when did scalping start

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

Re:when did scalping start

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Jul 29, 14 2:07 AM
TiramaSue wrote:Oddly - thanks for your definition. I'm curious to know what the people so adamantly opposed to the auction as it is structured now consider a scalper.

If somebody buys something for 1 coin and relists it at 10 coins. are they a scalper? How about if it is relisted at 100 coins?

Does it depend on whether the item is somewhat rare or is listing a Hagia Sophia for 3,000 coins scalping? I personally don't consider trying to sell Hagia Sophia's for that amount scalping, I consider it delusional.

Scalper is a loaded word and I don't think it should be tossed around lightly, especially if there's not a consensus as to exactly what the word means in the context of the game.

There are a lot of people who list things for more than what I'm willing to pay. I don't consider them scalpers, they just have a different idea than I do as to the value of the item they're selling.

And that's fine. I don't have to buy from them. I don't have to buy anything that I think is priced too highly, even if I have a DQ for the item.

And if others would refuse to buy things that they consider overpriced, the market will settle down and begin to reflect supply and demand. And either I will discover that I'm wrong to consider some items overpriced or the people who are trying to selling them will discover that they need to lower their prices.

Dirk - there's nothing selfish about not wanting to sell your inventory. We all get to decide what we need and what is surplus.

AGREE 100% very good

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Jul 29, 14 5:01 AM
Aint_B wrote:I try to sell thing very cheap. I really hate when NIGHTSTALKER has like 15 of the same items for sale and I auction one cheap for folks who like to play right. Then he buys my item... the same he has 15 of for sale in that auction!!!

Aint_B, I think you state exactly what the problem is; lots of people just want to share what they have and don't really want the coin from it but there are others that are playing the auction portion of the game at a different level. Not saying you are wrong in your comment "cheap for folks who like to play right" but we all must understand we all play our game the way we want to so there really is no playing the game 'right'.

Since the beginning of the DQ for auction items what I have been doing, if I can, is each day whatever my daily quest is I put up 6 to 9 of the same item. I look at the prevailing price that day and put them out - if they sell fine if they don't or well. Did anyone else notice that our favorite seller was not bidding this weekend?

CindyDean
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by CindyDean on Jul 29, 14 6:33 AM
Aint B
The same thing happens to me so I have stopped putting things out for auction. We are discussing the problem and ways to fix it in another thread. I would love to have your input at
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/289713.page

Aint_B wrote:I try to sell thing very cheap. I really hate when **** has like 15 of the same items for sale and I auction one cheap for folks who like to play right. Then he buys my item... the same he has 15 of for sale in that auction!!!

It's making the game not fun anymore. I don't understand those kind of people. What's the point? Why buy up everything and sell it like that??

CindyDean
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by CindyDean on Jul 29, 14 6:40 AM
He did on the item I had up for auction this weekend. He got it too.
I guess I had the starting price to low. It is a game in itself to put something up for auction and not feed the scalpers at the same time.

OddlyEnuh wrote: ... Did anyone else notice that our favorite seller was not bidding this weekend?

Edited on 07/29/2014 at 6:40:33 AM PST

OddlyEnuh
Stingray
Stingray
4,982 Posts

[Post New]by OddlyEnuh on Jul 29, 14 7:32 PM
CindyDean wrote:He did on the item I had up for auction this weekend. He got it too.
I guess I had the starting price to low. It is a game in itself to put something up for auction and not feed the scalpers at the same time.

OddlyEnuh wrote: ... Did anyone else notice that our favorite seller was not bidding this weekend?

Ah, It did not look like he was listing and I did not see anything that was newly listed bid on. I went and played for Great Walls and Taj Mah to put up for auctions because all out there were too high and fully expected them to be gobbled up but they just went to names I did not know.

JB4510
Guppy
Guppy
199 Posts

[Post New]by JB4510 on Jul 31, 14 5:25 AM
Is the daily auction quest the same item for everyone? I only recently returned to the game thus this is new to me. I thought it was, so I was listing multiple auctions of whatever item was on the daily quest for me at a low starting bid with a high buy-out and short time frame so that others could achieve their quest. If it is not the same for everyone, then my auctions probably don't make sense to others.

[Post New]by nautilis123 on Jul 31, 14 9:21 AM
The DQ's are picked randomly. So some do have the same quest. I do the same thing as you do and auction the DQ item for one hour and some for six hours. I would like to think that I'm helping some player. A lot of the DQ items I put up for auction are bought using the buy out price so I know it is not their quest for the day.

wulfruna
Flounder
Flounder
2,249 Posts

[Post New]by wulfruna on Jul 31, 14 9:31 AM
The auction quests are definitely random, but as there are hundreds of people playing this game, there are sure to be a few repetitions here and there. The same applied to the previous set of quests where we had to find items in mini-games - they were just random. I play with two players on different machines and have not yet had them with the same quest!

Go to: