Re:Game Reviews for Mystery of Unicorn Castle: The Beastmaster CE

[Post New]by SabineEden on Mar 19, 14 9:14 PM
The karmic choices make for a couple of minor differences in the closing movie for the main game. I won't spoiler them here, unless someone asks for it, and then I'll create a separate post with a warning.

Haven't seen so far that the choices in the bonus game affect things at all. And the choices in that part of the game don't make sense to me. For instance, in managing the squirrel, the karmic choice that appears under the "good" comes with language that makes it sound like a bad choice. I'm wondering if the karmic choices in the bonus game are switched around on a couple of them.

I've now played with the all good choices and all bad choices, and that hasn't seemed to change anything in the bonus game.

I do like this game.

Edited on 03/20/2014 at 12:43:00 AM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 28, 14 10:03 PM
I'm on the fence of this one. It has a lot of good things to make it a great game, but there are some irritating things like the voiceovers and the graphics being a bit lame. I do like the mix of puzzles and the fact there is a lot of game play before HO scenes. Unsure if I will buy it - will put it on the maybe pile.

read61
Salmon
Salmon
2,775 Posts

[Post New]by read61 on Aug 23, 14 5:55 PM
Finally I managed to get around to playing this one; better late than never! Definitely different but quite a few glitches, mainly minor ones but still.....the main problem I had was the slider puzzle, at one point my tiles were hiding behind each other and nothing would move. Finally had to skip which bugged me as I was hoping to not have to do that. Thank goodness for the map indicating hot spots or I would still be wandering around that castle.....and even after finishing the game I still felt unsatisfied, wondering about the "back story". No, the bonus game didn't answer my questions and it was awfully short and basic. All in all I'm glad it's over and I doubt I'll be replaying any time soon. Dark and small objects in the HO scenes are too hard on my eyes! Hopefully their next game will be a bit brighter.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 15, 14 12:54 PM
Based on the demo:

Well, it's getting closer to Halloween and I just found this little gem I somehow missed when it came out.

I like it. I think it's creepy. I was hoping it would be set in the present but our be-gloved and de-gendered detective seems to have become absorbed by the past.

I was interested when I got to the graveyard and saw something lying on the ground and noticed what came out. To be honest, I thought it would be an animal helper. It's not. And that was nothing compared to the giant red-eyed rats that soon appeared - and when I mean giant, I mean giant. I do not have a rat phobia, I actually love rats and often keep them as pets, even the pink-eyed albinos. They are very sweet creatures. My thesis involved rats as subjects. I've never been bitten although one of my rats would screech at me every day. They make great pets. But not the rats in this game, no ma'am!! They creeped me out and that is hard to do.

When I got to one of the rooms and saw what was on the floor in place of a bearskin rug, I had to laugh. And that was when I knew I was hooked on this game.

Yes, the graphics are dark. It's a dark story.

Gameplay is smooth.

There is a jump map which indicates areas with actions that can be taken.

The puzzles so far are not very difficult. They are probably very easy for most people because I'm just not good at puzzles.

I didn't time the hint or skip buttons but I wasn't sitting around waiting for them to fill. If you catch little firefly-like glows of lights that show up every once in a while it's supposed to do something to the hint button; make it fill up faster or something.

This is one of those games where the player gets to make decisions as to which of two offered actions to take; it's like an angel on one shoulder and a devil on the other. I've gone with the angel which means I'll have to replay the game with the devil or maybe mix them up. I like this in a game. I like to be able to influence the play a bit (or at least think I am).

Evidently there are collectibles and achievements and that is one reason I am purchasing the CE; the other being that there is a huge sale today.

I did not run into any glitches.

And that's about all I have to say.

Happy gaming!!

Go to: