Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

Re:Game Reviews for True Fear: Foresaken Souls CE

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 2, 14 12:39 AM
I liked this game very much. It's about time we had a creepy game come out, instead of what everyone else is doing. Right there, automatic buy. I don't mind it being a trilogy because in the extra's section, they sort of tell you which direction the game is heading. Also, in the options menu, it allows you to adjust the brightness of the game. I left it where it was and had no problem seeing anything. For this game I did not mind graphics, actually I didn't even notice the graphics quality because the story line was so different from everything else I've been playing lately. Played it straight through and loved every moment of it. I'm glad they have a warning on this game because I don't think that children should be playing this. If you are a true horror/ psychological thriller fan, then this game should delight you. If not, then don't buy it. I liked it and would recommend this game to a select audience that can actually appreciate the thriller aspect of the game and not get hung up by graphics, or music.

bobobear
Flounder
Flounder
2,315 Posts

[Post New]by bobobear on Mar 2, 14 3:05 AM
Absolutely loved this game. It's been so long since a good scary game came out and this one takes the cake. Love it and can hardly wait for the sequel

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Mar 2, 14 11:35 AM
I've just played the demo and knew I shouldn't have wandered off into the woods before checking out the location I was just at first. Darn. Maybe the demo wouldn't have ended with 10 minutes left like it did. I wonder if I would've gotten more demo time had I thoroughly investigated the outdoor scene first before going into the woods. I tend to do that in games. When there is more than one direction to explore upon entering a new scene, I always check out the other directions before deciding where I want to explore first. Anyway, the demo was fun but it takes a lot to scare me so I didn't find the game scary at all. Hopefully it gets better after the demo but I don't like reading that there's a sequel to it. Does that mean the ending leaves you hanging? Is it not a complete story in and of itself? I probably won't be buying if that's the case.

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Mar 2, 14 1:47 PM
Well I didn't know that this game was part one of three, and I'm glad I didn't. Had I known, I wouldn't have bought it, and I'd have missed the best game I've played ina while.

I liked the graphics, I liked the gameplay, and I loved the story. In fact the only thing I wasn't totally satisfied with was the way the HOs were set up. With a refilling object list and no clear indicator that some objects were in secondary locations, I found it impossible to get the "10 in 10" achievement (though the "5 in 5" was easy). Other than that I think this game is first-rate. I'll be playing it again and eagerly awaiting parts 2 and 3.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Mar 2, 14 5:55 PM
although I don't normally like this kind of game, I purchased it and it was really great. That is up until the end when I thought I would get some sort of resolution and find out what was going on, when all of a sudden the screen blanks out and it says to be continued in Fall 2014. REALLY???

Now I feel rather put out because I need to buy two more games in order to get the ending. I would far rather know up front that this game was a trilogy and shame on BFG for not letting us know. I guess their bottom line is more important than honesty.

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Mar 3, 14 12:12 AM
I'm going with "blech". Why? I so love a creepy game. I adored the SE offering a couple of weeks ago that so many of us fishies had difficulties with, the name escapes me now. But this is just...so..dated? I can't seem to come up with a better term. I'll start with the absolute junk pile (and in grainy graphics none the less) HOS - an absolute chore. Navigation feels antiquated and thank goodness we have a jump map. Also to add to the irritation is that close-in scenes do not close automatically when complete (and no, there is nothing to collect, morphing objects, etc) it's just an annoyance to have to back out of every single fling-flanging scene you come upon. I just think this whole game play needs some major re-do work before we are subjected to any sequels. And no, I do not need any animal helpers or any other stuff to make it special. Just make it FUNCTIONAL. And yes, I did purchase this CE hoping for better game play. Unfortunately it just got worse, but the story is certainly intriguing.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Mar 3, 14 12:44 AM
At last, a grown up game. I thought it was a great game, everything very well done. A bonus is there is no cute, furry helper (how annoying are they?) or time wasting 'collectables'. A genuinely spooky, adult game with plenty of puzzles and things to do. Personally, I'm glad it's a trilogy, that means there's plenty more to come. I have already suggested family members go for this game. Thanks developers, nice one.

[Post New]by pixietink112 on Mar 3, 14 8:36 PM
I don't think I have ever been so scared from a game in my life. Those graphics are way too real. I couldn't even look sometimes. That's awesome too that it's that good and now I can't wait for the second one. I'm still a little scared. I was home alone when I started playing so I turned on all the lights in the house.

[Post New]by smilingsun72 on Mar 4, 14 2:20 PM
I am not usually unnerved but this game had me spooked a couple of times.(Maybe it's because I played this on a day the weather was stormy). But I can say I kept going. The story was very intriguing. I do recommend this game to others that really want a game that keeps you wanting to know what is going to happen next and sends chilling thrills down your spine. And I say this: This game is NOT for those who scare easy, and I definitely agree that it's for mature audiences do to the content and scenes that can make you jump.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Mar 5, 14 1:47 PM
Although I enjoyed the utter creepiness of the game and found it entertaining...
SPOILER ALERT
I absolutely HATED how it ended; both main game and bonus game. I did not realize it was the 1st part of a trilogy but even if I had, other games packaged as part of a cycle of games at least have the decency to wrap up a few things instead of just stopping the game at a pivotal moment and saying, "Toodle-ooo! See you next fall!'
Just put me off my feed all night.

gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by gwenofala on Mar 6, 14 9:26 AM
I loved it ! It is scary to me , every time I went outside of the house I breathed a sigh of relief but dreaded going back in

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Mar 6, 14 11:41 AM
What a fantastic game! I loved it. I love games with good stories and I was so engrossed in this one that when while I was playing and my husband called out my name I literally jumped. Also, even though I knew it would be continued and was expecting it, I groaned when the end came. I just so wanted it to go on. Can't wait for part 2.

sunshinej

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Mar 6, 14 4:54 PM
awesome game, loved it, looking forward to the next one....great job devs!

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Mar 7, 14 10:46 PM
This Demo was just O K for me. it seemed like it had a lot to offer but the demo time was very short, not enough to hook me hard like some others. SPOILER ALERT:

-i liked the dark creepy atmosphere while wishing that the visuals in the HOG scenes were drawn better. i think overall the setting fit the story but i dislike things that take me out of the creepie story....like cutting up a watermelon to get a melon slice in a HOG scene....why in the world would i be doing something like that in a creepie house in the middle of the night...WHY??? i wish devs would stop doing junkpile and inane HOG tasks because they really spoil the mood and take you back out of the game setting and into your head thinking about, of all things, watermelon...and why you'd be cutting it...in the middle of the night...alone....in a creepie house..."you know what this situation calls for? watermelon!"....enough said!

-i appreciated the creepie noises and music somewhat but sometimes it seemed a little overkill and redundant, also very recycled sounding like it came directly off samples of scary movies. this gave it a 'same old same old' feeling to me. the overkill part was that sometimes the music ramped up to sound very 'eminent doom!" sounding but the task i was working on wasn't terribly doomie, wiping a window off with a wet sponge just doesn't seem to necessitate that kind of audible intensity. if i ever buy this game i'll probably turn off all music and just keep creepie noises and see if that helps.

-i want a full hour demo, the end
-this isn't particular to this game but with all CE's in general, double price needs to mean twice the game. i sincerely doubt i'd EVER want wallpaper from this game in particular on my computer desktop. most everything from a CE that you'd want isn't something i'd want from this game. i wouldn't prefer lounging around on a sunday afternoon listening to ghastly whispers and creaking house noises with the delightful ebb and flow of tinkling piano horror style music and sudden doom around the corner sounds. maybe that's just me. some real thought needs to be put into what constitutes a CE as far as content usability.

i'll probably get this game when it comes out as a regular edition...maybe wait til the next two are released since they usually do bundle sales on series so i can pick them all up and play over a weekend. i'm not compelled enough by the small amount of story i saw in the very short demo to buy it right this second.
Happy Gaming

Edited on 03/07/2014 at 10:49:29 PM PST

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Mar 8, 14 12:04 PM
AFTER COMPLETING THE ENTIRE CE GAME

I have posted a review about this game earlier. The demo time is not enough to give you the full picture of a game, and it is sometimes misleading in that the demo time seems to be set up to do exactly that - mislead you into thinking the game is something great, when in reality it turns out to be pretty bad.

I posted after playing the demo, and just loved the totally creepy aspect of this adventure game (which I thought it was after playing the demo). It turned out to be a nightmare, and not the kind you would enjoy playing.

I don't usually buy CE's, but one of the benefits of a CE is not having to get out of the game to look for an answer to a puzzle or some direction to go next - that is why they come with SG's!! Great idea, except this one's SG was all wrong - and I mean incorrect information. And yet if you didn't look at the SG, you would never know where the Collector Figurines were, and if you miss it the first go around, you can't go back and get it later. At times the SG was wrong in this respect, too.

So, being pretty much alone while playing, with no help either from the SG or the hint system, or even on a number of occasions, no help from the map as it would come up blank with no places marked that needed something else done!

In my first review, I felt the game was all about the story, and that was a big plus for me in what I thought was an adventure game. It turned out to be a HOG and a game of impossible puzzles. The "story" comes to you on pieces of paper that are ripped from your sister's journal. That does not mean that you find these pieces of paper in the order they were written. That does not mean you find all the pieces of paper from the journal, either. Remember, you are all alone with no help from the SG, the hint system, or the map.

I got the gist of the story from the number of pages I did find during the game, but did not get an achievement for it because I obviously did not find all the pages. The story itself is very involved and convoluted, and also IMHO downright "sick". The HOG scenes were all doable, but they increased as the game went along. The puzzles were for the most part doable, except for about 4 that I had to skip. The directions were so lacking, or the puzzle would take hours to figure out, I just had to skip them.

Continued .....

Edited on 03/08/2014 at 12:22:20 PM PST

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Mar 8, 14 12:20 PM
Continued from 1st page:

I don't feel this is a spoiler as it has been mentioned here a number of times. And you are not told this before you buy. The story does not completely end at the end of regular game play or even after the bonus game play because it is part of a trilogy.

Well devs, and Big Fish - I really think that should have been made abundantly clear somewhere before you bought the game. Now you are faced with either living with an incomplete story that was a ton of work to get through with a lot of technical glitches (as can be seen under technical problems) that you never, ever want to go back to again, or buying the other 2 parts of the trilogy. No - not for me.

I feel I just had to amend my review and say this game was terrible in every way possible - and I didn't have any technical problems at all with it. There are still an awful lot of people here with legitimate technical problems waiting for an answer - which I see has not been provided yet.

Please think about all of the above before you buy this game. I always recommend that you try before you buy, but even the demo was either meant to be misleading, or it wasn't long enough for you to get the real feel for what this game was going to be like. And I think that is either careless or conniving to get you to buy.

Be very leery of this. and

seeme278
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by seeme278 on Mar 9, 14 8:48 AM
The game has a lot of mistakes and inconsistencies in the expert level -- sometimes there is something to do when you only see a magnifying glass, other times you need to see a spinning gear -- so try everything, especially if it involves water. In the HOS puzzles, there are multiple pictures of items for those on the list, but you need to click on the right one. Overall, however, this is a decent game at the expert level. Good eerie feel to it and scary enough. Requires some patience -- i.e., I had a crowbar, a hacksaw and dagger in my inventory but could not "pry" a mask off of a statue. And it is rather long, so I do feel I got my money's worth. However, the final puzzle of the game may be enough to ruin your experience. I am waiting for a forum response as to whether I missed something, but I needed to go to the forum and the Guide to solve the final puzzle. Even after I completed the puzzle, I still do not know how I was supposed to figure out the arrow directions. I hate that. If I have to go to the Guide or the forum, I want to know it is because I missed something and not because the game is faulty. I give it an "almost 4" out of 5.

[Post New]by jenifercher on Mar 13, 14 11:11 AM
is there a prequel to this game that I don't know about? For some reason, I remember that asylum name.

DeadRiver
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
17,688 Posts

[Post New]by DeadRiver on Mar 24, 14 8:49 PM
This game is the bomb. That warning is no joke, it really is a scary one. I loved every minute of it and hope there really is going to be a sequel.

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Mar 29, 14 1:19 AM
I'll make it short and sweet. I have NEVER HATED A GAME SO MUCH IN MY LIFE!!! There are way too many errors to even attempt to write here without getting carpal tunnel. Objects are too small to see, the inventory bar wouldn't close, so anything at the bottom you don't see. Most places where you have the rotating gear, doesn't give you any clue to what you are supposed to look for. And the locker combination, as well as the door next to it, you could have a hundred different possibilities that you are supposed to guess out of thin air. At the end I just used the SG to get it over with. My advice, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY on this game!!!

Go to: