A Note to Devs

FlWrestle
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:A Note to Devs

[Post New]by FlWrestle on Jun 24, 14 1:08 PM
The caterpillar is most definitely an inch worm, but an inch worm is a type of caterpillar so I've got no problem with that one.
The "fleur de lis" being called a lily is a bad error.
Other labels I find irritating are:
Fiddle bow (or violin bow) being called "fiddle stick". A fiddle stick is something entirely different.
Building blocks being called "cubes". I guess technically they are cubes, but no one would EVER call them that.
The "oyster" is most definitely NOT an oyster. It is a mussel.
Why is the paper crane "origami" and the paper boat called a paper boat?
The evergreen "cone" in the chapel is a deliberately confusing moniker. When I see "cone" by itself, I look for the geometric shape, or an ice cream cone (without the ice cream).

FlWrestle
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by FlWrestle on Jun 24, 14 1:15 PM
Oh, yes. The panpipes being called a pipe is pretty bad too. And a "fife" is a transverse whistle. What is called a fife should properly be called a "fipple flute" but "whistle" or "penny whistle" would be better than "fife" or "flute".

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 24, 14 8:36 PM
What I am surprised about is that EG has used the correct word "Pine cone" in the earlier HOS, so why change it now in the later ones, and only call it "Cone". There shouldn't be any inconsistencies in that respect.

I only know "Fife" as a county in Scotland. LOL But when you look at a picture of a fife flute, it's very nearly the same as the one in the HOS.

However, the "pipe" should definitely have been called "Pan pipe". After all, EG calls a smoking pipe a "smoking pipe".

Edited to say that I was wrong abuot the use of the word "smoking". EG call it a "Tobacco" pipe, which I wouldn't have called it.

BTW, there are many objects that are called differently in different countries. For example, the Eggplant is called Aubergine in the UK.

Edited on 06/25/2014 at 7:10:01 PM PST

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Jun 25, 14 1:29 PM
Valdy wrote:What I am surprised about is that EG has used the correct word "Pine cone" in the earlier HOS, so why change it now in the later ones, and only call it "Cone". There shouldn't be any inconsistencies in that respect.

I had to use a hint the first time in the new HOs when I couldn't find the funnel shaped cone I thought they were asking me to find. And now I have to remember to look for a skinny pine cone instead of the plumper kind that we see in older HOs. argh

playerpop
Herring
Herring
306 Posts

[Post New]by playerpop on Jun 25, 14 2:34 PM
Valdy wrote:Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to all you MC addicts...

Being you are so all knowing are you a member of the BF team? I do hope not.

kahlan11
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
466 Posts

[Post New]by kahlan11 on Jun 25, 14 3:48 PM
I agree with you Bedazzles on the names of items. It takes a minute to register what the item is according to what I know it as and found out even in other BF games some items are called different names. As mentioned we come from many areas of the world and I have to smile at how the name of a "cone" for instance is actually a "pinecone" not a "traffic cone" like someone else mentioned. I for one will just go with the flow and can figure out what the item is even if I have to click around to find it. I certainly won't get my shirt in a knot because an item isn't familiar, just enjoying the game!

LadyK_1943
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by LadyK_1943 on Jun 25, 14 5:45 PM
Amerzone wrote:I am going to disagree on the caterpillar. I was an avid bug collector as a child. This looks a lot like some of the inch worms we would find on trees. The centipedes that we have here are dark brown with three times as many legs.

The fleur de lis should be changed as you mentioned.

Also not sure why they changed the name of the shuttlecock. That's what it is. I'm a golfer so a birdie is one under par for me, lol.

I would have called the diadem a tiara, not a crown.

LadyK_1943
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by LadyK_1943 on Jun 25, 14 5:49 PM
I agree with all of these: Should be Tiara, Shuttlecock, Fluer de leis(sp?) and inch worm.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 25, 14 7:16 PM
playerpop wrote:
Valdy wrote:Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to all you MC addicts...

Being you are so all knowing are you a member of the BF team? I do hope not.

You do realise that there are people out there who actually have a brain and use it? I find it quite insulting that you think that just because I know some things I have to be a member of BF rather than having a brain and using it.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jun 25, 14 7:54 PM
People might be confused the first couple of times they play the HOG scene.
Considering we have to play these HOG scenes hundreds of times over, I doubt anyone is confused as to what is required after 10 or so...

I am curious why they changed them though. The only item changed that stood out for me was the casket vs box..

changing them is a bit of fun, keeps us on our toes

[Post New]by llaurelwreath on Jun 25, 14 8:44 PM
guppies56 wrote:The Overgrown Pond, "Pipe" I was hitting away at the waste pipe convinced there was a glitch, then thought it must be a smaller "waste pipe" or "copper piping" I then thought there must be another "flute like pipe/fife" never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the "Pan Pipes" to be a pipe.
I have never heard of "Pan Pipes" being called anything but "Pan Pipes" so it's your guess how long it took me to complete that HOS the first time round.

Also "Clothes Pin" it's just a plain and simple "Peg"

I've never called the spring loaded clothes pins anything but a clothes pin. The pins that are shaped out of a single piece of wood are called clothes pins as well as "pegs".

[Post New]by Java_Woman on Jun 26, 14 9:25 PM
Bedazzles wrote:I know some of the items have odd names for some of us...but we need to remember this is a Global game and what is odd to someone makes perfect sense to someone in a different country, region, or area. There is always the hint button, or globes(which highlights all items in list) to figure it out the first time...once you figure it out the 1st time it should not be an issue...imo I know the first time I had the Casket in the Antique Shop I was looking for what here in the US one would be buried in...then I used the hint button...found out it was the little blue/white covered dish...which now they have changed to box...

I guess I do not find this an issue...cause I kinda look at it as a way to learn new things...and realize that all around this great world we live in people refer to certain common items by different names...and we shouldn't try to make this game 100% Americanized. Again this is my opinion..based on the players from all over the world, we just need to be a bit more accepting of odd names for items and go with the flow...perhaps a fun thread would be "What do you call it in your part of the World"

Edited to add: There are over 180,000 different butterflies and moths which all originate from Caterpillars...just google caterpillars and you will see there are so many different shapes, sizes, and colors....so this MC Caterpillar after molting could be the most colorful blue and silver butterfly you could imagine!!!

I tend to agree with Bedazzles. I don't have a problem with this. Just about every hidden object game I've ever played will use an archaic name for an object every so often. I think they do this to keep us on our toes and I actually enjoy learning words I've never heard before. I never have a problem figuring out what it is, once I find the other objects on the list, because I can always use the hint button to locate it.

I see centipedes all the time in my garden and that doesn't look anything like a centipede. Centipedes have flattened bodies and usually have longer legs that point outward. Centipedes aren't found in plants, shrubs, or trees, but caterpillars are, like the one depicted in the HOS. Centipedes are ground dwellers so you will find them buried in soil, leaf litter and compost. I often find them in nursery plant potting soil or when I am digging in the soil and disturb them. If it had been a ground dweller it could have been a millipede.

Edited on 06/26/2014 at 10:45:52 PM PST

Go to: