Re:Reviews for Build-a-lot World

[Post New]by nayhomey on Aug 16, 14 6:56 AM
This is simply Big Fish does Facebook. Won't be playing this dud of a game. Don't know if this was BF's idea or Hipsoft, but clearly trying to carve into the "buy stuff in game" format over on Facebooger. No thanks!

Edited on 08/16/2014 at 6:58:00 AM PST

nic2200
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by nic2200 on Aug 16, 14 10:58 AM
I actually like FTP games and I do play several of them regularly.

This one is not good though. After the 3rd level the timer runs down so fast I'm struggling to even finish let alone get three stars on any level. I suppose you have to buy some of those in-game upgrades to make it playable? They are really expensive though. I saw a workshop and it was $19.99. You have to pay to get a building defaulted for each level (you can still build them with resources in game) and they are all $20 a piece. That is pretty nuts.

I do spend money on these games, but I like to play it first to see what it's all about before I do. This one is a no go for me. I'm not going to pay $20 for one building when I don't even fully understand what the options are.

I deleted the game off of my computer already.

[Post New]by lesloggerooney on Aug 16, 14 11:42 AM
ElizabethR1533 wrote:BF, we know you're reading this (as you always pounce on people immediately if they say anything stronger than the word poo).

Any chance of feedback from the comments made?

If I swear in my next post, will that grab your attention?

Yes - it would be good to get a response.

Wehelo
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Wehelo on Aug 16, 14 12:42 PM
I love build a lot games and all building games. I thought, finely getting away from Hidden object games, but you have made almost impossible to finish a level because their is just not enough time.

I would love to see more strategy free to play games, but not as difficult to play as Build a lot world.

midnyter5555
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by midnyter5555 on Aug 16, 14 1:27 PM
also bfg tends to abandon ftp games afetr a while,,,,was playing World mosiacs chroma,, hasnt been a new level since april,,,,so why would i invest in a new game,,,,not knowing if its just going to be a few levels then ignored

JhnJcb wrote:About all I have to say is "I agree with everything that the people before me have posted."

I have hated the FTP concept since it first started coming out on iOS and Android initially. I'd rather pay my money upfront and get full access to a game than get nickel-and-dimed to death. This is now the second franchise I have purchased in the past that I will no longer be following due to this recent FTP trend. So much for my 6 years as a loyal customer of BFG.

[Post New]by iabide on Aug 16, 14 7:16 PM
I agree with many other reviewers: I love the Build a lot games and have several. They're my favorite games to play. But I'm going to uninstall this game right now due to the pricing structure.

Hint to Big Fish and Build a lot-Stick with what''s worked in the past!

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Aug 17, 14 1:40 AM
For whatever reason, it doesn't look like Big Fish Staff are going to respond to all this feedback.

That's not only disappointing, it also gives the strong impression they don't care. They already made their decision to sponsor this game, so just leave this feedback alone - it will go away after awhile.

That's really too bad, Big Fish Staff. I thought you were more responsive to and caring about your customers.

jogc
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by jogc on Aug 17, 14 4:53 AM
Zuix wrote:
If 100 people buy a game @$6.99 each, that's $699.99.

If only 10 people out of 100 spend $100 each on a FTP game, while the rest go away in disgust, that's $1000.00.

In a nutshell.

Midnyter5555 wrote:
... tends to abandon ftp games after a while, so why would i invest in a new game, not knowing if it's just going to be a few levels, then ignored.

In a seashell.

You 2 nailed it.

Edited on 08/17/2014 at 5:06:03 AM PST

[Post New]by xerrabaldy on Aug 17, 14 5:12 AM
I own every one of the build-a-lot games to date. And this one with flip could have been great. But this F2P business is disgusting. Some kid's going to whack up daddy's credit card with this.

Even as a free game with an unlock cost of £6.99 to unlock the 7 buildings would have been ok but, to charge £70.00 for the lot is way too much.

To add to this it's blatantly obvious that the timer degrade speed has been radically boosted to encourage micro-transactions such as refills to drain more money out of customers which is, frankly, disgusting way to treat customers.

I am seriously not impressed. Hipsoft have taken a dive in my estimation as well for conspiring to put this together. I know everyone needs to scrape a living but it's not like the series has been selling badly as complete games bearing in mind they are in double-figures in the series now.

Not going to carry on with this game any longer. It's the bin for this one

[Post New]by misssjb31 on Aug 17, 14 7:55 AM
I logged on to see if there were any new games I fancied trying.
Being a big fan of BAL I was chuffed to see a new game.

Until I realised what the deal was with it, and read all the reviews on here regarding having to use real money to buy essentials such as the sawmill.

I'm not even going to try this one.

What a HUGE disappointment.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Aug 17, 14 11:23 AM
Hey Everyone,

I really want to apologize for any apparent delay in getting a response to you. We do appreciate the feedback you give on the pricing of items in the game, as well as mechanics in the game. We are forwarding this to the devs, and this will be taken into consideration for future updates.

In regards to other games that haven't had any recent content updates, we release new content as the devs provide it to us. If new content is unavailable to us, we're unable to release it. We'll continue to support our games, and we continue to push for new content.

I hope this information helps, but if there are any other questions, or any concerns, please feel free to PM one of the Mods.

bfgVaiya

Carolg01
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by Carolg01 on Aug 17, 14 1:32 PM
I am also a little frustrated that I posted a review on this game several days ago, and the review counter is still at 20... And that was from about a week ago. I am still playing Awakening Kingdoms, but only because I found a way around the need to continually spend real $$ on this. I played this one, like others until the 3rd level, and when I went to see what I needed to do, I freaked (well, not literally, but pretty close) to see the $$ needed to win - or even continue.

Big Fish - Please listen to us. You have had a wonderful model here. I probably own around 120 of your games. You have always been fair to me. When one of my games disappears, you make it right. I appreciate that. But, honestly, the FTP has got to change. I really don't want to drop my membership and find another group. But please understand that I will if this keeps up.

Carol

zuix
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by zuix on Aug 17, 14 8:54 PM
bfgVaiya wrote:Hey Everyone,

We do appreciate the feedback you give on the pricing of items in the game, as well as mechanics in the game. We are forwarding this to the devs, and this will be taken into consideration for future updates.

bfgVaiya

I'm sorry Vaiya but your response doesn't address the heartburn expressed in this thread to date At All. A bland, non-responsive response is worse than no response at all.

Edited on 08/17/2014 at 8:58:31 PM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Aug 18, 14 3:13 AM
ADDENDUM TO MY ABOVE REVIEW

I feel I must retract my rather harsh review above, which was made when I did not realise that there is indeed a way to play this game without spending real money, provided you have the required patience.

So, I hold my hands up and admit I was wrong. The game does not force you into buying the partnerships. You can indeed build the workshop on Level 7 without having to buy it first.

My apologies, therefore, to H*ipsoft and BFG.

Having said that, I still feel the timer is way too fast. Replaying a level costs you energy and, once depleted, takes a long time to recharge. I also do still think that $70 for all partnerships is too high. I would still buy this game at an SG price (or even a CE price) if the partnerships were 'all in' at around $20.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Aug 19, 14 5:49 AM
I like this series but Im late to game meaning I have yet to buy one as I just found them within the last month. So seeing there is a F2P one, I was excited because maybe, I didn't need to buy all the other ones. Starting out I thought, hey this is a good one because it was just like the original game but now I am not all that happy with this and will probably delete it. I do not like how if you do not beat the level in the time allotted, you have to redo it. IF I want to get the 3 stars, I would rather replay it instead of being told I can't go any further and have to replay it right then and there which takes energy. Also unless you can get the express help at the beginning, I find its extremely hard to get anywhere close to beating it in time either but in order to always do express you have to pay...Id rather pay one price like for the Build A Lot games and have the whole game instead of this one where you can't advance. Please change this! In Fairway F2P, you need X amount of stars before you can advance to the next stage but you are able to move to the next level until you get to the stage change to get the 3 stars. I really would rather have it that way because then I can go back and try my hardest, not be stopped in the middle with a "oh sorry, you didn't beat it in time". Sometimes you just need to practice or try different options not be penalized and have to spend more energy which is very limited in this game anyways. Such a shame.

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Aug 19, 14 7:33 AM
Carolg01 wrote:I am also a little frustrated that I posted a review on this game several days ago, and the review counter is still at 20... And that was from about a week ago. I am still playing Awakening Kingdoms, but only because I found a way around the need to continually spend real $$ on this. I played this one, like others until the 3rd level, and when I went to see what I needed to do, I freaked (well, not literally, but pretty close) to see the $$ needed to win - or even continue.

Big Fish - Please listen to us. You have had a wonderful model here. I probably own around 120 of your games. You have always been fair to me. When one of my games disappears, you make it right. I appreciate that. But, honestly, the FTP has got to change. I really don't want to drop my membership and find another group. But please understand that I will if this keeps up.

Carol

Agreed, great way to piss off your long-standing core membership*.

zuix wrote:
bfgVaiya wrote:Hey Everyone,

We do appreciate the feedback you give on the pricing of items in the game, as well as mechanics in the game. We are forwarding this to the devs, and this will be taken into consideration for future updates.

bfgVaiya

I'm sorry Vaiya but your response doesn't address the heartburn expressed in this thread to date At All. A bland, non-responsive response is worse than no response at all.

Agreed!!!

*Waiting for the BF police to immediately pounce on post. Won't be a delay on that!
(Apologies for the immaturity).

Edited on 08/19/2014 at 7:33:51 AM PST

[Post New]by cedarpond on Aug 19, 14 12:54 PM
lesloggerooney wrote:
mtvoyager wrote:I've always loved Build-a-Lot games and was very happy to see this one come up, but I refuse to even demo a game that is set up to extort money from you with the lie that it's a free game. I guess that's the end of me ever playing Build-a-Lot again. I'm very disappointed with Big Fish for even allowing this.

I totally agree. So disappointed.

This is beyond ridiculous. I have played all of the Build a lot games as well, but this one goes back on the "free" shelf. From what I can see it will cost you more to play this game than a wii game. I am frankly insulted. What a scam. Beware this game.

[Post New]by wendyannelark on Aug 19, 14 1:50 PM
OK I have now finished.Enjoyed it, despite there not being new house or scenario designs from previous build-a-lot games), but it cost me an absolute fortune. Will certainly not replay at extra cost.

Three game design issues:

Issues 1 & 2

Levels 65 and 73 - the gnome does not appear until after you have completed the level (either in or out of 3 stars)

Issue 3.

Cannot get world points on Level 44 - if you have 5 tree lots (to achieve world points) you cannot possibly achieve 100 appeal on the remaining lots. I would love someone to prove me wrong on these issues 1-3)

Issue 4
When replaying a level (to achieve world points) on which you previously got 3 stars, you don't have to worry about time,as your 3 stars remain while you achieve the outstanding goal). This is sub-standard.

These design issues are pretty appalling because the game should have been thoroughly tested pre-release.

Clearly I won't replay (usually half the fun when you buy a game as you always try to improve times etc.) - thus my review is the game was disappointing

[Post New]by isis1967 on Aug 19, 14 4:17 PM

Re eviews for Build-a-lot World

[Post New]by zuix on Aug 12, 14 8:00 PM
I am extremely disappointed, if not downright disgusted that Build A Lot has turned out a "free to play" game for PC, and that Big Fish is sponsoring it.

I pay my $6.99 a month membership fee, and have all the Build-A-Lot games to date; I am a huge fan of the game. Now, I'm supposed to fork over $20.00 of real money for a workshop? That is beyond ridiculous.

If Big Fish wants to expand to the iPhone/iPad or Android market, I will excuse the free to play games offered for those platforms, because that seems to be the only format that hits the market for those platforms.

But, Free to Play for PC games? For people who pay $6.99 per game (as a general rule) anyway? Come off it.

Dissssapppppointing!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more after being a member of BF for years! FB games and charges have arrived :-(

jen505
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jen505 on Aug 22, 14 1:20 PM
I think I will be writing in defense of this game. All I have read are negative reviews.

I am on Level 30 or so and I have spent less than $2.00, which is less than I would spend for any other time management games. I have played every other Build-a-Lot.

These levels have required me to play them over and over to get all 3 goals (gnome, world points, and 3 stars). Each reply is only 5 points, instead of 10 for new levels. When I'm not playing, I leave it open and it recharges to 100 points before I play again. I have spent $0.99 twice to recharge but, since I figured out leaving the computer on, I haven't spent a time.

You can play basically for free, with no helpers. It's more challenging that way, anyway. At least up to the point that I have played, three stars are possible, sometimes with some work and planning. But, I like the challenge of replaying levels. I understand not everyone likes that.

Also, I haven't been able to get world points and 3 stars at the same time. I usually go for world points first then replay to work on 3 stars.

The gnomes are sometimes "triggered" by a goal. You will sometimes see it pop up right as your game ends. If that happens, try completing one goal first then another. ONE of those is the trigger and it will pop up.

So . . . try playing free or almost free. Hasn't been a problem for me.

Go to: