Getting what you want

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Getting what you want

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 18, 14 12:10 PM
imppixie wrote:I am trying to get to the Mountain Troll but every time I follow the steps I don't get the item needed. I click on the icon for the torch and it leads me to the crypt, but once I play the HOS, it gives me something totally unrelated to the quest. I've done it three times now with no success.

Any thoughts on why it's not working for this quest? Or is there another HOS that might give me the torch? Thanks for any help you can provide =)
You have to do the other quests in the area and one of the Characters will tell you when you can search for the torch to open the other area. Even if you have a torch and enough gold you can't go there until you have completed some other quests that trigger that area to be open.

The "getting what you want" works but you have to wait for the quest to be given by the other character.

Edited on 02/18/2014 at 12:13:41 PM PST

high_ridge
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by high_ridge on Feb 28, 14 3:07 PM
If you need an item that's not directly needed for a quest, try putting it on your gifting wish-list as the only item before you first open up the Wheel of Fortune for your first (free) spin of the day.

It's not a sure-fire solution, but it does seem to improve the odds of the item appearing on the wheel and of winning it when you spin.

I first noticed it when I won the same item for my free spin and my $100 spin a couple of days in a row - and hey, it was on my wish-list! So then I experimented and it seems to me that there is a significant effect.

Has to be done before you first open up the wheel for your free spin, though. Seems to have no effect if you see an item on the wheel and THEN put it on your wish-list.

These days, if I need a crafted item in a quest - particularly one of those that just goes on for ever - then I put it in my wish-list when I'm working on it. A real bonus if I get it from the Wheel and no harm done if I don't. Got TWO Crafty Leprechauns today!

Also got an egg that way last week, after many weeks of just waiting and hoping.

maggiefromOK2
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by maggiefromOK2 on Mar 1, 14 12:56 AM
I understand that you get so called random items from hos when not on a quest for that hos, but come on getting the same item all the time is hardly random, I've got 20-25 of some items and none of others.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 1, 14 3:14 PM
This information is so helpful and saves so much frustration that this topic should be stickied.

AnnaDownes01
Flounder
Flounder
2,175 Posts

[Post New]by AnnaDownes01 on Mar 1, 14 11:09 PM
maggiefromok2,

If you are getting a lot of one item you may be needing them for future quests. I had a lot of mournful Fangus ,or should that be Fangi,& Raven's Eyes & Strangers Badges, those lazy modern strangers that won't walk, & found I used them later. Several of the quests need two each of some items.

[Post New]by jefflowrey1 on Mar 2, 14 11:16 AM
You are right, But if you go to crafts and hit on an item 'Find' if its not one of your quests list you might not get it. you will get something different. Jeff #101918

[Post New]by whitebutterfly54 on Mar 2, 14 2:30 PM
Amerzone,

This was a terrific hint..it really does work to give you exactly what you want. I've also noticed that it also works when you need to craft items in the lab. Use the same steps you outlined, and you will be sure to get items you need.

Great tip!

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Mar 3, 14 1:04 PM
I did find that if two of your quests need an item from the same place, you might not get the item that you were "find"ing but the item for the other quest. In either case you get something you need, just maybe not the one you wanted. (Does anybody else hear Mick Jagger singing in the background?)
RosieBVT

bayouguy
Clownfish
Clownfish
815 Posts

[Post New]by bayouguy on Mar 13, 14 6:19 AM
I am resurrecting this topic again because I think this tactic might not be working after the update.

I have only two quests open and they each require the same item (Riveted Disk). I followed the quest all the way through the crafting process and then through the find button. I played the HOS and got an item that was of no use to either quest.

In the past if you followed a quest through the crafting process it would lead to an item that was currently needed in some quest (maybe not the one you wanted but at least one you needed).

I plan on continuing to play, but if they have changed that "feature" AMF Midnight Castle.

Edited on 03/13/2014 at 6:22:27 AM PST

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Mar 13, 14 6:39 AM
Someone else already mentioned this problem so you are correct. Get what you want does not work in the new areas of the update. This will probably be where I slowly back away from the game. I don't know yet, I'm still on level 18.

bayouguy
Clownfish
Clownfish
815 Posts

[Post New]by bayouguy on Mar 13, 14 7:02 AM
It certainly will make the game much harder and the temptation to buy diamonds to keep a lively pace in the game will be much greater. And that means I am on the way out also.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 18, 14 7:45 PM
I am bringing this up so people will know how to use the "Find Path" or sometimes called "getting what you want " now that the March 18th update has fixed it.

Edited on 03/18/2014 at 7:45:50 PM PST

[Post New]by Bethanytailfin on Jul 30, 14 1:46 PM
Hi, I'm new to this game & loving it but I'm having the same problem a impixie. I've tried the suggestion from amerzone but no luck. How do I buy the lamp?

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Jul 30, 14 1:53 PM
Hi Bethany, there is a small glitch early on in the game (I suppose it could be called a glitch). Possibly you have run into it. Tell us where you are, what quests you have, what level you are on, etc. I don't know what lamp you are speaking of but would like to help.

There is also a lot of helpful threads and strategy guides in the stickied posts at the beginning of this forum 'Helpful links for Midnight Castle'.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/274420.page

this one helps you find the emerald key at the beginning of the game.

Edited on 07/30/2014 at 4:43:30 PM PST

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Jul 30, 14 4:44 PM
Hey Amerzone,

Thanks so much for posting that link and pointing Bethanytailfin to such a great resource! I've gone ahead and made the link clickable for easy access.

bfgVaiya

Amerzone
Clownfish
Clownfish
930 Posts

[Post New]by Amerzone on Jul 30, 14 7:26 PM
Bethany, this is what LizzieK says to Imppixie:

imppixie wrote:I am trying to get to the Mountain Troll but every time I follow the steps I don't get the item needed. I click on the icon for the torch and it leads me to the crypt, but once I play the HOS, it gives me something totally unrelated to the quest. I've done it three times now with no success.

Any thoughts on why it's not working for this quest? Or is there another HOS that might give me the torch? Thanks for any help you can provide =)

You have to do the other quests in the area and one of the Characters will tell you when you can search for the torch to open the other area. Even if you have a torch and enough gold you can't go there until you have completed some other quests that trigger that area to be open.

The "getting what you want" works but you have to wait for the quest to be given by the other character.

silver_hawk
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,532 Posts

[Post New]by silver_hawk on Jul 30, 14 7:38 PM
If you've finished ALL the quests and the very last thing to do is to open the area that requires the Torch and coins and you can't get the Torch from the HOS then:

You can get a Torch for 3 diamonds.

Go the Burnt Tree next to the Crypt. Click on the + above the picture of the torch to get for 3 diamonds. DO NOT use it on the Tree. Just back out and go use the torch to open the locked area provided you also have the required coins also.

Go to: