roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

Re:Game reviews for Alex Hunter: Lord of the Mind

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 11, 14 3:28 AM
jcsgame wrote:This is a wonderful and exceptional game.

This game rivals CE games.

It may not have the Wallpapers and morphing objects, but it has a built in Guide, Collectible Symbols (25 casual and 35 expert), Extra Game Play, and a Secret Room.

It also has a very interesting Mystery Story and extremely long game play.

The Mini Games are very well done and will make you use your grey cells.

Hidden Object portions of the game have both available and hidden objects with great clarity. There are a few areas, unfortunately where it is really dark and you cannot see the object you're looking for.

I wish there were more games like this.

I never buy CEs, and for that reason, the "extras" this game included weren't something that got me overly excited, although I did use the SG three or four times. I appreciated having it, because it meant three or four times I didn't have to exit the game to use a walk through. I only collected 22 of the secret symbols, mainly because I wasn't really looking for them, and that's okay, too. And I haven't played the bonus chapter and will probably save it for a later time. When you never buy CEs, you don't miss what you've never experienced. I just don't have that kind of money, and all that CE bonus stuff isn't important to me.

That being said, I really, really liked this game! It's easily the best game I've played this year, and I was lucky enough to discover it in time to get it on a $3.99 sale!

It's true that some of the HOS have areas that were quite dark. I also noticed quite a few discrepancies between where the map shows tasks that need doing and where the hints direct you. Often I would use the map to jump to a supposed active location only to find that something first needed to be done elsewhere before I was able to carry out the task in the location indicated by the map. Also, the button to open the map is very small, and it took me a while before I figured out where it was.

I particularly liked that the game was neither airy-fairy-fantasy nor loaded with steam punk slash Rube Goldberg contraptions which have seemed like the only available choices in games lately.

To quote goodyear1998, "what a treat this game was... thanks to the developers."

Edited on 03/11/2014 at 3:37:11 AM PST

Bat_E
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by Bat_E on Mar 14, 14 2:55 AM
I have many Big Fish hidden object adventure games and have been playing them for three years now, but I very rarely post anything on here.

I feel I have to comment because this is one of (if not THE) best games I've ever played and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Apr 18, 14 6:14 PM
Zowie! I can't believe that this is a SE ! And I got it on sale !

This is a most excellent game with lots of 'bells & whistles' just like a CE

If you are reading these reviews to help you decide IMHO the positive reviews are right on

Very good storyline, graphics, music & even a SG and jump map all in a SE? wow

I enjoyed this game and found it to be a very good length and have to give it a full out of a possible 5

Thank you Big Fish for offering such a full and rich in extras game----High 'fin-slap' Felix

Alex Hunter Great Game

[Post New]by Mspolarbear on Apr 28, 14 8:43 PM
This game was extremely well done. I enjoyed the game from start to finish. Even the bonus game was fun. I think everyone of all ages would really like playing this mixture of hidden objects and adventure.

I would definitely give this game 5 STARS plus.

Edited on 04/28/2014 at 8:46:13 PM PST

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on May 8, 14 8:08 AM
Based on the SE which stands alone very well.

A variety of things kept me quitting and coming back to this game so it seemed like it took forever to complete and after awhile I actually forgot what the story was all about in the first place.

Several things made this game ponderous to play starting with that awful inventory bar which I could not lock and kept bounding up and down, up and down and when it was full it moved back and forth horizontally...good grief.

Voice-overs were good and the annimations/graphics were great. One of the really awful things about this game were the very dark HOS. I got to where I would just keep clicking all the dark spots and would eventually turn up something...not fun or good for the eyes...and there were A LOT of HOS.

The puzzles/mini games were OK, but often the instructions were unclear and disappeared quite quickly which caused you to keep bringing them up. I did some, but skipped most, thanks to a fast skip refresh. The hint was quite slow to refresh.

The transporter map was OK...but at times I used the hint to move around as the map just took you to a place, but you had to go on your own from there...the hint (which didn't need to refresh on movement) was more effective.

Almost too many things to do and places to go...the game got a little tedious after awhile and I was glad to see it end...which it did with a very good ending. Loved the detective. Anyway I give this game a 3- out of 5.

Edited on 05/08/2014 at 8:09:17 AM PST

Tassieo
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Tassieo on Jun 22, 14 5:07 AM
I agree with Cool Grammy 1. I'm playing on IPad, couldn't get over how loong the demo' was, most other games I've played are very, very short. The HOGs were a little dark, but everything else I love. Have just bought the game.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

Enjoyable game!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Nov 10, 14 9:58 PM
I missed by one count the ability to get to the secret room yet I enjoyed the game enough to play another time. Never used the SG -- spent what would add up to a days play meaning the length of play was very good. I played the expert mode.

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Jan 2, 15 9:56 AM
I had such high hopes for this game after reading some of the revues . They were all correct ,pictures are wonderful, story line is great,music is lovely and then they tossed in a hidden object scene every 2 min !!!! WHY, the puzzles are thoughtful and not so easy you get tired of them. This game has such good qualities, who thought it was necessary to put in sooooo many HOG's ??? I hope the developers of this game stop doing this or I think they will loose a lot of folks. I am not sure I will finish this game ,I get sooo mad when up pops another HOG . and we want to pick our own difficulty level and most folks do not want sparkles ever, any place. Designers should read revues of other games and see what works and what does not I think .

Edited on 01/02/2015 at 10:00:03 AM PST

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jan 29, 15 12:19 AM
As I came to this game late, I'm just now finishing it up. I did complain in another post about the "bouncing inventory", but I learned to live with it (unhappily). On the positive side, this game is beautifully done. Artwork is great and the length is amazing. I love that the guide is included. Maybe a few too many HOS for me, but overall..... .

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Mar 3, 15 8:03 PM
Just discovered this game and can't believe how amazing it is. It is an SE that plays like a CE. It has something for everyone. I loved everything about it, even though some of the HOs were too dark. The interactions within the game were never ending, and I liked the story line. Loved the puzzles although I could not solve some of them. I am pretty good at solving puzzles and while I solved the majority of the puzzles, some, like the puzzle with the electric lights, which I thought I solved, because I lit up all the lights, was not to the specifications of the creators, and so did not count and I had to skip. Some of the puzzles were easy, others were really hard.

Because this was a SE, I did not discover the map or many other helpful features until well into the game. I really loved the way the hint button worked. This game reminded me of "Return to Ravenhearst" because it had everything you needed to play the game and solve the puzzles and it really challenged you. I had to laugh because every time I though I finished a sector, I was shocked to find I needed something else to complete the scene.

This "Lord of the Mind" really challenged my mind! I will be replaying the game again.

Edited on 03/03/2015 at 8:06:33 PM PST

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Mar 7, 15 1:38 PM
I liked everything about this game. The graphics and music were well done. There are so many nice extras in this game that you really get your money's worth...not to mention that I used a credit so it was free to begin with.

You have to collect 20 secret symbols to unlock the bonus chapter and find all 35 symbols to have access to the "secret room" (found under Extras).

Would love to find more games that have extras like this one did without having to pay so much extra like you do in a CE game.

[Post New]by lydia_gwilt on Mar 8, 15 1:48 PM
I almost never post in the forums, but have been playing for many years.

As others have said, Alex Hunter is fantastic. I had been growing really bored with the standard running around find an object to unlock a door yawn business. This game was challenging and well thought out.

My only quibble is that some of the mini-games are poorly explained (what was up with the skeleton shooting thing?).

But, over all, really, really enjoyable.

FritzBear
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by FritzBear on Apr 7, 15 11:29 AM
I can only heartily agree. It's a fantastic, clever and well conceived games. Much better than the average CE. A very pleasant graphic work as well.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Apr 25, 15 7:24 AM
one the best games ever , loads to do and see !! Lots of Mini games , some needed to get the grey cells working . One problem, there did not seem to be a way of resetting the Mini Games to the opening board....There was one game I needed the Walkthrough but was unable to do so because I could not reset the game ... other than that Loved it, Still playing the Bonus game !!

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Apr 25, 15 2:01 PM
I haven't posted for a good while - rather afraid to voice an opinion here any more! - but I just finished this game and had to say how much I thoroughly liked it. An SE with a bonus chapter AND a secret room, too good to be true. It took me about 12 hours to finish as there were about a bazillion locations and a very large number of difficult puzzles with no reset button, so the choice was work away for hours, or hit the skip button. I got the game in a 2fer (that's BOGO to you outside of Canada) and it was worth every bit of the price.

It's a very basic game - no helpers, no animation, not a lot of colour - but good basic HOs and very challenging puzzles. I enjoyed the character of the police sergeant and followed the plot fairly well. I usually ignore the silly plots and just play the game, but it was easy to understand this plot. The bonus game took about 2 hours, and the secret room (obtained by finding 32 of the 35 really obvious secret symbols) took about 10 minutes. I didn't understand about the ending - once I finished the secret room, I was told I could access the secret files, and there weren't any I could see, except the ones I had already found.

The only negative aspect to this game was the bouncing, unlockable inventory, but other than that, it was just a great game.

Edited on 04/26/2015 at 12:49:09 PM PST

Go to: