goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

Re:TGT - Alchemist's Apprentice

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Apr 4, 09 7:09 AM
This seriously wanted to be the next "Liong: The Lost Amulets". Now there is a classy game that gets the graphics AND gameplay mix beautifully merged.

Edited on 04/04/2009 at 8:14:38 AM PST

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 4, 09 8:53 AM
A voice of dissent here--as I really like this game! I just finished Caribbean Hideaway last night, and even though there were definitely moments of frustration, it was a real challenge, and I felt like I had truly accomplished something by finishing it. So, I'm going to be buying this one and hoping that finishing it eventually won't prove to be an impossibility.

I have also bought Puzzle Park--which is the match-3 game that I play when I don't feel like having that extra level of challenge, as that game has no timer.

So, I feel that I have the best of both worlds here.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what other powerups are on offer here. The minigame with the leprechaun doesn't thrill me, and I stink at it, but hopefully the acquisition of many coins in this minigame isn't essential to finishing the game.

Sablesshadow
Manatee
Manatee
4,347 Posts

[Post New]by Sablesshadow on Apr 4, 09 9:14 AM
Thanks for the review, Poodlebear; I find your review to be spot-on with enough detail in both the pro and con categories.

Not crazy about Match-3 game, but I will try the demo.

Thanks again,
Sable

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 4, 09 9:54 AM
Poodle -

I totally agree with you! I really wanted to like this game. I have 22 min. left in the Demo but the "ugly" points already ourweigh the Beauty. You are very right about the sparky stuff. I began to find it difficult to tell what matched with all that glitter going on and was done in by the timer while I tried to figure it out.

That coin catching mini is annoying to say the least. it could be a fun challenge if it were placed at the end of a level but is a BIG annoyance when it disrupts a game. it was especially irritating on the last level I played. While i was struggling to find matches (couldn't tell the differences between some of the glittery things) here comes that silly game.

Give me more HOs and less catch-the-coins. Wish it had an untimed option. With an untimed mode I would probably have bought especially if this gets on Felix's list (I so want a key chain!).

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 4, 09 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, although I love match 3 games, and love the graphics, this one isn't Lisa-approved, either.

First to answer Lord K, as his is a question I had, also: the only way to find out what the different upgrades are and how to get them, as far as I can tell, is to click on each picture once it is turned on and read the explanation (while you do that the timer is running -- boooo!!!)

So, the timer: I bought this game in spite of the timer because I had a free game code and wanted to test it out, at least. I am slow (arthritic hands) and ran out of timer for the first time in the second group (there are 5 groups of 10 games, plus the minigames). There is a way to get more time (collect little green crystals on the tiles), but there are few of the green crystals and you don't get a lot of extra time. I will continue to mess about with it as much as I can, but I bet I'll never get close to finishing it.

The HO extras are nice (one at the beginning and one after each set of 10), but not enough to make this any sort of Match-3/HO crossover game.

About that annoying leprechaun game: I hate it like everyone else seems to. I cannot manipulate the leprechaun worth a dang and he tends to get clunked over the head by a branch and refuse to work. As someone else pointed out, this silly "bonus game" also interrups the flow of the main game, which makes the timer even more annoying.

I'm not as much bothered by the glitter and flashes as some, but I agree that some tiles (especially the 2 silvery types) become very hard to distinguish.

I'm not surprised that some people like this game. It is pretty, and kind of different, but it's definitely not for the timer-phobic amongst us.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 4, 09 10:08 AM
I was so excited to have a new match game and was expecting more than it delivered. The previous reviews have already coverd my concerns with the game so I won't repeat them here to avoid redundancy.

Seldom do I give a game but I'm compelled to with this one.

firestone1960
Flounder
Flounder
2,309 Posts

[Post New]by firestone1960 on Apr 4, 09 10:35 AM
hmmm...I'm really on the fence with one - as a general rule, I like M3 and timers have never bothered me...the graphics were very pretty, and I liked what of the story I read - skipped a lot as I like to play demo time - the coin-collecting mini game - ughhh - the highest amount of coins I caught was 21 - that seems low to me for a game that interrupts the main gameplay - so, I don't like that part...the other upgrades to the buildings (you can discover the upgrade by hovering or clicking on the building itself - even before the first upgrade) - I didn't like how they were shown in the game - as others have said - it's too spark-ly...lol...the HO scenes - sigh - ok but not enough to call it HO - the timer for them is the bar that runs across the top - I think...lol...

anyway, firestone is trying to balance on the fence...currently not leaning one way or the other......

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 4, 09 10:37 AM
The graphics are beautiful, but there's too many problems.

Lepr. minigame interrupting the matching
matching is always square tiles on rectangular board (at least in my 25 minutes of demo) - BORING
You get a choice of upgrades, but no info on what the different upgrades DO
The single Hidden Object scene I got was just find all the scrolls, etc. That's going to irritate those who do not like HOGs and not satisfy those who do like HOGs.

If I get desperate sometime I'll try the rest of my minutes, which is mostly why I didn't continue. I'm not that desperate for a new match-3 this week, personally.

edit: Although there's a nice map of your progress, with the levels completed marked, you can't go back and replay a given level. Yet another IMO.

Edited on 04/04/2009 at 1:30:03 PM PST

barbM
Marlin
Marlin
9,026 Posts

[Post New]by barbM on Apr 4, 09 11:47 AM
After reading reviews I'm not even trying this one

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Apr 4, 09 12:15 PM
Tried this game!
GRAPHICS: GREAT
SPARKLY BITS; BAD
HOGs; DID 2; OK
MINI GAME; ANNOYED ME

BUY IT; IN TWO MINDS!!!!!!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 4, 09 12:48 PM
I'm still playing it, and I still like it. The sparkly bits don't bother me. Again, using Caribbean Hideaway as a reference, it was much harder for me to distinguish tiles in that game at times than it is for me in this one.

Lordkalvan, it does trouble me that there does not appear to be any way to distinguish what the upgrades do prior to purchasing them, but thus far I have been buying them blind and have run into no particular difficulty as a result of my ignorance (not ignoring the fact that this doesn't excuse the absence of such information).

I'm getting a bit better at catching coins from the leprechaun, as well, although I will probably continue to do a very good imitation of the proverbial bungling idiot while doing so!

Edited on 04/04/2009 at 12:49:02 PM PST

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Apr 4, 09 1:31 PM
played the demo and deleted ~ don't purchase a lot of m3 games anyway, mostly HOGs ~ this one tho was pretty enough and different enough that it had me thinking in the first 10 mins or so that it was a maybe but in the end nope

the negatives starting stacking up, the dreadful leprachaun minigame, the irritation (as lordk pointed out) of not knowing what you were buying when you had choices of different bldgs to upgrade, not gettin the info popup until after you purchased, the "sparklies", only a few levels of HOs didn't take long to figure out it was going to be 1 every 10 levels not enough frequency to really call it a M3/HO combo game

too bad as in the beginning, it did have promise

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Apr 4, 09 1:56 PM
I agree that the graphics are terrific. I'm just not that into match 3 games so it was a miss for me. I'll pass.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 4, 09 3:08 PM
ecblisa wrote: About that annoying leprechaun game: I hate it like everyone else seems to. I cannot manipulate the leprechaun worth a dang and he tends to get clunked over the head by a branch and refuse to work.

Towards the end of my trial, knowing I would not buy, I started purposefully trying to get him conked by the branches. More fun than actually trying to collect coins.

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Apr 4, 09 3:31 PM
I really like HO--Match-3 games, and I must admit the graphics and sound effects for this game are really nice, but I, too do not like timers and I hated the mini-game. Also, the HO parts did have a timer and I hated that also, besides there really wasn't much HO to it. I guess I've been spoiled by Call of Atlantis even though it's a timed game, the hidden object parts were fun. I don't think I will be getting this one.

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Apr 4, 09 11:05 PM
Lordkalvan & Howatch... When the upgrade screen is displayed, you set your mouse on the building (hard to distinguish what's what, tho) and it will tell you what the upgrade does.

I was so disappointed in this game. For such awesome graphics (at least in the dialog section), the match-3 and mini game are the pits. I was making matches with tokens that didn't match because they all looked the same. And the same board over and over again... UGH! Thanks but no thanks. I'll save my game credit for something else!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 5, 09 12:11 AM
TopazMystique wrote:Lordkalvan & Howatch... When the upgrade screen is displayed, you set your mouse on the building (hard to distinguish what's what, tho) and it will tell you what the upgrade does.

I was so disappointed in this game. For such awesome graphics (at least in the dialog section), the match-3 and mini game are the pits. I was making matches with tokens that didn't match because they all looked the same. And the same board over and over again... UGH! Thanks but no thanks. I'll save my game credit for something else!

Thank you; I have since figured that out!

I'm still enjoying the game; it's still holding my interest, and I'm curious to see how far I will be able to progress. Maybe I'm just a masochist!

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Apr 5, 09 2:13 AM
I liked the finding the scrolls and was looking forward to a match 3 game, but I received these boring green and blue shapes, that just wasn't fun. It didn't appear to me and I didn't play the entire trial. I like my match 3's to be more creative and different not a boring blue/green shape, maybe good for making me so bored I sleep but thats ok, I'll just pass.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 5, 09 2:51 AM
Sure glad I came here, have been fence sitting since this afternoon when waiting forever for this thing to even load, unusual since not THAT long and I'm on high speed cable, maybe just Sat day traffic. Then on demo when I hit Play it started, then an error (so fast I couldnt read it) then it crashed. I tried again from the icon on desktop rather than game manager and it did open to a beautifully designed upscale game. The promo did say "fast paced" and I don't do timers usually, I want to relax without pressure.

I have been so hungry for a good M3 for so long I've been returning to Fishdom (now over 900 times between pc and laptop) even tho timed I usually have enough time or don't mind playing over the interesting puzzles and challenges. Then I go back to old faithful BKReef2Chains, all thru the bonus games over and over, best replay value ever. Tried PuzzlePark last night but once those flashes started covering tiles I couldn't make out what they were for a match. So at first AA looked easy on the eyes and I am pretty good at HO found all the scrolls til last piece had to use a hint. But alas, started timing out on level 6 of the first location, even thinking I had all the coins and broken frozen ones but didn't know what else I'm supposed to do when no more coins dropped game over.

I didn't even get as far as mini game leperchaun whatever you are talking about, after doing 6 over a few times demo hour was over. Sounds like from posts there aren't any more challenging shapes but this same grid. I didn't find it too hard on the eyes but hadn't progressed far enough to see flashes.

I'm sick of spending money on games I cannot finish, feel like buying a book where someone has ripped out the last pages, how does it end cliffhangers. I'll never get past level 62 or 63 to find the end of 4 Elements, but finally surrendered to that and still replay it up to my Waterloo. On Caribbean Hideaway never got past Level 29. Was a fun game til then. Forget 7 Wonders, I've been stuck in last location 2 years. But I have enjoyed Call of Atlantis very much even tho I know I'll never get out of Carthage at the end, it is an interesting game and not too eye straining.

So, if the visuals get to flashy and hard to make out and puzzles don't change no point in buying more frustration, I'll just keep being the zombee repeating BKR2 for the 2 thousanth time. I thought game designers would have perceived by now that there are avid players who are not speed freaks.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Apr 5, 09 3:22 AM
Long winded me again, got last msg cut off. But want to add that I am sick of HOGs getting harder and harder and m3 getting faster and too challenging and I'll speak for my seniors' age group who are giving up. Eyes aren't good enough anymore nor monitors big enough to find half the hidden objects, maybe investors are all optomotrists scaring us in for new glasses? And as a HOG player first, I prefer straight scenes one can SEE one after the other. I don't like losing the flow with complicated impossible puzzles between, can even do without stories or interruptions. If I'm in mood for M3 I don't want to stop the flow either, if I want to hunt objects I'd have gone to an old HOG, maybe a simple jigsaw that was in concept to the theme but I am getting to hate combo games. Give me one or the other, I'm sure there must be 2 markets out here, and the seniors with slower hands and not so hot eyesight and sick of pressure and complications, well we are being ignored.

Now I check forums and judging by the length of threads asking for HELP I'm stuck, or hard to see objects in dark shadows without hints etc I don't even demo. I don't want to take up all my "leisure" game time hunting down walkthrus, tips and tricks and having spoilers play the game for me. I fall asleep reading up on challenges before I even get back to the game. They could rate games novice, intermediate, expert, speedo, or don't try this at home if you need to relax (me). I'm 72 but still got brains, where are the games to relax my mind, not twist it more?

Think I'll shut up and go back to Prime Suspects or the fun fun Mystery PI from Spintop where I can enjoy a non timer game and see objects. RTR did me under, 2 weeks to finish that which one week was reading or falling asleep waiting for a hint. I'll take plain vanilla thank you. What a pity, AA was so beautiful, loved the graphics but love more a game that is playable. Glad I didn't hit BUY, thanks for input here, thought I was the only ditz around.

Go to: