Dec 18, 13 8:04 PM
Whoa! Way too complicated and tedious. There are so many different things going on at the same time that the story and goals become disjointed. Then after struggling to figure out how in the world this game is supposed to work I find out it's pay to play. I quit then and there. Absolutely dismayed to see this dev heading in this direction.

WolfandMoon
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by WolfandMoon on Dec 18, 13 11:46 PM
I played a free-to-play game before. If you like these types of games, then I think it's a very beautiful game to play. I am a fan of the Awakening Series, but won't play this game. I will stick to just the regular games.

The game I played before was Found and got bored with it. I got to a high level, and it became the same old song and dance. I am afraid that Awakening Kingdoms would loose it's spell for me, so I won't invest my time in it. For those who will have the patience and time for such a game as this, I feel they would enjoy it very much!

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 19, 13 2:12 AM
The first thing I do when entering a game is adjust the music vs. sound option. I clicked on menu, but it didn't work. I tried seeing what some of the stuff on the screen meant, but that didn't work either. All I could do was click where they wanted me to for the tutorial. But the tutorial wasn't really explaining anything. More and more icons kept popping up with no explanation of what they were. What was the difference between clicking on read letter or on play now? When I found hidden objects, bolgins appeared on the screen. Was I supposed to click on them, or what that just info that I had gained in-game currency? Why did I click on the castle key? Is there going to be one hidden in each scene? I now had 10/250 of something, but I had no idea what. I finally got fed up and tried to get out, but the menu button now just gave me four options with pictures, none of which I knew what they meant. I finally did a Ctrl-Alt-Del just to get out of this garbage. Much as I like the Awakening artwork, I'm not going to bother with a game I can't get out of whenever I want. If you can figure it out, you have far more patience than I.

HatesTimers
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by HatesTimers on Dec 20, 13 9:26 AM
I'm testing to see how the game plays offline. When the program is started, it briefly tries to connect, but then lets you play even if it couldn't connect. I can't do the quest to name my character, as that needs a connection. I also can't exchange collectables without being connected. And of course the friend stuff doesn't work. Everything important in the game is working fine so far, though, and I'm getting plenty of quests.

The current/max energy is shown at the top middle. You get another point every 5 minutes, whether or not the game is running. The max energy is increased by 10 and the supply refilled every time you level. The level and current/needed experience (for the next level) is shown top left.

I found the tutorial adequate. I didn't use a crystal to speed the building of the town hall, which the tutorial suggested. (That building took 24 hours, all other building so far has taken a few hours at most.) I haven't had to spend any crystals yet.

The quests are shown on the left side. If it says "new" it isn't active until you click on it. Then it opens up. The "X" in the upper right will close the quest window, and the quest will now be active. The green buttons withing the window will show you where to go to work on that part of the quest.

The hidden object scenes are the heart of the game. A map scroll at the lower left gives you a list of them. Playing one will take energy, and earn money, experience (stars), resources, special items, and collectibles. You can always replay the scene, if you need more resources, or just want to level up (to unlock more quests and such).

The red button with gears at the top right brings up a menu that lets you do things like leave the game, change the settings, or view the help guide. (The "Menu" button at the lower right toggles a menu that isn't active at the beginning.)

[Post New]by MirabellSummer on Dec 22, 13 9:53 AM
I am a huge fan of the Awakenings series, so I had to try this out even though I don't normally play "free-to-play" games.

As expected I got through the lower levels pretty fast and then soon ran out of energy. And this is the point where a lot of people apparently start to turn negative. I just want to point out that this is the beauty of free-to-play games. The fact that you can enjoy the game a little bit everyday. I rush through computer games like crazy, and sometimes I just hurry too much and forget to enjoy it. See it as a blessing.

This is a very good game as long as the quests stays away from forced socializing. Being forced to ask in-game friends for help or materials is the biggest reason to why I do not play free-to-play games. I have no interest whatsoever to this. You can't rely on people to actually help you, so please keep that out of the quests. The auction system is great and the few quest like adding a friend and write to them is alright. This is just how to learn that you can do this. But otherwise, yes, keep socializing out of the quests!

The graphics are great, and there is a great variations of mini-games and HOS. The music makes me nostalgic and I love that it has achievements here as well. I gives a great insight to how the everyday life is, when evil is not around and I love how you are building different from square one.

Keep up the good work!

Edited on 12/22/2013 at 9:54:48 AM PST

ThomAndJerry
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by ThomAndJerry on Dec 25, 13 1:45 PM
Any game that forces me to integrate it with Facebook is bad. I stopped using facebook long ago and I am not about to go back there just to play this ridiculous game.

MzShel
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by MzShel on Dec 26, 13 5:23 PM
The game was great at first. The music is nice and the graphics are wonderful. You complete a few quests and you go up a level and your energy is full so you can move on to the next few quests. Then, it started taking more and more points to go up levels and your energy never gets full enough to do anything. I have now reached a level where it's become unplayable unless I want to spend money on it. I don't mind tossing a few bucks into a game when it is worth it. This one isn't.
It takes so long to accumulate enough energy to complete quests. You get a single point of energy every 5 minutes. This would be okay if it didn't take 45 energy points to play a single hidden object scene. You need 12 of a certain item to complete the quest. To get those items you have to win them in the hidden object scenes. Sometimes you get the "item". Sometimes you get 3 "item". And sometimes you play the hidden object scene just to learn you got ZERO of the "item".
After sleeping for 8 hours, I have 96 energy. Meaning, I can play the scene twice before I go to work. Work for 8 hours and I have 96 energy when I get home. Play the scene twice. 4 hours later, I can play the scene one time before going to bed. That means I can realistically play the scene 5 times per day. Since there is no guarantee I will acquire the item I need, it could take weeks or even months to complete quests. Most frustrating of all was that I did manage to accumulate the blueprints the guy was asking for. The next quest was to play 3 rounds of a mini game that required me to have those stinking blueprints! So, I'm back to playing the hidden object scene over and over as I slowly accumulate energy just to get more.
I play these games to have some fun and relax. When a game becomes frustrating - like logging on only to find I don't have enough energy accumulated to play any part of it or completing a quest by giving away all the items I need to accomplish the next quest - I stop playing. I'm about at that point now. Give me a game I can play every single time I log on to it, please.
Oh, and I don't mind having "friends" in the game. But the first quest to have me ask those "friends" to give me something, and I will stop playing. I hate begging people to give me stuff and I hate being around people who beg you to give them stuff.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Dec 27, 13 2:54 PM
Whose begging? Ever heard of asking friendly and nicely?
I'm a bit surprised by some of the things I read here - so many complaints about a game that may differ in speed but gives you hours, days and weeks of game play. I am not a F2P games fan and not a not F2P games fan - when it's good it's good and this one really is very good! I've been enjoying it a lot, it's nothing like regular HOG games, I mean it is and much more! I'm just not sure I understand how these type of games work - more scenes and quests are added through time? As I did notice that all trophies for example are set to what is available now only (regardless to all the "coming soon" stuff).
But seriously, hoping there will be updates to this, I give this game an excellent review - It is a wonderful game and I'm enjoying it much and would love to see more quests and features added to it. Thank you!!

gailssong
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by gailssong on Dec 27, 13 11:09 PM
awakening series is one of my favorite. I wish I could say the same for this free game. I love the music and characterw but I am a little bored. I would have rather they created another story to it. I am a little disappointed. But I see lots of others love this and thats great. I would not tell people not to play it. Just have to find out for yourself. For me...I found it confusing not enough to keep me busy. Just hiddenobjects. I just don't get it. But I am happy people like it. For me I would be happier if it were another story to add on to the other ones.

jenak3769
Clownfish
Clownfish
958 Posts

[Post New]by jenak3769 on Jan 3, 14 11:16 AM
qpr1 wrote:" free to play" surely an oxymoron!

no interest here

lol i agree another scam, FREE my buttocks, what a joke, how about quit this crap and change the FREE to subscibe as you pay or pay to advance , uninstalled this nonsense in 20 min , good riddance,

nic2200
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by nic2200 on Jan 4, 14 1:11 AM
I posted this in another thread, but might as well post it here.

"So I woke up today and I think I had roughly 195 energy restored, which allowed me to play 3 HOS to finish one quest I had. Now I only have the quest to play the games at Trogloids (sp?). I had 0 blueprints but had miraculously managed to get to level 8 through use of diamonds. I'm not buying anymore diamonds. $25 a week is more than enough cash shelled out. In order to play level 9 I have to get two trophies in level 8. That will be 45 blueprints. Playing the Plaza takes me 65 energy points now. I was able to accumulate enough energy 2 times today to play it twice. Once I got a Blueprint, once I didn't. Since it takes over five hours to restore enough energy to play the Plaza one time, I'm estimating it will take me over two weeks of logging in every day and playing the Plaza over and over again to accumulate enough blueprints to even get to the level 9 game. Then I need 10 more.

For those that want to say that you can buy the blueprints... That would cost almost $30K and I have nowhere near that right now and it would take me longer to accumulate that much money than just trying to find them myself.

I think this is the point when I give up and move on because it has become soooo unfun. And I'm disappointed because I loved this game for the first week. It just seems like in a lot of these FTP games you get to a point where you can only play about 5 minutes a day, and/or you cannot complete quests, unless you spend a LOT of money on them. I do not think spending $25 per week on crystals is a justified expense. I bought one last week and already used it up just on energy so I could keep playing and only buying the blue soup. I don't really want to spend any more at least this month (I have to give myself a budget right?) so the game has become unplayable for me."

[Post New]by sparkynugget84 on Jan 11, 14 9:12 AM
I've made it to level 12, and so far, I'm enjoying this game. The only part of it I really don't like is the length of time it takes for your energy to refill. Five minutes for one would be fine if the scenes only took a few to complete; anything over 10 is too much with the slow refill rate. I may be putting it to rest if this doesn't change. It's not fun knowing you can only play for a few minutes a day. It's not fun enough to pay real money to stretch that time further.

[Post New]by THIMBLE4U on Jan 19, 14 7:12 AM
I 've made it to level 29 and find it enjoyable. But I do wish that the energy would speed up or not continue to raise the amount of energy needed to play the scenes. It takes too long. Example 1 energy every 5 minutes equals 12 energy every hour that means 288 energy in 24 hours and my energy is up to 345 I never have a full energy until I level up.

Once more I can now access Gobholme scene but I find sometimes it is asking for too many of one item in a location. ex. 3 vases I find 1 then when asking for hint it can't find the other 2 vases. 2 dragons I find 1 no sign of the other 1. finaly I get out of the scene it pops up and says if I return home this progress will be reset. I hit ok and return to the village and it has taken away my energy and the items I did find in the scene. I have played the scene enough times to have my second trophy but it is difficult to advance if the items are not there and it still takes your energy.

[Post New]by libragirl44 on Jan 20, 14 5:44 PM
Still can't figure out this game, but can't tear myself either! This is not free to play; constantly having to replenish energy despite having reached level 23. I must not
be getting it!

Edited on 01/20/2014 at 5:45:15 PM PST

dk413
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
469 Posts

[Post New]by dk413 on Jan 24, 14 10:46 AM
This would be a great game if only we could play it. The time it takes for your energy to fill is ridiculous. Other F2P I have played at least have talisman you can buy for game coins to speed up the time it takes for energy points. The food you can buy with game coins allows you to only play one or two scenes, not worth it.

I will stick to other F2P games that actually let you play for more than 5 or 10 minutes.

Go to: