minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by minesita on Aug 13, 14 1:57 PM
Hi ,

I'm usually don't do any review, because English is not my primary language, and I read sometimes there are people really picky with the bad grammar. (They will need to be patient with me ).

Anyways, after playing twice because I had a problem with the BC, I'm telling this is a very good game!

I'm encouraging to people having problems to access the BC, don't forget to do all the jigsaws first, after that they can access to all Extras (replay minigames) and the Bonus.

Thank you Devs and BF for a game very well done. I didn't have any glitches, and I loved the complete game.

It's not necessary to play the BC, the main game finished properly, but I suppose the SE will not have the collectibles and the morphings. The Bonus Chapter is a little short, but it's connected to the story in the main game and was a nice touch!

Happy gaming ,
M.

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Spirit of Revenge: Cursed Castle Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by sea_maid on Aug 13, 14 3:46 PM
That was quite a different game...

I have to say that IMO, they could have given the game a different title, because just going by it and the description, you would have thought it was your run-of-the-mill ghost/fantasy/ revenge story. I had beta this game a while ago, and while it seemed well made, the story seemed a bit predictable to me. But after playing the whole game (the story really takes off shortly after the demo with some twists you didn't expect), I have to say that I'm quite surprised by it. The small details, especially with the way the story unfolded (i.e. the tokens you place in the tower) did gave you the sense of uncovering the story as if you were there, as opposed to just playing a game. BTW the castle is really big, and there seemed to be endless door after door leading to another room. Nothing bad with that, but I didn't expect it. Loved the gardens, seemed to be well designed.

As far as the gameplay, good choice to use variety in the HOS, as just using a list can get boring rather quickly. The extra puzzles (i.e. the ones that you do in another room and reveal more of the story) were an especially nice touch, as they can usually just be there and not have anything to do with the main game. By including them as part of the story, you get more info, and are literally piecing together the whole story of what happened to the Flatsburys. While the twists included were not something I saw coming, the identity of the Fire Knight was a bit obvious from the start, but otherwise, the story was very interesting.

The extras are the usual wallpapers, music, art. I did love the soundtrack, because while it was a bit repetitive at times, it had a sound that was both modern and medieval. There were many rooms in the castle that could have been used for the wallpapers, but that's just me.

All in all, a very enjoyable game. After a loong time, we finally have a good game to play.

Edited on 08/13/2014 at 3:47:56 PM PST

jagran
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by jagran on Aug 14, 14 7:08 AM
Another Brit with a gripe! 'The Lord' and 'Lord' are words used for God and not for landed gentry! At one point Lord Flatsbury is called 'Sir' somebody - equally wrong. Irritating and not necessary, even if non Brits are writing the script! All that's needed is a bit of homework.

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Aug 15, 14 1:56 AM
1 of 3:
I played the hour-long trial and didn’t make a whole lot of progress. In communicating with other reviewers, I’m learning that many do not use the tutorial offered and often skip past HOS after identifying a few objects. Conversely, I play a game as though I am under no time constraints. This, along with my naturally SLOW game, may account for my lack of progress. Immediately upon completing the trial I let the moths fly and purchased the game outright and without hesitation. I completed the game over three days with maybe 12 total hours of play. As I said, I’m slow but this is about four hours longer than was necessary including the basic game and the bonus included as part of the CE “bling” (a phrase which I attribute to my friend “JusttheFacts” who, by the way, can be reliably counted on to give fair and very accurate reviews).

I have offered a game-site review that is being considered for publication now. I awarded 5 stars across the board in the categories but gave an overall score of 4 out 5. This was purely punitive. I consider this game among the best I have played. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. The fun factor is off the charts. So there's no mystery about it. YES, I highly recommend it and urge you to buy it. Not everything is perfect…far from it. The positives, however, so far outweigh the negatives that I admit I am having a hard time controlling my excitement.

So, why did I award a score of only 4/5, overall? As has been reported, there was a glitch, and I encountered it about a third of the way through. At this point I realized that I could no longer use the hint button. I also became very aware that I was moving around the entire game board searching for an item without which further progress was impossible. I reloaded often, hoping to fix the problem. Finally, I created a new screen name as well, thus starting from scratch. This accounts for my comment that I played about 4 hours longer than was necessary. I raced through the scenes I had already played and was able to resume where the progress was stopped very quickly. It’s my understanding that this glitch has been repaired but I’m not sure of that. I don’t recall a “fixit” download, so I’m not sure I’ve reliably reported an end to the glitch. I can reliably report this: : I liked the game so much that even if I knew of the glitch I'd spend the money now.
To be continued...

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Aug 15, 14 1:59 AM
2/3
The visual/sound quality is superior. Characters and objects are well drawn. There's nothing fuzzy or unclear. The developers use the entire color palette to perfection, adding to the ambience that is, at times, creepy and at other times, sad. The visuals pop off the screen. Hidden Object Scenes are so well presented they are among the best I recall playing. To me the items were extremely difficult to nail down. They blend so well as to be nearly invisible at times.

What you hear is quite good as well: the voice acting is more than adequate. There aren’t many characters so if the few there are sucked it up, they would hurt the overall production value. They didn’t. This sounded like acting to me. There is lip-synching…if that’s what you’d want to call it. Again, I’m amazed this hasn’t been perfected yet.

Finally, the real high point of the sounds is the orchestration. There are several genres of music, with jazz and classical dominating. They were perfectly chosen to match the mood of the scenes. Spirit of Revenge has the best musical accompaniment I have heard since Cadenza…and the principal site for that game was a French Quarter Jazz Club. I’ve often said music can play an integral role in a game, not just adding to, but at times creating the ambience. This game is an excellent example of my proposition.

The Level of Challenge in the HOS is masterful. To the excellent drawings of HOS objects you may add the wellspring of variety. The HOS certainly earn bonus points for the game overall. If there is an alternative way of doing an HOS the developer used it. There are list finds, progressive list finds, silhouette placements, progressive silhouette placements...there's probably another format of an HOS, or fragmented HOS, I'm forgetting. If it can possibly be done it is. There are many HOS. This is not something I’d usually enjoy. This game is different. I’d have gladly taken on a few more. As it is, I’m guessing there were around 30+ HOS. You know how a game feels really over-HOS’d? As though it’s one right after another? Despite the many HOS in this game I never felt weary of the HOS, which are well-placed and contribute to the story. This is not, primarily a game of HOS held loosely together with a flimsy story line. It’s just the opposite.

To Be Continued...

Edited on 08/15/2014 at 2:11:47 AM PST

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Aug 15, 14 2:11 AM
3/3
Puzzles/Mini games are a different story and, sadly, not at all challenging. I didn't notice anything new...not even a fresh, interesting take on an old idea. Still, the weakness of the puzzles is overwhelmed by the strength of the HOS. I didn’t count the puzzles. My guess is 25 +/-.

I’ve read complaints that the storyline is just another retread of haunted castle stories. Well, it may not be an original idea, exactly, but doesn't mean this isn't exceptional. Spirit of Revenge presents a fresh take on an old story, with exciting new twists and turns. I say yes, enthusiastically. This is the story of two lovers whose relationship is not approved of by one parent, leading to the demise of the star-crossed lovers…and a promise that they shall be rejoined in the after-life or their spirits will not rest…nor will the occupants of this recently acquired castle. This isn’t funny so it’s not a ROM/COM. Maybe it’s a Thrill-o-ROM-a? I’m only sure it’s very good. Spirit of Revenge is really story-centric, with many contributing HOS and Puzzles used to move the storyline ahead. I think the biscuit-maker was reading the wrong recipe to this tasty little treat.

CE BLING: The “who cares” assortment is included. The worthy, fun and useful extras are slim: 5 series of jigsaw parts ranging in number from 12 to 20. Upon completing each you can assemble the portrait and learn a little back-story. Completion of all five will unlock many more jigsaw puzzles. They are not at all challenging…but then neither is their accumulation. You will gather the pieces as a normal part of proceeding with the game. No skill is required. The total number is around 75 puzzle pieces, not the 16 reported elsewhere (that recipe was really wrong).

I found the strategy guide unhelpful. The accompanying illustrations are too small to be useful.

One surprise CE feature is a series of morphing items. Each scene has one. It is not referred to in the SG table of contents nor are their locations divulged. Finding one will add to your collection of hints. I think I ended the game with about 35 hints and I believe I used 5, maybe? So it seems there are circa 40 morphing items total.

VERDICT: SE or CE? I told you what I think. Get the game. I found the morphing items so delightful that they alone are worth the CE price. And the SE isn't available yet anyway. Do the trial. It's free. See if you can wait. I don't think you will be able to. I don't think you should!!!

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Aug 15, 14 2:26 AM
Here's my down and dirty review:
I played the entire game, start to finish.

Evil Dad rips young lovers apart.
Evil Mom? She's finally getting what she deserves. The view from on TOP the castle doesn't look so good anymore I bet!

Game Notes:
1. The first puzzle is not my favorite. (In fact the puzzles are the only real weakness).
2. One puzzle, requiring the gamer to choose the correct parts of the castle, is so mind-numbingly simple as to strike fear in the heart of the gamer that this is as good as it gets. Don't worry. It's near the beginning of the game, of course, and not close to indicative of how good this game is.

DO NOT STOP PLAYING.
Get this game. It's among the finest I've played ever and certainly the best in a long time.

[Post New]by merryplayer on Aug 21, 14 12:11 PM
liked the game very much - story line good
don't like that cannot open bonus game

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 23, 14 4:34 PM
Finished the main game and started the Bonus, but actually kinda got bored and will return to finish at a later date. However, I was NOT bored with the main game. I thought it had some new twists to the mini-games (always welcomed) and the HOS were equally diversified. I did get a kick out of the brother and sister being names Jessie and James (!!) Someone on the team a fan of the James Boys???!!! I know I am! Anyhoo, loved the game, loved the graphics, the mini-games, the dialect, the music, well you get the idea. Second game I finished today that was a pleasure.
enjoy this one!

feenix

PegBuck
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by PegBuck on Aug 29, 14 8:10 AM
This is a great game. It was hard at times but the hint button was there when I needed it. I love hard games. It has everything a gamer would want on a game. Bring more like it Big Fish!

I agree with cbtx, such a game with everything in it. Let me know of other games like this one is out there!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Aug 30, 14 2:18 PM
Absolutely AMAZING game.... loved every single aspect of this game [tho faux pas respectfully noted, Brits].

Exceptionally talented developers have created a beautiful game in every respect... the storyline was well thought out and engrossing; the music was wonderful; graphics were just SO beautiful and very well detailed* and the whole game had a depth which gave it a quality we seldom experience lately.

* oh and I loved the special effects both in HOPA/HOG as well as general scenes which were all so well done yet in a subtle way that it was waaay creepier than most games because the elements were unexpected and very appropriate to the scenes and storyline.

An absolute must have and recommendation without reservations!!

LOVE IT ~~ thank you devs & BFG... please PLEASE bring us more of these quality game productions!!!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 8, 14 7:12 AM
FORTUNATUS wrote:Absolutely AMAZING game.... loved every single aspect of this game [tho faux pas respectfully noted, Brits].

Exceptionally talented developers have created a beautiful game in every respect... the storyline was well thought out and engrossing; the music was wonderful; graphics were just SO beautiful and very well detailed* and the whole game had a depth which gave it a quality we seldom experience lately.

* oh and I loved the special effects both in HOPA/HOG as well as general scenes which were all so well done yet in a subtle way that it was waaay creepier than most games because the elements were unexpected and very appropriate to the scenes and storyline.

An absolute must have and recommendation without reservations!!

LOVE IT ~~ thank you devs & BFG... please PLEASE bring us more of these quality game productions!!!

Totally agree. As one who loves HO/HOPA games but is seriously getting tired of smoke/red eyes/unlock the gate/oil the latch stuff - nobody's fault - it's just getting very old - this game is an absolute treat.

Wigi
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Wigi on Sep 24, 14 8:39 PM
I can live with "flashlight" instead of torch, especially if later in the game you have to find a "proper torch".

But what I find hard is,

There are no swamps in the UK, bogs and moors yes, but no swamps.

Eton is pretty selective and if the son was at all prone to messing around, he wouldn't have got anywhere near the place.

Very few hereditary peers get to sit in the House of Lords nowadays.

A 13C UK castle shouldn't resemble an 18C European chateau.
We have enough of them lying around for the developers to find a decent picture or two to get a basic idea of what a castle should look like.
They were defensive buildings with massive 14 ft thick walls, moats,portcullis, arrow slit windows, towers ect,

And clothes.
A complete mess of costumes in the story bits, the father was wearing a lace cravat in the 13C, No, just no.

Apart from that, an enjoyable game but not nearly creepy/scary enough and very little depth.

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Oct 4, 14 11:01 PM
I just completed the entire game and loved it, so to keep this short and sweet I am going to try and quote :

quote=cbtx]What a relief ---- just in time!!!!

As others have already so ably explained, here is a story driven, exceptional game that definitively moves away from the goofy, the silly, and the childish entries we've been flooded with of late. It restores my faith in good, interesting casual games.

-interesting, varied HOS scenes
-puzzles that need a bit of thought
-spooky atmosphere assisted by non-intrusive music
-a story that has had some thought put into it

So, with just one game, it can be clearly shown that intelligent, adult oriented games are still possible. Very good game that gets my full support!!

End Quote

Only thing that I didn't like was the SG was not responsive and had to click endlessly to get to a page or chapter and had some difficulty getting the Bonus chapter to open, perhaps it was just me but I found that entrance to the bonus was a little confusing but I got there and enjoyed the final chap.

I liked the storyline, graphics, hint button (played middle difficulty) Unique Hidden object scenes were fun and music fit nicely. The map was a jump map and worked well, IMHO, a very enjoyable game ...So I am giving this little jewel & 3/4 out of possible 5 ...( 1/4 deducted because entry into bonus place was confusing
Thank you Developers, good job and thank you Felix for selecting a very nice game

Played on my PC. It's a 64 bit Windows 7 pro

Edited on 10/04/2014 at 11:07:53 PM PST

rdekker1
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by rdekker1 on Apr 2, 15 8:47 PM
Loved this game. It was long but not boring. Well not completely. The bonus game was a little boring. But the main game was really good.

Go to: