stibitz
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

Re:Nasty Mean Quests - where are the drops

[Post New]by stibitz on Jul 9, 14 11:11 AM
If I were a developer and making new quests, I would look for something that would be challenging. If it's not challenging enough, players will complete quests quickly and start demanding more. It would just about have to be collecting rare items because everyone is hoarding non-rare items out of fear they'll be needed later. (Typical socio-economic practice) Supply and demand doesn't apply to just the Auction. Are we hoisting ourselves with our own petard, so to speak?

Just playing devil's advocate ...

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Jul 9, 14 11:13 AM
I did see on the BZ site (can't remember if it was the forum or facebook) and they stated that they were going to address the drop rates during the next update.

So maybe, just maybe they hear us.. maybe. We'll have to wait and see on this one.
Hopefully, they won't think 15 visits as opposed to 20 is more reasonable.

I'm expecting drop rates of 3 or less.. just in case you're reading this BF & BZ--

AND Take a hint from ART and their drop rates.. those every player could deal with.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 9, 14 12:01 PM
ChestnutHeights wrote:
AND Take a hint from ART and their drop rates.. those every player could deal with.

Do you think maybe we should all quit AK and go to ART? I hear it is also has the feel of a better developed game. And I also know that the reason we are no longer seeing many familiar names here in forum anymore is because they have gone to ART...either as new players, or players who came here from ART and now have decided to go back.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 9, 14 12:39 PM
stibitz wrote:If I were a developer and making new quests, I would look for something that would be challenging. If it's not challenging enough, players will complete quests quickly and start demanding more. It would just about have to be collecting rare items because everyone is hoarding non-rare items out of fear they'll be needed later. (Typical socio-economic practice) Supply and demand doesn't apply to just the Auction. Are we hoisting ourselves with our own petard, so to speak?

Just playing devil's advocate ...

Stibitz, you seem like a wise and rational person. You are right, these past few updates have turned many into frenzied hoarders in fear of what will be asked for next, so that they will have plenty in stock before it is requested (which is how some complete the quests so quickly). But, I will tell you that some of us are capable of setting and completing our own goals WITHOUT quests. If a quest is nothing more than a gimme this, gimme that, I'd just as soon play my own game. My goals are pretty simple. Relax and enjoy my favorite map scenes. Play a few minis, earn some bolgins doing so. The only quests that make any sense to me anymore, are the ones that have a tangible end result, such as the Shrine. In fact, they could have done that for the Pegacorn. Quests, where at the end, you achieved your new pet as a reward. They can keep their ham...

ekstra2000
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,357 Posts

[Post New]by ekstra2000 on Jul 9, 14 12:54 PM
I'm with NoFishToday. I play four of these FTP games, and for each I essentially go into the game, play out my energy, and leave. (For Midnight Castle, I explore each location and leave.)
I'm not in any hurry anymore to finish quests in any of the games (except Agency 33, which I just started, so I'm trying to advance asap). I know that the updates are few and far between, and so I just take my time and play for fun.
And when I'm done, I jump into one of the many other BFG items that I own outright, and play a game with a beginning and an end.
Just my two cents. I tried ART, and just didn't care much for it. I was unhappy at first with the whole "decorate the castle" thing here, but I have to say I've enjoyed changing it around to suit my mood now that all the items are available. So my best advice is to play for fun. It's a game after all, not an occupation.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 9, 14 1:15 PM
ekstra2000 wrote: I tried ART, and just didn't care much for it.

I agree. However, the passionate and caring post by the lead developer of ART on the BZ forum, and copied here in another thread makes me want to rethink it and give the game another try. Now THAT is a person who takes pride in their work, and honestly cares what the players think...

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Jul 9, 14 1:50 PM
Do you think maybe we should all quit AK and go to ART? I hear it is also has the feel of a better developed game. And I also know that the reason we are no longer seeing many familiar names here in forum anymore is because they have gone to ART...either as new players, or players who came here from ART and now have decided to go back

I started playing AK first. I had played Awakenings Series. Had never heard of a FTP game before. When they 1st released AK it was great.

The quests were achievable and plentiful. The story line compelling. The levels didn't require huge amounts of energy (think of Forgotten Glenn at only 36 to play). The hardest part was waiting for your energy to refill and finding the blogins to upgrade.

I purchased gems to buy food to continue my play. Back then, you hit achievements a lot faster and got a pretty good stream of gems from the game itself.

I like the fantasy genre more.. because I liked AK so much in the beginning, I decided to give the other Boom Zap game a chance-- ART.

It is very similar to Awakenings in game play. To me, the biggest difference was the more realistic nature of ART.

Over time, to be honest, since there's been a lot of down time in between updates.. it's difficult to follow any storyline anyway. So, I no longer paid attention to what the characters were doing.. it just became about completing the quests & achievements.

Now, I think ART completely blows AK away.

They seem FAR more responsive to their players (see the note that Daisy shared.). They hold events where you can gain gold (ART's version of gems), the items needed are easily attainable, they've introduced items that reduce your refill time.. I went from 5 min/1energy to 3min/1 energy

ART has recently added a quest that was super fun in finding collections and putting them together.. which led to riddles.. which told you what cities to locate an item in..

I've had a hard time even opening AK lately. After all the issues with drop rates, obtaining gems etc.. I find myself not really wanting to visit any of the scenes.. I'm SICK of them. And these new issues have me on the brink.

I've gone from playing every day to playing only every 3-4 days after my energy has refilled.. a sad end to a good game.

so, YES give ART a try! Hope to see you over there! I may return to normal game play here if they ever fix the issues. For now, I only check in to see if there's any progress in fixing.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 9, 14 3:10 PM
ChestnutHeights wrote:
I've had a hard time even opening AK lately. After all the issues with drop rates, obtaining gems etc.. I find myself not really wanting to visit any of the scenes.. I'm SICK of them. And these new issues have me on the brink.

I've gone from playing every day to playing only every 3-4 days after my energy has refilled.. a sad end to a good game.

So, YES give ART a try! Hope to see you over there! I may return to normal game play here if they ever fix the issues. For now, I only check in to see if there's any progress in fixing.

I could have written the first two paragraphs myself they are so much the way I am feeling and behaving. But, I am very sad about it, which is why I have become so passionate here in this forum and in BZ forum. I want my game back and am trying so hard to do whatever I can to get it fixed, and not just for me, for the many who once loved it. It wasn't a good game....it was a GREAT game. I just cannot figure out why they are so determined to drive it to ruin.

Downloading ART now...

IKacey
Clownfish
Clownfish
735 Posts

[Post New]by IKacey on Jul 9, 14 11:21 PM
Seppi 19 and No Fish Today I have to totally agree. The worse thing about the game now is the horrible almost non existent drop rates. They kill all the enjoyment of the game by making it too boring and stressful to play for long. I for one am not spending more because I have a limited income and because mostly, and I can't stress this enough to BFG I am not enjoying the game now and I don't want to spend my money on it at all. The main reason I stay and this may be true of many other players as well, is the social side. You can actually msg back and forth to friends as you play. Unfortunately these days what we mostly message about is how awful a time we are having finding the items to complete the quest. I made it to the fourth trophy at Aileah Tor finding only 2 Skycrystal blades and never the 3rd so I ended up forced to part with 10 crystals to finally get beyond that quest as new ones wouldn't open until it was done. Thats about a blade every 15 or so trips and thats just a totally outrageous drop rate. Whoever is responsible for the drop rates shame on you for not caring about the quality of the playing experience of what was once such a fun and lovely game to play.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 10, 14 12:53 AM
IKacey wrote:Seppi 19 and No Fish Today I have to totally agree. The worse thing about the game now is the horrible almost non existent drop rates. They kill all the enjoyment of the game by making it too boring and stressful to play for long. I for one am not spending more because I have a limited income and because mostly, and I can't stress this enough to BFG I am not enjoying the game now and I don't want to spend my money on it at all. The main reason I stay and this may be true of many other players as well, is the social side. You can actually msg back and forth to friends as you play. Unfortunately these days what we mostly message about is how awful a time we are having finding the items to complete the quest. I made it to the fourth trophy at Aileah Tor finding only 2 Skycrystal blades and never the 3rd so I ended up forced to part with 10 crystals to finally get beyond that quest as new ones wouldn't open until it was done. Thats about a blade every 15 or so trips and thats just a totally outrageous drop rate. Whoever is responsible for the drop rates shame on you for not caring about the quality of the playing experience of what was once such a fun and lovely game to play.

DITTO!

nancc919
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by nancc919 on Jul 10, 14 1:48 AM
I don't post in this forum very often, but I have been quietly playing AK for some time and was within a day of reaching level 75 when the latest update blew that possibility out of the water. I started playing ART a couple of months ago when the frustration level began to get too high on AK. I like the graphics and the story line and even some of the HOS on AK better, but it is not worth the angst. Now I log in daily just to get the daily reward and then go to ART and play for enjoyment. I would sure like to have the functionality of the old AK back, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen any time soon.

chipper23
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by chipper23 on Jul 10, 14 10:49 AM
bettymil4216 wrote:I have played the same scene 52 times and still don't have enough feathers to finish the quest. Enough is Enough. DONE and GONE!!!!!
Yikes!!...I have just played the scene for the "feather" 10 times and I received one feather...I need 12 feathers.. at this rate along with the "flowers" in coral grove ..It will be weeks before this quest is completed...Very frustrating..

Edited on 07/10/2014 at 10:51:52 AM PST

CindyDean
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by CindyDean on Jul 10, 14 2:09 PM
I am keeping track of my visits to get a unicorn feather. I started with 6 when the quest poped up. In 26 visits, I have received 4 feathers. I now have 10 feathers, so 2 more feathers to go.

chipper23 wrote:Yikes!!...I have just played the scene for the "feather" 10 times and I received one feather...I need 12 feathers.. at this rate along with the "flowers" in coral grove ..It will be weeks before this quest is completed...Very frustrating..

Edited on 07/10/2014 at 2:10:22 PM PST

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Jul 10, 14 5:58 PM
What is ART? Also I gave up on the unicorn feathers for now, to stressful and I am not getting any when I play.

NoFishToday
Salmon
Salmon
2,712 Posts

[Post New]by NoFishToday on Jul 10, 14 6:08 PM
BoomZap is the developer of two FTP games. Awakening Kingdoms, and Antique Road Trip American Dreamin'. Both are here on BigFish.

pkdream5
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by pkdream5 on Jul 12, 14 7:00 AM
I'm L48 & it took me awhile to get the tea & feathers but not as long as some of you talking about. I also used crystals, 6 I think, & bought last feather. If you go to the collections & find the item you need & click on it you will see how many crystals it takes to buy one. I have done this before & its only taken 4 or 6 crystals. Also, I do go to the bank to buy crystals off & on. When you get the last goblin for the door it opens to a room where you have to find the orbs for the shrine & then the shrine will give you energy boost for 3 hours. Also, there's a door with a MISSING emblem that leads to a zoo. Right now I had to level up to 48 & now not quests except to level up to 49. This is discouraging but will see what happens but won't play as long as Druid Hut & Aileah Tor give you the most stars & also use the most energy.

CindyDean
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by CindyDean on Jul 12, 14 9:10 AM
23 visits and no new unicorn feather.

CindyDean wrote:I am keeping track of my visits to get a unicorn feather. I started with 6 when the quest poped up. In 26 visits, I have received 4 feathers. I now have 10 feathers, so 2 more feathers to go.

[Post New]by jeanieweanie on Jul 12, 14 10:41 AM
"The grass is not always greener on the other side. Be careful what you wish for. Better the evil you know than you don't know. You can't please all the people all the time." and other similar platitudes.I play AK and ART I like them both and have never payed to play. ART has its' share of glitches and player complaints (the "terrible daily auction quests"), waiting for new quests, lost gold etc.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jul 13, 14 8:27 AM
I agree with jeanieweanie. I play both games (have for a long time) and enjoy them. But they both have their problems. The only real money I've spent in either game is $0.79 US when the pegacorn was first offered.

A big part of ART is the auction. I've never really gotten into them. Some people love them though and constantly buy and sell things.

As far as F2P games go I think Boomzap is much more responsive to their players than are other developers. They want to get this right and they do try. This type of game seems to have many more problems that need fixing than your games that we buy and own.

If you have a pegacorn do you use it to get the rarer items? Some people have found this effective.

It's not so much the drop rates that I hate; it's getting 2 or 3 quests in a row that want 10 or so of the same thing! Boomzap IS aware of how we feel about the drop rates and does try to tweak them. Bottom line though: These games cost DEVs a lot of money and they have to find some way to fund them.

Zevah4
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by Zevah4 on Jul 13, 14 12:38 PM
Respectfully snipped by me
lilyr wrote:

If you have a pegacorn do you use it to get the rarer items? Some people have found this effective.

How do you use the pegacorn to help with the rare items? I don't understand?

I played Gnome Village 26 times before I got a feather once. Major waste, in my opinion. I did eventually get the feathers I needed and it's not Christmas yet, so I guess it worked out.

Edited on 07/13/2014 at 12:39:28 PM PST

Go to: