possumb
Starfish
Starfish
59 Posts

Re:REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by possumb on Apr 8, 14 5:02 AM
This is just beautiful. And I like to congratulate the producers [ERS Games] of fine details which are so 'Poetic'. For instance a shadow of a giant cockroach creeping along the wall - just fantastic. What a marvellous job!
Possumb

Jerry99
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

Re:REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Jerry99 on Apr 8, 14 8:35 PM
This is a very good game. I really enjoyed the hint button directing me to the many locations used in the story. The art was excellent and the game was interesting. I enjoyed the puzzles as well as the HOGs. A five star game in my book, like all the others of Edgar Allen Poe.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 9, 14 1:11 AM
Although I am a huge Poe fan, this game just didn't quite get there for me. But, as soon as I see this dev pop up on the screen, my heart sinks. However, I did start the game optimistically, and I really did try to give it my all, but this game was not a challenge. Instead of a rat eating sunflower seeds, why not put a raven there? Good grief, its POE!! At any rate, upon the completion of the game I was not wowed by it at all. Getting the houses, then searching with a magnifying glass to get coins, to buy equipment, to solve a totally unrelated mystery (?) with in the game was ridiculous to me. Story line did not stay true to the actual story, which in my opinion is not Poe worthy, but then again, it was 100% better than the Mystery of the Persian Carpet...oooff! I don't know this game felt like it was something that was thrown together instead of having a nice fluidity to the succession of events happening with in the story. On another note, I actually liked the music in this game and believe me that is a first. I usually mute the music.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 14, 14 8:02 AM
Why So Shy, Monsieur?

BONUS CONTENT REVIEW! POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

BONUS CHAPTER
A bit of a frustration, actually, for all that it was well put together and intriguing. The story is loosely connected to the main game, but in a confusing way that never becomes truly coherent. Mostly, I just plodded through doing whatever was next, without any real motivation, because I never quite got the hang of how this fit with the main story. This drove me nuts, and spoiled this chapter for me. It took a fair bit more than an hour, and was possibly closer to two, to complete the chapter. The English is a little less polished, and the graphics were occasionally off. This is true of several other ERS bonus chapters. They get sloppy near the end.

STRATEGY GUIDE
Easy to use, easy to find. Clear enough screenshots and pointers.

GALLERY
Videos x 14, Wallpapers x 6, Concept Art x 15, Screensavers x 5, Music x 4. So far, uninspiring. But there is also the PHOTO ALBUM.

This is a collection of photos you took with your CAMERA within the game. Great idea, letting us create our own wallpaper, but they are all screenshots of the location, and do NOT include the most important ingredient, M. Dupin himself. Why, I ask, oh why, can I not have likeness of my favourite detective on my desktop? Come, Monsieur, be not coy! Let me commission a portrait from ERS!

COLLECTIBLES
These are gold coins that you find only in the dollhouses scattered about the game. Yes, I said dollhouses *grin*. And, yes, they are inside them. Being reasonable sized dwellings, the dollhouses are not too hard to find, and once you use your special magnifier to see inside them, the coins are very obvious. It’s an odd arrangement, but original. It would have been nice, seeing they were there, for them all to have been different (the dollhouses), and collected somewhere for display.

LABORATORY
This, too, is frustrating. Having found all the coins needed to equip your laboratory, you proceed with a couple of very mini mini-games to discover the guilty suspect. That done, there is no follow through. We don’t pass the information on to Dupin, we don’t catch the culprit. No closure.

ACHIEVEMENTS
Many achievements, both performance and story based. They are displayed in our office, where we also have our photo album.

REPLAYABLES
Mini-games x 17, HOPs x 15. No fancy further puzzles to gain access to these games.

COMBINED IMPACT
I should remember to stop doing this to myself. ERS just don’t put all they’ve got into their bonus content, and I am usually less than happy with my purchase. I recommend the SE game.

Edited on 04/14/2014 at 8:02:43 AM PST

[Post New]by Fooball on Apr 25, 14 6:24 AM
I've come to the end of the main game but can't find where to access the bonus game play. It's definitely the Collector's Edition but there doesn't seem to be anything on the opening screen to click.
Can someone help me please?

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on May 3, 14 6:00 PM
I have purchased and played all the games in this series and this is one was my least favorite. I think ERS's bizarre steampunk worlds are intriguing, but this one was a bit over the top to my tastes. I think an occasional animal companion OK, but I think it's being overdone at this point by the all the game studios. The rat was interesting but not useful for anything and the genie was just weird. I am a fan of the original story and this one diverged so significantly that it made it hard for me to like it. Technically and artistically well done, with good music, I'm glad that ERS seems to have given up on liver actors for their games as I prefer the animated characters better. Once in a while I wish they could release a game that was more similar to the older titles--like The Black Cat--which was scary and traditional and had a an intriguing story line. I was disappointed that there was no bonus game; had I known that I would have held out for the SE version--though I enjoy collecting the music from these, I'm not sure it's worth the extra money.

That having been said I think there is a lot of good Poe material that would work well for game adaptation. What's wrong with a straight forward mystery once in a while like "The Purloined Letter"? There doesn't always have to be monsters.

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

Re:REVIEWS for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher Collector's Editio

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Jun 9, 14 7:38 PM
This game was good. Not my favorite of the Dark Tales but I enjoyed it. I did like getting the coins from the dollhouses but what we buy with the coins was pretty disappointing. I was a little confused with the map but I soon caught on to it. I had no idea what was with the rat just sitting there. It had no part of the game and did absolutely nothing. I loved the match 3 game. I found myself playing it a lot instead of looking for items.

Edited on 06/09/2014 at 7:50:19 PM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jun 18, 14 12:24 PM
loved the game, though the rat was rather cute even if he didn't do anything. got photos & coins but didn't know why?

Go to: