Comments

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Re:Comments

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Jul 28, 14 9:16 AM
I don't think being a lover of books, a reader, or even a writer, necessarily means we will, or should, love text based games. I am a huge fan of the written word (in print form, none of the ebooks for me!), yet find text based games boring.

Many of us here are old enough to know what you are talking about! If we didn't play them ourselves (like me), our children may have cut their computing teeth on RPG and text adventures. My son certainly did! I used to drive him and his computer (with all it's accessories, and no laptops!) to "sleep-overs" (his little sister would say, "Tim and his computer went on a sleep-over!") where he and his friends had LAN parties! Most of them are in the computer/programming industry now.

I would guess the closest thing now would be building worlds from Minecraft. My other son does incredible things.

Edited on 07/30/2014 at 10:47:31 AM PST

Melymc
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Melymc on Jul 29, 14 8:37 PM
I LOVE to read, my other favorite pastime besides games. But, I'm with twinsoniclab on this one. I don't like text games very much, too limited. Maybe I would have liked what you are talking about, but I've never heard of it. I was ecstatic when I figured out how to down load my Kindle on to my phone, and then realized my books were there . I'm not the most "tech savvy" person. But, that's why I have think I like most BFG games. You have a wide variety of difficulty. Have a good week!

Tufty57
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by Tufty57 on Aug 11, 14 11:26 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:I don't think being a lover of books, a reader, or even a writer, necessarily means we will, or should, love text based games. I am a huge fan of the written word (in print form, none of the ebooks for me!), yet find text based games boring.

Many of us here are old enough to know what you are talking about! If we didn't play them ourselves (like me), our children may have cut their computing teeth on RPG and text adventures. My son certainly did! I used to drive him and his computer (with all it's accessories, and no laptops!) to "sleep-overs" (his little sister would say, "Tim and his computer went on a sleep-over!") where he and his friends had LAN parties! Most of them are in the computer/programming industry now.

I would guess the closest thing now would be building worlds from Minecraft. My other son does incredible things.

Oh, the times I did that with my son!

Reading through this thread, it just goes to show how wonderfully diverse we all are and long may it last! Each to his/her own, says I!

firehorsecos
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by firehorsecos on Aug 13, 14 7:08 PM
nightkat wrote: Surely some team out there has some creative juices still running through its veins.

I am beginning to doubt that ANYONE out there has any creative juices left. Look at Hollywood. All they are doing are remaking the same old movies that weren't all that original 20 years ago, or making a movie out of defunct television shows. I mean come on! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Dukes of Hazard? Can SOMEONE out in Hollywood get an original idea? Please? Can someone creating games get an original idea? Please? Stop beating the same old, same old to death. There are SO many fantastic authors out there. Hollywood and game creators could do MUCH worse than to work with those authors to come up with something NEW for us. Hint, hint.

Firehorse

SoggySox
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by SoggySox on Oct 10, 14 7:41 PM
KIW0612 wrote:Just had to jump in to mention there are some of us (not sure how many) that have bought a lot more games the last few months than I have in a long time. And I've been a member since 2009. If I would by a book it would be a romance novel, not a murder mystery. When I look for games, I look for happy entertainment not the dark genre games that once dominated the industry. I was happy to see that the tides had turned. Hang in there, I'm sure it won't last forever

There were just as many complaints about the dark genre games as there are now about fantasy fairy tales, if not more. If that dictated the change, then the tides will soon change again if feedback is what influences game development.

I too, look for happy entertainment. There is enough murder and mayhem and misery in the real world without playing dark genre games. But then, that is only my opinion

Edited on 10/10/2014 at 7:44:11 PM PST

Go to: