Deb_S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

another game with audio and a black screen!

[Post New]by Deb_S on Dec 15, 13 8:16 AM
This is the third game i'I've opened in the last month or so that has audio, but no video, just a black screen. Occasionally i get a prompt to change screen resolution to 1028x something.. and when i check my res it is already set there!....
If the games do not get a preview by someone before the launch to us.. i think i will have to find a different gaming site..

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

Re:Post your Spirits of Mystery: The Silver Arrow Collector's Edition Technical Issues Here Only!

[Post New]by LarkBea on Dec 15, 13 8:53 AM
grammakk wrote:I can.t even try the trial .it goes to validating then stays on validating and starts download all over again..all my graphics are updated,adobe ..etc. everything up to speed. this is ths 6th game in the last 4-6 month that I really want to buy but tech issues don't help. I know some games do not play on all computers but when you have the series of a story why all of a sudden you can't get the rest. very frustrating.

Same issue here, Windows 7-64 bit Professional. Graphics driver and Adobe Flash up to date. Tried with IE and Firefox, stuck in download loop, tried 6 times over two days to download the game with no success.

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Post your Spirits of Mystery: The Silver Arrow Collector's Edition Technical Issues Here Only!

[Post New]by iamlindy on Dec 15, 13 11:16 AM
This game in trial shuts my computer right down. I have had this happen one other time with a trial and sent in a Dr. Felix, nothing is wrong with my computer. I usually just delete and move on but this game did it again when I tried the trial again. I really like these developers' games! But it must have some serious issues if nothing is wrong with my computer yet the game shuts it down, powers it off. No one has mentioned this happening. I am wondering if I should send in yet another Dr. Felix? Drat!!!

pjfrompa
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by pjfrompa on Dec 15, 13 11:21 AM
Same problem. Game plays full screen on windows7 pc and won't play full screen on laptop with windows8.1. I don't want to hear same old dr felix etc
I am totally upset they took away live chat. My Gateway laptop is brand new and up to date. Emailing for help takes away the 1 to 1 contact. I'd rather rely on the readers.

bfgDeveron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,934 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDeveron on Dec 15, 13 12:54 PM
Hello All,

If you've already tried the suggestions that Wendwater posted HERE, I'd definitely recommend getting in touch with our Tech Support Team with a Dr. Felix Diagnostics Report. This will allow our Reps to take a closer look at the issue and offer more targeted instructions. To do that, just click on the blue text below:

Contact Us.

I hope this helps!

bfgDeveron

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Dec 15, 13 1:25 PM
None of the "canned responses" help for the inability to validate the game issue and seems to be this game only. I have downloaded, installed and validated others with no problems whatsoever since having the problem with this game.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Dec 16, 13 11:55 AM
Hi Liddywilson,

With regards the black lines issue. I've had a reply from Tech Support and they suggested running as administrator - went through the full rigmarole of doing that and still have the same problem.

Sent a Dr Felix report and am waiting to hear back. Will keep you posted.

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Dec 17, 13 8:17 AM
Solved the mystery of the continuous download/validation failure loop after the discussion on the false positive trojan finding from Avira (my antivirus program as well). I disabled Avira long enough to download the game and it validated without problems, Immediately reenabled Avira afterwards and the game ran fine.

[Post New]by gekkee on Dec 18, 13 9:56 AM
I have tried every update and or download to try to get this game going it stops and goes to desktop what else is there to do? Cards, drives, dx update, adobe update, shockwave update, now I am just wasting my time trying to get this game started and keep going. Please help.

roesbud
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Post your Spirits of Mystery: The Silver Arrow Collector's Edition Technical Issues Here On

[Post New]by roesbud on Dec 18, 13 1:44 PM
I'm having the same problem . . but my Avira security is also blocking it...
I was really looking forward to the sale for this one.... drat!
I, too, have been having major problems. Updated all drivers and have actually messed something up that I can't identify. Downloading takes forever and access to simple sites, like Google, Facebook, Yahoo, etc. also take an excessive amount of time. Checked with my ISP and all's well there. This IS very frustrating as all BF techs say is to check drivers and other software updates. I hate to do it, but after 3 years and hundreds of downloads, the current problems are making me think about closing my membership. <<sigh>>.

Just read about disabling anti-virus... maybe I'll try that, but....

grammakk wrote:I can.t even try the trial .it goes to validating then stays on validating and starts download all over again..all my graphics are updated,adobe ..etc. everything up to speed. this is ths 6th game in the last 4-6 month that I really want to buy but tech issues don't help. I know some games do not play on all computers but when you have the series of a story why all of a sudden you can't get the rest. very frustrating.

Edited on 12/18/2013 at 1:51:34 PM PST

procats
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by procats on Dec 18, 13 4:04 PM
I downloaded the game twice and same thing. Just a black screen. Very disappointed as I have the other Spirit of Mystery games and would have enjoyed checking this out. I too have a newer computer with windows 8.1. Seems like a lot of games lately have black screens or just quit working.

[Post New]by scadell on Dec 18, 13 10:38 PM
I cannot get this game to work!!
so frustrated!
its just shows black screen then crashes.
I've tried redoing my flash player I have windows 8.1 everything is updated. why won't this game work!??
and how do I get my money back

[Post New]by mrhaimson on Dec 19, 13 1:26 PM
After my initial post, I never got my mac screen to boot up again. A week and $2300.00 later I now have a new mac. I think I will not try to redownload this game. Taking my old mac to the store (6 hours away) to see what happened with this game and my monitor as soon as the holidays are over.

another game with audio and a black screen!

[Post New]by Rhea62 on Dec 21, 13 12:36 AM
Deb_S wrote:This is the third game i'I've opened in the last month or so that has audio, but no video, just a black screen. Occasionally i get a prompt to change screen resolution to 1028x something.. and when i check my res it is already set there!....
If the games do not get a preview by someone before the launch to us.. i think i will have to find a different gaming site..

I agree. My Silver Arrow started doing this when I upgraded to Win 8.1. Naturally, it's the one of the HOGs I'm enjoying most right now.

And inexplicably, it ran once yesterday and then immediately went back to its wicked ways the next time I tried to use it.

Edited on 12/21/2013 at 12:38:53 AM PST

[Post New]by k1bcrowder on Dec 25, 13 5:05 PM
I played through regular game then started Bonus Chapter played several scenes exited the game, then restarted but didn't go to Bonus Chapter it wants me to start the game all over again.

Any suggestions?

[Post New]by mollyt on Dec 26, 13 5:47 AM
Hi
I have had trouble with a black screen on this game & Queen Tales, The Beast & the Nightingale.
Also have lines running through Nevertales The Beauty Within.
I am running Windows 8 on a Toshiba Satellite.
I got out my husband's PC which is running Windows Vista, downloaded the three games & they are all running perfectly.
I just think all the new games that are coming out are not compatible with Windows 8

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Dec 26, 13 9:16 PM
mollyt wrote:Hi
I have had trouble with a black screen on this game & Queen Tales, The Beast & the Nightingale.
Also have lines running through Nevertales The Beauty Within.
I am running Windows 8 on a Toshiba Satellite.
I got out my husband's PC which is running Windows Vista, downloaded the three games & they are all running perfectly.
I just think all the new games that are coming out are not compatible with Windows 8

Hi mollyt and welcome to the forums!

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think this issue have to do with Windows 8. I'm running Windows 8 too, recently upgraded to 8.1, and I haven't encountered any problems with my games so far, including the games you're mentioning. Have you tried to contact Customer Support? I think they could help you figuring things out.

[Post New]by mollyt on Dec 26, 13 10:45 PM
Hi Tammy

Thank you for the reply.
I have contacted Customer Support but as yet I have not had a reply. Going to see if my drivers need updating as maybe when I switched from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 something did not update.
Hope you had a great Christmas x

tammytheo
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by tammytheo on Dec 27, 13 8:45 PM
mollyt wrote:Hi Tammy

Thank you for the reply.
I have contacted Customer Support but as yet I have not had a reply. Going to see if my drivers need updating as maybe when I switched from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 something did not update.
Hope you had a great Christmas x

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that. Could it be because of the holiday season? Anyway, I hope the issue is going to be resolved for you soon, if it hasn't by now, and you'll have your games running properly again. It probably is something that needs update indeed.

Have a great New Year's Eve and an even greater year!

2teacher
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by 2teacher on Dec 29, 13 11:29 AM
chapter 2 the river the first HOP

When I restarted the game and got to this point for the 2nd time it states that the candle is already lit. There is no flint to be found. Tried several things 1)a different player 2)a different level of difficulty, 3) reinstalling the game. All to no solution. I cannot go any further in the game. What can be done?

Go to: