Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Alice: Behind the Mirror here

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Aug 19, 14 9:30 PM
I'm partway through the game and I'm having a lot of fun.

It isn't for the HOs-haters that's for sure...there are a lot and they are very fun...challenging. I'm still not sure why people who don't like HOS download a game that is a hidden object game and then trash it because it has hidden object scenes that are a challenge.

It's all good though. This game is fun. If you like HOS don't let the haters dissuade you.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 20, 14 1:41 AM
I lasted 14 minutes of the demo.

Negatives:

The music is irritatingly bright and snappy. I had to turn it off. There is no choice of level of difficulty. There are no voiceovers. The very large hint icon constantly flashing was extremely distracting. In the only HOS I came across in my 14 minutes took about that long before I finally resorted to using hints to find the invisible frogs. One of the four brushes in the scene apparently didn't count as a brush, another was disguised as a SPOILER: chocolate bar, and none of the apples are red. I came across one puzzle, but by that time, I was too annoyed to work it and the skip button was slooooow, and that's when I decided to opt out.

Positives:

Very attractive artwork... cute and sort of Little Golden Book style, if you remember those.

One star for the artwork.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 20, 14 5:35 AM
Thank you to tufty57 for a very funny review and, sadly, one I pretty much agree with, although I do think that this game would be perfect for newish players, and it's obvious some highly experienced players liked it, but I didn't. I just lost patience. Yes, the music was repetitive and, oh, well, really repetitive. And why did I keep hearing cat sounds, really loud ones? The Cheshire Cat grins were a cute idea and the info. was actually interesting, but I didn't. Need. Them. In. The. Game. The HOP's were sort of bizarre -- very complicated in that we were, for instance, looking for a dark brown frog outline on top of a dark brown frosted cupcake. No. I'm the kind of person who gets impatient with HOP's and will often use a hint at the end. I think I used 4 hints on the first HOP, a record, and I have good eyes. And the click and drag was -- a drag. Also, no. I wanted to like the game, I've loved Lewis Carroll and Alice since childhood -- it was one of my first books, but this just didn't quite make the mark for me. When all was said and done, it was kind of simple minded in somewhat murky darkness. No buy. But again, it's obvious we're all divided on this game. And I suspect that if I didn't have a GM full of unplayed games, I might have bought it, but luckily, I don't have to torture myself with what I suspect would have become a really tedious game playing experience.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Aug 20, 14 3:43 PM
I had Beta'd this game long ago and had written in my notes to purchase right away. Which I did. Nice refreshing change from the norm. High challenge in the H0s, bright colorful graphics and no hand holding add up to a relaxing brain stretcher. I do agree the "pick & carry" with inventory is a tad tedious but that is really my only complaint. Some have mentioned the hint recharge length but I never used it so can not comment. Had a ball with this. Wish all H0 scenes could be this much fun.
I'm actually truly surprised at the negative comments.
This game is definitely a try before you buy.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 24, 14 1:17 PM
I saw the poor reviews but I wanted to like this game and I think I might have liked it if I were actually allowed to play for more than a few minutes.

I had to shut down my computer three times and was even kicked out of BF twice. The hint button stopped working (which wasn't all bad as the sparkles were so distracting that I actually covered it up at one point), the paint can puzzle had no paint cans (that was after I had completed it once) and the skip button was stuck in the middle.

And I was penalized for clicking outside of a HOS. That is pathetic. I didn't know what to do as nothing worked!

I clicked on some items that just disappeared. I clicked on the can of red paint to try to put it on the door and the can just disappeared.

When I did manage to play I discovered that a paint brush does not count as a brush.

Please demo this game before you purchase as there are some serious glitches for some of us.

And please do not be surprised at the negative reviews - at least mine. I tried to give this game a decent chance. I am well aware that we have different tastes and that is a good thing and someone might hate a game that I love. But when I am not even allowed to play the game I am not going to leave a positive review.

I am very, very, VERY disappointed.

Edited on 08/24/2014 at 3:42:16 PM PST

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Sep 4, 14 2:50 PM
I thought it was rather charming little game I liked that when you clicked the cat face you got a little story.

amj0963
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,544 Posts

[Post New]by amj0963 on Sep 8, 14 1:47 PM
i am really enjoying this game, of course i love alice and wonderland and have most of the games on her here on bfg.

i love the artwork it is really reminiscent of the disney version of alice in wonderland. hog scenes aren't too bad and some objects are a little too well hidden. also like that you visit the different characters several times and not just once.

i don't know how far i am in the game but i have been playing for a couple hours and just completed (spoiler the crown).

i wish we could get more stories like this one.

also love all the info about lewis carroll.

edited to add i don't care for the inventory that you have to hold your mouse button to use the inventory, i prefer to just be able to click on it and what you want to use it on.

Edited on 09/08/2014 at 1:49:55 PM PST

[Post New]by kd1sh2012 on Sep 11, 14 6:29 PM
I just finished playing this game. I don't know about the people who panned the game, but I found it "different". I will admit that I did have trouble with some of the seeking games and some of the puzzles--if it weren't for the helpers in the forum, I'd probably still be trying to figure out how to get the egg into the pot! I think some folks take gaming too seriously. This was a fun game to play. I wasn't chasing down witches, trolls or finding some long-lost relative. It was just a few hours of relaxation---and that's what I think the authors were trying to accomplish. Thanks for Alice! I enjoyed it warts and all!!

Review for Alice behind the mirror

[Post New]by juliem17 on Sep 19, 14 11:14 AM
A boring game clearly written and designed by lazy programmers who lack imagination. :-( Once I had started it, finishing it was seen more as a task to complete rather than a game to enjoy!

Go to: