grama4jr
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

THIS GAME IS NOT FOR ME..AND I BUY ALL THE CE'S

[Post New]by grama4jr on Sep 21, 14 4:29 AM
I play the games in easy, because I like to get thru them and not have to do any heavy thinking..they are for relaxing...Well this one had me chewing on the guide and wearing it out opening and closing. Didn't know what to do, where to go and what the heck to do when I got there! There was no "Hint" as to what to do!!

A no buy for me, hope it is an error on the developers part and they fix it. One of the few CE's that I have not purchased!!

Please no more like this one !

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 21, 14 2:14 PM
Hi all. Well, didn't get to this game until today...went to the Fair with our grand kids yesterday, which was a lot more fun than this game. I see that others have had the same "bug" problem and that the devs are working on a "cure." I won't go into the problem, but I think I'll wait for the fix before I finish what's left of my review.

In the meantime, the graphics were very nice, clear and crisp colors. Game play was otherwise very good. Music was nice and somewhat soothing. Voice overs were good and were appropriate for the age and character. There is a useful jump map that does show you objectives and places of interest...quite helpful in this game.

HOPs are the standard. Items not difficult to find and pretty clear of junk. Puzzles were fairly simple, nothing new here. Hint system was helpful, but was very slow on the recharge. You collect elements, e.g. fire, etc., along the way, which helps you throughout the game.

I got frustrated with the bug, so didn't play for the full demo, I was in chapter 2 when I stopped. Just too much clicking around to try to figure things out right now, which takes all the fun out of a game for me. I didn't find any other collectibles, but I see from other reviewers that there are some. I do like the story line and look forward to trying it again when the fix comes through. I'll let you know at that time if I'm going to purchase or not.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may think all is well as it stands. However, I do recommend that you do not purchase this game until the bug is fixed. Thanks for the reviews.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Forgotten Kingdoms: Dream of Ruin Collector's Edition here

[Post New]by scarygame_lvr on Sep 21, 14 5:16 PM
I have it on easiest and still no hint statement to tell us what to do in that scenario really bugs cause I have to go to strategy guide which I never usually have to do because the hint statement usually gives you enough info to let you know what you need to do in each situation!!

bevaa72
Starfish
Starfish
58 Posts

[Post New]by bevaa72 on Sep 22, 14 9:35 AM
I am deaf. This game is NOT for deaf people to play. I understood there are talking but no subtitles. Not very user-friendly, either. Hard to figure what is the next step to play!!! Hate to click on GUIDE. Definitely NOT to buy!

Horrible Game [Part 1 of 2]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 24, 14 12:13 AM
I haven't posted a review in awhile, but I had to post one about this game. Much of the criticisms have already been stated, but I wanted to put in my 2 cents. This is definitely one of the worst, if not THE worst HOG/Adventure game, I have ever played. As most people have stated, there is virtually no Help Text; yet I selected the Easy Mode, and it specifically says there is Help Text. You click on about 50 things and for the first 49 there is no text, then for the 50th, there is a little Help Text. What made it so bad was that the game is very abstract. If you click on a drawer with a lock, all the other games will say you need a key. However, even without help text, you can figure that out. But with this game, you didn't have simple things like that. You would have to put a strand of dragon hair into a crack in a stone wall. You click and there are gears, but it doesn't say anything. Now, how on earth would I know to put a strand of dragon hair into a crack in the wall? The majority of the game was like that. Also, as others stated, in every scene you click and a magnifying glass or gears appear, but there is nothing to do there.

Next, the HOPs were a nightmare! Miniscule items that you can't see. Then, even though I played on Easy Mode, the Hint took a minute to recharge. Unacceptable. Many of the games today have a Custom Difficulty and I always set the Hint and Skip buttons to 5 or 10 seconds to recharge. This game needed the Hint button and it was a living hell on earth to click a Hint and then have to wait a minute to use it again. Plus, when you click Hint, the game is supposed to circle the Inventory item you need to use and draw a line to the area you need to use it on. So it takes about 2 seconds to use the Inventory item in the scene. This game, almost all the time, just circled the area in the scene, but doesn't tell you which inventory item to use there and it uses up the Hint. Then when you zoom in on the area you have to try to figure out which item to use there. For most of the game, I had to keep on clicking on every inventory item to see if it would work in the scene, and it usually wouldn't. Then I would click on one of the 4 powers (Fire, Water, Earth, Air) to see if they worked. Then, when the Hint recharged, it would have the nerve to just point to an area in the scene, but it still wouldn't tell you what inventory item to use there. It turns out that it was very, very particular where you placed the item.

[End of Part 1]

Edited on 09/24/2014 at 1:00:41 AM PST

Horrible Game [Part 2 of 2]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 24, 14 12:15 AM
[Part 2]

So I would look in the Strategy Guide (SG) to determine what to do and it would show to use an item that I had already tried to use 3-4 times. I would finally place the item in the correct spot. The whole episode would take about 5 minutes, instead of 2 seconds, if the Hint did what a Hint is supposed to do. This happened throughout the game. Looking at the SG is a nuisance. With this game, I would just keep clicking on Hint after Hint to figure out what to do, which is bad enough. But at least if the Hint recharged in 5-10 seconds, it wouldn't be as bad as this game, where you have to wait a minute between Hints.

A few of the puzzle/mini-games were good, but the large majority of them were horrible. Most of them were very difficult and tedious. I tried not to Skip too many of them, but a few of them that I completed took 20-25 minutes to complete. But that's not a good thing because the puzzles weren't fun. They were very tedious, difficult, and time-consuming.

Then the Map was annoying because you can't see if you had any Objectives in the scene that you were in. I like to stay in a scene until there are no more Objectives. But with this game, I had to go to another scene, then click on the map again, and if I saw there will still Objectives in the scene I just left, I would go back to it. You should be able to see if there are Objectives on the map in the scene that you occupy. Also, the Map won't let you click on the scene you are already in to return to it. You have to look for and click on the Close icon. Plus, there was no Map in the Bonus chapter, which infuriated me.

Then, throughout the game, periodically during a scene the music and sound effects would stop and the game would be silent. Then after the big dramatic scene, the sound would return.

In summary, games are supposed to be fun. If a game is boring, that is bad enough. But this game was worse than boring. It was tedious and ridiculous and that infuriated me. I would rather be a bit bored in a game than play a game that makes me angry.

All in all, this was a horrible game and I unequivocally do not recommend it. I give this game 2 thumbs down and I rate this game a 3 out of 10.

[End of Part 2 and End of Review]

Edited on 09/24/2014 at 1:04:53 AM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Sep 24, 14 12:38 AM
Even though it wasn't the intention of the developers to make this such a challenge for everyone because the instructions in the pop-up windows are missing, I'm glad to see more positive reviews appearing on the product page now because this is a beautiful game.

The story is interesting and not the run of the mill, music is beautifully haunting and fitting, graphics are lovely and I got to fly on one of my favourite animals!

At first it was a little odd to see only gears, but then I realised how reliant I had become on the type of hints we usually roll our eyes at, such as "I need a key" or "I could melt something here". An expert or intermediate player shouldn't really have any problems getting through this. The game puts the "A" in a HOPA more firmly in the large file adventure genre, where there is no hand-holding. For someone new to a HOPA, however, it may be best to try another game first.

I won't elaborate as I know many are waiting for the fix and I don't want to spoil any of it. I'll only say, try it and give your brain a good workout if you feel like it, because it's a lovely game that I don't think should be written off as a dud because of the accidental challenge it throws down. And my other challenge with it is to see how much I will actually like the 'fixed' version.

--------------------------
Sorry, but as an aside....

Dominick!!! Lovely to see you again and know that you are well!

P.S.: My apologies also to the mods and to Dominick. I know it's not really allowed (and the first time I've ever done this). I got a bit carried away by seeing an old friend for the first time in a very long time. When so many I knew have now passed away, it's a relief to see a long lost fishie is alive and well. PMs now exchanged.

Edited on 09/24/2014 at 2:31:51 AM PST

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Sep 24, 14 1:06 AM
Sorry Mod.

Hi, Tiger. Sure, I'm still around. Nice to "see" you, too.

The Mod said not to post messages here, so let's PM each other.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 26, 14 11:50 AM
dancemom1 wrote:Hi all. Well, didn't get to this game until today...went to the Fair with our grand kids yesterday, which was a lot more fun than this game. I see that others have had the same "bug" problem and that the devs are working on a "cure." I won't go into the problem, but I think I'll wait for the fix before I finish what's left of my review.

In the meantime, the graphics were very nice, clear and crisp colors. Game play was otherwise very good. Music was nice and somewhat soothing. Voice overs were good and were appropriate for the age and character. There is a useful jump map that does show you objectives and places of interest...quite helpful in this game.

HOPs are the standard. Items not difficult to find and pretty clear of junk. Puzzles were fairly simple, nothing new here. Hint system was helpful, but was very slow on the recharge. You collect elements, e.g. fire, etc., along the way, which helps you throughout the game.

I got frustrated with the bug, so didn't play for the full demo, I was in chapter 2 when I stopped. Just too much clicking around to try to figure things out right now, which takes all the fun out of a game for me. I didn't find any other collectibles, but I see from other reviewers that there are some. I do like the story line and look forward to trying it again when the fix comes through. I'll let you know at that time if I'm going to purchase or not.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may think all is well as it stands. However, I do recommend that you do not purchase this game until the bug is fixed. Thanks for the reviews.

Well, the fix is in and the game works great! To add to my original review, I like this game. Of course, I'm into dragons and the like, so I was drawn in pretty quickly. Still haven't found any real collectibles, but now that the game is fixed, maybe I will. Other than the frustratingly slow hint recovery, this is a nice game and a definite buy for me. NOW I can recommend this game. Give it a try and see what you think.

sadies_dad
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by sadies_dad on Oct 30, 14 7:53 AM
I played this game with the update, and thought that it was okay. Like everyone else, I found that the bonus game cannot be completed, as it hangs with the clicking 4 buttons in the correct order in the cave. BF tells me that this game is not compatible with my Windows 8.1. They offered a free "any game" replacement, which, unfortunately, also will not complete properly. Oh well . . . .

[Post New]by drewlovesnan on Nov 1, 14 8:38 PM
fun game but the bonus game has a bug - the grotto accepts the translation-tablet then just stops. checked all the guide walk-thru's...it ain't us. it needs a fix

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Nov 7, 14 11:27 AM
I rather enjoyed this game, but found some of the cards were so small they were hard to find.

godschild1955
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by godschild1955 on Jan 25, 15 10:14 AM
Don't remember any problems with demo. Bought game & got through the main story w/o a lot of problems. Playing bonus game now & am so stuck I'm ready to just quit and start different game.
I am on the circle puzzle with ladies, I have found all but the last 2 spades & 2 owls. I have hit the the hint repeatedly and the 2 spots they keep circling I have clicked many many times- upper left & lower right. And you can't move forward w/o completing puzzle since there is no skip to push. Let me know if anyone can help me so I can either finish or chalk it up to another game I wasted money on.
Thank You.

Go to: