Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ominous Objects: Family Portrait Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Jul 17, 14 1:39 PM
Just a usual game as in the usual story & graphics.

Characters have some body movement, more of a writhing, but no mouth moment.

VO are ok but, as others have noted, border on the melodramatic.

HOS/Mini-games are quite interactive & a notch above the usual!!

Some reviewers have complained about the "cutesy" cat but I LOVE Mr. Jenkins & think he is realistically drawn.

Not a challenging or intellect stimulating game but fun to play nevertheless.

Give the demo a whirl & see if you agree.

myshania
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ominous Objects: Family Portrait Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by myshania on Jul 17, 14 3:05 PM
I Think this is one of the better games Ive played in a long time!!! Maybe its because there are no Tech problems. But im really enjoying it!! Thought I should just say so because it seems Ive complained alot lately!! LOL

[Post New]by mimicampdesert on Jul 17, 14 4:17 PM
!!!!!!!!Applause!!!!!
Ominous Objects: Family Portrait Collector's Edition is my new favorite! I do not give out 5 stars for every game I review. If I give 5 stars, I mean it. This is the first time I have ever bought a game after only 10 minutes of the demo. I am so impressed by this game! The puzzles are absolutely fantastic!! They were challenging and I don't want to skip them even if it takes me an hour!! I don't want to miss a second. HOG are different and fun. Graphics and music well done. I liked the plot, and although it is a not a new one, I feel it was very thought out. I have been so disappointed with the releases lately, I have been buying last years games. I try not to buy CE's anymore, but I could not wait. This one was right up my alley, and with the HUGE DEAL I was able to purchase it at an SE price. Made my day! Thank you BF !!! Thank you Daily Magic!!!!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 17, 14 4:51 PM
How could anyone not like Mr Jenkins!?!

The artwork in this is very good, with unexpected animation when you move your cursor over a book or curtain and the depictions of animals are probably the best I've ever seen. Mr Jenkins moves, looks and sounds like a real (and very beautiful) long hair Siamese and his "playroom" is not in the least 'cutesy' since it's also very realistically drawn and he interacts with the items the way a real cat would. None of the tasks he performs for you are unrealistic either. I'm not sure where the animosity toward this character is coming from, he's delightful.

I really like the hidden object scenes, they're very interactive and require some thought to see what goes where.

The voice acting isn't bad at all, it's just that some of the comments are delivered in an odd way given some of the situations. I'm not sure if they were going for ironic but I found some of the comments mildly amusing.

A very attractive and well made game that I'm enjoying quite a bit. And let me repeat, it's not in the least cutesy unless you think realistic looking animated cats are too precious for your tastes. I personally love Mr Jenkins.

[Post New]by CathyCatfish on Jul 17, 14 7:36 PM
snapnhiss wrote:How could anyone not like Mr Jenkins!?!
<snip>
And let me repeat, it's not in the least cutesy unless you think realistic looking animated cats are too precious for your tastes. I personally love Mr Jenkins.

how could anyone NOT be tired of precious pet helpers?!?

another no buy for me... i'm beyond tired of animal helpers and collecting coins to buy stuff for them. yes, it's just too "precious" for me.
i have a real cat and we buy her food and kitty litter... she ignores toys and hate collars.
we also have a dog, (a SWEET corgi!) so i'm not immune to REAL "precious" animals. love them, in fact!

but, not in my games! i've even grown tired of poor little elf from mystery trackers!
and, dev, if you're reading this... i blame ERS for going overboard and ruining it for every other dev.
some may be able to overlook the animal helper part, but i cannot.

as for this game, the VOs bugged me and i didn't find the level of difficulty that hard at all. i did like that fact that there's a puzzle to do in the HOS and the artwork is nice.
but, <sigh> the pet helper ruins it for me.

like dancemom says, we all have different tastes... and she's right!
i'm happy for those of you who love this game!

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Jul 17, 14 11:59 PM
This seems like a great game although a bit on the cutesy side. I will give it a thumbs up! I hope that nobody paid full price for it today because the CC HUGE from yesterday has been working all day! I got it for 6.99

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jul 18, 14 12:00 AM
My problem with this game has to do with the "blah" reaction the mother has to her missing children. And the slow reaction of our character, the father. Everyone is so, so slow. And the lack of facial movement! That really turns me off. No buy, even as a SE.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Jul 18, 14 12:44 AM
JayTeeLine wrote:Me too......

Woo Hoo - love it when that HUGE Sale stuff happens!!

I have yet to buy this game, BUT I AGREE...I took advantage of the great sale. Just want to add my "Thank You's"!!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jul 18, 14 4:20 AM
Must be sad to be so jaded that you can't appreciate the effort and artistry the devs put into the animal characters in this game. The horse was amazing as well.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 18, 14 8:37 AM
Well I'm appreciating everything about this game.

The hos/ mini games are quite different, clever and quite challenging and the graphics are beautiful.

The cat is very pretty and not a problem for me and neither is cutesy if its done in moderation.

I am retired and play games to past the time. If I let cutesy bother me, I would have passed up many otherwise good games.

To each his own as we do have different taste and the bottom line is pleasing ourselves.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Jul 18, 14 10:19 AM
snapnhiss wrote:How could anyone not like Mr Jenkins!?!

The artwork in this is very good, with unexpected animation when you move your cursor over a book or curtain and the depictions of animals are probably the best I've ever seen. Mr Jenkins moves, looks and sounds like a real (and very beautiful) long hair Siamese and his "playroom" is not in the least 'cutesy' since it's also very realistically drawn and he interacts with the items the way a real cat would. None of the tasks he performs for you are unrealistic either. I'm not sure where the animosity toward this character is coming from, he's delightful.

I really like the hidden object scenes, they're very interactive and require some thought to see what goes where.

The voice acting isn't bad at all, it's just that some of the comments are delivered in an odd way given some of the situations. I'm not sure if they were going for ironic but I found some of the comments mildly amusing.

A very attractive and well made game that I'm enjoying quite a bit. And let me repeat, it's not in the least cutesy unless you think realistic looking animated cats are too precious for your tastes. I personally love Mr Jenkins.

I agree with you 100%!! I LOVE Mr. Jenkins. He looks a lot like my Reuben, except Reuben has dark brown paws. Mr. Jenkins is a big reason I love the game and had to have it. I love the interactive hidden object scenes, too. Over all, the game is fantastic!!!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Jul 18, 14 11:36 AM
Family Portrait is Actually Paint By Numbers

You return home to your castle to find that your children have been taken by some sinister red-eyed being who uses paintings to release his minions of gargoyles, bats, vicious dogs and fill in the blank. It all began when one of your children pulled a book off the shelf and opened a secret room and unleashed this monster.

The story certainly makes use of the usual inhabitants of these games - missing children, scary animals, swirling black clouds, mysterious books, and things popping out of paintings. Problem is, it's all been done over and over ad nauseum. I can't see how anyone could describe this as imaginative - for one, this is the second game this week with a growling gargoyle.

The voice acting is stiff and atrocious, with no apparent thought to the context of what is being said. The characters are not very compelling, you don't know anything about them except they live in a castle. The drawing and cut scenes are fine, but we've seen similar quality dozens of times before. Similarly, the game play introduces nothing new, its just derivative of what's already been done.

If you have played 10 games in the last year, then you surely have played this one a few times. I could accept it if they had at least come up with something original in the story but alas, no.

I was hoping Family Portrait would be an original, but unfortunately its a copy.

Edited for grammar.

Edited on 07/18/2014 at 6:19:34 PM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 18, 14 12:36 PM
I played the demo and so far no bugs. The graphics are lovely and the music fits the story without being intrusive or annoying. I don't care much about the CE bling unless there is an outstanding bonus game or stand alone bonus game. I don't mind the cute helpers if the game is enjoyable. The voice overs don't fit the story and the father's comments are a bit yakkity yak and actually annoyed me. I enjoyed the gameplay and will get the SE version of the game as long as there are no bugs in that.

pgillenw
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

I am tired of silly games!

[Post New]by pgillenw on Jul 18, 14 1:28 PM
The constant voice of the father's instead of a message displayed at the top of the screen to inform when you have tried to use an object where it was impossible drove me bonkers. I ended up abandoning the game. The game really had very little redeeming qualities.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 18, 14 2:28 PM
Liked this game. It had different HOG's that I enjoyed. Graphics were good and puzzles fun. Liked the characters and will give this 4 out of 5 stars..

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Jul 18, 14 4:09 PM
Love, love, love this game.... cannot wait to play some more. Only 1 issue (not tech) - if I try to use the wrong object on something the guy keeps saying the same thing over and over and over everytime... a little annoying.

feegee
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by feegee on Jul 18, 14 9:18 PM
This is a GREAT GAME, from the HOS to the art work.....and the SE price for this CE was just beautiful! From reading the game reviews.....daily.....I really believe people forget that these are just.....GAMES. Any time I read "poor graphics" in the beginning of a review, I laugh and move onto the next one. If you want or expect characters to continually move their mouth, talk a certain way or have an emotional meltdown because of what is occurring in the GAME....seems like a break from GAMING and a well supervised stint in real life may be in order.......It's a GAME, not a cartoon feature, movie or television series, just a GAME, nothing more and nothing less.

At any rate, THANKS to all the talented DEVS that keep giving us little fishies something fun and interesting to occupy our free time!

[Post New]by mimicampdesert on Jul 18, 14 10:53 PM
I have almost completed main game and absolutely loved every minute. Too often towards the end of a game I get bored and just want it to stop. This one has my full attention. Can't wait to replay it. I love them puzzles!! I Particularly love Mr. Jenkins and the sons horse was beautiful. This is my favorite game of the year along with Fright (I hope that's ok to say here). Beautifully done. Corny character voices sure. No emotion when your wife and children are ripped away from you, sure. But I am enjoying every second of it and laughing out loud when it's supposed to be a serious situation. .

Edited on 07/18/2014 at 10:55:04 PM PST

[Post New]by mimicampdesert on Jul 18, 14 11:01 PM
Feegee-lol. I agree completely. It's supposed to be fun and entertaining. My son gets that way when he plays too much hockey on his PlayStation 3. Then we know it's time for him to take a break for a few days. He's 13 and really believes it is more important than real life. Oh and he's the best hockey player in the world but has never played a real game of ice hockey in his life. Lol.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 20, 14 8:38 AM
Just finished the demo and will be purchasing the full game as there is another good sale this weekend. I agree with the reviews about the VOs - Really bad!! But other than that, I love this game. No, the story isn't very original and that black smoke stuff and red eyes on the villian are getting kinda old, but I love the graphics and the mini-games, while easy, are still fun to do. The HOS also are not the old boring kind. Glad to see more and more Devs putting alot of creativity into the HOS. Thanks Devs!! Just one correction - a long haired Siamese is actually a Himalayan cat. I have five cats and one named "Frankie" is a Himalayan. My son named him Frankie after Frank Sinatra, cuz of his beautiful blue eyes!! Anyhoo, I'm off to do some yard work while the game downloads. Happy gaming everyone!!

feenix

Go to: