jfog
Clownfish
Clownfish
991 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by jfog on Aug 15, 14 7:50 AM
I’ve got a real problem with this game even though it played perfectly on my computer and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Newfoundland is at least 800 miles from American! This game should have been set in Canada using Canadian voice actors speaking Canadian English. Did the developers think we wouldn’t notice the difference? The inaccuracies and lack of reality are more than I can overlook. I much prefer games like Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden where your fiancé disappears into portal in a magic maze on your wedding day, your father announces that’s he’s a fairy and a demon turns your mother into a ferret. Now that’s a game I can play with confidence!

I can’t believe the Strategy Guide doesn’t include the solutions for the hidden object scenes although, I reluctantly admit, I’ve been doing it wrong ever since I started playing these games. When I got stuck in a HOS or got tired of playing it, I’d just use a hint. Now I know to look it up in the SG. In the future, I’ll open the SG, spend five minutes finding the right page and reading down the list rather than clicking hint and moving on with the game. I guess if I’m paying for the SG I should use it.

Big Fish does need to refine what it calls hidden object games. I would suggest some changes:

HHOPA (Heavy Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure) (Hidden object scenes every ten minutes of game play.)
LHOPA (Light Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure) (Four hidden object scenes in every hour of game play.)
NEHOPA (Non-Existent Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure) (One hidden object scene or less in every hour of game play.)

The addition abbreviations (H, L and NE) could also be used to define the puzzle and adventure components of each game. So a game with the title LHOHPNEA would be a Light Hidden Object Heavy Puzzle Non-Existent Adventure Game. That is truth in advertising!

Oh, I forgot to mention that I’m going to buy this game because I think the deputy is cute.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 15, 14 8:21 AM
jfog wrote:I’ve got a real problem with this game even though it played perfectly on my computer and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Newfoundland is at least 800 miles from American! This game should have been set in Canada using Canadian voice actors speaking Canadian English. Did the developers think we wouldn’t notice the difference? The inaccuracies and lack of reality are more than I can overlook. I much prefer games like Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden where your fiancé disappears into portal in a magic maze on your wedding day, your father announces that’s he’s a fairy and a demon turns your mother into a ferret. Now that’s a game I can play with confidence!

Lol! To be fair to myself I didn't like Sable Maze either Lol again...that was funny.

To be honest, if I had liked any other feature of this game I wouldn't have minded the silliness in the accent/story quite so much. For me it was just the last straw that made me really dislike it coming on top of a lot of other features. Can we all go back to discussing the game instead of the fine points of Newfoundland English and Viking Heritage sites? Pretty please?

Edited on 08/15/2014 at 8:33:12 AM PST

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition he

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 15, 14 12:26 PM
I am not fond of this ERS game. It just don't seem as good as other's I have played. Maybe It's the storyline? Will only give this 3 out of 5 stars..

tesamoine
Herring
Herring
387 Posts

[Post New]by tesamoine on Aug 15, 14 12:38 PM
I found this to have a ridiculous hard to follow story line. Almost seemed like the developers were trying to incorporate 2 stories into one. If it's supposed to be a spooky game, let's keep it spooky. The flippant remarks by the 2 sherrifs didn't fit into the game at all. Then there was the very simplistic game play which ERS is famous for. Not a brain cell is required for this one. I give it a generous 2 1/2 stars, but that's just my opinion and my taste in games. Also, If I were buying the game, I'd definitely wait for the SE as this CE is kind of short on extras.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 15, 14 4:44 PM
"LET KAMP" (LET'S FIGHT IN SWEDISH ) AT THE VIKINGS FOOTBALL CAMP

Please stop bickering and picking on the awesome "Vikings" or Minnesota will not allow any of you into their state. However, that may not be a bad thing, actually. I am certain none of you want the Vikings football team to chase you down! In the U.S. there are Nords all over the country. Minnesota, besides being the home of the largest ball of string and horseflies as big as planes could also be called "little Scandinavia." And it is almost the size of Sweden to boot! However, let me get into the slug fest now - I so love a Viking size battle - so let's get out those strong axes.

In 1964, President Lyndon Johnson signed a proclamation that declared October 9 to be Leif Eriksson Day in honor of the Viking explorer, his crew and the country’s Nordic-American heritage. There is still archaeological research going on at this time and some Viking relics have been found in the United States. One of these is Dighton Rock near Narragansett Bay near Rhode Island. The Newport Stone Tower in Rhode Island is also believed to have Norse origins. Rune stones have been found in Rhode Island and in various locations on the East Coast. So.... yes- the Vikings may well have hidden some plunder in the U.S. Just think - there may a group of "Goonies" out there (boy is that an old movie or what? - but I thought it dated by good) who may just stumble into a cave and find a huge Viking ship full of treasure! Hey - we need another "Goonie" movie with a Viking ship at this time, Right? We just cannot have the Cannucks taking claim to anything.

Edited on 08/15/2014 at 4:53:20 PM PST

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 15, 14 5:17 PM
You're a little late to the party...I think the Viking rah rah celebration has moved here:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/291964.page

According to its title this thread is for "REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Edition"

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Aug 15, 14 7:43 PM
Nope!! I refuse, refuse I tell you (!!) to play another game with those horrible dark circles to find things or do things or solve things. Nevermore said the raven!! I may be missing out on what is probably a very good game,but I think I said in a review of one of ERS's previous games, I will NOT aggavate myself with those horrible cirlces that you can't see what is going on and you have to click blindly. So its a pass for me, unfortunately.

feenix

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Aug 17, 14 2:11 AM
I have the same issie with the circles and have had that with some of the other games from them. Very irritating, are they suppose to be like that?
Then no buy for me.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Aug 17, 14 10:14 AM
As usual ERS did not disappoint, loved it.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 20, 14 1:00 PM
jfog wrote: I much prefer games like Sable Maze: Forbidden Garden where your fiancé disappears into portal in a magic maze on your wedding day, your father announces that’s he’s a fairy and a demon turns your mother into a ferret. Now that’s a game I can play with confidence!

please tell me I am correct that that was sarcasm.

The problem I had with this game was that on one hand the story was very, very serious - for example you wind up in a morgue with two very dead bodies. This part of the game was on an adult level. On the other hand, there is the man in a skeleton costume chasing you everywhere and a scary fairy popping up in mystical energy. These elements would appeal more to younger gamers (there is a way to do "adult scary," but a man in a skeleton costume isn't it).

So, I could never reconcile the two aspects of the game enough to want to purchase it. Also the look of the game did not appeal to me. The artwork seemed unusually blurry and the colors over saturated - even for this developer.

Edited on 08/20/2014 at 1:10:57 PM PST

jfog
Clownfish
Clownfish
991 Posts

[Post New]by jfog on Aug 20, 14 5:43 PM
steve_san wrote:
please tell me I am correct that that was sarcasm.

Yes, it was, including my horrible rating system! I just forgot to use the silly font

I bought this game just for the reasons you say you didn't. The whole thing is so ridiculous it makes me laugh. It's almost as if the devs couldn't decide which plot tropes to use - so they used them all! I've played about half of it and I haven't stopped laughing yet. Every time that goofy deputy pops up it puts me on the floor. So I am entertained and amused. I don't know if the devs did this game tongue in cheek or if they were deadly serious but I'm opting for tongue in cheek.

Edited on 08/20/2014 at 5:44:02 PM PST

[Post New]by bettybryant on Aug 22, 14 2:23 PM
I do not have a review as yet - but do have a question - I cannot find the plate in the hospital reception next to the wheel chair

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Aug 22, 14 9:39 PM
It's not obvious, but it's near the top if the wheelchair (as it's laying on it's side). You have to zoom in to see it. BTW, they call it a plate, but it's a rectangular tile piece. If it's not there, is it possible that you got this one already and missed the first plate? That one is back at the sheriff's house in the fireplace.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Aug 24, 14 8:40 PM
feenix2011 wrote:Nope!! I refuse, refuse I tell you (!!) to play another game with those horrible dark circles to find things or do things or solve things. Nevermore said the raven!! I may be missing out on what is probably a very good game,but I think I said in a review of one of ERS's previous games, I will NOT aggavate myself with those horrible cirlces that you can't see what is going on and you have to click blindly. So its a pass for me, unfortunately.

feenix

I agree... and since there is so much banter here, I won't hesitate to begin my review with that statement, lol.

Next in line to not enjoying the use of the magical circle 'thingy' I just could NOT get past the silly looking man in the skeleton costume or should that be the man in the silly looking skeleton costume, lol?....

At any rate, SORRY, no go 4 me.... darn.

Edited on 08/24/2014 at 8:56:14 PM PST

Sad it was so bad

[Post New]by Joey2825 on Aug 25, 14 4:19 PM
I will totally own my stupidity. IMHO this game is so bad I should get my money back. The ONLY time I have ever bought a game without the trial run, done on a whim and based on my prior happy experiences with the game company - so really, it was a lesson I had to pay for to really learn.

Others have commented on the story line but I no longer look for logic or even congruence. HOGs are like operas, the story line just exists as a string on which to hang the baubles; in HOGs that would be the actual HOGs and puzzles. In this case both were clunky, unimaginative and (worst sin) EASY.

Slavicdiva
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by Slavicdiva on Sep 1, 14 12:24 PM
I agree with Joey, above.

This is a "Bunny" game? I found the mechanics clumsy, from the "paranormal energy detector" thingy to the clumsy map (is it really necessary for the circles to be avoiding my cursor when I'm trying to click on them?) to the fairly stupid HO "puzzles" (stick jewelry on the statue when only some of the pieces would typically be worn where placed?).

I'm kinda glad I'm not a male gamer - I'm a woman, and I found that frustrating. I did enjoy Deputy Jones - nice to have some male eye-candy in a game.

It's as though the developers couldn't decide what kind of game they wanted to make - funny, serious, or spooky, so they threw it all together and came up with this mess, then couldn't be bothered to make the mechanics smooth. As a result, this game is more frustrating than fun.

I was left wondering if this game was made by the Bunnies' B-string or something; kinda like a "practice" game.

So - I will buy no more "Bunny" games without trying first. Time was, I bought every one of those, since they were very enjoyable. Now, not so much.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Ghosts of the Past: Bones of Meadows Town Collector's Editio

[Post New]by Jurinne on Sep 7, 14 8:07 AM
OK, this game is now offered as a SE. So which do I buy? I have read almost every review, both here and on the main game page. I'm confused about those elusive (or not, depending on who you talk to) runes- what are they for? I am well aware of ERS' tendency to have CE collectibles which don't do a damn thing. I spent a long time gathering flowers in one game until I realized it didn't gain an achievement. In fact, it didn't do ANYTHING except make a fool out of me.

At that moment I swore I would NEVER purchase an ERS CE again. And yet, here I am.

A negative: I wasn't allowed to pick up my donut in the car. I'm a cop, OK? I want my donut!

(Side note: I was also not allowed to pick up the coffee in the police station.)

A negative: Did I actually run through that lady spirit? I changed my profile and went back to check and yeah, I did. I actually ran down that lady spirit. Not good. I don't like myself very much for doing what I did. I should smack myself across the face.

A negative: The hint button did not give me the hint I needed to do something I had to do to proceed in the game. I had to go to the SG. That is bad. It turned out that I needed something I had not collected previously. Why didn't the hint button lead me to the item I needed? Shame on you, ERS!! Do I have to purchase the CE to get decent help?

A negative: Why in the world is the coroner's name used to identify a corpse on a gurney when the corpse of the coroner is sitting on the floor?

A plus: Custom mode - I love being able to get rid of sparkles and decrease the hint and skip waiting time to five seconds.

A plus: the weather. I am a sucker for rain and winter storms which is probably why I live in the Pacific Northwest. Honestly - that is one reason I moved here and away from sunny and very smoggy southern California.

A plus: the deputy is quite cute.

A plus: I play a man. OK, I'm not a man but I don't mind playing one, especially as I seem to have been playing a woman a lot. I have no problems with playing a man. Kudos to ERS for allowing me to play a man.

A plus: The comments. Most come close but don't quite click with my sense of humor, but when I read "How many Vikings does it take to open a door?" I smiled.

SE or CE? CE or SE? It all depends on those runes and that very bad hint button because there is a big sale on this weekend but I've also got some freebies. I'm going to get the game but which one?

Edited on 09/07/2014 at 9:15:50 AM PST

Go to: