catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 15, 14 2:24 AM
(review continued)

I wasn't such a big fan of the puzzles, to be honest. I was able to solve some of them, but a couple needed to be skipped. I was also a little disappointed. For a developer that was famous for providing new and fun puzzles, these ones seemed... normal. Even though they were nothing new, the puzzles did have VERY CLEAR instructions, which was great.

This game is PACKED with awesome gameplay features. I loved them, but I especially loved the Karma Meter! This was a wonderful new feature. During the character interaction scenes, you got to pick a “nice” response or a “bad” response. What you picked determined the way the story played out. The developers have “hit the sweet spot” here! I absolutely LOVE having a say in how the story goes! I hope this feature makes its return in future games. If so, I'm gonna be broke, but it'll be worth it!
Another great feature for me was the powers. These were a feature in another favourite game of mine, so I was overjoyed to see them here. There are no indications of how many powers there are. I unlocked two powers in the demo time period: icebreaker and translator. Both were used a couple of times, giving me the idea they will be used frequently, but not too frequently, throughout the game.
The features just keep getting better for me... WE HAVE AN ANIMAL HELPER! WOOOOO! Oh my Gosh, you have no idea how much I've been waiting for one of those! In this game, our helper is a wolf cub, who we get to name after rescuing from a well. As it is found near the end of the demo, it is not used much, but it's still a great feature.
Another feature is the plus items. These are items that you need to interact with to compete. They're becoming more and more of a standard feature these days, but any game that has them has done a good job.

And of course, with a Mad Head game, comes the Mad Head minishows! Normally, I love them, but I have a huge problem here: THEY'VE CHANGED! And not for the better either, quite the opposite, in fact. Time was that you could move your mouse over a place with gears, click on it, and be given a hint as to what was meant to go there. Sadly, this is no more. In its place, there is a massive question mark. This made me furious. Why change something that didn't need changing? A real shame.

(TBC in post 3. Sorry guys!)

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Rite of Passage: Hide and Seek Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 15, 14 2:25 AM
As far as basic features go, the game has good ones. The diary is good, but some notes are pictures rather than words, which is a pet hate in games for me. The map and hint both work well and the map is interactive. Due to all the features, I would not say this is your average HOPA which, again, means I can't recommend this for beginners.

Once again, the graphics in this game are top-class. They are drawn with such attention to detail and wonderful colours. They are a delight. Everything is crystal clear; they did not put a foot wrong with the graphics. The character designs are great too. They look almost like real people.
Voice-overs are standard. I have no issue.

FEATURES
4 modes of difficulty: Casual, Advanced, Hard and Custom. Custom lets you set the game the way you want. Differences in the other difficulties are standard. I played Casual.
Hint/Skip- both recharge at a decent speed for the difficulty I selected. Hint is useful outside HOS.
Diary- keeps track of events. Good for remembering key elements of the story.
Timer
Map- The map is interactive and quite helpful. It lets you know which locations have stuff to do in them and which ones are complete.
Karma Meter- A great new feature. Which way it goes is based on the responses you give. It also changes the ending of the story.
Powers- no indication of how many there are, or what they are. I had 2 by the end of the demo. They were used evenly. A great feature.
Animal helper- This is a wolf cub that we find and name. Used rarely (once in the demo, according to reviews, about 5 times in the game).
+ items- These are items you need to interact with to complete. Little + signs indicate the item that can be interacted with. When it turns green, the object is ready to be interacted with.

CE EXCLUSIVES
Bonus chapter- 99% sure this won't be needed
Built in Strategy Guide- great for puzzles. Also lets you know about location of collectibles.
Collectible handprints(43)- there is one in every scene. There is a bonus for collecting them all.
Replay HOS, minishows & puzzles
Re-watch cutscenes
Alchemist's tale- unsure what this is
Forest Runner- a bonus minigame. Unlocked after doing some stuff.
Achievements
Wallpapers
Cast- assemble posters of the characters
Soundtrack
Imaginings- the background story behind some of the places in the game.

WHICH IS THE BETTER BUY?
I have stated I'm not purchasing this game, but I think that most will be happy with the CE. There are many extras here, which you will enjoy.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Jun 15, 14 2:27 AM
(last post. This is why I don't post reviews in forums)

So, while this is a good game, the weak story makes it impossible for me to purchase. MadHead have done well here. I award this game 3 ½ stars. Stars were lost due to:
Very weak story
problems with the minishow

That being said, I highly recommend you download the trial. This is a decent game from a great developer. Have fun!

WHO WOULD SUIT THIS GAME?
Beginners? NO. Once again, I advise you stay well clear of this one, due to all the extra features. It may turn you off a great genre.
Advanced Players? YES. This will test you. Have fun..
Expert Players? YES. This will be great for you, I reckon.

raspust
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by raspust on Jun 15, 14 12:04 PM
Thank you Mad Heads for the BRILLIANT game again! This is another game jewel from you guys!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 18, 14 11:57 AM
! I am a total fan of all of the Rite of Passage games , this one being no exception. I'm set to replay the whole game, unless Thursday brings a great CE. Some have complained it's too easy? I think we have just become comfortable with the style and it SEEMS easier. I recommend you give it a try!

[Post New]by kbishop1108 on Jun 20, 14 5:20 PM
I am having some technical difficulty with this game. I am not sure if it is my computer or the game itself. All of the "movie" scenes, like at the beginning of the game before you get to the title screen, will not play. They start to play and then freeze up. This is also during the game too. I'm in the middle of a scene right now and I cannot continue because everything in the scene is moving and is causing the game to freeze up. Like I said, I am not sure if my computer is the problem, but i did go thru it and uninstalled some programs to free up space. I also looked online on how to speed my computer up and did what it said to do. I am not having this problem with any other Big Fish Game or any other program on my computer. Can you please help me. I really want to finish this game. I have always loved Big Fish Games and have never had any problems. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jun 20, 14 7:22 PM
now in demo, good game, great graphics, nice change ups with the hos...puzzles are pretty simple, and it looks like a cute puppy just appeared in the well (should we call Timmy???) can do without the cuteness in a dark game, seriously! if we must have a 'helper', can't it be something really cool like a hawk or a vulture, or maybe a black mamba snake or something that fits the game....i'm still gonna buy it, maybe on a sale. don't really want the 'extras' that come with a ce...who does want that stuff?
i have no idea what anyone does with it...so i don't really want to pay for it, and frankly the 'bonus' game is frequently boring and not worth the extra cost.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 29, 14 4:05 AM
Another Top Ten Game!**
BASED ON DEMO

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
The 2nd Rites Of Passage game, “Child of the Forest” is on my top 10 ever list, and this one will be joining it, if this trial is a good guide. Once again, the developers have astonished me with more imaginative variations on both HOPs and mini-games. Add breathtaking art and an instantly involving story, and wow!

SIGHTS & SOUNDS
The intro scenes, both before and after the menu page, are excellently put together, and are immediately intriguing. The art is beautiful in every way, the acting is very good, the ambient sounds exceptional. The music is perfect, especially a delightfully delicate piano and wind instruments tune. In truth, it is difficult to describe how well these elements combine for such a charming atmosphere, not totally dark and scary, but foreboding and just a little eerie.

WHAT’S HAPPENING?
Right from the beginning, there are unexpected twists in this story. Twenty years ago, playing hide and seek as a child, you were tricked into reading a curse and the entire group of children with you disappeared! Including your little brother. Your Dad was lost in the fog, presumed dead, trying to find him. You and your mother moved away and started a new life. Now, your mother has died, and you discover that your father is alive and still searching for your brother. Of course, you must go find him, even though it is clear, this whole fiction about him being dead is to keep you away from your old town.

Our home town, when we arrive, is in the grip of a strange dark fog, which torments the townspeople and leaves peculiar patches of ice where it’s been. We find our father after a bit of toing and froing, only to have him ripped from our grasp by a collapsing wall. I love that the ensuing combined HOP and mini-games so much resemble searching through rubble. Wonderful idea!

GAMEPLAY
Again, using new puzzles and processes, combining the known with the very original, these developers create a wholly different style of HOP. They involve, variously, interactive word lists, matching pairs, mini-puzzles, coin slots, inventory + items and much more. The mini-games are various, again, many originals, and most were not too difficult for me. They are nicely imbedded in the game. There is an interactive jump map, showing active areas, although you have to work out for yourself what the symbols are for.

You also have a choice of responses in some of the interactions with other characters, and your choices affect your “karma”, and therefore the results of certain actions and the conclusion of the game. You can check on your karmic health in the journal. It also contains the story, codes etc., achievements and a game timer. There is also a task list. Hint is directional. There are 3 difficulty levels, and a customization option.

There are some special skills you can use as you progress. There is a scar on your hand from childhood, and now it starts glowing. You soon come to realise that you can use it to melt the strange ice left by the fog. Later, you can also use it to translate clues in an ancient spirit language. I don’t know if there’ll be others. The back story is told in different ways, for instance with a picture story-like puzzle that has you correctly placing misplaced objects. We have, at least temporarily, a cute and very cuddly companion, who brings surprising skills to the investigation.

CE BLING!
Achievements for, both story and performance, number about 19, but there is also a score for the HOPs, for accuracy, time and I assume, non-use of hint. There are collectible hand prints (43), with an indicator in each location. Which you need to do the Handprint Hunt additional mini-game. Which in turn needs to be completed to play the Alchemist game. There are also morphing objects (43), in the HOP scenes. The gallery section includes the usual – in this case, very nicely done – music, wallpapers, movies, and character portraits (pieced together from items collected in the game). There are replayable HOPs and a separate additional called Forest Runner.

COMBINED IMPACT
I loved it! These developers remind me, every time they release a game, that not all my favourite developers have names starting with E. It’s an absolute must!
I recommend this game!

[Post New]by gram_orboys on Jul 1, 14 11:16 PM
This is a very relaxing game for me. I've been enjoying it until the "house" that will not let me put the picture together nor find the girl! Or leave! Learning they have [hopefully] fixed the glitches, I uninstalled and download it again. It has been nice not having to run all over finding items. the wolf pup does make a nice flashlight! I can think of times when her mark powers would be handy also. It was nice being able to use the gnome as a hammer instead of finding one. Wish more games would let me use what ever is handy to get the job done like I do at home.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Sep 13, 14 2:33 PM
This was a wonderful game and I just relaxed and totally enjoyed it playing in casual mode

I loved all aspects of it, music, graphics, storyline, mini-games, hidden object games, looking for collectables, transport map and hints worked well...My little helper really helped when I remembered to use him The Strategy Guide was right on

These developers really tried to cover everything and it showed and I thank them for making this such an enjoyable game [more please ]...I did not remember to get all the morphs and handprints but I'm not upset about it

This one of a few CE's That I really hesitate to delete since I have not yet scoured all the extras and the music is still running through my mind, sooo enchanting

No real glitches other than the pointer getting 'floatly' on occasion but I just pretty much ignored it and the somewhat long interlude between scenes were not too bad [I just imagine the game madly sorting out the info

Please read the great reviews by others that give fine descriptions as to content - story and opinions.

I think that someday I will replay this beauty and recommend it for all the Fishies that like an enjoyable game.

This one gets a full out of possible 5

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER!!!!
Note; I kept passing on this game without even trying it because of the PIC of the girl with RED EYES !!...I am glad I just happened on someone's' review that said how good it was...

Edited on 09/17/2014 at 1:40:11 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Oct 1, 14 6:26 PM
Finally (!!) finished the main game (won't be playing the bonus for awhile), and I have to disagree with most of the reviews - the ones that liked the game, I didn't, the ones that thought the game too easy, I didn't. I thought the mini-games, most anyway were just aggravating and boring. I found the idea of the "fog" being able to reach things I couldn't, just dumb, and all in all, couldn't wait until I was done. My Irish stubborness kept me going even tho I just wanted to quit and not care how it came out! Sorry, but I was bored, aggravated, and well, that about covers it!! For you Fishies out there that liked the game, continue to enjoy!!

feenix

Go to: