dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Feb 11, 14 9:39 AM
Nope, no demo, no buy. I've been caught on this type of thing before. Burned once, but not twice.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Feb 11, 14 10:26 AM
Nancy Drew games can be both fun and frustrating. I have most of them and enjoyed them all. Its hard to get through them sometimes though without the help of a walkthrough..

I won't be getting this game due to the fact that the location for this game is in a research facility and movement is restricted to 2 floors which means using an elevator a lot and also there are no outdoor scenes. (according to one of the sites that review the Nancy Drew games).

dippydebby
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by dippydebby on Feb 11, 14 10:28 AM
I agree with most of you on here, no demo, no play!
Why wouldnt there be a demo available? That is what REALLY puzzles me!!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Feb 11, 14 10:36 AM
I think I read somewhere a long while ago that the reason why demos or samples aren't available for these games is that they are Large File (Adventure) Games.

This one is 2.12 GB, which is at least double of even the most involved HOPAs, hence no demo.

If you know you like these type of adventure games (lots of walking around and having a load of conversations with characters), I guess you may need to take a leap of faith. If you really, really hate it I'm sure Big Fish will see you right, in one way or another.

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Feb 11, 14 10:47 AM
wvdeedee wrote:Some of the Nancy Drew games are better than others. I am not a huge fan of games where you have to pick the conversations. Also, this is an older game. It was released in October 2012.

I love those. I think the Nancy Drew Dossier games have those. I prefer the Dossier games because the puzzles are a tad easier.

I have to peek at a walkthrough for all of the regular Nancy Drew games. Some puzzles I can get but there are a few that baffle me. I've yet to meet a Nancy Drew game that I didn't like.

If you buy the game and don't like it, BFG will refund you. I've bought large file games in the past and had to refund them. Syberia was one of them. I hated that game.

Large file games typically don't have trial versions.

Edited on 02/11/2014 at 10:50:44 AM PST

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Feb 11, 14 11:42 AM
Kayen59 wrote:Nancy Drew games are not created by BFG, that is why there is no trial version.

Most of the games BFG offers are not created by them but have trial versions. BFG is only the distributor and, as far as I know, the Mystery Case Files series is the only series actually created by BFG.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 11, 14 3:03 PM

Well I NOTiced in the FORum it's an adventure gaME.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 11, 14 3:46 PM
There is a free demo of this game available for download on another game site. I am a member on that other site so I get games there all the time. You don't have to be a member to download the free trial.

To find it you can do a google search for:
nancy drew deadly device free trial

orphaned
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,080 Posts

[Post New]by orphaned on Feb 11, 14 3:47 PM

dear steve_san:

Hi larious !!!!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 11, 14 4:32 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:
steve_san wrote:
Well I NOTiced in the FORum it's an adventure gaME.

I like that!
But, according to BFG, a lot of games you do like are considered "adventure" games. You are almost as picky as I am! I am not sure what "adventure" means anymore than I understand "large file."

Guilty, I guess. Compared to a lot of other fishes, I AM picky, or at least my game ratings tend to be lower than some other reviewers. I am only trying to be honest. Hey we only have up to five stars, so every game can't be a five star game.

When I think "adventure game," I get this terrible image of wandering around blindly, clicking everything, wondering what to do and where to go. I don't have that much patience - yet.

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Feb 11, 14 6:47 PM
I did buy this game and so sorry i did now.

I've been walking, taking that lift forever and find the game very difficult to navigate with all those arrows, feel like i'm running around in circles getting nothing done. I guess its just too technical for me.

I'm going to delete this game and not get anymore nancy drew games.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Feb 11, 14 7:52 PM
I have to demo everything before I buy it.
Those large file adventure games scare me.

I used to play the straight adventures with Nouni,
Belladonna, Hpottermad, Marie, and Miss Kitty from
the old forums.
I was always the slowest one, some I couldn't even finish.
Even those had demos.

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Feb 12, 14 9:43 AM
I guess we have to keep saying it until takes note AND does something about it. What? No try = no buy

ED. to add the word 'keep'. Irony, anyone?

Edited on 02/12/2014 at 9:44:47 AM PST

Baybear
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by Baybear on Feb 12, 14 11:46 AM
I used to buy all the Nancy Drew games and liked them a lot. But the last one I bought had a timed event (a lot of crows in a field as I recall...) that I couldn't beat even after about 25 tries. The Strategy Guide didn't help because you had to complete something in a fixed amount of time, and if you didn't... you couldn't proceed! i.e.: No "SKIP" in a Nancy Drew game. Therefore I couldn't ever finish the game I bought.

I'd like to know if there's a timed event in this new one... Or if there is... is there a "SKIP" for it?

If there is no timed event, or if there's a skip, I'd probably buy it, but if there is, I know I may not ever be able to get through it.

[Post New]by GameStudent on Feb 12, 14 9:56 PM
I agree with Baybear - if there is a really tricky bit that I can't skip I just end up with an unfinished game. I remember one that I think had sheep in a paddock and I just couldn't get past that.

Even though I am a massive Nancy Drew fan, and I have almost every game ever made, I am yet to get through from start to finish without a walkthrough. I prefer written walk throughs - video clips don't do anything for me.

imbrdk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by imbrdk on Feb 13, 14 8:44 AM

Edited on 02/13/2014 at 11:26:51 AM PST

dead cat Nancy Drew: The Deadly Device

[Post New]by pbauer0246 on Mar 17, 14 6:46 AM
Can't find dead cat in lab. Screen shot, any one

[Post New]by joyzgamez on Apr 8, 14 10:17 AM
I cannot get through the air ducts, I have spend days lost. Is there somewhere I can get a better map, or a walk through of this one. I am getting very frustrated getting through this, I follow the map provided and keep ending up back in the photo lab. Please help.

Go to: