penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

Re:Welcome to Emerald City Confidential forum

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 25, 09 7:52 PM
I have had to use the WALK Through on this game...

It is very different then i had thought i need to finish it

THX for the different hints

PEN

runewarden
Herring
Herring
300 Posts

[Post New]by runewarden on Dec 7, 09 7:44 PM
Just completed this game and loved it.

I would reccommend it to anyone who loved Sierra ''point-and-click'' games. It has a great plot line, easy flow of events and an inbuilt hint system.

There was only one or two times that this game left me scratching my head, otherwise the puzzles were logical and usually find x to do x. For the most part I found it too easy, I would have liked it to have been more challenging since it was such a high quality game.

Graphics, voice acting were excellent. I loved the scenery, and the characters were all very unique while easily recognisable as the famous Oz characters.

I'd love to see more games like this, although I felt it could have done without the buttons - it seemed a rather odd way of incorporating HOG elements to what was purely an old fashioned adventure game.

This took me a few weeks of play in small doses to complete. I think in one sitting it could be completed in around 3 hours.

janinpa
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by janinpa on Apr 25, 10 12:45 PM
I do not believe it. I have never played a game of this type before. Sometimes I kept wanting it to end, but then I was excited to see what was coming next. It probably took me 4 or 5 days, but this was off and on. I never used the walk through. I would get a bit stuck sometimes and the journal would get me through. The hardest part for me was Ozma on the plank. Great game for someone who wants something different. The story kept your interest and the ending great! (I got all the medals except for the buttons.) I recommend it.
Jan

TnTexas
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by TnTexas on May 27, 10 11:58 PM
The following comments are based on solely on the demo:

This is one that easily found its way on to my "Must Buy" list. I love the fact that it's an adventure/puzzle type game and not a HOG or iHOG one. (I like that kind of game - especially the iHOGs - but a change is nice.) The Land of Oz via the lens of a film noir was original and funny, and I'm looking forward to solving the mysteries one day.

Tam5115
Clownfish
Clownfish
932 Posts

[Post New]by Tam5115 on Jun 2, 11 2:12 AM
Someone, can't recall who, somewhere, can't recall where, suggested this game and I scribbled the name down in one of my notebooks. I decided to give it a try and I got so involved in the demo that I lost track of time.

This game has had me howling at times! I am so appreciating the humor, I can't even tell you. Wizard Of Oz in a Sam Spade scenario? Are you KIDDING me? That is hilarious!

I've had a couple weird glitches, something about line something, but I click ok and it goes back to the game. Weird. It's long too! Or at least it seems long. Yeah, I got myself messed up and the scarecrow wouldn't say he was the scarecrow and kept talking about Toto at the university, so I started over. But I've been playing for a LONG time and it looks like I don't even have half the gems yet. Either we scream through the last half or it's really long for a SE.

Love it, love it, love it! I want a sequel for sure!

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Dec 1, 11 10:43 AM
I loved the demo! Its a cute storyline and I feel as if I am part of a cartoon (in a positive way). I am enjoying the adventure and I rarely listen to the games but I played this one with the sound on and the voices are fun and cute. The graphics are fine, my only issue is it stops at times but I will uninstall and reinstall before I purchase so that issues can be corrected.

ps702rs
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by ps702rs on Dec 25, 11 12:28 AM
Hi all,

my game seems to have become frozen in the whole investigating bill phase - I got bill to talk to me and confronted jack pumpkin but nothing is happening - and it won't let me ask anyone else anything or do anything to get out of it (keeps saying let's talk about something else) what can I do as toto's gone so I can't get him to re-sniff the pumpkin!!! Help!

[Post New]by zipzipface on Jul 14, 12 10:08 PM
Where do I go to get my money back. Playing this game is like watching grass grow.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 1, 13 2:13 PM
It has been well over a year since I've come across an old gem here at big fish and thankfully found this game. How to describe it? Think wizard of oz meets nick chase meets avenue flo and it's put into a comic strip in which you can interact and you get the idea.

It's obviously dialogue heavy but you can click to get through it faster - you get "choices" of how to respond but after replaying it and picking different choices it doesn't make a difference only to you playing it and how you would want to respond.

The story is that you play as Petra a bit hardened, cynical private detective in the land of Oz. but this isn't the land of Oz that you might think! Whoever came up with the details of the characters (tin man and oil!) and areas is pure brilliant as it was witty, funny and clever.

You have 50 quests in the game and hidden buttons to collect throughout and there are medals/ achievements. I had a glitch when I replayed the game and all my medals disappeared at the end. The buttons are actually three different coloured sparkle in some scenes (so are easy to see and I wish somehow it could have been buttons you were looking for) you can change it into concept art in the game in a store but you don't have to as it gets auto changed for you later in the game.

At the beginning it was very straightforward hence the 3/5 for hardness, the middle to the end was more medium hardness and at the very end scenes you had to try a few things but as the inventory was limited you aren't lost.

New locations open up when you unlock them through conversation triggers so it's very obvious where to go and explore next. Later in the game just keep talking to people exhausting all dialogue and if you concentrate on it, it will give you clues as to who you have to speak to next.

Under options you can speed up how quickly people walk, thus speeding up the game, you also have a journal.

I will say that the one weak point in the game - as often you did exhaust the dialogue but it didn't go away under the choices of dialogue so it kept repeating needless dialogue. if they removed ALL the choices after you heard it the first time or put it in a different colour to show you had listened to it that would have been better. The part at the university with the knowledge machine was also slow.

to be continued

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Feb 1, 13 2:15 PM
continued

Also I would have loved if you could also manual save in places as I had to replay the game to get all the medals and in the end got a technical hitch!

Time for me was about 4hrs (about a standard SE), if you speed up a lot of dialogue it probably will take 3hrs.

If you don't mind a lot of dialogue, want an easier (not very easy just easier) adventure game with no puzzles, don't mind banner pop ups of the quests then I recommend this game to you. I really loved it, something quirky, different and quality - bravo playfirst.

Here's hoping for a sequel.

Go to: