Reviews for Midnight Castle

lady_sabelle
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,162 Posts

Re:Reviews for Midnight Castle

[Post New]by lady_sabelle on Jan 25, 14 11:02 AM
Overall the game's visuals are wonderful and the quest elements make it addictive. However there are some major drawbacks. Wait times for HOS are annoying but made infinitely worse when you don't get the item you are looking for! Over and Over and Over. If there was a way to choose which item you got then there would be a strategy element to the game that would make it MUCH more enjoyable. It would allow players to focus on goals rather than be tossed around by the whims of random chance. I am unwilling to waste precious money on something that is ultimately a frustrating time sink hole. Especially when I can't even get an edge in the game by careful planning or intelligent play.
I understand the need to make money on the game and designing it accordingly. But the game needs to be fun BEFORE you have to spend money on it rather than needing to spend money just to move forward. So unless something changes in the game play the only money they will be getting from me is my 2 cents.

Edited on 01/25/2014 at 11:33:01 AM PST

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Jan 25, 14 4:36 PM
This is certainly a very pretty game, and I might like to play it. However, I don't consider staring into space waiting for a HO scene to "cool down" to be "playing" any game.

I'm only level 3. There are 2 HO scenes I can play, and both are up to 3 minute waits. Most of the time, I don't get the item I need anyway - so what's the bloody point? IT's just not enjoyable, nor is it a good use of my limited gaming time.

[Post New]by katrinaceleste on Feb 5, 14 9:03 PM
awalkinglady wrote:Really do enjoy this game. The biggest problem for me is the excruciatingly long wait times. And the more you complete the HOS, the longer the wait time becomes. Most of mine are at and hour long wait. If there were other things to do, it wouldn't be too bad but all you can do is hunt for flowers.

Another issue is that the quests seem to all focus on one area. This makes it much more difficult to complete as you end up waiting and waiting. Perhaps it might be better if the quests dealt with more than one HOS so that you would have more to do.

I agree with above post, They expect you to explore a certain amount of scenes within a half hour yet there is not way you can accomplish that since you have to wait an hour between searches. I don't mind things getting a little more challenging as you go along, but not to the point of near impossibility. I am already getting sick of the game after about a week, and at first I thought it was awesome. The rewards should be better for all the challenges. The more challenging it becomes the more costly, so where is the incentive to continue on? I am ready to give up all the "free to play" games and go back to the way I used to with the regular games you buy once a month.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Feb 9, 14 9:10 PM
I like this game because you play it when you have a little extra time in between other games. It's really easy HOS, and multiple locations will give you different items to sometimes be used on a different location to actually get what you need for a specific quest. I just really loved the artwork, the graphics, and the way that I can play it whenever I want to, and not have to be back online at a specific time. I did install a recent update, not sure if that helped anything, or not. But also, you get coins when you enter the game everyday, and by clicking on the flowers that will pop up, usually around where your cursor is. You get 5 flowers = 10 coins and then after a while you get diamonds. Not to mention a lot of different achievements which will reward you either in coins or diamonds. It's a fun game. And there isn't much to remember or think about since the item you are trying to find has a little button beneath it saying "find" and it takes you where you need to be. All in all its been a fun game to play, nothing to rush around about, and not much difficult thinking, which sometimes for me is a huge plus.

pclark200
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by pclark200 on Feb 15, 14 6:10 AM
Love this game! I'm a HOG fan, and Elephant games knows how to do them the right way. I'm on level 14, and have had very few glitches. Love the graphics and the music. There is just enough difference in the hidden object scenes that it keeps it challenging. I am trying to play for as close to free as possible. So far have spent $4 buying diamonds, but that is it. I just use the waiting time to do stuff around the house. Understand that not everyone can have that option, but so far it is working fine for me. Can't wait until we see what is in the new update so the game can continue. Thanks to all the posters who clued me in to the issue with level 18. I'm getting close and just taking my time with the game in the hopes that the new content will be ready before I get there!

safetykim
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by safetykim on Feb 18, 14 6:13 PM
I made it up to level 13 and just simply got bored. It's the same few HOS scenes over and over. It's a cool game for a while but at this point, I've started logging on once a day only to give all my stockpiled stuff away to friends, and once it's gone I'm uninstalling. Faster progress to more unlockable areas would keep this game a bit more interesting!

dvmmwebb
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by dvmmwebb on Feb 19, 14 10:06 AM
The game itself is great but it only goes to level 18. Don't be fooled by any persons who request you as a friend who is on a level in the 20's You'll be locked out at level 18. Develop ALOT of patience. Theres quite a bit of waiting to be done after you reach level 6. I mean hours and hours and hours........................ No joke unless you are willing to spend ALOT of money on purchases for a game that is offered for free. Most expensive game I ever played! Many quests will require you to find items in the same place over and over and over again. You'll receive quests that require you to visit the same spot again and again and each time it takes another hour to "refresh" unless you purchase the item. But don't worry its easy to repurchase and repurchase etc. until you realize you just spent $30 plus on a free game! And you haven't even reached level 18 yet. This is the magic number! You will be locked out at that time so do not make any new purchased just before you reach that level. You won't be able to use whatever you buy!

ku4o
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by ku4o on Feb 19, 14 10:49 AM
I certify, that all written by " dvmmwebb" , true.
ID 74591, "ku4o", locked out of the game by BF at 18th level on 02/05/2014 around 16:00 local time

Edited on 02/19/2014 at 10:58:46 AM PST

[Post New]by blundering_fool on Feb 25, 14 7:53 AM
Loving the game so far - only complaints:
1) Why oh why can you only play with a live internet connection????? This is my biggest gripe. I would love to be able to play the game when I have no internet available. I am able to do that with "Awakenings Kingdom" which also uses an internet connection - but that game allows you to play offline as well. Just a thought?
2) I agree with some other reviewers here, the time lapse between scenes is so long. At first it's ok, though you're still wandering around waiting for the scene to re-open. But 30 minutes? And I gather when I reach the next level it's going to be an hour? Ok, I can handle playing once a day, because with that re-load rate that's all I'd be able to play online. Of course if the scene re-load time was shorter then the game would be that much more addictive.

So overall rating is 3.5 -
Challenge = 5
Fun = 4
Availability =2

By the way Love the collectable flowers - just wish they gave a diamond more often.

P.S. - As some other reviewers posted about spending money on the game - I am not so inclined. It is a free to play game, therefore I am not going to go buying coins or diamonds just so I can continue to play or play faster. Although it is addictive to use what diamonds you have collected to speed things up - but nope, not gonna spend money on it - especially if it just stops at level 18. (I am currently at level 8)

Edited on 02/25/2014 at 7:59:45 AM PST

[Post New]by Duncan_14all on Feb 25, 14 2:07 PM
Hi all out there,

I quote myself, written on Jan 13.

"This game will cost me a few years of my life, when we have to play the HOS over and over again to reach WHAT? I suppose I deserve a mention in The Guiness Book of Records, the guy that played Midnight Castle 10 years to earn nothing but grey hair and fear for HOS-games."

Twelve days later I was locked out after reaching level 18 + a few days.

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Mar 10, 14 12:08 PM
played for while until I had to update, for being a free game can only play for awhile before they want you to buy. Deleted

[Post New]by Lilly_Belle25 on Mar 21, 14 12:54 AM
Duncan_14all wrote:Hi all out there,

I quote myself, written on Jan 13.

"This game will cost me a few years of my life, when we have to play the HOS over and over again to reach WHAT? I suppose I deserve a mention in The Guiness Book of Records, the guy that played Midnight Castle 10 years to earn nothing but grey hair and fear for HOS-games."

Twelve days later I was locked out after reaching level 18 + a few days.

Be grateful you have hair. Some men would love to have any hair - even grey.

quiet5
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by quiet5 on Mar 21, 14 5:50 AM
Reached level 17 - but I just can't take the repetitious quests.

I can deal with needing multiples of the same access item
I can also accept having to get 2 different items from the same source

BUT IT IS TEDIOUS to be given a single task that requires obtaining 4 identical items that can only be obtained from a source that requires mutiples of the same access item

BORING

And I see that having friends will apparently be a requirement at a higher level.
Not interested

It's already not fun to feel stalled on the quests. There isn't enough variation in the search sites, so there is little entertainment value to just playing them for no purpose

I am uninstalling.

Figgy49
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Figgy49 on Mar 21, 14 7:38 PM
I'm sitting at level 22 - waiting and hoping that you will get Henry going so I can complete the runes (only need 1 more). I understand that it takes time to put the game together but some ETA would be helpful.

As for being bored, there are other things to achieve besides the quests. For instance, I now have 5 pets and several friends. I have also collected lots of flowers and shipped quite a few airships. I do agree that some of the rewards seem paltry for the effort involved to obtain them....and not everyone would enjoy these "side" tasks. It feels like "hurry up and wait" things to do.

My biggest headache was getting through the witch and Skull Pete at Mirror Lake. Going around in circles was very frustrating. I eventually wrote down what and how many times some things needed to be crafted to complete the quests. There have been lots of comments about going around and around. If this was just a delaying device, it certainly cooled off a lot of the enthusiasm - mine included.

Overall the layout and graphics are very good. It has the look of a "winner" but given the level of frustration, I'm not surprised that you have lost players.

Edited on 03/24/2014 at 11:20:57 AM PST

[Post New]by SimplySharon on Mar 23, 14 9:22 PM
I'm only lvl 8 but I am truly enjoying this game. It's interesting, relaxing and isn't so easy that you get bored and not so difficult that you want to tear your hair out LOL.

The ambient music is pleasant.

I'm not sure how long it take to complete this game but I'd love to see it evolve into an ongoing one as I think it's really fun.

W123
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by W123 on Mar 24, 14 6:20 PM
I'm currently on level 21 and enjoy the game to a point. I figure the game ends at level 22 since I haven't noticed any friends past that level. I agree with previous comments that it's frustrating when multiple quests require the same items. It's as if the developer decided to delay completing the level or game by running players in circles. It's not as bad as being locked out but close to it.

To get the Claws of the West you need the Astral Projection and Seal of Obedience. To get these two items, I need two more items which all require the Pirate Standard for a total of four times. Astral Projection - Spawn of Light - Six Paws - Pang of Conscience - Mirror of Embarrassment - Pirate Standard - Soul Selector - Tear of Impurity - Run Altar - Amulet of Challenge - Symbol of Holy Fire - Chained Chest - Grasping Handle which comes from the HOG in the area with the dragon. To need the Pirate Standard four times means all the other items after it are needed four times. Frustrating!

Edited on 03/24/2014 at 7:01:41 PM PST

pjmatt
Clownfish
Clownfish
504 Posts

[Post New]by pjmatt on Mar 25, 14 4:29 PM
I have been on "Bow Figurine" for 5 days. I see no end to this. My OCD won't let me walk away. But its play 5 to 15 minurtes and wait an hour. Frustrating!!!!!!

[Post New]by AnGeLlBaBie68 on Apr 1, 14 5:13 PM
Well darn ... I'm at rank 18 I think and I simply love it .allllllllllllll of it including the music the HOP's THE PURCHASING GEMS ETC IFFFFFF YOU WISH TO OR NOT. I love the time between searches this is when I check for new gifts, craft something up. pick up posies to fill my achievements, spin wgeels play dice .try to find the dragon I haven't found yet or fill pack and send air ships or heck trot to the next HOP and stockpile all my goodies... psst btw all my froends I added are names I made up lol after my family fb blows don't need it unless you like drama lol btw im 68 yrs old and 70% blind from diabetes it see any hos better I just tip my laptop to take away any glare or dark spots and I'm fine .... this game is so addicting I played the 1st 3 days non stop no sleep lol I really feel some of you are trying to think too much into it just let it breathe also do your homework read the midnight castle walkthrough if you must it's there for that purpose. but the main thing is allow it time to get use too it it's an awesome. vivid, colorful, exciting. game that gives you many opportunities and freedoms to do or not to do ...as far as the rewards sure some wont be that great some will they can't just hand u it all on a silver platter now can they ??? NOT lol enjoy the magic the brilliance this guy put into this game. and plz don't judge too quick n be wrong send out the wrong opinion to ppl that may like giving it a chance ty for listening to this old gramma great gramma and avid gammer who loves Harry POTTER some didn't like due to magic n wizards and look at the money it's made and those that don't like D&D but never has played
trust this old bag it's a great game my 3 yr old gr. gandaughter IZZY loves helping find stuff shes awesome at it it's a great teaching tool too ENJOY MDF'S

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 7, 14 8:10 PM
So apparently the March update was to allow people on level 18 to advance. However, since I have surpassed level 18, new quests were added, and now I'm stuck on Level 22 with NOTHING to do because ANOTHER update is needed. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but there are supposedly 1000 quests and right now I believe I have 490?? If an update is only going to advance you 4 levels and then you have to wait for yet another update, it's time to move on. I initially thought, maybe, by chance, I could play a little everyday, earn some coins by playing at different locations, meanwhile gathering items that will be needed to hopefully craft future items. HA! This game has gone absolutely bonkers. I've tried going to the bow of the ship where you have those 3 artifacts you need to craft, by crafting the buckle on the satchel, and the guns on the flag, etc. BUT the game shows you where to find the items, but WILL NOT give you the items you need. Definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result!!

ljmb21
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ljmb21 on Apr 16, 14 11:29 AM
Love the game but ever since the new update in March, this game is not giving enough blue tickets to craft the many items needed for leprechaun guy. I have been playing two days several times a day and got only 2 blue tickets.

Go to: