midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Re:Labyrinths of the World: Shattered Soul Collector's Edition

[Post New]by midori2 on Sep 6, 14 7:32 AM
cbtx wrote:On the game page it says:

"Dress up your guide character in the dressing room" ----

which serves as nothing more than a warning to me.

Let me say that I am male, and I have absolutely no desire to play, demo, or support a game that involves "dressing up" any game character or any other element. And pay actual money for it? Ridiculous.

I realize that the target audience for most of the casual games is primarily females of a certain age ---- and that's perfectly fine (heck, I'm a male, and I love good casual games too) ---- but this constant bombardment of "cutesy animals", "dress up", and other features of preciousness is, IMO, some of the worst type of pandering I've ever seen ---- and I would think intelligent adults (male and female alike, of ALL ages) would recognize this, and stop supporting this "sugary sweet", "aw, shucks", "would you look at that" style of game creation and development that is sending the games down this road that leads to overly simple, poorly done games that have no real creative value, certainly no replayability, and are nothing more than a one time, fleeting divergence. Enough, already. As gamers, our wallets should be slammed shut until the devs get back to creative, fun, somewhat challenging, interesting, and memorable games. Animal helpers and dress up are diametrically opposed to those principles.

I will no longer even d/l for trial any game featuring animal helpers, dress up, or any other "cutesy" feature. (And I'll have to determine some of that from other posts, I suppose.) This old guy's wallet is permanently closed to this sort of silliness, and I honestly believe that devs that foist these games on us regard their customers as very simple folk and, frankly, I resent it.

THANK YOU, CBTX. I could not possibly agree more! I haven't purchased a game in so long, I now have 5 game credits that are sitting there gathering dust. For the record, I am female and in my 50s, and joined BF years ago because of games like Drawn. I was lured back with the last Madame Fate and from that time on, nothing but simplistic, cutesy games. Sadly, I am once again considering canceling my membership but still holding on, hoping for something that isn't, quite frankly, embarrassing to play.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 6, 14 7:42 AM
"Dying for Daylight" had a scene where you had to dress up the lead in a nurse's uniform, if I remember correctly and no one complained that the game was aimed at senile old women or simple minded children.

Try to keep an open mind and demo the game yourself.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 6, 14 8:58 AM
snapnhiss wrote:"Dying for Daylight" had a scene where you had to dress up the lead in a nurse's uniform, if I remember correctly and no one complained that the game was aimed at senile old women or simple minded children.

No one called us (we are about the same age, I may be a year older) "senile old women..." It's true that the demographics of these games are us! It's also true that many of us don't like playing dress-up. Personally, I appreciate cbtx's comments and insights. I am not a clucking groupie though, there are times we disagree!

We aren't even given the chance to see what the "boudoir" and "museum" are in this game, they're locked until after purchase. No, we don't have to dress anything up to play, but the side games of dress-up and playing with your kitten (I have two I can, and do, play with in real life) are nothing more than CE filler. The collectibles become meaningless if all we use them for are these "extras."

I demoed the game. Nice game for a beginner. But, beginners progress in their abilities, and developers seem to have forgotten that. This game is very simple. I am not sure it's easy enough for "simple minded children," but no one suggested it was! I find it silly that some players feel the need to post "tattles" about forum posts they disagree with! Maybe they should live in a cave without Internet. Then they won't get so p..... when people bug them!

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 10:16:47 AM PST

didersham
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
409 Posts

[Post New]by didersham on Sep 6, 14 9:03 AM
I also agree with CBTX, which I have stated many times! Another weekend of no buys for me. I hope the tied will turn and they are listening! I have just been going in my purchase history to play the older games I have, so I can feel challenged again! I cannot stand how they dumb down the games of once were good series and making them more child like!
I am now playing Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge.

Please developers listen to us!!

P.S. I understand that there are gamers who like these type of games, but it would be nice to also provide games for us other gamers.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Sep 6, 14 9:10 AM
NancySusan Thank you for your review. I appreciate the fact that
it was done by someone who actually played it.
I will give it a try.

I rarely put my in but I have to say, if its not one thing
being complained about, its another.

I love D & E games and I remember when the CCC was open
people complained about D & E games. Made it sound like
we were Satan worshippers.
I haven't seen a real D & E game in ages.
Thanks a lot, you complainers.
These were from people who never demoed the game and
played a different type.
So.....now you get people complaining about helpers. Ones
who won't even demo the game, but still have an opinion.

Some things just won't change.

Maybe someday the games will just stop coming.

Daxadillion
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,292 Posts

[Post New]by Daxadillion on Sep 6, 14 10:04 AM
@luvtoread

Can you let me know what a D & E game is please? It's probably obvious but I can't work it out.

I am not sure what the CCC is either.

Thanks, Dax

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 6, 14 10:30 AM
yes, D & E means Dark and Eerie, and CCC stands for Chit-Chat Corner, BFG's former general Chat forum that they closed a while ago together with their Announcement Forum and another Forum dedicated to Tech questions (don't remember the exact name).

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 11:08:17 AM PST

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 6, 14 10:33 AM
The developers will make whatever genre of game sells. So, if D&E games are hard to find, then it's because they aren't the "in" thing anymore, not because some players complained. The majority of players must have quite purchasing them, or it would still be profitable for the developers to make them, and they would make them if that were the case!

It's fair to "complain" about helpers, or any other aspect of a game, without demoing. It's not a review without a demo after all. There are elements that cause me to refuse to even demo, and I'll share why so the developers can hear (I will email them too when the issue are important to me, since they aren't always lurking around the forums!). One CAN have an opinion without demoing! I don't have to taste mushroom soup to know I won't like it. I don't have to test drive a Hummer to know I won't buy one. I don't have to demo a game if it has _____ (fill in the blank for your own personal peeves) to know I won't like it.

Dudesmum
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by Dudesmum on Sep 6, 14 10:47 AM
didersham wrote:I also agree with CBTX, which I have stated many times! Another weekend of no buys for me. I hope the tied will turn and they are listening! I have just been going in my purchase history to play the older games I have, so I can feel challenged again! I cannot stand how they dumb down the games of once were good series and making them more child like!
I am now playing Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge.

Please developers listen to us!!

P.S. I understand that there are gamers who like these type of games, but it would be nice to also provide games for us other gamers.

Me... I'm hanging out for the next True Fear instalment but there seems to be nothing new written up about it any where ???I do love my Dark & Eerie (for you Dax ) games... but I also love to dress up my little Ermine helpers in matching outfits ...

I think the CCC was an open Community Chat forum that they had here were you could post about anything... Not sure what the CCC stood for but I know a lot of people miss the ability to 'shoot the breeze' and talk about anything they wanted rather than sticking to talking about the game...

With that in mind... Valdy, the Harlequin doll has a Boudoir (that we can't access in Demo mode ), and during the game you collect masks and other items that got to the French bedroom ... I then assume we can dress up the Harlequin...

And NancySue said:... I like that there's a male protagonist, but since I usually use my name as game player, I'm being addressed by, well, Nancy, which isn't generally a guy's name, which is strange...

Well Nancy, when I'm doing the Demo or test I call myself Testicle ... So it was funny getting a letter from my sister Margaret, addressed "Dear Testicle" :...

Still giggling even now... So yeh I'm their target.. a giggly girly (@ 45) that likes to play dress up with her helpers (mainly because my hubby wont let me dress Chaos the cat up in funky outfits )

More Sneezes Dudesmum

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Sep 6, 14 10:57 AM
I got fed up with these games we are now seeing.i want games like we had a few year ago,like dire grove,the 1st ravenhurst.,I like games we can do things ourself.what I got back from them was a pat on the head and a free coupon.i have lots of free coupons going to waste,because there is no good games.i love cbtx,reviews.i,m about 70 I hope I don,nt upset others.but we need new games.

midori2
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by midori2 on Sep 6, 14 12:30 PM
Ditto, CBTX. Thanks for expressing something that in my opinion, needed to be said. I'd love it if the developers took heed of your comments. Meanwhile, here I sit, game credits stacking up, waiting for a game that stands up to the "old" standard of just a few years ago, pondering how much longer I'll wait until I cancel my membership.

Dudesmum
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by Dudesmum on Sep 6, 14 12:49 PM
cbtx wrote:Just to clarify, as I said before, ----

---- On the game page it says:

"Dress up your guide character in the dressing room"

I have waited a long time to express my thoughts on this oversimplification, pandering, and too often child like approach to games ---- but, right or wrong, these are my thoughts, and these are the elements that, IMO, are dragging down the games I used to enjoy so much. I'll still hope for a return to the games of times gone by (good stories, entertaining play, mild challenge, absence of filler, etc.), but I'm afraid that I may be waiting for a while. But, in the meantime, these type of games get no financial support from me.

Oh heaven to Betsy cbtx ... You are not allowed to have an opinion, thoughts, or freedom of expression ... Of course I'm kidding.... I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion etc. you are having yours and I'm loving furry friends (which I thing is some weird sex thing but I digress)...

As for the Game Page: All the dot points are Extras only not the game play itself so I think it's a badly worded or laid out page personally...

Now IMO I think your own thoughts are never wrong as they are what you are thinking... Just as others are entitled to not agree with your thoughts ... However I strongly feel that one should not misquote someone when they are posting their difference of opinions ... It was others that mentioned senile old women and giggly girlys... not you ...

I meanwhile have parted with my money so I'm of to play a few games starting with Fierce Tales: Feline Sight Collector's Edition... I could not resist this one and I love watching Chaos the cat's face when my computer Meows. .. So cute!!!

Coughing now Dudesmum

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 6, 14 1:32 PM
I have finished the demo and am sort of undecided regarding purchasing this game. I like the look of the game and yes, the puzzles are pretty simple. Sometimes I like simple puzzles so I can play a bit before going to sleep, keep my brain somewhat active, but not have to really call in the grey matter cavalry.
I also agree that the games have definitely gone downhill in interest, simplicity and other aspects. This appears to have happened around the time they took out the CCC (chitchatcorner) and many of the other means we had to interact. The group that helped folks to stop smoking was a definite public service as it helped me to stop and I hope I helped others.
I think there may be more money to be made in Online, IPad and IPhone and Android games and that this site is leaning in that direction. Just a guess.
I am 66, female, college educated and probably fit the demo of many of the folks on this site. I have been a member forever, think 2007. Will stay a member for now, but if it continues to go in the direction it is now moving in, I may have to find other game sites. I don't have the time for major, all engrossing games like WarCraft, but enjoy spending some time during the day playing these casual games, but please make them a bit more challenging and try thinking outside of the box when it comes to story lines.

Corie

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Sep 6, 14 1:56 PM
I am also undecided about this game.
Getting as many others a little tired of the games they make this days and would like to see more variation..... and less issues....

Hei dear Corie, it have been ages since I saw you in here.Hope you do fine
I do miss the quitters.

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Sep 6, 14 2:46 PM
Tauret wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how gender, chronological age, intelligence level and maturity level are brought up in negative reviews/comments about a game.

So far as gender is concerned, I wouldn’t be caught dead in pink anything, yet I see men every single day wearing it. All different shades of pink and aqua and purple and pastels too. I see men wearing earrings and other jewelry. I pass men every single day that wear cologne. I ride an elevator every day with men who carry a shoulder bag or two.

Trust me, when I was young NONE of these things were acceptable for men, with the exception of a splash of Old Spice or Aqua Velvet, a wedding or school ring a no-nonsense wrist watch and a briefcase.

Dress up? Not for me but all you have to do is pick up a magazine, watch television or rent a movie and you will find real-life male fashion designers, male make-up artists, male dancers, male models and male actors that make their living from playing dress up. Not too far of a stretch to think they might like doing the same in a casual game.

Games cute, childish, child like, simple, too fairy tale, too fantasy, too too too too too etc etc etc? You don’t like it? Fine, but why slam others that do? Why must those that do like a particular game, feature, genre, have to be cast as simpletons, idiots or immature by those that don’t?

You won’t buy it? Fine, but why try to exert pressure on others by insisting they also refrain from buying?

The more I read of these types of posts the more I come to the realization that all the old prejudices, rigid gender roles and bigotries that have plagued American society since American society began are alive and well. Mores the pity.

(Note: This post isn’t directed at any individual poster)

Couldn't agree more Tauret.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 6, 14 3:12 PM
Tauret wrote:IGames cute, childish, child like, simple, too fairy tale, too fantasy, too too too too too etc etc etc? You don’t like it? Fine, but why slam others that do? Why must those that do like a particular game, feature, genre, have to be cast as simpletons, idiots or immature by those that don’t?

You won’t buy it? Fine, but why try to exert pressure on others by insisting they also refrain from buying?

Hear hear Tauret...I completely agree.

My thoughts on this game are that it is a very well made game with a rather over-used storyline that, unfortunately, isn't one that appealed to me even the first time I saw it. However, the quality of the game itself, the craftsmanship, is very good and, without any doubt, I can say there will be a sizable number of people who like it. Just because this game isn't for me doesn't make the people who like it immature, girly, stupid, or whatever else.

I've read this about most "casual gamers" being middle aged women in a lot of places but I've never seen any data that supports this view. If anyone has a link to actual data instead of just claims I'd be interested to see it.

Also, "casual games" include a large number of game genres ranging from things like HOPA games to sudoku, mahjong, and online social network games. My guess is the demographic within each of these genres is probably different than the demographic of them all added together.

For example, the online social game Farmville, categorized like HOPA's as a casual game, has "has over 70 million active users worldwide" according to Wiki. Whatever demographic is playing that game is going to skew the results for other genres that don't have the same enormous number of people playing it. I doubt there are 70 million HOPA players worldwide.

As far as I know Big Fish doesn't collect demographic data so it's really impossible to know who is buying games here and what type they're buying. If someone knows that's incorrect I'd be curious to see the data Big Fish has collected on who is playing HOPA games. If there is no such data developers should be very wary of assuming the demographic here is the same as that of Farmville and similar online social games.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Sep 6, 14 3:17 PM
molla, molla, molla. I have missed you so much and think of you often. I hope all is well at your house and the cats are doing good. I am coming to the Netherlands early next year maybe I will take a side trip. I think the quitters was a good think that BF was doing for people and a shame it went away.
Corie

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Sep 6, 14 4:41 PM
re Sable Maze:

1) precious, cute animal helpers is getting absolutely insulting. It's pandering to the "aw, shucks" in all of us, and regrettably and unfortunately ---- to the players of a certain age that loves BF.
2) And, even more unfortunately, the games are getting disgustingly simple ---- like this one. My 10 year old grandson walked away from it, and said it was for "babies", and I won't support this or any other game this utterly simple. Come on, devs, give us credit for a little bit of intelligence.

I do not recommend this game for anyone except very young children (so young they probably have no business playing computer games except with adult hand holding), and absolutely not for adults.

re Reflections of Life:

In addition to being a trend, as you politely call it, I believe it is an obnoxious type of pandering. Especially when they show us "cutesy" animals that we can "dress-up" or "improve their habitat". That sort of thing makes me think the devs are laughing down their sleeve at us. I can hear them now ---- "Hey, let's put in a cute little critter right here. We can't come up with a story, but these middle-aged so called gamers will love these critters". Sorry, but that's what I believe. And it's insulting ---- not to mention childish. As a middle-aged gamer myself, I am definitely not looking for cute and simple. Oh, once in while, sure, but game after game?
(And then I see some of the replies in the forums ---- almost always female, btw ---- simply gushing about the "adorable" or "precious" animals. )

I can understand your frustrations but I'd sincerely appreciate it if you would look at those two comments and try to understand why it's insulting to the players that like these games. I don't think it's asking too much to tone it down a little.

Thank you.

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 6, 14 4:44 PM
cbtx wrote:

---- without any doubt, I can say there will be a sizable number of people who like it.

I wonder where the data is supporting this assertion, or is that just the claim of one poster? Or maybe the Top whatever list of BF?

---- "The typical casual gamer is older and more predominantly female,[29][30] with over 74% of those purchasing casual games being women.[31]" ---- this, according to our internet encyclopedia (many other sources available, but this one is good enough for me).

My assertion is based on the high ratings the game had already received on the main site at the point in time when I wrote my review coupled with seeing games of similar theme and quality consistently receive very high marks from many reviewers.

Yes, I've seen that quote in several articles all over the internet. Before posting above I saw the citation for it on the Wiki and I went to the link provided as the source for that information. I read the entire document which,by the way, was written 7 years ago. There is a single company that provided data that could even remotely be considered to support the conclusion Wiki printed and it wasn't Big Fish. That company, from what I can tell, does not rely on HOPs or HOPAs for its revenue. The document also does not provide any information about how the minimal data presented was obtained.

Further, that quote demonstrates the exact point I am making. The number given is for "casual gamers" as a whole which is, of course, the subject of the Wiki article you're referencing. The casual game group contains 70 million people who play Farmtown online. It contains the many people who play games like Bejeweled and Mahjong. In fact, the casual game category contains so many varied game genres that it is almost a wastebasket term and demographic data based on it doesn't speak to who is playing HOPA games in specific.

There was no attempt by the group Wiki took that quote from to break this extremely varied category down into game genres. This kind "information" may be enough for you. It isn't for me. It says absolutely nothing about who is buying HOPA games or how many are being purchased. Like I said, I'd be interested in looking at real data that does. That isn't it

Edited to fix font size

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 4:54:53 PM PST

[Post New]by AverageSizeFish on Sep 6, 14 5:06 PM
cbtx wrote:Well, it's good enough for me, as well as the many other articles I have seen that convince me that those figures are close enough to the reality.

However, I don't wish to provide you with all those sources as it is, unfortunately, my belief that whatever I direct you to or tell you about will just be met with the resistance of one who simply can not, and will not, be wrong.

This has obviously caused you great upset, and I wish that were not the case. I sincerely hope you feel better very soon.

And those are ---- just the facts.

Well I think asking for someone to point out new information that I have been unable to find myself is sort of, by definition, not claiming I'm right. However, in the absence of data to support your claim it's fanciful to simply just believe it. Reading articles about opinions is no substitute for data that includes study methodology. Nothing you've posted so far serves as anything but opinion.

Thanks for the good wishes although I'm interested in the topic academically and have no emotion invested as you seem to. I hope your profound angst over not liking every game Big Fish posts goes away soon

Go to: