govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

Re:PLEASE READ THREADS BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS

[Post New]by govols2 on Jun 22, 14 12:57 PM
april3850 wrote:Ok, I thought this horse was dead, but since its been resurrected, I must say a few things. First, when I started this thread I did so because I went down the list of threads, opened them, and the same exact 3 questions were asked in every one of them. After, typing pretty much the same answer like 3 times, I got frustrated and created this post. I just dont understand why someone would start a thread asking about keys, when right underneath was another thread with keys in the heading. Why wouldnt you open that post and see if your question was answered before starting a new post asking the same question? I didnt have to open anything to see that there were 3 threads in a row about keys.

Also, I usually dont let crap people say bother me, but my feelings were a little hurt when I opened this post to find someone Ive never seen in here before calling me mean and hostile. I have been in this forum answering questions and helping others as best I know how every day for the past 8 months. I have went out of my way to do so as politely and as professionally as I know how. I do NOT believe I have been mean or hostile to anyone in here. I have tried to be helpful and if I dont know the answer, I have went out of my way, taking time away from my own game, trying to find the answers for others and report back. This is something I do because I want to and I like helping people. And to have someone, especially someone who obviously is not a regular, accuse me of being hostile and not wanting to help people, well that really gets under my skin. It actually almost makes me want to stop coming in here at all!

April, I truly apologize if I hurt your feelings. That was not my intent. Perhaps hostile was too strong a word . I am a veteran player and have been posting at BF for a few years. I have seen threads like this started all the time. I may not have posted in this forum often but I posted in CCC every day . The points I made about why posters do what they do are ones new posters made. Your topic just rubbed me the wrong way that day. Again I am sorry for hurting your feelings and wanted to say to say so publicly.

sahobbs
Clownfish
Clownfish
618 Posts

[Post New]by sahobbs on Sep 29, 14 1:21 PM
While looking for a Post "Would Just like to know Which Country you are From!" I ran across this old post. I too have noticed a lot of posts of the same subject matter since June 2014 and yes these are from new players. Some have been answered while some are still sitting out there in limbo. I've also noticed that some of these players are no longer with us, in the forum and the game. So if we don't help these players now, they too will leave us.
After reading some of the posts that my friends have made, I too was thinking strongly of leave ART forever and BFGames but they helped me change my mind. I'd be like some of these in this post, to turn a blind eye to new players that need help.
I'm still not a Happy Camper yet, nor a Happy Parrotfish, and I'll still use my right for freedom of speech, in writing and orally as it is my given right as a American! and A Veteran

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Sep 29, 14 4:16 PM
I think most of those posts are from newer players.
Unfortunately, for some reason (at least for me!) the "Search All Forums: function doesn't work very well. I have started threads and then searched for phrases that I know were in them with no luck.
So I think it's kind of hard for newer players to find all the info they need. If someone asks for info on the paintings, I think it's easier to repeat what's already out there than to ignore them. (If I were answering, I would try to reference any easy links, of course.)
If the search function worked better, I'd have a lot more frustration...but just looking at the sheer number and pages of posts is very daunting, especially for a newer player who needs information "now".
Just my two cents...

sahobbs
Clownfish
Clownfish
618 Posts

[Post New]by sahobbs on Sep 29, 14 4:53 PM
You hit the nail on the head ekstra, I too found that the Search all Forums "Advanced Forum Search" doesn't work. I've tried it many times looking for certain posts and unless it's locked at one of the Posts on pg1 of this forum then you won't find it. I looked through every page in this forum for a post that was just on pg1 yesterday, then when I found it, someone put a post that had nothing to do with What Country you're From. I'm keeping track of all my friends that are active in the game and forum. I wanted to keep where they're from with other information I have kept on them. I still have friends that haven't put their info there because they're new to the game. So I have to message each of them to get the same info that could be in the post. If I was a new player and wanted to post something about myself I'd be starting a new post without full knowledge of what's in the forum. I'd be overwhelmed of what I'd have to go through just to get help.

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Sep 29, 14 6:49 PM
Really? Given the whole tone of this thread - it would have been better left where it was.

Now that is out of context what is being missed is that this thread was started in the middle of playing a new update so there were multiple threads being made when there were other threads right next to it about the same topic.

Edited on 09/29/2014 at 6:52:49 PM PST

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Sep 29, 14 6:57 PM
OddlyEnuh wrote:Really? Given the whole tone of this thread - it would have been better left where it was.

Now that is out of context what is being missed is that this thread was started in the middle of playing a new update so there were multiple threads being made when there were other threads right next to it about the same topic.

Agreed! But, like you said remember when this forum was buzzing with excitement and new posts constantly.. see what we've been reduced too? Dredging up old news just to keep us entertained

mpendo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,477 Posts

[Post New]by mpendo on Sep 29, 14 7:55 PM

We all have equal access to the forum to read or to post. It's sometimes IS difficult to find an answer to ones question in old posts, especially for newbies. These are the folks we particularly want to reach out to. I have found most seasoned players to be more than kind in their responses to questions that may have been answered in the past.

I have been guilty of asking what you might consider a 'stupid question'. There is 'no such thing as a stupid question...'

Kindness rules.

1506ebony
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by 1506ebony on Sep 29, 14 8:29 PM
hmmm...there are 88 pages on this particular forum. Very daunting to go through to look for your answer. I have used the advanced forum search...if there are more than a few threads that pop up, it can be very confusing to go through.

Try to remember back when you were new to the forums. The newbies will get the hang of it after awhile

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Sep 29, 14 9:06 PM
1506ebony wrote:hmmm...there are 88 pages on this particular forum. Very daunting to go through to look for your answer. I have used the advanced forum search...if there are more than a few threads that pop up, it can be very confusing to go through.

Try to remember back when you were new to the forums. The newbies will get the hang of it after awhile

Ebony, this thread is a few months old. And does not really reflect the true nature of those on this forum.

I think most who've played for any length of time would agree that we all love to help.. new and experienced players all need help at some point.

Our last update was a good reflection of this.. we were ALL in the same boat trying to figure out the paintings and really came together as a community to figure it out.

Not sure why we dredged this one back up.. but rest assured, it's not the way things are here for the most part.

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Sep 29, 14 10:12 PM
Dirk_Tee wrote:How to find an answer to your question in the forum if you don't want to read it all:

In the right column here you have a box "Search All Forums"
Underneath the search box it says "Advanced Forum Search"; click that
Type your keywords in the "Search for:" box
At "Search in:" select "Antique Road Trip: American Dreamin'" from the drop down list
Click the big "Search" button

ummmm you still have to read when you do that.

pamkatz
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by pamkatz on Sep 29, 14 10:35 PM
Scoutmander wrote:Completely off topic....but Go Big Orange!

What is big orange? =v=

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Sep 29, 14 10:39 PM
pamkatz wrote:
Scoutmander wrote:Completely off topic....but Go Big Orange!

What is big orange? =v=

A big juicy orange (fresh fruit)?

JB4510
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by JB4510 on Sep 30, 14 5:48 AM
Dirk_Tee wrote:How to find an answer to your question in the forum if you don't want to read it all:

At "Search in:" select "Antique Road Trip: American Dreamin'" from the drop down list

I do use this search function quite often, though I am curious as to if it is just me that finds it rather annoying that there isn't a default search for the forum one is currently in at the time. It is rather tedious to have to select the forum over and over again when I change my search criteria, but perhaps I'm not doing it correctly?

sahobbs
Clownfish
Clownfish
618 Posts

[Post New]by sahobbs on Oct 3, 14 11:11 AM
jbmf_06 wrote:

ummmm you still have to read when you do that.

You rock girlfriend!!
This is what I was saying about multiple same subject posts in this forum. I know what it's like to look for something, can't fine it, and having to use the same subject to get an answer. So I don't want someone who has over a thousand posts under their belt telling me I shouldn't of brought this to the front of the forum. I don't want to put it on my "Favorites bar" , I have more important things to put there, i.e., GEICO, Facebook, DIRECTV, Schwan's, Big Fish Games, and my Outlook.

Go to: