Game keeps freezing!!

Southla
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

Re:Game keeps freezing!!

[Post New]by Southla on Sep 6, 14 9:30 AM
Same issue here. Screen goes black and computer freezes...Can't get out, can't close program normally...Have to force shutdown and re-boot. What a shame, I really enjoyed playing it until it froze. Guess I'll wait and see if there is a fix issued before purchasing. (Hope they do it before the sale is over lol)

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

Game keeps freezing!!

[Post New]by swedane on Sep 6, 14 9:47 AM
morriswidow wrote:Anyone else had a problem with this game! It keeps freezing on me :-(
NO! It's likely because I'm running a 5 year old Mac OS Mavericks with minimum apps running in the background!

[Post New]by morriswidow on Sep 6, 14 10:18 AM
I Beta tested this game and it didn't freeze at all during the test!! I hope they fix it soon as I really want to buy it in the sale!!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 6, 14 11:01 AM
OTOH, I don't think it's necessary to pity BFG too much.
For example, as for testing and BFG's participation: Quite often they are not only handing the game over to the players, esp. in CE's. If you look in the Credits, you'll see very often - here, too - a BFG Production team mentioned, and so you can safely assume that they are involved with the game production.
Also mentioned there: The SG writers are usually from BFG and the Narrative Design group (or person(s)). So they do know (play) the game before it is published.

Read BFG's article "What’s a Narrative Designer?"
(Posted by Lisa Brunette on April 28, 2014)
http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/guide-to-narrative-design-and-writing-video-game-stories/

to see how much the game itself - gameplay, story, whatever you call it - can be influenced by BFG.

Also, there are Game System Requirements posted on the games' DL pages.
Here it says - for the PC version:
(something similar on the MAC DL page)

and that usually means all versions of the mentioned OS.
If - as it could be the case here - the update to Win 8.1 happened only recently, it might be that the Dev's weren't able to test it on this .x version. (Although here in Germany, it's been weeks since this update was available and problems with several programs and whatnot arose right away.)

Then it's still the task of the Devs and BFG to deliver a fix (note I didn't say when, and I don't know ;Þ ) - or they should change their system requirements to "Windows 8, except Win 8.1". To learn about these problems, BFG provides the Tech issues thread, as the central point for such issues.
In the past, it was said that the Devs would get an information from this, either directly or through a BFG contact. Now it says at least to contact BFG's CS (if no-one here comes by with a quicker solution), so there's a chance that they contact the Dev's if need be.

So, I'd hope that everyone who's been posting here with problems reposts in the Tech issues thread and sends a mail to BFG's CS as mentioned there. As I understand the Mod's posts there, that's the best chance to get an update/fix.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Sep 6, 14 11:34 AM
Well, that does it for me. No 8.1. I'll just stay with 8! Thanks to all for the heads up.

teresa72
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by teresa72 on Sep 6, 14 12:52 PM
this game keeps freezing on me no buy

SquirrelGirrrl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by SquirrelGirrrl on Sep 6, 14 1:57 PM
I also had issues with the game freezing. When it did so, I tried to Ctrl Alt Del to bring up the Task Manager. But after selecting the Task Manager, it just brought me back to a black screen, with the game audio still playing. So the only way I could recover was to do a hard reboot. This happened twice before I gave up. I am running Windows 7 on a laptop.

wolfrun_cb1
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by wolfrun_cb1 on Sep 6, 14 3:16 PM
Doesn't matter if you are on Window 8 either. Mine is freezing using it.

Dudesmum wrote:I'm running Windows 8 and I get messages to upgrade it to 8.1... But it seems lots of people have problems with games freezing using 8.1 so I might just stay at 8...

Oh it didn't freeze up (I should add that in sorry).... The only game that I've had problems with is Weeping Women...

To answer the question don't they test the game (and no I'm not a Big Fish employee) but I would imagine it would be imposable to test on all platforms... I mean in just these few post there is 3 different types...

Also as previous people have posted Big Fish is just the place were we buy the games from not the maker of the games... It's like going into any game store and if the game doesn't work for you they have to report that back to the maker of the game... I feel for Big Fish sometimes as we seem to blame them for everything... From cutsee game charterers to large file downloads... But maybe it's just me...

Lastly and I promise to go away after this.... Yes there is BETA testing before the games are released on different levels. Sometimes the game company will ask for people to test the game when it's first made and some BETA is run as a download through Big Fish. I've Beta quite a few games and it can be hard to give good feedback when the questionnaire limits your responses.

But then it is great when they take peoples feedback and change some things in the game... But again that's the makers of the game not Big Fish...

One last note this company loves the name Margaret Reusing it from their
Mystery Tales: The Lost Hope Game... but I don't think it's a second part...

Oorroo and of my soap box
Dudesmum

Edited on 09/06/2014 at 3:17:32 PM PST

Lilly214
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Lilly214 on Sep 6, 14 4:32 PM
After reading all posts about game freezing and operating systems, I decided to revert back to windows 8. I recently installed 8.1 and I believe that was the start of my problems. I reloaded everything in windows 8 and now I am finally able to continue with the game. It took some time, but well worth it. The saying "don't fix what ain't broke" definitely applies to this situation. I do sincerely hope all here with similar problem will revert back to 8. What a difference!!! Good luck all and happy gaming!

[Post New]by lbeaty on Sep 6, 14 6:33 PM
Yes me to. Thought it was always my computer as it was 7 years old. Bought new computer and games still freeze.

OzGuy
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by OzGuy on Sep 6, 14 9:48 PM
Also having freezing problems ... Win 8.1 on an Acer TC603 Desk Top

Gungnir
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Gungnir on Sep 7, 14 8:06 AM
Had the same problem. I found out that if you don't use the little book (don't remember how it's called in the game), there's no more freezing problem.
Hop this helps

[Post New]by Bree59 on Sep 7, 14 8:46 AM
I beta tested this game and don't recall it freezing quite so much but try what I did...I re-installed the game manager and the game works fine for me at least for now.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Sep 7, 14 9:35 AM
yep.. me too... freezes every few seconds.

[Post New]by bohemianspirit on Sep 7, 14 1:13 PM
Yes, same problems with freezing. I have to restart my computer just to get it to close. I am writing to get my money returned.

lpslov37
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by lpslov37 on Sep 7, 14 1:15 PM
It keeps freezing on me too, it says violation an then it says "Domini games have stopped running" I am halfway through and this happens. Definitely this is not the BFG that I subscribed to a long, long time ago. Are you going to resolve this matter ?

[Post New]by fishydownunder on Sep 7, 14 4:58 PM
Seems to be that Windows 8.1 causes the problem of this game freezing as it freezes for me too. I would buy this game, but won't unless problem gets fixed. Come on BFG.

[Post New]by linda_1003 on Sep 8, 14 12:08 AM
Windows 8.1 - same issue. Freezes. Need to sign out then back in. Sure takes the fun out of the game! Hopefully a cure soon.

john_murray2
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by john_murray2 on Sep 8, 14 7:12 AM
i had the same problem on mine i was doing the puzzle on the flying drone then i went to another section and it went dark on me.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Sep 8, 14 1:43 PM
Brand new laptop. Running Windows 8.1. It keeps freezing. Still need to play on the Windows 7 computer. I'll check back in to see what others are saying. I really like this game. I hope it will be a buy.

Go to: