Fishpole
Clownfish
Clownfish
556 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Expedition: Prisoners Of Ice

[Post New]by Fishpole on Feb 20, 14 10:50 PM
I guess it depends on how you play. It certainly didn't end for me one hour after the 'trial'.
I didn't time myself....but I would say I played for a good 3 to 4 hours. I know that I went to bed and started the game again this morning.....finishing this afternoon....to my great disappointment ....because I really was enjoying myself!
To each his own....you just have to try it and make up your own mind.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Feb 21, 14 9:03 AM
Finally finished the game! I started over with a new name and got past the polar bear. You have to throw the potion at him. The artifact will be used at a later date. It really is a good game after all. It does needs fixin'!!

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Feb 21, 14 2:09 PM
An excellent game. Really enjoyed playing it. Wonderful graphics and hard, detailed hogs which were fun. Some fun mini games. A good story line . The game was just right in length and did not drag on. Would like to see more of these, Thanks for a very entertaining game BFG.

Valkara
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Valkara on Feb 22, 14 4:55 PM
I did not know the Inuit apparently have oodles of gold. Someone should tell the real Inuit that, so they won't have so many RL worries about how expensive most things are in Northern Canada.

I also wondered if any penguins would show up, 'cause apparently even though penguins are native to the Southern Hemisphere and the only ones in the Northern Hemisphere are in zoos, they always seem to show up in visual media about the North.

If the game creators wanted to make one based on the Canadian Arctic, they should have done one about the fate of the missing Franklin expedition. There's still enough mystery about that to make a good game, without bringing in nonsensical stuff about lost gold and penguins that couldn't possibly be there.

No sale here - there are too many RL-related inconsistencies and contradictions that insult the intelligence of any Canadian familiar with this part of the world.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 23, 14 3:42 AM
Well, there *was* the Yukon gold rush so it's not unprecedented. What bothered me a little were the totem poles when there weren't any trees in the area but that was a minor quibble.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 24, 14 5:30 PM
I didn't even get through the demo I got so bored...can't really describe why because the game seemed to have some pretty interesing side place you could go if you found certain things, but it just didn't "catch on fire"...pretty bland. So I decided not to buy.

Graphics were good, but I had to turn the music off pretty quickly, but it also turned off the voiceover..which wasn't bad since the lips on the animations didn't go in sync with the narrative...I would rather the mouths didn't move.

Has a locking inventory bar if you are like me and can't stand those ones that pop up and down. Didn't play long enough to even run into a HOS or mini game....odd.

Has a map, but I don't think it is a transporter map...and a journal...hint and skip are available. Anyway I really didn't play long enough to do a "star" rating, but I've played a lot of other games that are hot from the get go...this one really lugs on line.

BlackWaterRules
Shark
Shark
10,153 Posts

[Post New]by BlackWaterRules on Mar 3, 14 1:01 PM
Great Game

The game begins like a documentary, then turns into a mission. You have set out to the Arctic to find out what happened to your grandfather, lost on an expedition so many years ago.

The sound is great, the narration is very well done. Voiceovers are realistic. The graphics are good, on the ship they are grey and blue and dreary, like a ship of that genre would be.

Mini puzzles were okay, nothing special, but fun. The hidden object scenes were great; the were interactive list type with some items deliberately camouflaged. There is a puzzle mode you can switch to instead of the hidden object scene.

There are collectible coins you can use to purchase things at the "igloo shop".

There is a diary and a map to assist you in gameplay.

The game is a lot of fun, with a lot going on. Well worth a SE price.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 4, 14 11:22 PM
iamsosure wrote:Lots of positive feedback while I found it horrible 15 minutes into it. I have read posts that it is very short...but what do I know ?!

The very first thing you have to do is get out of your cabin which for some strange reason is (gasp!) locked from the outside. Luckily you just happen to have a newspaper, and under your pillow, a screwdriver . (Don't people always keep a screwdriver handy under the pillow, just in case?) Immediately afterward, you find the captain has fallen ill. As the ship's doctor, you're going to have to make (gasp!) some serum. Unfortunately, the supply room has no light because (gasp!) there's a missing fuse.

In spite of the excellent graphics, three cliches in six minutes (including the intro) was three too many. That and collecting coins to buy toys for your pet penguin... I just had to shake my head and get out as fast as possible.

Edited on 03/04/2014 at 11:27:39 PM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Mar 8, 14 9:59 PM
I played, I liked it and although it is somewhat short It was almost like playing a mini CE...The storyline, graphics, sounds etc., were all just fine that make a game more appealing. . imo the developer put those little touches like the Beyond Objects & artifacts. Hope to see more games from this developer
I would probably liked it more if we weren't having very cold weather in N. Texas with ice & wind...I usually try to play tropical games during cold snaps. I think I will replay this when it summertime and hot
& 1/2 out of 5 [ - for shortness & no walkthrough]

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Mar 19, 14 12:49 PM
not sure if I finished or not! It just up and ended.

sammi21
Guppy
Guppy
150 Posts

[Post New]by sammi21 on Apr 21, 14 7:07 PM
Yes...I thought very short too...Interesting story but the lights were very flashy..
I did'nt like the ending...Did the hero survive or not after the maelstrom? And what was the creature that got destroyed in the ice at the end?

In other words....WHAT WAS THE FINALE OF THE GAME??????

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 22, 14 11:12 AM
Finished the game, but I'm asking myself why. Stopped enjoying about
half way through as story just kind of disappeared and I found myself
doing all kinds of tasks that really made no sense and doing them in
all kinds of areas that made less sense. Really, an Inuit native is going
to ask this poor lost Doctor to catch him a fish? Some minis ok, but
I am not able to finish a "Simon Says" type that goes beyond nine
steps! Then I placed the four artifects, the screen exploded into a
psychedelic light show that goes on for about two minutes, then,
boom, here's the menu. No resolution whatsoever. With the collectables
and morphing objects in this game maybe it was meant to be a CE
with the resolution in the bonus? Can't remember a worst ending to
a game than this one.

debraljensen
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by debraljensen on Jul 25, 14 2:28 AM
I loved this game

skippystwin
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Expedition: Prisoners Of Ice

[Post New]by skippystwin on Dec 15, 14 3:47 PM
I love this game! Please make another one. I'm so sick of the bloated CEs where you run around in circles trying to find the hairbrush out in the cornfield.

Radgame
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by Radgame on Jan 19, 15 6:45 PM
exact wrote:The game was just right in length and did not drag on. Would like to see more of these, Thanks for a very entertaining game BFG.

Exact-ly what I felt.

Based on completed game:
Nice, short and sweet game. Calling it sweet sucks, I know, but that's only because it has CE extras of morphing objects, coins and relics. It flowed well, had clear graphics (though some objects and areas were a bit hard to spot in the icy/snowy-white backgrounds), a transporter map and hint/skip that didn't take forever to fill. Don't know about VOs. [Funniest part was the villain standing around, waiting while the cannon was being loaded to shoot him - so accommodating!]

A relaxing, fun and not too challenging game (I got it on today's BOGO sale).

Edited on 01/19/2015 at 6:47:11 PM PST

Go to: