Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nightfall: An Edgar Allan Poe Mystery

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 30, 14 1:24 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:Finally, a FTP game I like! What a nice surprise to find this game! I played and played and played and never spent a cent of "real money." I have been to the office, the prison, the police office, somewhere like a cafe... oh, I forget... I played a long time and did so much!

I am not sure what Valdy means by "abnormal things happening in the HOS," as mine had no strange events!

Twinsoniclab... sorry, I only just saw this little bit in between your post. I am sure that by now you know what I was trying to say with the "abnormal things": tornadoes, rain, night-time, etc.
I am terrible when it comes to explaining something.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Aug 5, 14 10:30 AM
Valdy wrote:
twinsoniclab wrote:Finally, a FTP game I like! What a nice surprise to find this game! I played and played and played and never spent a cent of "real money." I have been to the office, the prison, the police office, somewhere like a cafe... oh, I forget... I played a long time and did so much!

I am not sure what Valdy means by "abnormal things happening in the HOS," as mine had no strange events!

Twinsoniclab... sorry, I only just saw this little bit in between your post. I am sure that by now you know what I was trying to say with the "abnormal things": tornadoes, rain, night-time, etc.
I am terrible when it comes to explaining something.

OK, now I know what you meant! I thought odd characters or strange things popped up! That would have been fun. Yes, the events that are supposed to make the HOS harder... I have yet to buy my way out, and only once ran out of time with the tornado. There was a scrambled letters HOS once, never saw another. Then one other "abnormal" that I have actually forgotten! Even though we revisit locations, I still have fun. It isn't the same items each time, and even when it is, they items are moved. So, I have a hard time finding some of them, and have my least favorite locations! The rope in the hotel is always hard for me to find.

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Aug 6, 14 5:04 PM
I'm sure all of these points will have been made before this, but needed to chime in.

First, this game has nothing to do with Murders In The Rue Morgue. Second, the entire game is one HO scene after another. No actual "detective work" or brain needed. Just keep going back to the same scene time after time and find the same objects time after time; they are just in different locations. I don't know when you ever get to go to another room or space in the location, because at level 25 you are still in all the same ones.

Second, "Free" game? Yeah, I don't think so. I did buy the "starter kit" for $2.00. I ran out of gold and crystals at level 20. The energy aspect eats up all of those assets. Literally. 500 gold coins for a freaking croissant? Anyhoo, I ended up buying enough gold and crystals to buy a collector's edition game and they were gone by level 25.

That's it for me....my first free to play and my last. I hope that any more Poe games are in the regular format after this as I've always enjoyed them before.

dk413
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
469 Posts

[Post New]by dk413 on Aug 7, 14 7:58 AM
I really like this game but the store prices are outrageous,especially for things like hints which are free or easily earned in most other games and for energy. While I realize it costs to develop these games,so occasionally I will buy crystals to contribute I want to get more for the money I spend. Until I get more bang for my buck I won't be buying anything.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 7, 14 11:40 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:So, I have a hard time finding some of them, and have my least favorite locations! The rope in the hotel is always hard for me to find.

Oh, I just mentioned this in another thread about the rope. When it's at the left-hand side, I see it just fine, but try as I might, I just can't detect it when it's at the right. The colour blends in so well with the background, it's just terrible. And it doesn't help that it's just a long straight stick of a rope instead one that actually looks like a rope - the way they look in the other HOS. Fiendish...

--- --- ---

ETA: An updated version has come out !!

Edited on 08/08/2014 at 7:48:35 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 15, 14 10:27 PM
Haven't actually played this type of game yet, but it seems to me it can get quite expensive! Love Dupin and love the mystery games, but, not willng to spend one more penny than I have to. Bring him back to the "regular" game play - please!!!

feenix

papa_pahs
Minnow
Minnow
289 Posts

[Post New]by papa_pahs on Aug 18, 14 7:40 AM
I'm on day three, level 12, and so far, so good

The bits of trivia are interesting, the animated map is amusing, the HO scenes have just enough difficulty to be engaging without being frustrating.

Energy accumulates very slooooowly, but it DOES accumulate for free, so it is quite possible to play this game as a true FTP as long as you only play for less than an hour, twice a day.

For me to feel inspired to pay real coin to play, I would need the hints to be easier to obtain (perhaps having hints that recharge over time?) and a greater probability of winning objects for HO scene rewards instead of the usual gold. The objects are needed to advance in the game, and they are awarded sparingly.

All in all, a great casual game to play occasionally, but costly if one is looking for a game to play for hours at a time.

Edited on 08/18/2014 at 7:43:19 AM PST

Meter Importance

[Post New]by DawneMc on Aug 31, 14 12:57 PM
OK I've scanned the reviews and posts and no one has said a word about the meter in the HOS on the Left side of the screen. It has a level from 0-7 and grows the faster you find objects together. What's it for ??
And why does the time used counter keep going after you've found all the HO's?

emerance
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Love the game - but the gears are driving me nuts!

[Post New]by emerance on Sep 2, 14 5:12 PM
OK - I love this game. It's standard HOS, but you're solving murders and have a lot of interaction with various people. I love the escaped convicts, mummies, zombies - fun to find!

But the one thing that is driving me nuts is the gears you see every time you finish a HOS. They're all going in the same direction! Can somebody please please ask the programmers to fix that? It's driving me nuts!!

Great fun!

_candy
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by _candy on Sep 7, 14 4:25 AM
OK, that is it for me. I am on level 46 and now they want 50,000 gold for my expired detective license. I don't think so. I have spent enough money on this game just to play for longer than 5 - 10 minutes at a time. Time for the delete button.

Edited on 09/07/2014 at 4:25:32 AM PST

[Post New]by Ekaterina1232 on Sep 12, 14 9:08 AM
Ok, I'm nearly the end of the game and I think it's time for my review.

First the good things:
This game is addictive. It is absolutely repetitive and for the whole game you just have to complete the same 15-20 HO scenes again and again and again. Yet I still play it. And I look forward the time I come back home to play my daily 10-15 minutes to it. Quite an anti-stress more than a game.
The graphics is good enough and, ok, as usually in your games I love Dupin.
The interviews are great. I loved to know things about 18th-19th century France.

And now the bad aspects. I'm writing them so you may try to change them a little.
1) The price. Of course you can play it for free, but if you want to buy a decent amount of gold or cristals, to be able to play more then 15-20 minutes a day before your energy expires, you have to spend at lest $25. Consider that on Bigfish you can easily find most collector edition at half that price, and once you buy them you can play them without time limit!

2) The Starter Pack. A good pack with usuful items at good price. The problem is that you can only get them at the very beginning of the game (I was offered it after 10 minutes of playing), when you probably have no idea of how those items can be useful yet. And by the time you understand and wants to buy it, the offer is gone.

3) The chests. In the shop you can use cristals to buy "mystery chests" that gives you a pack of useful but unknown items. The problem is that the items are Always mixed. For instance I would have gladly bought a few but I didn't because half of the items would have been hints for the HO scenes, and I don't use hints at all.
Some "themed" chests would be very useful

4) The detective licence renewal. Really, 50000 money? Are you kidding?
I read on this forum that sometimes on level 40 you are asked to pay that impossible sum to renew you licence, so around level 35 I completely stopped spending money. That means that I had to stop taking interviews (one of the things I liked more in the game) and spending money to buy croissants when in need. And still I miss more then 10000 gold to arrive at 50000.
If I hadn't read of it in time I would have probably arrived at this point with almost no money and would have been obliged to spend more than $25 to buy them to continue playing. Or simplier I would have cancelled the game. Probably the second.
You should REALLY reduce that sum. 10000-15000 would be much better.

Edited on 09/12/2014 at 9:16:21 AM PST

[Post New]by Ekaterina1232 on Sep 12, 14 9:14 AM
Sorry to post again, but I wasn't able to complete my review in the previous post.

5) Collections. The chance of finding collection items and to complete a collection a second / third time (veeery useful to being able to put together that impossible 50000 money sum) is too imbalanced. Of some items I found 14-15 (!!) while of other (the ones needed to complete a collection) none, even if I played the correct location dozens of time.
Please try to balance these chances more. Or let people sell non used items.

So Tired of Compare Mode.

[Post New]by archielamb on Oct 15, 14 3:09 PM
I was so happy with this game until the last update. Since then, almost every scene I've played has been compare mode. I don't remember the last time I saw words or silhouettes. So boring and tedious. If the next update doesn't bring back the other types of HO scenes, I'll probably stop playing.

HHSan
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by HHSan on Oct 18, 14 4:47 AM
I'm with you Archilamb!!

When I started playing, it was a nice mix and that included weather conditions.

After the update, it seems every location goes into the same bad weather mode all at the same time....so when I play fog, it's fog all the way round. They need to balance this.

Not only that, BUT they've overdone the split scenes. I am playing about 95% split scenes....very tedious. I actually leave the game with most of my engergy in tact because I can't bare another boring "find the difference" in fog and night

They should just call this game what it has turned out to be "Spot the Difference" FTP game.

I can honestly say, if I had just started to play this game, I would have quit within the first 5 chapters because compare mode is not my cup of tea.

I still have quests but I am not enjoying the game anymore so I just check in and get my daily reward. I have my detective's license, so I will put this game to bed until the next update and see what they do with it. If it stays the same, it will be deleted like some of the other FTP games that have turned sour.

Edited on 10/18/2014 at 4:54:25 AM PST

dk413
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
469 Posts

[Post New]by dk413 on Oct 18, 14 1:24 PM
I enjoyed the game until the last update. With almost every HOS in compare mode with weather it is no longer fun. Compare mode with night or fog is near impossible and I refuse to spend my coins to get rid of them. Until this goes back to the way it was I have stopped playing.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 9, 14 10:41 PM
I am about ready to stop playing due to all the Spot the Difference scenes and all the fog in the scenes, and needing to have so much gold to get the detective license.

just4meme
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by just4meme on Nov 22, 14 9:25 AM
I like this game!!!! But don't like the fact that in every HOS you have to drive away negative effects in order to play. So far there is only one negative effect that is most annoying is the fog. By the time you have driven away all the negative effects you're out of energy. Other than that, I like the game!!!!!!

redgames
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by redgames on Dec 26, 14 6:34 PM
This game is very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I am missing ONE item in a collection, I go to the building and play for that item. I only get items that I have four, ten, or even FORTY of. The game won't give me what I need!!!!!!!!!!!!
When do I get to see other parts of Paris?????// I am on level 54

redgames
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by redgames on Jan 6, 15 7:50 PM
This game becomes very boring.!!!!!!!!!!!! I need ONE piece to finish a collection and I know where that piece is; but it WON'T give it to me.

I am level 56 and no new places have been added. The Riverport, Hotel, etc are locked and I can't play new hidden games!!!!!! I just went through EVERY place and the "Lost Gendarme note" is NOT in any of them. That is all I need to finish that collection. What intrigued me about this game is the different places of Paris and I can't open them!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by One_of_Two_here on Jan 27, 15 12:21 PM
I *love* this game! Seriously, I do. I'm not a big gamer or anything, but I like it a lot & play a bit every day. I think the artwork is fun, not over the top nor trite. I think the story line is clever enough, with the characters each having their own foibles. The out of storyline with the madmen, warewolves and zombies are just enough to add a sideline of fun out of the box. Here's to ERS

Go to: