shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Ballad of Rapunzel Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by shripch on Jun 27, 14 12:05 PM
I too, found this game so boring I just couldn't continue! Too many "pretty" things to pick up and place. Every scene was so loaded with "pretty" I became overloaded with a sugar high I thought I might gain weight! Enough! Done! Kaput! Out of here!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: Ballad of Rapunzel Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 28, 14 8:33 AM
Dreadful game!

I have all of the others but did not finish the last one, mainly because the graphics are grainy, the magnifying glass never disappears, even after you have completed an area. I like to know when I'm finished.

I have just downloaded the first game to see why I liked the series in the first place.

Please devs, finish areas off properly

Vera0205
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Vera0205 on Jun 30, 14 12:01 AM
Thanks, Blue Tea Games and Big Fish, for consistently fun and visually beautiful games. One request I have of the series: Would you please add the ability to mute the voices while keeping the rest of the sound?

Many people enjoy voiceovers, but I often find them distracting. I'd usually rather imagine the voices, like you do while reading a book. At least, I'd like the option of whether to listen to them or not, while still enjoying the rest of the sound effects.

Do you know how a really well-cast voice actor can add to the story? When the voice matches what you'd expect/imagine of the character? When it doesn't, it's jarring to hear it. In a way, it breaks the spell of the story. But, what one person finds grating, another doesn't. That's why it's always nice to have the option of adjusting the voice volume separate from the other sound effects.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jul 1, 14 6:38 PM
I have not played a HOG in a long time, and I'm glad I purchased this one, even though I missed the sale But even so, this game has some of the most gorgeous graphics I've seen in a long time, and one of the reasons I purchased it, besides the fact that I've always loved the Rapunzel story, though this game is not the original story.

The game installed easily and throughout play, ran very smoothly... no glitches. The mini games and HOG piles were not hard at all, and I played on hard level, while not skipping anything. Despite not being a challenging game, all the mini's were still enjoyable to play, and the HOG piles of junk... so pretty!

I also enjoyed the background music.

You also get a lot of play for your dollars, and now that I've completed the main game, I'm off to enjoy the Bonus one.

Edited on 07/01/2014 at 6:39:38 PM PST

[Post New]by longstockinggirl on Jul 4, 14 6:04 AM
BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

Thanks to difficulty choice, recommended for all levels of gamer experience.

Having played all Dark Parable games except Jack, I can say the Ballad of Rapunzel is another stellar addition to the series. Blue Tea creates backstory and continuity rarely found in the casual game market, and could teach some "serious" RPG games how to create world lore well. The story's depth makes this game a worthy investment for fans of the series and newcomers alike.

Blue Tea makes no apologies for producing "pretty" games, nor should they. Rapunzel is visually stunning - the artwork fits the story and her character, much like the artwork was tailored for Frog Prince and for Sisters.

POSSIBLE SPOILER:
While I personally consider it a spoiler to disclose that there are multiple endings (thus a choice the PC must make), this fact has been discussed elsewhere in the forum. So I will say the endings are different enough to make that choice significant. However, the critique that one must play through the game multiple times only to make one different choice in the ending is legitimate. The effort for actual choice in the game should be applauded, but without the option to create a user-defined save point, playing the exact same game until the point of choice can get tedious.

I played on the hardest mode with HO sparkles turned off. For me, this makes what otherwise would be ridiculously simple game more challenging. The Dark Parables series are not the most challenging - even on the "expert mode". For me, the in-depth story and the beauty more than make up for a lack of difficulty. I do NOT want the ability to skip puzzles or rush to the end without having to think, so for me the hard difficulty setting (no map, no hint, no skip, no sparkles) made the game better.

Normally, I do not like FROGS, or really even HOGs. 98% of them are too easy, too boring, lack significant storyline, and defy logic with item use and puzzles. Rapunzel did none of these things. Item use is logical, the FROG scenes so pretty it is easy to get lost - there were times of real difficulty! -, and the puzzles were logical but not too complex.

I'm a fast, experienced gamer. My first playthrough (on hardest level) took over 6 hours for just the main game. For a casual game, that is an excellent length. I took my time, looking for all collectibles.

To date, this is my favorite (casual) game of 2014.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Jul 5, 14 2:42 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

While the game was good, it was definitely short, both in chapters and the content on each chapter. Normally the DP are a bit longer than this, heck, the very first one was almost 13 chapters, but it has been slowly been reducing for some time. The installments may be a hit or miss. I say that this time it was a case of having a very short story that for some reason they couldn't expand more for a longer game. It wasn't bad, just very short for the DP series.

Now as far as the game itself is concerned, I think that the developers are either beginning to lose the plot, or whoemever did the story forgot a few details. During the game, it's revealed that Snow White (a.k.a. the Snow Queen) was born as such in the Swiss Alps. Yet this is contradictory to what had been established in "Rise of the Snow Queen", where it was clearly specified that Snow White wasn't born as the Snow Queen, but rather became one after the illness of her son. It's sort of a minor point, but it does bug me a bit because the series has been consistent as far as the story is concerned.

Second, and this sort of puzzled me. Why wasn't there any mention throughout the game of who Belladonna really was? Unless I mistook the objects in her tower, and the nearby garden, it was pretty obvious that she was the real "Alice" from "Alice in Wonderland". The setup was there, but for some reason was completely ignored. And given that the next game has to do with a mermaid, it's even more strange, because in the previous installments, everything that was in the game was linked to the main story, or another fairy tale.

The extras are the usual, but the bonus chapter has been the shortest I have played for a game, either in the series, or for other CE. Sort of like a small addendum, instead of a true bonus chapter.

Would I recommend buying it? Sure, if there was a good sale on CE's. Otherwise, you're better off buying the SE. The length of the game, and especially the Bonus Chapter are not really worth the extra money.

[Post New]by kazooie2628 on Jul 11, 14 12:58 PM
Dark Parables is one of those series where you either love it or you don't and Ballad of Rapunzel continues that tradition. While I admit the FROGs were particularly hard in this game (partly because of the lighting/shimmering quality of the scenes and partly because the items you look for can really blend in with the environment), I still prefer them to the tedious regular HOGs (at least in a FROG, I don't ask myself "why am I looking for 12 items when I only need one?"). Still, if that's not your style, then I'd advise a different series.
I honestly don't know why people are complaining about Rapunzel's singing. It's not going to win any awards, but it's not awful. That being said, I think some of the voice acting (and facial/lip animations) could've used work (particularly Gwyn's voice, Belladonna's voice, and Thumbelina's voice). The musical score is also very nice and the haunting singing in the background of the FROG scenes is, in my opinion, a nice touch.
Now...about the plot...I'm not really sure where I stand there. For a game focused on Rapunzel, we get one pop-up note reference to her long hair...and that's it. Instead, the Devs chose to focus on the flowery healing aspects in the Rapunzel tale. We see some familiar faces, as well as some new characters, but all in all, after so many games, the plot does feel a little...well, repetitive. I think that's why BlueTea added the three different endings (though only one of them is the "good" ending and that one requires finding twenty flower-stones in various scenes, sort of like the parable notes or the morphing objects). Still, for those of you who like to see all the endings, the lack of a "checkpoint" means you'd need to play the game a total of 3 times to get all the endings.
The achievement system was first introduced in Cursery Tales: The Crooked Man and, for the most part, they're easy to get. Most of them simply require you to complete mini-game puzzles without skipping and solving FROGs without hints. This can be harder on some players than on others. However, unlike Cursery tales, I have yet to find an in-game purpose for these achievements (in Cursery, finding all the achievements gives you a hint about the next game in the series), so until someone says otherwise, they're simply a cosmetic incentive to play the game more than once.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jul 13, 14 4:33 PM
I am a HUGE FAN of BTG'S, just LOVE EVERYTHING they put into their games, especially the BLING, the game play, FH0 scenes, collecting flowers, parables, and morphing objects, the extra details, puzzle design/fun to do, the animation and cutscenes, and having the parables to listen to, once completed !!
When I purchase games, I must say, BT has everything I am looking for, for a fun, entertaining experience, THEY NEVER have let me down LOVE me some Blue Tea ..no complaints, from this fishie .
I am really into BLING, eye candy, and DETAILS, nobody IMHO does details better than BT, their games for me are simply BEAUTIFUL to look at, an adventure to play, I just get lost in the game totally, while playing, OMG..when that GOLEM came after me, it was one of those WOW..moments, SO COOL, there were quit a few of those, which is another reason, I LOVE their games, for me they have the WOW factor .
TOP QUALITY...is a word that sums up this team, the story's, the artistry, design, game mechanics, puzzles and last but not least, their IMAGINATIONS when creating their games, always a SURPRISE with magical moments throughout, the entire playing experience.
Each one of their games has brought me such DELIGHT, and with the harsh reality's of life, they have been a breath of fresh air, for this , which for me is priceless.
THANK YOU Blue Tea, keep making these games, I'll be the first to buy, because I truly LOVE, your games, and think your team are so talented !!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jul 31, 14 4:05 PM
Second review, different mood. The first time I tried this game, I thought it was horrible, then I gave it a second chance and my whole opinion changed. Can't explain that, but it turned out to be a very good game and I'm glad I tried it a second time. Yes, it is "pretty", but I grew to like that. And that whole series of games go together! Plus, there's a delightful sound that pops up in the HOS that is so pleasant to the ears I look forward to it. It was the BOGO CE sale that got me to buy it, and I'm glad I did!

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on Sep 2, 14 7:17 PM
As usual another beautiful game by Blue Tea. I think this was one of the best of the series; the artwork, music, and animations all top notch. I highly recommend it.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Nov 30, 14 2:12 PM
I just completed " Dark Parables: Ballad of Rapunzel Collector's Edition " and fully enjoyed it.

I nearly didn't buy the CE until I read the magic words FROG and Morphing I love these ?

This was full of colorful clear graphics, easy music in background and some objects I really had to look for and also some of the 'fragmented' objects were well hidden but findable. The storyline was okay and I played slowly just enjoying it. The mini-games were not too easy or too hard and even though the map was not a 'jump map' it worked okay when used with the 'hint' button.

If you like sweetstuff you won't gain too much weight playing this, just a little Plus I have a total of 8 Dark Parables, whew

&1/2 out of 5 -[no jump map]

Edited on 11/30/2014 at 2:16:02 PM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 10, 15 5:04 PM
I loved this game even with the mix up on the doors with the moss remover. I love all blue tea games.

[Post New]by Nebride on Apr 2, 15 5:44 PM
Absolutely love the Dark Parable series. This one was quite fun.

Go to: