Tygrepawz
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

Re:Welcome to Alchemist's Apprentice forum

[Post New]by Tygrepawz on Apr 15, 09 4:10 PM
I played the game completely through the first time in easy mode with only a few levels at the end giving me trouble and having to restart to get past them. I don't mind the timer with the restart feature but what I DO mind is that stupid coin catching leprechaun game interrupting my concentration just as I am getting a good run going in the Match 3 part. The bonus round concept is fine but it should be at the end of the Match 3 round and have some option to skip it entirely. My cursor keeps freezing up and there were very few times I actually got over 10-15 coins and I still have no clue how that happened as there weren't that many caught on the bounce back after hitting the ground.

I changed my user name and going a second round in the hard mode so I suspect it is going to take a bit longer.

[Post New]by BonnietheJo on Apr 16, 09 10:52 AM
Bucking the trend of the posts so far -- I have really enjoyed this game:

--Dazzling tile pops: A bit annoying but just be sure not to have a bright light behind you, reflecting off your screen
--Graphics: Mostly beautiful
--Text: I've seen many games with worse grammar and spelling. As long as I can understand the instructions, I choose to smile and consider the grammar errors as "hidden objects" that I love to find and correct. ;>
--Timer: My version of the game has always given me the "buy 30 seconds for 10000 points?" option. Sometimes I've had to use that option as many as 7 times, but the chips have always eventually fallen my way. As mentioned elsewhere, I upgraded the Time (Clock) building early and often.
--Progressively harder play: Actually, I too was almost discouraged in this way in the first several levels, but as I began to upgrade the buidlings around the valley, I was more often able to complete a level fairly quickly.
--Skimpy on the HO: Yes, but I like both HO and Match 3. I find it harder to find great Match 3 games than HOs so this combo has been OK for me. Frankly, the few HO minigames in AA are so scarce they're not even worth mentioning.
--That vexsome leprechaun: What a pain! I use my touchpad, not a mouse, to play, and his responses are jerky, putting him under a branch as often as not. The Match 3 timer is frozen while he's out there in the orchard, so I never tried very hard to get him to catch coins. My highest gather was 14 coins. True, he did push me over the top three or four times when I was only 10 seconds away from losing the level.

Overall: I rate this game very highly -- challenging, pretty, easy to put on hold when it's time for dinner and easy to come back to.

Regards to all

[Post New]by Legowyn on Apr 20, 09 4:06 PM
This is the first match 3 to hold my attention in a long time! I agree with all BonnietheJo's points, so won't repeat them all!!

Nice little time-waster!!

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Apr 20, 09 8:40 PM
After playing the trial for the first hour and getting to 2.6 fairly easily, I purchased the game and then was shocked when I reached 2.8! I cannot get past it and have tried 16th times! I can barely get to 1/2 the coins before the time runs out. I have upgraded all the buildings once, except for the castle. I can get extra time and the thunder, but at this level I never get the Irish fellow - whom I really enjoyed as I could catch as many as 30 extra coins to add to my catch. Barely any coins show up even when I match the coins to the treasury to add extra coins. I like the size of the matching tiles, the color is a bit bright, but if I'd known I'd have this much trouble I'm not sure I would have played it without the relaxed mode choice. Any suggestions on getting past this level and on to the next?

I think I like Yard Sale much better - it is really whimsical and funny. Love sanding furniture!

[Post New]by mahjongirl on Jun 6, 09 12:47 PM
Used my game credit for this and am very unhappy with it. The trial was great, but now no matter how fast I play and even with the extra thirty seconds, I run out of time at level 1.9. Makes no sense that I can't advance. I should have read the forum first. Never would have purchased.

tayers81
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,692 Posts

[Post New]by tayers81 on Jul 18, 09 7:48 AM
I'm about to download this game, but I'm a little apprehensive after reading some of the posts. I really like hidden object games, so I'm hoping this is a good one for me. I usually get really bored just playing match 3 games because they just seem to go on and on (I'm a little impatient).

Does this one have a good storyline? I don't really enjoy games that have disjointed plots, or worse, none at all! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[Post New]by essoilsgreen on Jul 21, 09 9:14 AM
This was the first game that I bought from BFG and I loved it. the colours are absolutely beautiful and although it is mostly the same thing over and over, it did keep me occupied for quite some time. the only thing I hated was the bonus game part with the leprechaun, this drove me nuts and in the end, i tried to see how many times i could hit him on the head instead of catching the coins (more satisfying that way). but all in all a good game with fabulous graphics.

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Aug 26, 09 10:05 PM
essoilsgreen wrote:i tried to see how many times i could hit him on the head instead of catching the coins (more satisfying that way)

LOL! And how many times did you hit him on the head?

[Post New]by nascar4_9kasey on Sep 16, 09 10:39 PM
I too am stuck and get past 1.9, and am truly sorry I bought the game. I don't like timers either, I wish you had a choice. I just wonder if you can get another game in trade for this one. If anyone knows please let us know. Well have a happy one and congrats to everyone who has beaten the game.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on May 20, 10 2:42 AM
I've got 2 or 3 games about which I'm feeling very sorry having bought them. Still I'm stuck with them, never played them again, I just try to ignore them, but they still win as I can't help feeling sorry for my purse each time I come across them ! Not too sure about this one, I much prefer Heroes of Hellas ( plus Heroes of Hellas II), which I recommend. Probably not a buy.

[Post New]by readreddog on Sep 15, 10 3:47 PM
I am hoplessly sstuck at level 2-8, I rarely use the forum to check any clues available to get out of a rough path. Thank you all for your messagews. Looks like there may be a hint to takie me out of the 2-8 loop. I'll pay extra amd hope the funny money allows me to go to the next level.

GaCorolla
Shark
Shark
13,397 Posts

[Post New]by GaCorolla on Sep 24, 10 12:07 PM
I have read all of the posts on this first entry on the forum. I was surprised that I enjoyed it, since it has HOG stuff in it. I agree with tygregawz that it would be nice to have the bonus level after you clear the board. I have more difficulty with that leprechum than anything. I cannot figure if its my lack of coordination, my mouse, or what. With the exception of Heroes of Hellas 1 and 2, I don't like building or restoring items. Good true match 3 games seem to be few and far between. I also did not have as much trouble getting to level 3 as some of the others. I play pretty well, though I would not rate myself and expert by any means. As long as I progress a little as the game goes on, I enjoy the game. When it gets so hard you cannot do that, it becomes work and not pleasure.

Overall, I am enjoying the game. I stopped during level 3 to see what some of the other players were posting. I hope that as I go on, I still feel this way. I, too, wish that it had a relaxed mode. ( I was going to edit this but due to lack of space will just create another entry.)

Edited on 09/24/2010 at 1:00:48 PM PST

GaCorolla
Shark
Shark
13,397 Posts

[Post New]by GaCorolla on Sep 24, 10 1:13 PM
This is my second entry on this and other games. I have now read all of the entries in the forums. Boy, was I surprised at the negative reactions from other players! I have read a lot of forums on many games, and have found that much of what other players wrote, did not help me too much. Games that I have found to be good to me, are quite often not liked by others. I like true match 3 games, dislike HOG ones, I'm not fond of building or the like. I like a game where you progress, not reach impassable levels which imo turn the game into work not fun. The HOG aspect of AA was more enjoyable for me; I could put up with it to play the other things this game uses.
When I check out movies, most of the time I find the positive reviews that are written usually means I may not enjoy it. Perhaps I have different tastes that some.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Mar 12, 13 3:14 AM
This is my go to game when I'm not really playing anything, or in between other games. The timer can be beat!! If you notice the buildings you are creating after having enough coinage, you'll notice there is one that actually turns regular gems into having coins. So basically that was my first upgrade and have not had a problem with the timer. I think the leprechaun needs to quietly sit on his pot of gold in the corner!!! Other than that I find it to be very entertaining and even though it's very cartoonish at best, it sure beats all of the other "3 in a row" games I've tried. I really enjoy it and its a great escape!!

[Post New]by stargif on Oct 27, 13 12:22 PM
Is there an "easy" mode to this game? In the discussion, a member mentioned that there are different modes to this game. To get from one mode, you have to sign in under a different name and change the mode; ie, from easy to hard. I have not seen this option. Can anyone help? I notice that some of these posts are very old. Thanks

Go to: