divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by divaprods on Apr 12, 14 6:17 PM
shripch wrote:This is just such a wonderful game. Everything about it is a class act. And the music! Usually I turn it off, but not this time. The voice overs are so spot on, it's amazing. I had one question about the "collectibles", but that was answered in another forum, so it's all perfect. Perfect. Perfect.

(I just started a serious diet, so the one thing I will miss in this game is a good wine to go along with the ambiance! Oh well, can't have everything )

I agree about the music, this is one of the few where I have kept the music on, usually I hate it. As to the rest of the game it's AMAZING and a definite buy. It does seem a bit short for a CE since I was able to finish it in one sitting. But all in all, worth the money, a winner and it's about time for something really different!!!

jaxxgirl
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by jaxxgirl on Apr 12, 14 8:28 PM
NancySusan wrote:There are so many great things about this game, that two of the really big drawbacks don't exactly fade into insignificance, but aren't quite enough for me not to buy the game. Let me first say that I lived just outside of New Orleans briefly when I was a little girl, and the architecture of New Orleans is absolutely wonderful and mostly lacking in this game which is really sad, I mean really sad. No French Quarter, no authenticity at all. And it's so easy to find and duplicate. Second, and yay, cheers, a story starring a young black woman, with a real accent, how great, but New Orleans in 1941 was deeply racist, it was racist when I lived in the area years later. That would affect her ease of movement, but she's obviously a resourceful woman, so let that pass. Also police tape and ziplock bags did. not. exist. Also, the cars moving around, otherwise a wonderful touch, are mostly from the 1920's and 1930's. But the clothes and hair looked fairly authentic. Also, this is not true widescreen -- there's a slight stretched look on my 23" monitor. Ok, that all said, really fun HOP's, interesting mini-games, wonderful music, an interesting story, great color saturation, and virtually everything else good already said by justthefacts, Nilosh, etc. Definitely a buy for me after slightly more than 30 mins. of play, even if I have to wince at the lack of black wrought iron anywhere, and the constant presence of heavy, brickwork and hills in the distance. But the music and the story, at least so far, win.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 13, 14 2:54 AM
Bonus Content Review! Possible Spoilers!*****

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

BONUS CHAPTER
Excellent addition to the game, but in no way necessary. It is a prequel set 20 years in the past, and you play a much more amiable Frankie *grin*. The locations HOPs and other puzzles and games are all new. They are a sample of the kind of games we played in the main game. The story is self-contained and ended well. It took me just over an hour to play.

STRATEGY GUIDE
I used this rarely, but it is clear and concise, you can see the screenshots reasonably clearly, and the collectibles and morphing objects are shown. For those left confused by the collectibles pages in the SG, yes, there is another set of collectibles altogether different than the ones we collected in the game.

GALLERY
Quality wallpapers (not just screenshots) x 12, excellent concept art (before and after) x 20, music x 9

COLLECTIBLES 1 (MUSIC BOX PUZZLE)
In order to solve the Music Box Puzzle, you must find all 44 collectible music notes. These are not as easy as I first imagined, I only managed 29! Mostly because I was too involved in the game to remember. Each note in the game is represented in the music box, and you can go back and find the ones you missed one by one. I love doing this.

INVESTIGATION (BRIEFCASE) PUZZLE
Once you have all the missing music notes, you move on to the briefcase and a puzzle where you must make the connections between the characters, based on what you learnt in the game. Not easy, even when you play the games one after the other. On completion, you compose a specially designed ‘handle’ and return to the music box.

COLLECTIBLES 2 (MUSIC BOX PUZZLE)
Once you have the handle, your new puzzle presents itself as a miniature stage. You must find the 2nd set of collectibles, one per location in the main game. These are the collectibles in pink which caused so much confusion early on. They could be anything, from a violin to a harpoon, and a picture is given at the right hand bottom corner of the screen. Once you start on this puzzle, you cannot travel in any order other than the specific order given. If you leave and come back in, you will be exactly where you were. On completion of your search, you return to the stage for a HOP that contains many but not all of the objects you found. Finish that and you can at last restore the music repair shop.

MUSICAL REPAIR SHOP
This is a nicely conceived jigsaw puzzle. The pieces show the workshop in all its repaired glory, while the board shows the repair shop as it is after the fire. Fun, and completion finally gives you access to the replayable HOPs.

REPLAYABLE HOPs
All the HOPs in the game are here, with recorded statistics on how well you did them. A star rating system based on speed, accuracy and no hints measures your performance. Only with perfect scores here can you hope for all the achievements.

ACHIEVEMENTS
You have to play all of these games to get all of the achievements, of which there are 15 performance awards with three rankings each: bronze, silver and gold. The final award is for achieving the gold medal in all 15 achievements. They are nicely displayed in a medal cabinet.

CONCLUSIONS
So, like, wow! There are hours of play just in the extras, and I have been fluttering around them for the better part of 3 hours, taking them at my own pace. Certainly good value, with or without the sale, and a definite must buy as a Collector’s Edition!

Edited on 04/13/2014 at 3:00:46 AM PST

LKlimo
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by LKlimo on Apr 13, 14 11:35 AM
I have never posted a review before. I generally read them and make some decisions from there. I just had to on this one! What a refreshing change! The puzzles and HOS are completely different! I have finally forced myself to stop playing for the day because I'm almost finished with the main game. It's the kind of game I wish would go on for much longer. It's just not the same old, same old. I hope there are more of these in the future! Pure enjoyment!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 13, 14 2:01 PM
This is the most enjoyable game I've played in a long time. This had everything..the works. Awesome to die for music, wonderful storyline, graphics that were over the top in perfection and also some just great because they were new..the cubist painting..loved that.
It is a deeply unselfish game..long, multiple angles going on...again..the awesome blues, great voices. I'd say this developer and crew had a nice long trip to N'Orleans. The faces were right on, the voices had the attitude. I lived in the south a long time and wondered where were the african-americans in these games.
The extras were wonderful..they went on and on..keep at it, there are a LOT of extreas after the game.
Thank you for this game, I'll be humming that jazz for days.
kris

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Apr 13, 14 7:19 PM
Thank you Just the Facts for the review on the bonus section. I did purchase the game after I read that, as I am not usually a big fan of CE's. Anyhoooo, this, imho, was an excellent game. Different, unique (as you can get with these types of games), different locale, different story line, different HOS, etc. I actually enjoyed playing the HOS, where I usually just slog through them. Puzzles were intuitive and enjoyable. I love the setting of the game.... Nawleans, Mardi Gras, long ago south. I believe Mad Head succeeds with their games because they take the time to make a game properly instead of churning out one after another. This was a work of art and done with loving care and an inordinate attention to detail. 5 stars from me

[Post New]by lorraine2215 on Apr 13, 14 10:22 PM
Best game I have played in years. Adult, good voices and the story makes sense!
Really great game.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 14, 14 12:32 AM
Tauret wrote:I just finished the trial and this is a no buy for me. I am not a fan of jazz music, but that isn’t what is holding me back as I have no problem with turning off the soundtrack or at least turning off a game’s music...

The main problem is that I got bored. The story had promise, though the theme is nothing new, but the execution just didn’t hold my interest. I liked one of the HOScenes, where you found items, like “normal” but there were a couple of HOScenes that really irked me. I didn’t like that so many of the inventory items are + items that you have to do something with them before you can use them in a scene. I don’t mind one of two of these, but not one after another after another. The mini-games I encountered were way too simplistic and I am no Super Duper Mini-Gamer. I also didn’t like the way the map functioned.

I played about 36 minutes of the demo before giving up for all of the reasons above, plus the first (and only) HOS I played was confusing until I caught on to what it was about... retrieving music notes. That's all it was... replace an object or move an object and the reward was a music note. What purpose they served, I have no clue..

The map was a pure loser. Not transporting exactly, but you had to give the taxi driver the address and then you rode to the next location. It reminded me of the really old games where you complete one location at a time.

I'm another one who was baffled by the drunk in the alley but for a different reason. WHY would he have a key to the nightclub????

Also agree about too much yap. And why did I have to listen to a singer all the way through one cut scene?

I give it one very lousy star.

coatesrus
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by coatesrus on Apr 14, 14 7:18 AM
This is one of the BEST GAMES I have played in months. Great Game!

NYtaxi
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by NYtaxi on Apr 14, 14 7:24 AM
Danke, danke, danke!!!!!! Es ist einer der besten Spiel in den letzten Jahren!!!!
Endlich keine Drachen, Prinzessinnen und Elfen etc., die mir wirklich zum Hals raushängen. Bitte mehr! Ich danke Euch, LG Tina

[Post New]by squareface on Apr 14, 14 5:17 PM
Excellent, Excellent game best I ever played

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Apr 16, 14 12:04 PM
I can't say enough good about this game. So many of the things in this game are new and different but still not to difficult to figure out. The music is soooo refreshing and I love it. Oh I do hope we see more games like this one ,beautiful and fun and the story is interesting as well. Thank you who ever came up with this sort of game thank you so much. and Big Big Hugs to you!!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Apr 16, 14 2:10 PM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:I Love this Game! Absolutely stunning and magical with the best music! Top of the line voice acting and animations. I highly recommend this Winner!

I'll leave all the details up to Other's...who do a great job(Thank you ) with all of them. Great job to the Developers and Thanks for this great game !

This is a must try forsure...but a buy for me! Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"

My "Terms" for Hogs,IHogs,Frogs & Other types of games.

DEVINE FINE SWINE:
The absolute best of the best! It has everything you want in a game and things you didn’t know you wanted in a game. It is a rare beauty and a must have! Beyond expectations! I really love it!

FINE SWINE:
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games.

PORK BELLY:
Likable game for some, but not for everyone. But this one is for me.

TROTTER:
Pig's foot, don't run away with buying it. lol

PIG DOWN:
Rolling in the mudd, don't go near it or you'll get soiled.
‘ ‘
(o)

Sorry, I have to disagree! This is "Divine Fine Swine" not just "Fine Swine" !

[Post New]by shearer9 on Apr 16, 14 3:08 PM
Read all the reviews on here. i must be playing a different game . found this very boring . nothing about this game appealled at all . have to say worst game i have ever played ( and i have played a lot ) would advise do not buy until you have tried the sample. enjoy your gaming lol

Edited on 04/16/2014 at 3:09:18 PM PST

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 17, 14 9:37 PM
What a brilliant game - everything has already been said about the features.

This is one of the few games where I really enjoyed the music. Now coming in and reading the comments, I'm going to have to restart the game as I didn't know about the morphing objects! The notes are hard to find which is a good thing and the puzzles are different as well as the hidden object scenes. Love the accent and voiceovers.

This is a definite buy - just waiting for some Easter specials.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Apr 18, 14 8:05 PM
Bought the game on a BOGO so didn't play the demo first. Probably would not have bought it if I had. Puzzles and HO's were easy, but I think what really bugged me the most is that the developers only had three African American characters in the whole game and that doesn't represent New Orleans at all. One thing I *did* get a kick out of....did anyone else notice a note from a landlord signed "Stanley Roper"?

chumface
Herring
Herring
355 Posts

[Post New]by chumface on Apr 18, 14 9:31 PM
Seems this game is either Loved or Hated.

My opinion so far, (have not played bonus yet). VERY WELL DONE! A lot of thought and work went into this one. BOWS to Devs.
Music and voice acting superb.
Innovative game play! Hos play was quite different! (loved the one with the tattoos on the sailor's back).
The only thing that I nit-pick is the stuff I see in all games like, "the jack that is missing its handle", and stuff like, "the pile of ashes that you just have find a tool to sift through", (in this game it was a vacuum cleaner!). If you were in a life or death situation like the game implies, wouldn't you just use your hands?

Edited on 04/18/2014 at 9:31:37 PM PST

[Post New]by Pennypixie on Apr 19, 14 11:35 AM
I've been playing HOGs on Big Fish for a couple of years now and I've never made a post. That should tell you how strongly I feel about this game. I'm only halfway through but my goodness, this game is WONDERFUL. The voice acting, the music, the singing, the graphics, the story... so wonderful and original.

You will not be sorry.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Apr 28, 14 5:04 AM
Like many here I just had to comment on the soundtrack to this game; it was marvellous.

Loved the jazz music & the voice acting is the best I have encountered in the games I have played here at BFG.

Thank you to Mad Head Games

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Apr 28, 14 1:26 PM
roaming wrote:
Tauret wrote:I just finished the trial and this is a no buy for me. I am not a fan of jazz music, but that isn’t what is holding me back as I have no problem with turning off the soundtrack or at least turning off a game’s music...

The main problem is that I got bored. The story had promise, though the theme is nothing new, but the execution just didn’t hold my interest. I liked one of the HOScenes, where you found items, like “normal” but there were a couple of HOScenes that really irked me. I didn’t like that so many of the inventory items are + items that you have to do something with them before you can use them in a scene. I don’t mind one of two of these, but not one after another after another. The mini-games I encountered were way too simplistic and I am no Super Duper Mini-Gamer. I also didn’t like the way the map functioned.

I played about 36 minutes of the demo before giving up for all of the reasons above, plus the first (and only) HOS I played was confusing until I caught on to what it was about... retrieving music notes. That's all it was... replace an object or move an object and the reward was a music note. What purpose they served, I have no clue..

The map was a pure loser. Not transporting exactly, but you had to give the taxi driver the address and then you rode to the next location. It reminded me of the really old games where you complete one location at a time.

I'm another one who was baffled by the drunk in the alley but for a different reason. [color=#cc0202]WHY would he have a key to the nightclub????[/
color]

Also agree about too much yap. And why did I have to listen to a singer all the way through one cut scene?

I give it one very lousy star.

I completely agree [except I love many genres of music including Jazz] and the music aspect was very good in this game.

For me, the beginning was pure excitement and anticipation... unfortunately Cadenza quickly became a disappointment with non-immersive components due to some of the reasons mentioned above... and, it just simply it lacked depth.

I loved the music... I loved the concept... the graphics were beautiful... it just didn't pull it off in the story department.
Sad.

Go to: