Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Realm: Queen of Flames here!

[Post New]by nowyouvedoneit on Oct 8, 14 7:01 AM
Absolutely Fantastic game!

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Oct 11, 14 10:11 AM
Wow all I can say is WOW! This is the best game I've seen in a long time. Mad Head always does well but this just knocks it out of the park.
The graphics are great, the storyline is great, and even the puzzles are fun to do. I hated to get to the end and played it again, something I never do. Great job developers!!! Can we have some more please!!

Terrible Game [Part 1 of 2]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Oct 12, 14 11:00 PM
(Part 1)

[First, Happy Columbus Day everybody!]

I'm in the minority again and I will not give a full detailed review, as I usually do. The excellent reviews before mine have given all the details of gameplay. I will just focus on why I hated this game.

The bottom line is that I did not feel like I was playing the game. I felt as if the game was playing me. That is, I want to be in full control when I play a game; but this game was way too controlling for my tastes. The game was very slow. Even when you first start the game, it makes a big production out of showing an animation before it displays all the links. Then, when you click Play, it seems to take forever for the game to start.

Next, there was an unforgivable sin in this game. It has the nerve to have a random-click penalty in the HOPs. That's unforgivable in my book. And to add insult to injury, the game even has a Custom Difficulty mode, which I used. But when I saw there was no option to turn off the random-click penalty (RCP), I knew there would be one in the game, and I was right. This infuriated me. How on earth can you have a Custom Difficulty and not allow a person to turn of the RCP. Then, when you invoked the penalty, it had the nerve to reprimand you. "Don't click so fast. It's better if you take the time to think." How dare the developers lecture me and tell me how to play a game, when I have been playing video games since 1977 on the Atari 2600 VCS. Don't tell me how to have fun.

Next, the cutscenes were too numerous, too long, and too boring, so I wanted to Skip them. Many times, the Skip button did not work. Even when it did, it didn't skip everything. It would play the animation for about 5 seconds, before Skip appeared. Then when you click on it, it stops the main animation, but continues with the ending animation. So even though you want to Skip the cutscenes, you still have to watch about 10-12 seconds of them.

Next, the game had mini-animations for most of the things you clicked and I couldn't stand that. In one example you zoom in on an area with 3 ropes and you have to cut them. You click on your Knife and then you click on one rope and have to watch in anguish, as it cuts the rope THREE times. Then it also cuts Ropes 2 and 3, THREE times for a total of NINE cuts you have to painfully watch. Then, you pick up the object. In my book, I want to click once with the knife, have all 3 ropes cut, then click again to pick up the item.

(See Part 2)

Edited on 10/13/2014 at 2:47:34 AM PST

Terrible Game [Part 2 of 2]

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Oct 12, 14 11:04 PM
(Part 2)

(Rope Story): For me, cutting the ropes should take 2 seconds. The way they did it, it took 12-15 seconds to go through all this nonsense to pick up the item.

Next, I don't like HOGs to start with, but these were some of the worse ones I have played. Very difficult. Most scenes were dark and many items were miniscule. Also, I didn't like most of the mini-games. In one, you have to move blocks around to be able to move the block with the key to the other side with the lock. I love those types of games, but they even messed this up. First, you had to move the key from right to left. That's backwards. You should move from left to right because that's how we read and that's how our minds work. Second, you could not move the key around. You had to move all the other blocks to create a path and then the key moved by itself to the lock. I didn't like that. Even with a good game, it messed it up. There's a card game where you have to get 3 Dragons to win. Throughout the game, the opponent keeps talking and it was so annoying.

One of the biggest annoyances was the black bar at the top of the screen with messages in it. The bar was misplaced and kept blocking the Close Window Icon or the items at the top of HOGs. It was bad programming to put the black bar there and the bar was overused,

Finally, virtually every time I entered a new scene, I wanted to click on something or check the Strategy Guide, or do whatever I wanted to do. I'm the one playing the game and I should control it. Invariably, no matter where I clicked or what I tried to do, nothing would happen. That's because you had to click on a character or something else in the scene, and have a conversation or watch a cutscene before you regained control of the cursor and could do what you wanted.

The bottom line for me was that the devs were more concerned with justifying their own existence and having a ball creating all the cutscenes and animations that were fun for them, but irriating for the player. At least they were for me.

I do NOT recommend this game and I give it 2 Thumbs Down.

I rate this game a 4 out of 10.

(End of Review)

Edited on 10/16/2014 at 10:49:19 PM PST

javajule
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

CE worth it for the music alone

[Post New]by javajule on Oct 13, 14 11:42 AM
I had to logon to express my appreciation for such a well crafted game. The creativity and production values really show. And the music is stellar!

[Post New]by TheSower on Oct 14, 14 6:16 AM
So Far It has been Fun ..... Stuck in the Queens waiting room though

javajule
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

please tell the composer(s)

[Post New]by javajule on Oct 23, 14 10:19 AM
I would buy the 'Lullaby' on iTunes. I leave it up playing in the background while I'm working as it is so beautiful. Worth the CE just for that alone, not to mention everything else. Top quality game!

ViviOlivi
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Absolutely Amazing Game! 100% Rating!

[Post New]by ViviOlivi on Oct 24, 14 6:30 PM
I have played numerous games on Big Fish, but none have been this engaging!

I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of this game, as well as the storyline. I can't seem to stop playing! (I really don't want to stop, either!)

Never before have I given any game a 100% rating. "Dark Realm: Queen of Flames" deserves it! A+++

Highly recommended!

out of 5!!

**Developers: Please continue to create and release this type of game, with excellent visuals, great challenges, and an amazing storyline!

bluejen
Clownfish
Clownfish
702 Posts

[Post New]by bluejen on Oct 24, 14 10:40 PM
Fun, fun, fun! Everyone else has gone into the details. This was an edge of your seat game. The ending went on way too long, imo. Bonus chapter will have to wait. Exhausted just from playing!

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Nov 12, 14 6:03 PM
Great game and fully enjoyed playing it and really, really glad I got the CE edition !
Storyline, graphics, music mini games, HOG scene's, just a great game .!
I almost always read reviews before I invest in a game, especially CE's and thanks to the fine reviews I did choose the CE since I enjoy collectables and morphing objects and in this game, even after missing 4 morphs and two flames I was able to enter the 'extras' and replay and collect all the collectables happy fishie

For this winner I'm giving a full out of a possible 5

Well done developers

Played on PC - Windows 7/64bit

edit: I went back after posting this review and replaying many of the HOG scenes which I normally don't do...It is nice to replay the better ones back to back and not be distracted by the storyline to follow

Edited on 11/13/2014 at 11:10:35 PM PST

guppy3
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by guppy3 on Nov 30, 14 8:21 PM
Well I'm glad that's over. Didn't bother with the bonus game because I had had enough. Bought the CE because the initial chapter drew me in and the reviews were great. But it quickly became too gimmicky for me. Graphics were great and storyline was clear but solving every problem and overcoming ever obstacle by zapping something was just too contrived for me. Definitely not a game I'll replay anytime soon, if ever.

Pashta
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Pashta on Dec 24, 14 9:17 AM
This was a wonderful game with amazing music. I totally loved it.

Error by the fire altar - chapter 7

[Post New]by Mikel__D on Feb 6, 15 1:23 PM

Can the fire altar in the left valve the magic fire did not take. Already have tried everything possible, but simply no response. Also uninstall, reinstall and re-start without virus was unsuccessful.
A pity, it's a nice game and since I have almost, I would like to play it to the end.
By the way, a friend told me today the same, and it comes in the same place no further. You can not save the magical fire also.
Has anyone an idea to resolved the bug ?

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on May 17, 15 9:36 AM
All I can say is WOW!!! Amazing game. It was like being in an action adventure movie as the lead star....to really get the full effects of the game a player must engage in the story line and I know some like to skip the story and get right into it but the story is a huge part of engaging in it.....I'm at the half-way point and I don't want this game to end...it's amazing how this developer can find new and innovative ideas to put in a game genre that has been the same old same old for so long. Die hard gamers that play HOGS, FROGS, all the time get so board with the same old mold over and over....but this game blew me away...so I say a great big thank you to BFG and Mad Head Games for making this game....Top of the line in my opinion!!!

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Aug 17, 15 8:37 PM
I absolutely loved this game. This game was very different --the puzzles, the HOs, and the storyline. I really like being able to go back in the extras to find items I missed, which was just about everything because I became so absorbed in the storyline and action on the screen, I forgot to look for collectibles. The puzzles seemed so easy, but definitely were not easy!!! I took a look a lot of breaks(LOL).

Go to: