Which Fairy Tale

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

Re:Which Fairy Tale

[Post New]by swedane on Sep 28, 14 4:30 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:Bartsister, you're so funny! I can't imagine not calling anyone a boob! It's pretty common in my family to hear "Don't be such a boob." It does mean "simpleton" or "idiot" after all!

Since English is not my native language, I needed some clarification on the word Boob!

Here's sharing the definition from my dictionary:

boob 1 |bo?ob| informal
noun

1 a foolish or stupid person: why was that boob given a key investigation?
2 Brit.an embarrassing mistake.

ORIGIN early 20th cent.: abbreviation of booby1.

boob 2 |bo?ob|
noun (usu. boobs) informal
a woman's breast.

ORIGIN 1950s (originally US): abbreviation of booby2, from dialect bubby, of uncertain origin; perhaps related to German dialect Bübbi ‘teat.’

booby 1 |?bo?ob?|
noun (pl. boobies)
1 a stupid or childish person.
2 a large tropical seabird of the gannet family, with brown, black, or white plumage and often brightly colored feet.

Who'd have guessed, eh?

feegee
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by feegee on Sep 28, 14 8:39 AM
Wow............Great question.....Until feelings got all tangled up in it....?!?

Edited on 09/28/2014 at 8:44:15 AM PST

MrsBruce32
Salmon
Salmon
2,697 Posts

[Post New]by MrsBruce32 on Sep 28, 14 9:27 AM
feegee wrote:Wow............Great question.....Until feelings got all tangled up in it....?!?

That is the problem with posting, emailing, texting....the lack of facial expressions and voice inflections don't come across. Misunderstandings were daily when they had the CCC.

As for the fairy tale, I did not ever hear of or read The Six Swans. There is a book of Grimm Fairy Tales that were geared towards children, 50 tales total. I guess I will put this on the library list to see what others I missed too.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 28, 14 9:27 AM
Swedane, your definition 1 is exactly what I meant! The example there, "why was that boob given a key investigation?" is how I see the word. It is not a compliment, but as an insult it is very gentle and actually in that context sounds rather lighthearted!

Bartsister - it's okay. I got your humor! That's why I responded, so really it's all my fault!

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 28, 14 9:39 AM
Oh...oh...oh! I just did what Bartsister did, checked the forums for the word! And I completely forgot about the term "boob tube" for television! Now, surely a lot of us use that, or know that? I read that it was coined because television programming was foolish, included foolishness, and/or was watched by foolish people.

By the way, DO NOT look up the phrase without including "television" in the search... or you will be sorry... I leave the reason to your imagination.

In 2010 someone explained the word's meaning too. Then there are those using it to mean an error, even in the game, as in "it's a boob in the game." A few people even call themselves boobs for not remembering something in a game.

I have the feeling when the weekend is over there will be a new word on the censored list!

Edited on 09/28/2014 at 9:40:06 AM PST

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Sep 28, 14 9:45 AM
mrm2006 wrote:To the individual who started the "boob" conversation - I AM SO VERY SORRY FOR SENDING YOU A PM AND CALLING YOU A DORK I thought you were being funny. My humblest apologies.

I am begging .... please no one look up the definition of the word dork. Pretty please! Just don't do it. It will not end well.

ETA: And yes I got the PM and yes I was trying to be funny and no I am not offended. The PM was actually appreciated - dorkiness and all.

Edited on 09/28/2014 at 9:50:03 AM PST

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Sep 28, 14 11:46 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:
I have the feeling when the weekend is over there will be a new word on the censored list![/size]
ROFL · LOL . . . You might be right! In the meantime,
librarians are scrambling for ways to compete with the "boob-tube."

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Sep 28, 14 12:02 PM
My daughter just reminded me of the "booby prize!" We used to get those at children's birthday parties! It wasn't a bad thing, it was fun.

Then there is the "booby trap." Not meant to trap the birds known as boobies, but men who are silly or stupid enough to get trapped, and become "boobies" as a result.

I learned that the word comes from the Spanish word for "stupid, idiot, clown, funny man," which happens to be "bobo." That explains a common clown name being Bobo. Not necessarily stupid, but bumbling in a comic way.

The human anatomy use is from a German dialectical, "bubbi."

Jeez... what a way to spend my day off! Actually, I love words and their origins!

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Sep 28, 14 2:12 PM
Hey Everyone,

It looks like while this thread originally started on the topic of the story behind the game, it's gotten quite a bit off topic, which is contrary to the Forum Rules, specifically:

Make sure your posts are constructive and add to the conversation on the forums. Posting just to "level up" or "bump" discussions is considered SPAM. Posts that are not game related will be removed.

Since the thread is no longer on topic, it will now need to be locked.

Thank you all for understanding, and happy gaming!

bfgVaiya

Go to: