New weekly topic

Re:New weekly topic

[Post New]by jagheterlelle on Feb 15, 14 8:30 AM
I read mostly older books, right now I am in the middle of the Collected Works of H.P. Lovecraft. That'll keep me busy a while.

EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 15, 14 8:38 AM
lanimur wrote:Thanks EweJoy

You've just started me on another book series!!

Used to do a bit of quilting and the Jennifer Chiarevinis sound like the type of thing I like to read so I just hopped over to my local library's site and ordered her first one The Quilter's Apprentice. Are we starting a ROM players book club??

If you're a quilter I think you'll really enjoy them! I don't quilt myself but know enough quilters to understand the lingo and what they're talking about but mostly the books are about the lives of the quilters themselves. You'll enjoy them I'm sure!

EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 15, 14 8:43 AM
jagheterlelle wrote:I read mostly older books, right now I am in the middle of the Collected Works of H.P. Lovecraft. That'll keep me busy a while.

I've not read those. What type of books are they?

[Post New]by jagheterlelle on Feb 15, 14 9:47 AM
EweJoy wrote:
jagheterlelle wrote:I read mostly older books, right now I am in the middle of the Collected Works of H.P. Lovecraft. That'll keep me busy a while.

They are early American horror, somewhat similar to E.A. Poe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft

lelle

EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 15, 14 9:58 AM
jagheterlelle wrote:
EweJoy wrote:

They are early American horror, somewhat similar to E.A. Poe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft

lelle

Thanks for telling me. Not my cup of tea so could explain why I've not heard of them. I'm more for Dickens...Great Expectations being a favorite.

SuzeyQueue
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by SuzeyQueue on Feb 15, 14 10:46 AM
One of my favorites has been Laddie: A True Blue Story by Gene Stratton Porter. If you like oldies, this one is delightful.

My favorite genre is fantasy/science fiction. If you like that sort, then check out Chanda Hahn's Iron Butterfly series and Cast of Stones series by Patrick Carr. I think you would enjoy those, EweJoy.

Anyone like Clive Cussler?

Edited on 02/15/2014 at 10:47:52 AM PST

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Feb 15, 14 10:57 AM
I love Dickens! I own a rare 1st edition of A Christmas Carol!

I can't stomach horror. Although I did enjoy the Hunger Games series more for the psychological aspects of thought provoking insight. Have a compilation of books from this forum to check out next time I get out!

You might like the "In Harms Way" as you mentioned Civil War and older books. The USS Indianapolis was the ship that carried parts of the atomic bomb in WWII. On it's return voyage it was torpedoed. It is one of the biggest naval tragedies of that era. This book is nonfiction and includes photos compiled by the survivors. Author is Doug Stanton.

My dad was navy and I grew up hearing so many stories that were never public knowledge. I often smile when new movies come out because I can say "I already knew that! I enjoy history although it's often so sad.

Jarrow
Clownfish
Clownfish
540 Posts

[Post New]by Jarrow on Feb 15, 14 11:41 AM
I am a huge fan of Clive Cussler. I also read all of the Midnight Louis mystery series written by Carole Nelson Douglas and two mystery series by M.C. Beaton. Then I take a break and read romantic fiction by Johanna Lindsey or Victoria Holt. Everything is a bit eclectic, but better than the software manuals I read for work. LOL

mommerj
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by mommerj on Feb 15, 14 3:20 PM
lanimur, I read and studied Csikszentmihalyi in graduate school. Funny, another friend of mine just recently picked up the "Flow" book to read again. I might have to reread.
I like Robin Cook and his medical mysteries, Patricia Cronwell, Michael Crichton, Dan Brown, and Raymond Khoury. I also really like Philippa Gregory's historical fiction. It's been a while since I read any of the #1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I also like Mercedes Lackey. I am a huge fan of Janet Evanovich too! I am on a mission to reread all her Stephanie Plum books in order. I'm currently on 15: Finger Lickin' Fifteen.

rheashard2
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by rheashard2 on Feb 15, 14 7:36 PM
Hate to tell you 'fishes' this but... I cheat. I listen to audio books! That way I can do 2 things at once. I check on line at commercial and public libraries for books that I want, The disadvantage is I have to wait for the books to be out for awhile. I can live with that. The advantage is that I can do two things at once! I can ignore the book if needed. If the book is a thriller like Koontz, Grisham or who ever I have another use for the stop or slow time icons. Before computer games, I used to be a crochet-aholic. I also read a lot. I discovered audio books. I am SLOWLY, putting my cassettes onto an external hard drive. I have over 3TB and counting. The problem is I keep adding to my library. Moved into this house w daughter over 10 years ago. I still have cassettes in boxes waiting for me to record.

SuzeyQueue
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by SuzeyQueue on Feb 15, 14 7:59 PM
So, rheashard2, what is your favorite genre of audiobooks?

EweJoy
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

[Post New]by EweJoy on Feb 16, 14 3:17 PM
rheashard2 wrote:Hate to tell you 'fishes' this but... I cheat. I listen to audio books! That way I can do 2 things at once. I check on line at commercial and public libraries for books that I want, The disadvantage is I have to wait for the books to be out for awhile. I can live with that. The advantage is that I can do two things at once! I can ignore the book if needed. If the book is a thriller like Koontz, Grisham or who ever I have another use for the stop or slow time icons. Before computer games, I used to be a crochet-aholic. I also read a lot. I discovered audio books. I am SLOWLY, putting my cassettes onto an external hard drive. I have over 3TB and counting. The problem is I keep adding to my library. Moved into this house w daughter over 10 years ago. I still have cassettes in boxes waiting for me to record.

Not cheating...I enjoy the occasional audio book but I personally get greater satisfaction from closing a book at the end and being able to see and feel what I've accomplished. I just finished The Spymistress I was telling you all about. It is based on the true life of Elizabeth Van Lew who was an ardent Unionist living in Richmond, VA (the capital of the South) during the Civil War. She died impoverished and ostracized at the age of 81. After the war she served as Postmaster of Richmond and did all she could to employ blacks and women. She worked for women's suffrage and civil rights for African-Americans which further caused her ostracism in Richmond (after having been a Unionist during the war). Sad end for a very remarkable woman.
Now I'm reading Circle of Quilters by the same author.

Thank you all for telling about your books...I've got a list to draw on now for where to go next! I've read Clive Cussler so will try the series by Carole Nelson Douglas and M.C. Beaton. I think I've read some of Beaton but it would've been awhile ago so will have another look. So much to say but don't want to be a bore! achumannfaery, a 1st edition Dickens! Wow!!! Hope you have it insured!!! That's amazing! How did you manage that? Was it handed down or did you discover it somewhere....?

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Feb 17, 14 7:31 AM
Thanks EweJoy! I had never considered insurance or value of the book. I figured it was worth around $500. An online search proved I need it appraised! Mine is not mint condition but it's not ratty either. Even a moderate appraisal would help defray some college expenses. My daughter is wanting to study abroad next year.

I got the book at an estate sale. The family had a library of books. At the end they were packing everything up and I bought an entire box of old classics, many in hard back, for $5. Many old pocket readers by Mark Twain, and books by Dickens, Hawthorne, Dahl, Homer, Whitman and Plato. I enjoyed the find for literary reasons and never once considered monetary treasure!

achumannfaery
Catfish
Catfish
1,570 Posts

[Post New]by achumannfaery on Feb 17, 14 7:49 AM
On this topic, a literary note...are you reading Thurber???....

I was fascinated to learn as an adult that a couple of the authors I enjoyed as a youth had also written "adult content" pieces.

Specifically, Roald Dahl and Shel Silverstein. Both wrote children's classics and made contributions to Playboy. Silverstein also wrote many songs with drug references in the 70's era.

Go to: