Plientje
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Post your REVIEWS for The Others here

[Post New]by Plientje on Mar 12, 14 4:44 PM
I am completly blown away by this game!! If you are looking for something new and out of the box, this is it!! I just finished it and I'm really overwhelmed. The storyline only SEEMS to be something we already know in the beginning. But as you go along in the game, the story changes into something completly new and very, very unexpected! The ending is really SPECTACULAR!!
Sci-fi fans will also love this game, although it doesn't really look like it.

The graphics are cristalclear and very well done. The music is good and fits the story, although gets a bit repetitive after a while. But the voiceovers are GREAT! And you meet a lot of different characters you have short conversations with. A nice change from all the games where you wander around alone. In the beginning of the game you might think you're alone, but you'll see....

The HOS are very, very clear with a cool new feature. Words written in blue you can click, and you get 3 different descriptions, one of them is in the scene, the others aren't. Really nicely done.
The puzzles vary from easy to medium hard, I had to skip 2 where I really couldn't find the solution.

And there is so much more to this game, you get a few really good scares that I asolutely did not see coming and made me jump out of my chair. A game in a maze that was really cool, and.... can't tell you more, I don't want to spoil the game for you!

This is a GREAT SE! The game is fast paced and submerges you in the storyline. There is no map, but for me that was no problem at all, no diary either, but I didn't miss it for a second. The game is splitted up in different divisions, and once you finished one, it closes of and you don't need to go back there, which makes the to and fro bearable.
I loved the 'oldfashioned' feel of a straight HOG + adventure game, no distractions of fluffy things and other frills to look for, but pure, concentrated gameplay that is really fascinating.

I had the time of my life playing this game #about 4 hours for me# and HIGLY recommend this game! Have fun!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 12, 14 5:38 PM
Wow! Another great SE. This game may be dated but it reminds me of the older "Nancy Drew" games. At least they have an ATM machine. That and the credit card (don't leave home without it) make it a more realistic experience for those business types who travel to all types of godforsaken places. And guess what - it works and actually has money in it!

You are a detective called in by your boss to investigate the owner of a missing toy factory. Gee - your boss books you a room. Isn't that nice and so realistic, right? All executives should book rooms for their traveling underlings, right? There are three levels of play. The graphics are cartoonish but well done. The HOP scenes are somewhat interactive . PLEASE NOTE: - if you click on the items listed, it will change to another item! How cool is that? The puzzles I have encountered are similar to those from past Nancy Drew games. One of the amusement park games is almost the same game from that series. Unfortunately, our little "motor mouth" detective in the game continues to talk to you throughout the game - again like the Nancy Drew games. I just turned off the sound and listened to some awesome music instead. Problem solved. There is no journal or map in the game - at least I did not get far enough into the game to see if one would appear. I agree with others on this site - I appreciated not having an "animal helper" in this game. This is a simple, well crafted "whodunit" type of game. I have no idea who the "others" are in this game as I only played the demo. I give this game 5 stars out of 5 stars for an excellent SE game. Now if BF could only provide CE's to match the quality of the SE's we have had recently, we will be in "gaming heaven!" I will purchase and play this weekend or maybe I could not only get my boss to book me a room, but write up my reports as well so I can play right now. Yeah!

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Mar 12, 14 7:33 PM
Downloaded with no problems, but I do agree, after purchase, the cursor can be a little sluggish on the games. This is a good game and I have finished it. No problems encountered at all. The only "peeve" I have is that at the end, you are forced to let the credits run before you can exit. The art was good, the story line is great, the hos are good and I liked the three clicks to find a matching item (blue items). I also did not miss finding relics, collecting items, or the like. It kind of left you feeling like there might be someone else out there watching us. First game I have played in a long time (one that was not cards or the like) that I really wanted to find out the ending and enjoyed playing without getting frustrated or lost. Nice job.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Mar 13, 14 12:57 AM
Plientje wrote:I am completly blown away by this game!! If you are looking for something new and out of the box, this is it!! I just finished it and I'm really overwhelmed. The storyline only SEEMS to be something we already know in the beginning. But as you go along in the game, the story changes into something completly new and very, very unexpected! The ending is really SPECTACULAR!!
Sci-fi fans will also love this game, although it doesn't really look like it.

The graphics are cristalclear and very well done. The music is good and fits the story, although gets a bit repetitive after a while. But the voiceovers are GREAT! And you meet a lot of different characters you have short conversations with. A nice change from all the games where you wander around alone. In the beginning of the game you might think you're alone, but you'll see....

The HOS are very, very clear with a cool new feature. Words written in blue you can click, and you get 3 different descriptions, one of them is in the scene, the others aren't. Really nicely done.
The puzzles vary from easy to medium hard.

And there is so much more to this game, you get a few really good scares that I asolutely did not see coming and made me jump out of my chair. A game in a maze that was really cool, and.... can't tell you more, I don't want to spoil the game for you!

This is a GREAT SE! The game is fast paced and submerges you in the storyline. There is no map, but for me that was no problem at all, no diary either, but I didn't miss it for a second. The game is splitted up in different divisions, and once you finished one, it closes off and you don't need to go back there, which makes the to and fro bearable.
I loved the 'oldfashioned' feel of a straight HOG + adventure game, no distractions of fluffy things and other frills to look for, but pure, concentrated gameplay that is really fascinating.

I had the time of my life playing this game #about 4 hours for me# and HIGHLY recommend this game! Have fun!

Oh I wholeheartedly agree.
A delightful game in many ways.
I sincerely hope this is but one of many adventures with The Others ... after all, we've only just met.
Cheers

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 13, 14 10:12 PM

I would have been in line to give this 5 stars... it was 'different' (YAY) and had some very appealing graphics (I happen to LIKE realistic graphics!). To me, it did not appear to be old school at all and frankly speaking, I'd rather have a GOOD game that took a bit of time to get it's copyright than the typical churned out copy-cat like so many others we have had in most recent years.... games that seem to be produced on a 'virtual' assembly line and the ONLY good or different thing is the scenery is changed a bit. I find no faults at all there.

Anyhoo, as I was saying... I WOULD have 4-5 star loved this game score, but for the female VOICE acting WHICH I didn't care for. Perhaps she WOULD have been a fine narrator except for the fact that her voice is rather fake and hoarse sounding *[ETA: mainly in the beginning only did I find it annoyingly cloy... toward the end it was fine and a simple button for voice level would resolve this] Yet beyond that and more importantly regarding voice is *in the beginning* it seemed as though she needed to verbalize EVERY SINGLE action needed to be made for crying out loud... it drove me nuts!!! err LEAVE ME ALONE! LET ME PLAY THE GAME please Ms Mary !!

As far as no map?... I don't mind that part. If graphics are good, I actually enjoy traipsing around a bit as if I were actually IN the scenes... makes for a more immersive gameplay IMO.

So, there was good originality here (did anyone notice the little girl in the pics? Wonder if they are a) part of the game further in or b) part of the developers' life? ie. child, etc. Interesting! Some of the puzzles were great and, again, I enjoy realistic graphics... makes the atmosphere all the more interactive and 'spooky' or basically more intriguing.

Would be great if this developer would give us another game... one with the option of full voice prompting or NOT. That way, beginners (or players that like to relax) would be happy and more advanced or [independent] players, such as myself would not be driven to distraction with command prompts.

All in all, maybe I WILL give this another try with a cc one day.

**ETA: I B0UGHT THIS GAME AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVED... LOVED... LOVED IT!! It's one of those RARE GAMEs that actually GETS BETTER AS YOU PROGRESS!! I WISH I HAD GIVEN THIS 5 STARS in my 'official' review.

Edited on 03/21/2014 at 12:55:05 AM PST

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Mar 14, 14 12:17 PM

One Of These Things Is Not Like "The Others"

There is definitely an older feel to this, as the artwork is not nearly as detailed as what we see in newer games, and the result is somewhat "flat" looking objects. However, the cut scenes are fairly well done, while still in a 3-D style that is also reminiscent of a few years back.

The game did fill my Windows screen completely although my monitor may have stretched it automatically. I did not experience any of the reported cursor sticking during the trial.

Setting: You are a reporter following up on a story about the disappearance of all the workers and the owner of a toy factory in a small town.

The hidden object scenes are easy, I think the first one took less than 30 seconds to complete. They do have a twist as the highlighted items may not be the ones to find. Click the highlighted item name and cycle through three possible items to choose from, only one of which can be found in the scene. This adds a small degree of difficulty.

Puzzles are mosly simple as well and, as expected with the older feel, none are really new. This is not necessarily bad as it helps to keep the story moving without getting bogged down with one puzzle.

During the demo, everything takes place at night and the palette is moslty browns, grays and reds. Navigation is another clue as to the age of the game as the arrows are not in consistent locations and navigation is not always intuitive. However this was really not too much of an issue. One of the locations is an amusement park fun house. This was the most fun part of the trial and very amusing.

Without giving too much away, the "villians" reminded me of creatures from an original star trek pilot episode. Voices are well acted and appropriate, but every single word is voiced, including when clicking an area where something is needed. It does become annoying, but you can click out of the scene to cut it short.

Despite the technical shortcomings, I would cautiously recommend this game because it seems to have an interesting story that is different than what we normally see. There is no map or journal so that dictates what the game play will be like. If you find you don't like this game, try one of The Others.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Mar 15, 14 4:54 AM
dancemom1 wrote:Hello all. Well, another SE today. This one is definitely an old school type of game, with no extras at all. The graphics aren't too bad, but a bit fuzzy. Colors are pretty good. Game play is okay, didn't have any problems at all. Story is nothing new and moves a little slowly. The voice overs aren't bad, but the woman's voice becomes quite grating very quickly. The man...tries to change the voice, but doesn't do well, all sound pretty much the same.

There is a lot of running around for one little thing or another. HOGs are extremely easy and items are even easier to find. Hint system fills quickly and isn't really needed in this very simple game. Music is best turned down.

This game is no where near challenging for the experienced gamer, but I think a beginner would like it a lot. It is just a very simple, no brainer kind of game and I sometimes like those myself. However, this one just didn't have anything that made me want to buy it.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may find this one to be exactly what you are looking for today. Thanks for the reviews.

I actually like the graphics. I loved the animation of the hotel clerk. Watch his face. It's a real hoot! As for the carnival games, I never did successfully complete one during the demo. Fortunately, you have a seemingly endless supply of coins, but I ended up skipping them all. You can only play Whack-a-Mole so many times before calcification of the brain sets in.

The game ran fine on my computer, and I had a full, if stretched, screen. No map, but the hints are directional.

I am intrigued by the mystery... who in the world (or out of it) are The Others? I just don't know if I'm curious enough to buy the game to find out.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Mar 16, 14 3:15 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I'm not understanding the high level of excitement and enthusiasm about this game. No wide screen and even though I'm not too fussy about graphics, this is pretty simple looking stuff. And... what story? I played for half an hour or so and nothing grabbed me. This might have been noteworthy a few years ago but I'm not really too impressed with it at this point in my game playing experience.

I agree with you. I found nothing excitint or enticing about this game.
Another one of those that takes you all over the place without providing a map. I got so frustrated I stopped playing.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Mar 16, 14 6:41 AM
Only just got round to trying the demo and I must say that in spite of the very dark graphics and slightly dated feel, I loved it!

Basic HOS but with a twist; items in blue aren't necessarily what you have to find! Took me a while (and using a few hints) to realise what I had to do as it doesn't tell you. So far the puzzles have been fun, especially in the fairground The sounds in the game seemed very familiar and I'm pretty sure this game is from the devs that made the Mortimer Beckett games (some of my all time favourites!).

The graphics are very dark but it's still possible to find your way around (just about!). No map here so you're on your own but the hint will direct you. It's simple gameplay but there's nothing wrong with simple. Sometimes games are so complex and so long I get bored half way through; no danger of that with this little gem!

It's quirky and fun; just enough challenge for me without getting frustrated or using endless hints. An definite buy

suebrit
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by suebrit on Mar 16, 14 7:46 AM
I loved this game. To reiterate some of what has already been said, no bells and whistles, no furry animals, no collectibles, no morphing objects, no concept art and no wallpaper. I LOVE THAT! Just a good game that kept me engrossed for a good few hours. Love the story and am hoping for more of the same.

ushie15
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by ushie15 on Mar 16, 14 10:19 PM
I thought this was a fun, unusual, and clever game, and I hope there will be a sequel!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 17, 14 4:08 PM
What an odd game. Almost old school in its format but the graphics and animations are really good. A very confusing game that has no map or journal. Has three levels of play but the casual is hard enough. A lot of mini games which are tedious and doable if you like spending a lot of time on them....skip is VERY slow to recharge so its either play the game or go make yourself a sandwich waiting to skip the game.

I thought the HOS were very old fashioned and easy until I FINALLY figured out how to do the interactive ones.

No instructions on how to do anything in this game. The lack of a map forces you to either have a hell of a memory or use the hint to navigate around which means, click, click, click all over the place and there are a lot of places to go.

The woman's voice drives me crazy and I could not find away to turn off her voice unless you turned of all the sound except the music.

Even on sale I am going to pass on this one...just don't have the patience. I give it a 2 out of 5

Edited on 03/17/2014 at 4:09:22 PM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 21, 14 12:59 AM
bessiegirl wrote:What an odd game. Almost old school in its format but the graphics and animations are really good. A very confusing game that has no map or journal. Has three levels of play but the casual is hard enough. A lot of mini games which are tedious and doable if you like spending a lot of time on them....skip is VERY slow to recharge so its either play the game or go make yourself a sandwich waiting to skip the game.

I thought the HOS were very old fashioned and easy until I FINALLY figured out how to do the interactive ones.

No instructions on how to do anything in this game. The lack of a map forces you to either have a hell of a memory or use the hint to navigate around which means, click, click, click all over the place and there are a lot of places to go.

The woman's voice drives me crazy and I could not find away to turn off her voice unless you turned of all the sound except the music.

Even on sale I am going to pass on this one...just don't have the patience. I give it a 2 out of 5

OMG... don't overlook this phenomenal game... I say this because unlike most games designed today, it just keeps getting better and better as you progress thru the game!!!

You should see the graphics toward the END... cutscenes, etc are FABULOUS!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Mar 21, 14 1:00 AM
suebrit wrote:I loved this game. To reiterate some of what has already been said, no bells and whistles, no furry animals, no collectibles, no morphing objects, no concept art and no wallpaper. I LOVE THAT! Just a good game that kept me engrossed for a good few hours. Love the story and am hoping for more of the same.

I agree 100%!! : ) Definitely NOT like "the others"... and that is a VERY good thing!! : )

AirCoco
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by AirCoco on Mar 21, 14 6:58 PM
I have to agree with JustTheFacts. I really like games where you have to use your brain to figure things out (man, I miss MYST!) but gah! I quickly got sick of Mary yapping and talking and yapping, and if you clicked the same area to check things out, off she went AGAIN and there's no way to shut her up. You're frozen and can't continue until she's done yapping. I had started in the hardest mode and then wanted to go to the Casual mode just to speed things up but (as far as i can see!) you can't change that unless you start the game over. I wish you could fast forward thru all the talking

The not-full screen mode is clear and nice but that haunted house was so cool I wanted to get the full effect.....when I go to full screen it is so nauseatingly stretched I had quit that becuz it made me sea sick.

For those who say they don't like having maps, if they are there, you don't have to use them so I don't get why they are "bad" to have in a game. Ditto morphing objects, or collectables....etc. If you don't want to bother, then you just don't have to. This game IS pretty bare bones which is fine but with just a few little touches it would have been so much better I think. .

poppy45
Clownfish
Clownfish
834 Posts

[Post New]by poppy45 on Mar 25, 14 3:54 PM
I enjoyed the game even if it was showing its age my only criticism is it does not give value for money. too short.

kiddopal
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

Re:OTHERS is excellent

[Post New]by kiddopal on Mar 29, 14 9:09 AM
Please give us more games like this one. I just finished the demo and will be purchasing it. I have hundreds of BFG games and this is the first one that has scenes that actually spooked me. I always play on the hardest level so I like a challenge. This game kept my interest. It does seem to have an old look, but who cares. The game play is unique and fun. The lack of a map was no problem, at least not for the hour I played. I thought I would like a journal though, but I guess this game play does not require it. I tend to forget details if I leave off playing the game for a few days. Reviewers say the game gets even better so I'm off to purchase.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Apr 4, 14 12:20 AM
Wow, just my kind of game. The special effects that occurs are more sci-fi and not so much mystical/magical. There's no demons or witches, no cutesy pet or distracting collectibles or achievements or what-have-you that have invaded other games. I think that perhaps something labeled "Hidden Object Game" should somehow have some hidden object scenes in it.

No map? No problem. I played through 70-hour-long RPG's on console without a map. No journal? Same. I played this game on the hardest setting and found it to be just about right for a nice, relaxing casual game. There's a real story/mystery that actually has a coherent, consistent plot through the whole thing. That's my plus. I don't care about graphics (unless the hidden object scenes are unplayable) or voice acting or music or gewgaws and "extras" as long as the story hangs together and keeps me engaged.

I don't know when it became necessary for a game to have animal partners, "shops" to buy stuff that has nothing to do with gameplay, poorly-animated "talking" characters and 42 things to collect. Those elements can be fun or annoying, according to how much of it gets crammed into one game. I don't mind collectibles by themselves, or achievements, but animals and (especially) shops really aggravate me. We need to come up with another category for those hidden object/adventure hybrid games, so those of us who still occasionally re-play Huntsville and the Scholastic games (like Spooky Manor) can have a page from which to choose games we will enjoy.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 11, 14 7:23 PM
This is one of those games that you actually have to complete to get the full effect of what is going on. If you only played the demo, then you missed out. I thought this was also going to be just another norm type of game, which is what I was looking for today, but then it takes a turn and a twist and BAM! I don't want to spoil it for anyone else, but you really do have to play more than just the demo. I'd recommend this game. It was fun, the storyline logically progressed through out the game play, even with the twists and turns. Quite a little surprise there. It is a standard game, but even without all the bells and whistles of a CE, I would just say get it and play it to the end.

5Jodi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by 5Jodi on Apr 13, 14 10:47 PM
Really enjoyed this game. Got stuck closer to the end, but worked it out and completed the game! And the message at the end was terrific - so appropriate!
If you run into difficulties, keep clicking... that and the hint button and writing down a few clues down helped. Fun!

Go to: