tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

Re:To Devs bfgWendwater, bfgMurrumbidgee, bfgVaiya, bfgGlithui and any other Dev

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Oct 16, 14 5:42 PM
whitebutterfly54 wrote:Forgive me for seeming incredibly dense. In the new computer scenario, if the game is saved on the server, why wouldn't I get it back when I sign into BF? Isn't that my profile, my name and password? Exactly what info is saved on their server and what info is saved on my computer?

I just want to be as sure as I can possibly be that my progress in the game is saved.
Certain games use the server as well as your hard drive to store game save. Games that use the game manager log-in, a few are Bush **** 2, Rooms of Memory, Aviator, Hidden Express. Some games use a email address to save the progress.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

Re:To Devs bfgWendwater, bfgMurrumbidgee, bfgVaiya, bfgGlithui and any other Dev

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Oct 17, 14 12:41 PM
To the mods:

When posting on update page about what is in a update, more info would be nice. The last 2 updates for the PC version just has fixes bugs and other problems. I personally would like to know what bugs and other problems were fixed. Just saying fixes bugs and other problems doesn't say much. Are we suppose to guess what was fixed and what was not? I have seen other games update pages and they tell all the problems fixed. Just like software I download, I always have to read what is in the update and what bugs / problems were fixed. If they don't have a page of the update and what bugs / problems were fixed, I stay away from downloading and don't recommend it to anyone as it just shows poor customers relations. I would be happy to see more info since I play the game Don't the players have the right to know what is in the update and what is fixed? I hope you consider this as it is disappointing have 2 updates and just basic info saying fixes bugs and other problems.

eastendteddy
Salmon
Salmon
2,821 Posts

[Post New]by eastendteddy on Oct 17, 14 1:13 PM
Here here Tazruby very well said now lets see who listens.
Randy

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Oct 19, 14 4:08 AM
I would like to see more info on the bug fixes too with an update, tazruby

Though maybe the last update should have read: more bugs added!!

Closed my game in the correct manner last night as always and it didn't save I have been closing it more frequently and to me it's no biggie as I'm waiting on the next content update and swimming in coins but how frustrating it must be for players doing the quests and then having to do them again because of lost progress. I read about it happening more often

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Oct 19, 14 4:59 AM
FudgeChi wrote:

LOL
------------------------------------------------
bugga about your game not saving

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Oct 19, 14 5:29 AM
govegril wrote:
FudgeChi wrote:

LOL
------------------------------------------------
bugga about your game not saving

It was! Thank goodness it didn't really matter to me (except I got a new high score but just done even better again assuming it saves this time) but, oh my, imagine if it had been when we had to visit the binding egg 6 or more times

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Oct 19, 14 8:21 AM
bfgGlithui wrote:Hi rosiebvt,

The steps in that thread to back up the save data are indeed really helpful, but it's not a guarantee that the steps will help everyone to back up their games since there are various computer configurations that are available.

Since we're unable to verify that the steps are guaranteed to work to restore the game for every system out there, we're unable to add it to the Helpful Links thread at this time.

I hope this helps, but you can definitely PM me or one of the Mods if there are still questions!

bfgGlithui

bfgGlithui,
Even if there is no guarantee this will work, I think having the info easily available to all (PC) players could only help. Include a disclaimer saying this "might" help or is not guaranteed or whatever is the appropriate language for the legal guys. Worst case is that a player loses a game and has to hope Tech Support can do something, which happens now to everyone who runs into this particular situation without backing up. Best case is you have people salvaging their own games, continuing to play without complaining, and with any luck spending money because they're satisfied. If could very well reduce the number of lost games for TS to have to work on and their glitch backlog. I think it could improve player morale as well. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.
Rose

sbaker2318
Manatee
Manatee
4,187 Posts

[Post New]by sbaker2318 on Oct 19, 14 8:35 AM
Well said, Rosie!

clickingaway
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by clickingaway on Oct 20, 14 1:16 PM
tazruby2000 wrote:If they saved the game before playing, all that progress would be safe. If they would leave the game up and running and the game logged them out, I could see the progress not being saved since the game would not recognize as a exit game. I have had the game not save but it was only selling inventory for coins, It happened after I clicked on the gear icon and the game just closed, the screen with the exit game didn't show. The losing of the inventory could be caused by many things as the files are changed and bugs will appear. (Example) I play My Singing Monsters, I started when the pc version came out and everything was fine. I downloaded a update in December and had choppy audio, not to many had the problem but a few. They adjusted a misaligned cursor and that thrown everything out of whack. That just shows that there may be problems with the way the OS, computer configurations and game could be causing some of the issues. But I would say most of it is the way the game is programmed and is not properly tested it before releasing it.

Tazruby,

Game progress is not saved on our computers, it is saved on the server. LizzieK used to play the same game at work and at home and she could pick up right where she left off from either location. She explains it here:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/289932.page#5744409

I recently lost my game so I installed my back up app data that was saved a week earlier and when I got back into my game all the progress I'd made since I backed up the game was still there. That's proof to me that our progress is saved on the server and not on our computers.

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 1:17:11 PM PST

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Oct 20, 14 1:24 PM
Clicking away, now I'm confused. Isn't that what tazruby is saying too in his thread about saving the folder? And what LizzieK referenced?

clickingaway
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by clickingaway on Oct 20, 14 2:06 PM
FudgeChi,

Tazruby thinks the game saves itself on our computers. If this were the case then when I lost my game and installed my backup, which was made a week earlier, then I would have lost a week worth of progress but I didn't. I picked up right where I left off.

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Oct 20, 14 2:09 PM
Ah, or I don't know if I mean hmm. I'm not sure he does but he'll come on and say. But you had to restore the saved file we all keep saving? I know it's mostly saved on the server but we need that file so it knows who and where we were at, is that right? If so then I totally get it and it makes sense!!

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Oct 20, 14 2:13 PM
clickingaway wrote:
Game progress is not saved on our computers, it is saved on the server. LizzieK used to play the same game at work and at home and she could pick up right where she left off from either location. She explains it here:

I recently lost my game so I installed my back up app data that was saved a week earlier and when I got back into my game all the progress I'd made since I backed up the game was still there. That's proof to me that our progress is saved on the server and not on our computers.
I kinda of know what I am talking about, the game is saved on your computer. I have worked with computers 20 years so I do have knowledge. If you used a back-up that shows the game save is part of the files that is needed for recovering the game, that is why they call it a game save. So someone says that the files are not on your computer, don't use my back-up guide and see what happens when you lose your game and wait for the developers to recover it. And your post was confusing since you said it was saved on the server but not on the computer. But you got your game back with a back-up. So what does that say about the files on a computer hard drive.

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 2:41:48 PM PST

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Oct 20, 14 2:15 PM
FudgeChi wrote:Clicking away, now I'm confused. Isn't that what tazruby is saying too in his thread about saving the folder? And what LizzieK referenced?
They don't know what they are talking about, the game is saved on your computer hard drive and the server

FudgeChi
Flounder
Flounder
2,380 Posts

[Post New]by FudgeChi on Oct 20, 14 2:16 PM
All I know, tazruby, is that I'm going to keep saving that file daily And thanks I thought it was both.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Oct 20, 14 2:20 PM
clickingaway wrote:FudgeChi,

Tazruby thinks the game saves itself on our computers? If this were the case then when I lost my game and installed my backup, which was made a week earlier, then I would have lost a week worth of progress but I didn't. I picked up right where I left off.
Do you like coming on here starting drama. I never said the server didn't have files, so don't make my mind up for me. I know that there is files on the server and have known that since I started the game but the files on your computer hard drive are part of the files that are needed to run the game and to save progress.

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:02:23 PM PST

clickingaway
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by clickingaway on Oct 20, 14 4:22 PM
tazruby2000 wrote:
clickingaway wrote:

I kinda of know what I am talking about, the game is saved on your computer. I have worked with computers 20 years so I do have knowledge. If you used a back-up that shows the game save is part of the files that is needed for recovering the game, that is why they call it a game save. So someone says that the files are not on your computer, don't use my back-up guide and see what happens when you lose your game and wait for the developers to recover it. And your post was confusing since you said it was saved on the server but not on the computer. But you got your game back with a back-up. So what does that say about the files on a computer hard drive.

TazRuby,

I've been working with computers since the 70's. I bought my first PC for my home in 1984 and I've been using them ever since. So I've been using them for over 30 years.

My game was backed up a week before I lost it. If the game was saved on my desktop how is it that I was able to install my backup and still have the progress I'd made between the time I made the back up and when I lost the game?

edited to add: You do need to save your game file at least once after each update because it contains your game's unique identifier and added content from the update but you don't need to save it daily because your progress is saved on the server. This is why you can install the same game at home and at another location and go back and forth between them. You can pick up right where you left off without having to carry your thumb drive with you and install the a backup you made after you last played at the other location because your progress is saved on BFG's server.

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 4:46:08 PM PST

Drafe
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by Drafe on Oct 20, 14 4:38 PM
I also lost 21,000 gold worth of progress (Potion Shop, Living Chest, Carriage in the Metro Station) and had to pay to open those twice.

Not sure what I lost in intentory, but raising another 21k worth of gold hurt A LOT.

tazruby2000
Flounder
Flounder
2,399 Posts

[Post New]by tazruby2000 on Oct 20, 14 4:44 PM
clickingaway wrote:
I've been working with computers since the 70's. I bought my first PC in 1984 and I've been using them ever since. So I've been using them for over 30 years.

My game was backed up a week before I lost it. If the game was saved on my desktop how is it that I was able to install my backup and still have the progress I'd made between the time I made the back up and when I lost the game?
Whatever you think or say, I just don't care since I have posted has worked for many and got their game back and working.

[Post New]by bfgGlithui on Oct 22, 14 6:36 AM
Hi tazruby2000,

Thank you for providing your feedback about how you'd like to see more information on updates and what they're fixing. I can definitely see how it would be helpful to know exactly what is being updated when updates are released.

That being said, when we receive precise and specific information about what updates fix, we include that information in the announcements about updates.

Sometimes, updates are released by the developers to improve performance or to provide general optimization, so it's not a specific issue or error that's being fixed within the game.

I can promise that whenever the mods do receive specific information about what updates fix, they'll be included in the update announcements.

As a friendly reminder, I'd also like to remind everyone to be respectful of others per our Forum Rules. I hope the posts can continue to be constructive and helpful in this thread.

If you still have questions, please PM one of the mods and we'd be happy to help!

bfgGlithui

Edited on 10/22/2014 at 7:53:34 AM PST

Go to: