Re:Game Reviews for Shadow Shelter

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jan 20, 14 8:54 PM
This game has some interesting features that makes it unique. the eeriness alone is probably worth a coupon. Unfortunately, I've lost a few too many brain cells and couldn't follow the story line and I couldn't remember where I was. You younger players may have better luck

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 21, 14 7:07 AM
This isn't exactly the kind of game you can say "I thoroughly enjoyed that experience", only because it's dark (as much in theme as in visuals) and it's creepy (in a kind of decrepit, rancid, filthy, falling apart manor house way), but oh boy, this one draws you in and won't let go.

There's no hand-holding here, even on 'Easy' mode. The map is a teleport map, but it can take quite a long time to move between scenes. Whilst you are waiting to go to a different room, your screen will show a quasi map with footprints moving around. At first I thought this must be significant in terms of moving to different areas, but 'no' it's just a time killer whilst you wait to go there. No biggie. At least it's not a frozen screen as we had recently with another game.

Your Inventory, unusually, is at the top of the screen in this game, but what is vexing a lot of players is that the areas to unlock are mostly accessed to the left and right towards the bottom of your screen when your cursor changes to a large directional arrow. Hence, it's easy to go wandering around and around with no clue as to where to go because your map doesn't label locations. Even when you have objectives, you are often told "nothing more to do here".

There are an awful lot of HOGs and no puzzles. The HOGs are lists and others you need to find from sketched drawings. These are often ambiguous and I spent ages looking for items I thought they depicted, when they were something else entirely.

Also, in the demo my Hint button didn't work at all, but when I bought the game I had no problems, so the above was frustrating.

You have a 'helper' in the form of a real hand, which I call 'Thing' (The Addams Family). There's also a real boy actor who reminds me of Damian from The Omen. Other than that, and the general spooky atmosphere, I haven't come across any huge spiders. The animals you shoot early on are already dead and stuffed. You're shooting nothing but Taxidermy and putting them out of their misery at that, as you are freeing their spirits. I don't see anything really occult or offensive in this one.

Once you 'get' how the game mechanics work and you get used to those drawings in the HOS, this is a clever game that makes you think, doesn't babysit you and is entirely deserving of spending a credit or PCC on it.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jan 21, 14 11:12 AM
After a long way, I finally finished the game !

Actually, I don't know if I liked it or not. The game was so dark, and many, many HOS.

The journal helped you a lot, and look at the map in the top right, and click where you have exclamation marks ( as !).

I get lost when I tried to go to the basement, and I discovered this map.

Also read the tasks, if not you get completely confused.

The Hint button is useless, it took 5 min. to refill in Easy mode, and only said nothing to do here!

The journal explains all the clues, but it's so disorganized, sometimes you don't know the explanations.

I guess by chance I finished, cost me more than LFG !!!

Happy gaming ,
M.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Jan 21, 14 11:14 AM
As Tiger said, was a good game for a pcc!

Also I started a new game, and I corrected the Hint button to the right, and is working perfectly!

I strongly recommend this game, it's not easy!

Only con, it's so dark, but not impossible, and I consider myself only a intermediate player !
M.

Edited on 01/21/2014 at 12:33:26 PM PST

[Post New]by fuzzypinkslipper on Jan 21, 14 10:12 PM
This is the first time that I have reviewed a game. I liked this one. My only complaints are the cursor, i had a really hard time controlling it. Also the long wait while the footprints walked all over the map when I wanted to change rooms. I was stuck quite a few times. I had to close the game and restart it 4 times before I could complete it. I found it challenging at times but, overall I liked it.

[Post New]by elvenstardragon on Jan 22, 14 7:58 AM
I too have completed the game!!. What a brilliant game. Congratulations to the Devs at Nevosoft. I hope they have more games in the pipeline and I can't wait for the next one.
Please BF pass on my congratulations and a plea for more games like this. One of the best games I've played in a long while. Everything about it was good. You have to think outside the box for a change and figure things out for yourself.
I hope it won't be too long before we get another game from this Dev.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jan 22, 14 10:56 AM
This could have been an amazing game! I didn't mind all the HO scenes but that map with the constant shuffling of footprints here and there drove me crazy as did the hint that took FOREVER to fill. There is no clear instructions at all and not having a Walkthrough or SG to prod one in the right direction is annoying....and by the time the hint loaded I got tired and frustrated and just gave up. There is a map which shows whether something needs to be done but you have no idea and the "hint" tells you nothing. It just needed a bit more work in my opinion....so it is a no for me.

grammy1957
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by grammy1957 on Jan 22, 14 1:52 PM
Great game! The only thing I didn't care for was the "loading" going from room to room.

allibee4d
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by allibee4d on Jan 22, 14 4:11 PM
Thanks folks for the well rounded reviews - always a good idea to come here first if a game has a mediocre star rating. I tried it anyway - I love HOGs and investigative type games. I'm heartily fed up of occult and ghostly material though. However, as they're the ones that seem to keep popping up, I give them a go.

However, this one started badly for me - and to be fair to the game makers, I must have clicked too quickly to begin this game because I was simply plonked at the front door of the old creepy house. So dark! I appreciate that this IS an old, creepy house, but crikey! For some reason, a click on the frozen lady's pocket produced a useful item, but that was just a random click, as was obtaining the mug from the middle of the table! Couldn't actually see it because there was a frozen man sat in front of it.

Made me stop playing. Such tiny items, bizarrely concealed, plinky-plonky music - again, to be fair, it's thematic - and a very dark adventure. Due to the HOGs generally in many of the games I play on here, my eyesight is deteriorating! Please game makers, do help a lady by making items to collect at least the teeniest bit visible?!

Still love playing all the games though - thank you for all who contribute, you're all life-savers - especially for those of us who are chronically ill. Bless you! x

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 22, 14 11:35 PM
Just finished, and it was a long one, for me, and I really liked playing this one. Thought it was at times extremely clever, and brilliant, and absolutely haunting. They put a lot of work into the scenes and I did take time to gaze and appreciate. This one made me think, not in a way that was frustrating,, but more intuitive-like puzzling, although I did have to get a couple of tips from this forum All in all, I enjoyed this one much more than I have many here lately. Not often that one comes along like this...sure wish there were at least a few more coming down the pike. I highly recommend this one if you like solving mysteries vs mundane, illogical, task oriented fluff.

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Jan 23, 14 3:32 AM
I loved this game. A lot of people said it was too dark. It was crystal clear on my computer. The map was very useful and the game was easy to navigate. The only thing I hated about the game was having to sit through the credits. No matter where I clicked or how many times I clicked, I couldn't exit the game until the credits was done.

fluffyalso
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by fluffyalso on Jan 24, 14 9:49 AM
I also loved this game with only a few negatives. Wait time between scenes and a little too dark for my 66yr old eyes. Very nice change from ordinary. Hope developer has more games in the pipeline. Glad another fish mentioned map in upper right corner, cause that made a big difference in game play. Just remember you have to think like the developer and game will be a lot of fun.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Jan 25, 14 2:40 AM
Based on the demo.

The creep factor in this game was over one hundred percent, just the way I like it, with people turned to stone, a very creepy little child roaming the mansion, stuffed and mounted animals and fish that come to life and need to be killed again.

The music was eerie and creepy throughout the demo, sometimes very unnerving, just the way I like it.

Graphics were great. It doesn't get any creepier than these graphics and photographs.

Hidden objects and mini puzzles (and there were plenty of them) were challenging, fun, entertaining and engaging.

If you are a fan of eerie, dark, and creepy this one's for you.

SLVRFX101
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by SLVRFX101 on Jan 25, 14 11:53 AM
pjplanner wrote:This game showed so much promise with its inventive and scary graphics and sound effects. However, the constant tramping from room to room when you change location and the incessant HOS made this a no buy for me. So many HOS!! you lose the story line and lose your bearings. What a shame! I thought this was going to be an exciting new game but it became very boring very quickly.

Liked it and bought it, BUT the map and back and forth drive me crazy I like going room to room and finding my way a little harder sometimes but the back and forth I DON'T LIKE

[Post New]by cutiepiegamer on Jan 25, 14 2:26 PM
Really love this game,but please developers,if there is to be a part 2 (hopefully) please shorten the travel time between certain rooms,that is my only gripe. Everyone has their own taste but i hope that people give this game a try,even if its just for the trial period. Very interesting game...

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Jan 26, 14 9:46 AM
I liked the games setting in the castle. Love the large rooms and furnishings in each one. A little too dark to my liking, had to put light feature all the way up to find things. Didn't care for the back and forth to map and hint button was unnecessarily too long. I got to end trying to find tablet and sheets but by the time I got through a few clicks, the screen froze. Kept going back and forth and finally gave up, couldn't see tablet/pages. My patience worn thin, I probably won't be playing again as I do with other purchases.

poppy45
Clownfish
Clownfish
834 Posts

[Post New]by poppy45 on Jan 27, 14 3:51 PM
bfgDeveron wrote:Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the reviews thread! Please feel free to post your thoughts and feedback on Shadow Shelter here. We appreciate the time you take to put your reviews together, and I know other gamers and the developers do as well. We just have a few guidelines to keep in mind when posting. Our goal with these is to keep the thread tidy, easy to navigate and helpful.

Review Guidelines

1) Be sure to keep your reviews on-topic. Reviews in this thread should only be commenting on Shadow Shelter.
2) Be respectful of the reviewers. Please keep in mind our <a href="http://forums.bigfishgames.com/faqs/list.page">Forum Rules</a> and be respectful of our reviewers. They take the time to post here to be helpful. Please do not review the reviews of others.
3) Do not respond to someone else’s reviews with questions or comments If you have any feedback about a review, or you feel that a review contains incorrect details about the game, please contact the poster directly via PM.
4) Do not review developers. While we do appreciate your feedback, we’d ask that you keep your posts in this thread dedicated to the specific game at hand.

*Moderators will be removing any content in this thread that is not a review.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to PM a Moderators,

bfgDeveron

[Post New]by irssecretary on Jan 28, 14 12:27 AM
I have never posted a game review, but this little game was so good, it deserved a high 5 from me. Granted I finished it in one evening, but I still enjoyed it very much. A mash up of different types of Hidden Object scenes, puzzles that weren't built with Einstein in mind, I could actually do all of them, which is good because I didn't see a skip button anywhere! My grandson was very happy about that, he hates it when I skip a puzzle, says they are good for my brain!

Anyway, I really enjoyed the spooky atmosphere of the game and the little boy trying to be scary, cute! But the house had a very, very spooky feel to it. I just really enjoyed the game and hope there will be more from this developer!

Thank you for a fun evening!

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Jan 31, 14 11:08 AM
Well, not a great game for me. Maybe I am a little spoiled by the CE's out there, currently, however, I was enticed by the "dark, eeriness" of the game description along with the rummaging through an old estate. Normally, I like these types of games. My problem is if you are going to inundate the game with HOS, at least be consistent with a list of items you have to find, or even the pictorial list is fine, but a crude hand drawing of an item that looks like it barely made it to the Concept art of the game is so below standard today. I didn't mind, so much when you clicked on an item, you have gears, knowing you have to do something, but the game doesn't tell you anything about what you have to do, or where you have to go. The only direction you get is if you choose the wrong path, then the little guy pops up and pretty much shoves you back into the room you just came out of. Even the "journal" was a bit far-fetched. I mean you have black/white animated drawings of a "history" and I'm sorry, but the Fellowship of the Thistle, just made me laugh really hard. I could not take this game seriously at all. I have purchased over 400 games and played all of them, however, if the reviews are basically what I have in my head, then I generally don't repeat. But this was not worth a freebie coupon, or a credit, or a $4.99 special. Just because the subject matter is "dark" does not mean you have to make every scene literally dark to the point where you really can't make anything out, whether its a HOS or just a room you've entered. In addition, initially you have to find these "valves". One of them is added to your inventory. Then in a HOS you have to find a "switch"....and you guessed it is the exact same picture of the "valve" you just added to inventory. There is a difference between a valve and a switch, however, I don't think the dev's put that much thought into these types of situations. So my biggest complaint is consistency with items and their names. Having a map on a scroll, which allows you to only access part of this mansion, is utterly ridiculous. If you want to check previous areas for available actions ( ! ) then you have to use the arrows to go back and forth through the scroll. I suppose when you spend that much time on that sort of map, you don't really put your all into making a really good item list for your HOS. So much potential and such a let down. I do not recommend this game. Sorry.

[Post New]by intruder97 on Jan 31, 14 8:24 PM
Dark themed, fascinating, quirky - I love it!!

Go to: