Misspelling

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

Re:Misspelling

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Feb 20, 14 7:45 AM
This developer is in Croatia. Was delighted when I made a comment on their facebook page about their beautiful games. They popped right back in and said TYVM and that they all spoke English !!! I would love to have a second language but find that the one I was born to is hard enough. Typing has become a chore on computer keyboard. Typewriter was 85 WPM and now I'm down to about 3 and have to look at the keys so I'm always forgiving of words that are misspelled in these games, I'm just glad they are in English and never forget that it is not their first language! Also, quite a few items in HOS are called one thing and I know them as another so have to save them for last and use a hint and then laugh like a loon to see what the object was.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Feb 20, 14 8:55 AM
G'day,

I just wanted to pop in and clear a few things up.

As others have mentioned, the spelling of the title is by design and likely derived from the piece by Saint-Saëns.

As with all of our forums, the number one rule is:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

If we see the thread continue in a less than respectful way, it will be locked.

bfgMurrumbidgee

nan431
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by nan431 on Feb 20, 14 11:09 AM
All this nonsense about misspelled words is probably one of the reasons CCC was stopped.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Feb 21, 14 5:17 AM
Well, there are some pretty odd misspellings sometimes, and they can drive people a little batty -- they do me -- this just happened not to be one of them. No one's fault that there were was a misunderstanding.

catlynn54
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by catlynn54 on Feb 21, 14 5:52 AM
I always check to see if my 'take' on a subject, whether it is grammar, spelling, etc, is, in fact, correct. I do not know everything. (lol) Aside from this particular faux pas (original comment), many game developers are not native English speakers. I find the occasional 'error' charming. Also different cultures have different words for the same objects. One of the most interesting of these is the difference between American English and British English. They are not errors. They are simply different ways of saying the same thing. It never hurts to broaden one's horizons.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Feb 21, 14 10:50 AM
catlynn54 wrote:". . .One of the most interesting of these is the difference between American English and British English. They are not errors. They are simply different ways of saying the same thing. It never hurts to broaden one's horizons."

I agree 100%, catlynn54. Whenever I don't know what a particular word is for an inventory/Hidden Object item, I'll examine the word - prior to hitting the 'hint' button - to learn what it is, and try and remember it for the possibility of its' use in a future game. Further, if a particular word is misspelled, or there's incorrect [U.S.] sentence structure in the subtitled dialogue/journal, I totally overlook it because I understand what the writer (character) is conveying and realize the sentence could possibly be stated differently in the native tongue of the developer, which - IMO - adds to the developers' charm.

Oh, to have my own wings to travel the world over. And, no. . . . . I don't mean by airplane!!

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Feb 22, 14 6:38 PM
When I commit a faux pas (There are many!), I love learning new things. As long as people are not making fun of me (or anyone else) for the mistake, it is a great way to obtain new knowledge. I do hope all the comments with information were intended in a constructive, not derogatory spirit.

Go to: