How Come?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:How Come?

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 9, 14 2:25 PM
Thanks Rhonayotte.

Yeah - I saw Jessica as well. (This is for Jessica which has nothing to do with my reaction to BF) She is so adorable (BF Katy Perry lookalike) - and she should go to Hollywood LOL. Jessica you have awesome stage presence, gal. You need to get out of the boring city of Seattle (such a dreadful city - believe me folks) and witness the brighter lights and sunshine of LA!

When you see the "big push" you have to know something is amiss. Maybe we all need to become "Nancy Drew" and figure out the WHY of this big push? Ya think?

All of you have changed into something. I personally don't care. Have played games for years on this site and this all the further I have gotten - I am slow I guess. However, I still want my next step up the fish ladder to be Kahuna Tuna on a mini surfboard with awesome sunglasses. Actually, I want to be a Kahuna Tuna and never ever change my status.

Edited on 10/09/2014 at 2:56:02 PM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Oct 9, 14 3:25 PM
At the risk of being stomped on , I didn't mind the helper - he reminds me of the imp in Dragon Mountain: The Stryx, and its sequel.

I was thankful, however, that we don't have to buy stuff for his special room!

The things we do give him (in the demo) are suited to the need at the time - a miner's helmet with a light, and later a shield and sword (I think that's what it was) to go and scare the crows. I also had to laugh at the way he sidles up to his target - quite funny

I can't remember why I didn't get the first game. I may have to try it again. As for this one, I will think about it. As others have commented, getting an SE game of very high quality with CE bells and whistles, barring the SG, certainly has put this game in the shade!

Jen

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 9, 14 3:47 PM
rhonayotte wrote:BF is definitely pushing this particular game for some reason. On the Big Fish Games Facebook page, Jessica (the one who does the weekly release videos) has a special video posted just for this game. Jessica claims it's the best game she's ever played and she gushes with excitement over it. I'm not sure I have ever seen BF promote a game so much, and with glowing reviews and recommendations. With the exception of course to their yearly Mystery Case Files game hints usually starting on Halloween (actually just the speculation thread).

I am wondering if BF liked the game enough to release it, but possibly with an addendum from the developer to promote it? We really don't have a clue what their contract is with each developers.

If I decide to buy the game, I will, but only because I like it and not because BF is making such a big to do over it.

Well, it's not the WORST game I've ever played but I will say with confidence that there is NO way it could be the best. I will take MCF Dire Grove as my all-time favorite or any game by a developer with a name like a strangely colored beverage popular in the UK over this one. Last year's MCF game is really good, too, and I'm hoping against hope that this year there will be another MCF winner.

I don't know what's going on here. Why the push for this game out of all the games BF offers? There is nothing great about it.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 9, 14 3:53 PM
Badgerrrt wrote:
Jurinne wrote:Hey! I just turned into a clownfish!

HeHeHe.....I turned into a SQUID the other day!

I couldn't stand being a herring. I think that one was the worst. And it lasted for what seemed like forever.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 9, 14 4:38 PM
It warms my heart to read all these positive and happy comments.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Oct 9, 14 5:30 PM
snapnhiss wrote:It warms my heart to read all these positive and happy comments.

You read my mind. Those were my thoughts exactly while reading this thread! I just love all the shiny happy people around here .

[Post New]by plainjayne55 on Oct 9, 14 5:39 PM
Good Golly Miss Molly .... someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed! I don't understand why so many are getting their panties all bunched up over something as menial as a game, simply... a form of entertainment .... There isn't a single, solitary person who is bound by some dark force into purchasing anything from Big Fish. I also don't know of one who is also bound to hop on over to the Theater to see a new release of a movie!! Just as with the Theater, many critics will have different opinions and reviews and the same applies here. I'm literally shaking my head thinking, I opened my folder this morning and the important task for me was to take care of one of my elderly Alzheimer patients, who could no more write their own name, let alone wipe after using the toilet. But, what was important today was to make that persons life just a little brighter by singing a silly song or dancing a silly dance to create a simple reaction and smile! I have a friend who was just given a few months left on this perplexing planet .... and that my friends ... is something to get your panties "bunched up" over ( leaving behind three little faces that love their mommy to the MOON and back). So what, if words were written about League of Light: Wicked Harvest Collector's Edition ... it is just a game. If you don't want to play, take your ball and go home. I don't purchase a game over reviews every time - I may purchase a game simply because I want some time to myself and relax. If I feel it may help take away being an adult and finding the "kid" in me, I darn well will buy a game for that reason. I have purchased, what I thought were silly games that received 5 stars in ratings, and it didn't ruin my week. I don't typically respond and only have 20 posts to my credit, as I have seen grown adults battling over a game and words that may have been written. Many will stand on their firmly planted pedestals, shouting through the roof top about my post. And frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn! I will purchase this game or I might not ... never know what the moon over Miami will tell! P.S. Way to go to all who advanced in their ranking of sea creatures ... I think it is neat and a smooth (and frankly a little sneaky) way to add a little humor to the different posts!!

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 9, 14 6:08 PM
plainjayne55 wrote:...I opened my folder this morning and the important task for me was to take care of one of my elderly Alzheimer patients, who could no more write their own name, let alone wipe after using the toilet. But, what was important today was to make that persons life just a little brighter by singing a silly song or dancing a silly dance to create a simple reaction and smile!...

My dad is in a home due to his dementia and my maternal grandmother passed away from it (so guess what my future holds). I thank you for the hard work you do. If you drink, here's a

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 9, 14 6:13 PM

This game is, at best, average .

If this was deemed an "Editor's Choice," that does not bode well.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 9, 14 6:20 PM
steve_san wrote:

I happen to like the game a lot but I appreciate the way your gave a less than glowing comment without insulting either the developers or the people like me that enjoyed playing this.

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Oct 9, 14 7:10 PM
I actually quite enjoyed the game myself. But I hope that the BETA test reviews go on to EVERY game page and not just this one!

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Oct 9, 14 8:32 PM
This is a pretty good game. The art is wonderful, it's very atmospheric and some of the mini-games are a bit better than usual. But MCF good? Nope.

It's a bit short. There's no morphing objects. Collectibles are a bit skimpy. But that's just dressing it up. The main issue is that it simply isn't challenging. The last 3 MCF games had me making deals with myself before checking the strategy guide (just back-track one more time and then...) This game doesn't come anywhere near that.

It's a lovely game but I think I would have liked it better if it was less hyped.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Oct 9, 14 11:52 PM
plainjayne55 wrote:Good Golly Miss Molly .... someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed! I don't understand why so many are getting their panties all bunched up over something as menial as a game, simply... a form of entertainment .... There isn't a single, solitary person who is bound by some dark force into purchasing anything from Big Fish. I also don't know of one who is also bound to hop on over to the Theater to see a new release of a movie!! Just as with the Theater, many critics will have different opinions and reviews and the same applies here. I'm literally shaking my head thinking, I opened my folder this morning and the important task for me was to take care of one of my elderly Alzheimer patients, who could no more write their own name, let alone wipe after using the toilet. But, what was important today was to make that persons life just a little brighter by singing a silly song or dancing a silly dance to create a simple reaction and smile! I have a friend who was just given a few months left on this perplexing planet .... and that my friends ... is something to get your panties "bunched up" over ( leaving behind three little faces that love their mommy to the MOON and back). So what, if words were written about League of Light: Wicked Harvest Collector's Edition ... it is just a game. If you don't want to play, take your ball and go home. I don't purchase a game over reviews every time - I may purchase a game simply because I want some time to myself and relax. If I feel it may help take away being an adult and finding the "kid" in me, I darn well will buy a game for that reason. I have purchased, what I thought were silly games that received 5 stars in ratings, and it didn't ruin my week. I don't typically respond and only have 20 posts to my credit, as I have seen grown adults battling over a game and words that may have been written. Many will stand on their firmly planted pedestals, shouting through the roof top about my post. And frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn! I will purchase this game or I might not ... never know what the moon over Miami will tell! P.S. Way to go to all who advanced in their ranking of sea creatures ... I think it is neat and a smooth (and frankly a little sneaky) way to add a little humor to the different posts!!
VERY WELL SAID..............I LOST MY MOM TO THAT HORRID NO CURE ILLNESS LAST YEAR..........LOVE GOES OUT TO THE PEOPLE WHO CAN DEAL WITH SUCH SADNESS.........

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Oct 10, 14 12:41 AM
I've enjoyed the game so far (more than I thought I would, since I wasn't in the mood for something spooky, but when it's my birthday, I must buy something shiny and new for me. The only thing that's bugging me is how dense the detective is. If this dude is supposed to be the best the League of Light can send, and it takes him how long to put together people's before and after identities?! Obviously, I need to apply, because I'd have a job for life. "I can't believe ______ saved _____!" Are you kidding me?!

[Post New]by BroomHildy on Oct 10, 14 10:20 AM
BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote:I've enjoyed the game so far (more than I thought I would, since I wasn't in the mood for something spooky, but when it's my birthday, I must buy something shiny and new for me. The only thing that's bugging me is how dense the detective is. If this dude is supposed to be the best the League of Light can send, and it takes him how long to put together people's before and after identities?! Obviously, I need to apply, because I'd have a job for life. "I can't believe ______ saved _____!" Are you kidding me?!

Well happy birthday to you!

No, this isn't the best game ever, but it's different enough that it's fun. And at risk of offending those who don't like helpers, I really like the little scarecrow!

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Oct 10, 14 12:37 PM
snapnhiss wrote:
steve_san wrote:

I happen to like the game a lot but I appreciate the way your gave a less than glowing comment without insulting either the developers or the people like me that enjoyed playing this.

Thank you snapnhiss.

Is it necessary to add that if I think a GAME is just OK (or great, or terrible), that is not meant to disparage any PERSON who holds a different opinion? In fact, a friend of mine absolutely LOVES this game.

She's still my friend (last I checked).

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Oct 10, 14 3:58 PM
OMG, it's one of those games with a "helper"? [Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 10/10/2014 at 5:59:31 PM PST

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Oct 10, 14 10:52 PM
I think that some fishies are "getting their panties in a bunch" because this is the first time that reviews from the beta test have been used to promote a game. I myself have beta tested a couple of games in the past year, and found them to be of the same old storyline. Others have posted their comments on the game forum from the beta test when the game has come out. Using the reviews from the beta test seems to be another gimmick to promote the game, especially if BFG only uses the glowing reviews and doesn't use all the reviews. IMO, I didn't find anything extraordinary in this game to make it so special. If anything, I would buy the SE when it comes out.

[Post New]by BoomchuckPxyNiki on Oct 10, 14 11:53 PM
BroomHildy wrote:
BoomchuckPxyNiki wrote:I've enjoyed the game so far (more than I thought I would, since I wasn't in the mood for something spooky, but when it's my birthday, I must buy something shiny and new for me. The only thing that's bugging me is how dense the detective is. If this dude is supposed to be the best the League of Light can send, and it takes him how long to put together people's before and after identities?! Obviously, I need to apply, because I'd have a job for life. "I can't believe ______ saved _____!" Are you kidding me?!

Well happy birthday to you!

No, this isn't the best game ever, but it's different enough that it's fun. And at risk of offending those who don't like helpers, I really like the little scarecrow!

Thank you! So far, 31 is... rainy. Very rainy. Still, gotta hope it'll be better than 30 was.

The little scarecrow is adorable (I, for one, welcome our little helper overlords... (though I do understand why some find a few of them annoying, but I'm artsy, and I enjoy dressing up little animals and mystical beings--if I could ever finish my graphic design degree (turns out that having a completed degree already makes finding financial aid nearly impossible for adding on another bachelor's degree, and since I only teach part time... *sigh*), I'd be doing dress-up things of some sort as a career)), and for the most part, I really did love the game. I just wanted to reach through the monitor and slap the protagonist upside the head a few times because he kept missing the obvious, and I do mean painfully obvious.

In another note, I'm a little too fond of parentheses, I've noticed...

Edited on 10/10/2014 at 11:53:51 PM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 11, 14 1:27 AM
I just want to thank Hippyfishie, Plainjayne and any others who I know I have missed for speaking out on the griping and negativism on these forums.

I do not believe that people who prefer to keep their lives and their comments up-beat are in the minority on this board....but I do believe that a lot of them have become discouraged and left the forum rather than fight the oppressiveness and often the open aggressiveness of people who feel that it is all right to say pretty much anything they want as long as they say "In my opinion" or "I hope I don't offend anybody" and then commence to rant about everything from the "inadequacy of the games today"....the lack of quality control that results in poor grammar in the English of the games that are made in countries that do not speak English as a mother tongue and for games that are produced in more than one language.....we also have constant gripes on there not being any good sales or that membership does not payoff as well as it used to and gripes about pretty much everything Big Fish going downhill.

The people who are doing the griping defend it is positive criticism that gets them the games they want, but Negative comments BREED negativity, as seen by all the people who want to jump in and agree that everything has gone down the toilet.

Real Positive criticism offers choices for what you would like to see as change, and offers positive reinforcement for what has been done. it does not claim that
"This is the worst game ever" in caps....or using the words Repulsive and Nauseating in a review.

I frankly feel half the reviews are now made to just show people how clever they are rather than being helpful to either the developers or Big Fish or their customers.

If I was half as unhappy as most of the negative forum posts suggest people are, I would not be posting at the Big Fish Forums. I would be some place else all together and doing something else that I enjoyed.
That leads me to conclude, that on some level, the negative posters enjoy what they are doing....which is frankly killing off these forums the same way you killed off the Chit Chat Corner.

I am ashamed of all of you that think that you can come on the internet and use freedom of speech to allow you to disregard manners and basic respect for people to "have your own say" because it is your right to state your opinion.
Well, I am stating my opinion that you are behaving more like a bunch of twelve year olds than the adults you purport to be.

Go to: