[Post New]by ajwiggin on Apr 9, 14 6:09 AM
gave up after a few minutes.....

Mart1n0940
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

Re:Violett

[Post New]by Mart1n0940 on Apr 9, 14 6:21 AM
I discovered you don't use the hand to pick things up but to move them about !

I spent 30 minutes trying to pick up the paper clip then discovered you have to swish the hand across the paper clip to move it to a different spot (like "gesturing"). Same with the big green bottle to tip it over

The ? hint gives you a picture of the next step too but it's hard to see what it's trying to say !

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 6:22:41 AM PST

tinatoerat
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by tinatoerat on Apr 9, 14 6:33 AM
The input setup instructions make me think that this game is intended for a handheld device of some sort, with joystick and buttons.

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Apr 9, 14 6:52 AM
Putting together everyone's comments, especially tinatoerat's about the input setup, I tried the game from the beginning using my snazzy new touch screen and flew through the first couple of screens. I know my screen is a rarity for a desktop but laptop users with such a screen might enjoy the game. Too bad there is no indication of this in the game description or intro screens...it'd make life for players easier and sales for BFG higher!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Apr 9, 14 7:16 AM
This is a cute, different little game but not easy. I got as far as the steaming tea pot and gave up. I think if I continued to play this game I would have developed Trichotillomania disorder and I want to keep what hair I have left

ETA: This is like a large file adventure game which I use to play and love. May give it a second try later and try not to pull my hair out LOL. Youtube has a video walkthrough.

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 9:54:16 AM PST

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Apr 9, 14 7:19 AM
People who like the Samorost series will like this one. If you want a game where you just sit and play and have hints and it's all cut and dried, then it won't be for you, but if you like a challenge, then you'll like this. It's definitely not your normal game. The language isn't really important, you just need to click around -- a lot.

sheaflyin
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by sheaflyin on Apr 9, 14 7:26 AM
I wanted to like this, I really did. It reminded me of 'The Tiny Bang', another game I have a love/hate relationship with....that was the game that swore me off of games without a skip button, but that's another story. Any who, thanks to the people that said the walkthrough was on Youtube. I watched the first section and started to watch the second part and realized, this is not the game for me. A beautiful, quirky little game. But my forearm is already hurting just swinging that d@&* bottle. Enjoy

Geckohead
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by Geckohead on Apr 9, 14 7:37 AM
Really wanted to like this game, it is kinda like The Tiny Bang Story, which I love and I wish there were many more levels. This however, is a poor comparison to anything that can actually be played. I tried to make it and it's just too confusing. Maybe the game play or something can be fixed.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 9, 14 8:02 AM
It's now wonder this was put on sale immediately! I made it as far as the wine bottle. Never did get it to tip over. If that's even what I was supposed to do. After trying to do that for about 10 min. I gave up.

I have to wonder if this was ever beta tested. If s, does anyone actually pay attention to the test results.

Edited to say that after reading other posts I may try this on my tablet. Touch screen just might be the answer.

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 8:05:22 AM PST

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Apr 9, 14 9:31 AM
I agree with all of you!

I liked the graphics, but I couldn't take any item !

I felt as a dumb because I was not able to pickup the paper clip!

For those who like this kind of game, enjoy it! It's not for me,
M.

midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by midori2 on Apr 9, 14 10:11 AM
coffeemom2 wrote:Wish I had read this forum first, Haha! I am glad it wasn't just me. I was feeling very stupid, that I was not able to do anything at all on the first scene. Most of you lasted longer than I did. I gave up after about 6 minutes! Too bad. This is just the sort of different game I like.

I also have to agree with some of your comments as well. I am having a bit of trouble using up my game credits which have accumulated (although there is no time limit on those...yet?) Used to be there were so many games I wanted and not enough credits to buy them with. Now, not so much. I abhor the "free" to play games and refuse to get sucked into that scheme. I miss the general forums so much..sniff sniff... and I am feeling rather neglected and underappreciated as a long-time BFG member. Although BF support is still very quick to respond and very helpful, I have found that general emails about subjects I might have gone to the forums about get ignored (such as when or if a new game will be available).

I, too, am questioning whether membership is still warranted, although I might have a hard time giving up the Deal of the Day! For the time being, I remain a member because I really feel this is the best game site and so far, there is nothing else better. Change is always hard, but I sure do miss the "old" Big Fish.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Coffeemom. I left for about a year, was lured back by Madame Fate. Any hope for a return to the once abundant supply of quality games that were challenging and fun to play is fading fast. Game after game of the same-old, same-old, way too easy formula, and today here's one that's impossible to play because the difficulty level swings the other way. Tick-tock, BF. Rethinking my hasty decision to restart my membership.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 9, 14 11:07 AM
As an Adventure game player first and foremost (I cut my gaming teeth on text based adventure games! ) I personally love this quirky game. I love games that don't hold your hand and that make you think! Once you catch on to using the hand cursor part (grab and hold left mouse button and move object in proper direction) it is fun, funny and challenging!

I always recommend people at least try the demo before buying or not buying. Also there are two (quite good) video walkthroughs posted in other threads in this forum that will get you started and get into the rhythm of the game. This is a great one to use a PCC on, or there is a sale today as well!

This game promises hours or even days of fun and mental stimulation! So happy to get out of the predictable rut!

Thank you BFG for "changing it up"!

Abs

[Post New]by jillfisher on Apr 9, 14 1:00 PM
I'm with you MissAbby. This crazy game is a blast and not for everyone. I used a credit on it after only four scenes because they were so challenging! I tried it initially because of the rave review from Nilosh, a prolific reviewer whose opinion I value. This game is going to take me awhile. I better get back to it.

smokey735
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by smokey735 on Apr 9, 14 1:15 PM
elvenstardragon wrote:
BereniceP wrote:Can't even get started, can't pick up the paper clip in the first scene! Nothing happens. Giving up!

I agree with all up above. Can't get anything to react. My mouse just goes through everything as though it's not there. The only thing that does react is the 'thing' in the left hand cage and that just makes gibberish noises. Certainly not English. Is this supposed to be a playable game.
I was hoping for an SE game to use my many CCs on because I have lost 2 already this week. The only SEs this week/10days have been SEs of CEs I have already bought. Is this BF trying to get rid of CCs altogether. There really is'nt any reason to be a member anymore. One CE edition game a week is just not worth it, and giving CCs for buying 2 games and then having nothing to use said CC is really not on, and please don't tell me to buy in other catagories because I only like HOGS.
It seems that loyalty is not high on the agenda anymore for BF.
Rant over, although my anger is'nt.

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 1:15:59 PM PST

geninfo4
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by geninfo4 on Apr 9, 14 2:00 PM
agree with all who posted. this game could be great, but because the mouse,etc would not pic up items it became a game of frustration. what gives BFG???another DUD! another game I will not BUY!!!!!!

Edited on 04/09/2014 at 2:00:46 PM PST

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 9, 14 2:30 PM
When the cursor becomes a hand you can left click and (HOLD) on item to move it to where it needs to be.

This is an adventure game, and it does work fine, but adventure games aren't for everyone. You have to use logic to figure out what needs to be done with the item. The hints will give you four hints per scene in the order of what you need to do in that scene. Hope this helps some who want to try a great little adventure game!

Abs

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Apr 9, 14 3:10 PM
Doesn't sound compatible with a laptop touch pad.

MissAbby
Catfish
Catfish
1,709 Posts

[Post New]by MissAbby on Apr 9, 14 4:01 PM
Is it possible for you to try to download the demo and see if it DOES work Snapnhiss? Just sayin'

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Apr 9, 14 8:33 PM
I'm with Miss Abby. For me this game is kooky and interesting and well worth playing. Not perfect, of course, and definitely not in the same league as Samorost and Machinarium. I think the frustration level in Violett is much higher, for one thing. And I don't know how well the story develops and what the ending's like. But so far it's charming and just requires time and patience and trying different things. It's a game to be savored slowly and played over time. After all there's no rush. And I like games that train my brain in different ways.

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Apr 9, 14 10:39 PM
RenaissanceMom wrote:I'm with Miss Abby. For me this game is kooky and interesting and well worth playing. Not perfect, of course, and definitely not in the same league as Samorost and Machinarium. I think the frustration level in Violett is much higher, for one thing. And I don't know how well the story develops and what the ending's like. But so far it's charming and just requires time and patience and trying different things. It's a game to be savored slowly and played over time. After all there's no rush. And I like games that train my brain in different ways.

Hi RenaissanceMom, I agree with most of what you said, but Machinarium just about drove me crazy! Samorost was more my style, as is this game. I started out having to use hints frequently, but then got the hang of the game. There are definitely some brilliant parts! Whited out spoilers ahead:

In the spider's lair turning the pages of the books to get the correct results.

The train station using the pop gun and the whistle.

The cockroach scene going in and out of the trees to get the different colored keys.

The most frustrating part right now for me is the staircase and trying to get to a different place, but I don't care because I am loving this game. I am on level 6, I think, and according to the walk through there are at least 15 levels to the game.

Audrey

Go to: