"cutesy" again?!?

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

Re:"cutesy" again?!?

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 19, 14 8:45 PM
Persistent_Cat wrote:I've been on this site forever, helpers aren't new. For years they've been used to give hints. Awakenings and Mystery Trackers has been using helpers for awhile now to gather inventory items and move the game along.

Only a small fraction of Big Fish customers use the forums so 8 people complaining isn't enough for them to stop everything and start telling developers what to do. They look at sales. People are obviously buying them.

The first few Mystery Trackers did NOT have a helper! They were much better games for it. I enjoyed Raincliff very much, and Elf was not in it. In fact, you get Elf in Black Isle, the third game. You find him chained up, and in the walk-through they actually refer to him as "the elf." He was a naked dog, as dogs should be (unless they live in freezing climates and need sweaters!). From the fourth game on he is called "Elf," no "the," and begins wearing clothes. By the latest, Blackrow's Secret Elf has morphed into some creature barely resembling a Chihuahua at all! He looked more like a baby chupacabra! Not a "cute" helper, and adds nothing to the game.

As for Awakenings I can't say. They are already easier and cuter games than Mystery Trackers, so a helper may fit in better.

It's also a matter, for me, that the helpers get a room or house to outfit as "extras." In the new Dark Dimensions game there is a helper with his own room. He could have been a real helper (highlight to read), as he is a police dog, but he is "cutified" in the game. I demoed enough to "buy" him a stereo system!

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 19, 14 9:19 PM
twinsoniclab wrote:
Persistent_Cat wrote:I've been on this site forever, helpers aren't new. For years they've been used to give hints. Awakenings and Mystery Trackers has been using helpers for awhile now to gather inventory items and move the game along.

Only a small fraction of Big Fish customers use the forums so 8 people complaining isn't enough for them to stop everything and start telling developers what to do. They look at sales. People are obviously buying them.

The first few Mystery Trackers did NOT have a helper!

Ok ok, take it easy, no need to jump down my throat. I didn't say they all did, I'm just saying they aren't new.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 19, 14 10:48 PM
Persistent_Cat wrote:
twinsoniclab wrote:

Ok ok, take it easy, no need to jump down my throat. I didn't say they all did, I'm just saying they aren't new.

Uhhh... I didn't think I "jumped down (your) throat." No need for me to "take it easy" either, I wasn't upset or wound up in the least! Still aren't. (The capitalization of "NOT" was only to help readers know what word to emphasize, not to indicate any irritation.)

My point was the early games in series that now have helpers were better games. Coincidence? Maybe... but I see a connection!

The new Living Legends has a scene with an animal that helps, but he isn't a helper. Highlight to read... you free a wild cat, like a leopard, and he frantically jumps away, knocking a ladder down. You pick up the ladder after he is gone and use it. There you have a perfect use of a helper that is reasonable, realistic, and not cutesy! I have nothing against cutesy animals, I have eight in my home (3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 Guinea pigs and a baby rat)!

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Oct 20, 14 3:41 AM
sunnyglow wrote:This birdbrained idea was probably hatched by BF themselves or by one of the devs (and I know who it is - the same dev who likes a menagerie of animals).

Hey - BF- why don't you listen to your steady customers? If even one-third of your players DO NOT LIKE THEM -doesn't it make sense to get rid of them? Huh? Or is this someone trying to prove a point? Also, I have noticed the 4 stars for this game. From what I am observing - most do not like this game. Hiding some of the negative reviews, BF?

My advice (and what do I know being a "youngin") is to NOT PURCHASE the games with helpers. If BF's revenue from games starts to go down, they will eventually get the devs to eliminate them. Hate the helpers and hated this game.

The quality of games is going down, down down from what it was a few years ago. Hey - BF - if it wasn't broken - why are you trying to fix it?

Wow, I'm amazed at the accusations aimed at BF . Because of this I would definitely never take your advice. As I want to keep this forum positive I will say no more about it.
If I remember my math correctly though, 33 1/3% doesn't get you a majority .

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 3:44:57 AM PST

[Post New]by Persistent_Cat on Oct 20, 14 4:31 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:
Persistent_Cat wrote:
twinsoniclab wrote:

Uhhh... I didn't think I "jumped down (your) throat." No need for me to "take it easy" either, I wasn't upset or wound up in the least! Still aren't. (The capitalization of "NOT" was only to help readers know what word to emphasize, not to indicate any irritation.)

My point was the early games in series that now have helpers were better games. Coincidence? Maybe... but I see a connection!

The new Living Legends has a scene with an animal that helps, but he isn't a helper. Highlight to read... you free a wild cat, like a leopard, and he frantically jumps away, knocking a ladder down. You pick up the ladder after he is gone and use it. There you have a perfect use of a helper that is reasonable, realistic, and not cutesy! I have nothing against cutesy animals, I have eight in my home (3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 Guinea pigs and a baby rat)!

The caps and the exclamation point come off as aggressive. Without those two, your comment would have read as if you were calmly discussing something. If everyone were more careful with their tone, there would be far fewer fight on these boards.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Oct 20, 14 2:40 PM
Hey Everyone

It looks like this thread is taking a little bit of a negative turn, and I'd like to give a friendly reminder of the Forum Rules, especially:

Treat others with respect. Harassing, attacking, threatening, provoking, calling unwanted attention to, name-calling, insulting, or bothering other users, moderators, or Big Fish employees on the forums will not be tolerated. Play nice.

Now, in regards to the reviews posted for the game, we welcome both positive and negative reviews for all of our games. As long as the reviews keep to the Review Guidelines, they will be approved and posted to the game's page.

Everyone has different opinions on which games they like and which ones they don't, as well as opinions on elements of the game. We want the forums to be a safe and friendly place where anyone can state their thoughts on a game, and we hope everyone can be respectful to differing opinions for a constructive conversation.

Thank you all for understanding, and hopefully this thread can move onto a more positive and constructive tone

bfgVaiya

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 20, 14 4:56 PM
I honestly don't see 1/3 of the Big Fish customers complaining about the games, Big Fish OR helpers, cutesy or not....when you look at how many views check out the game reviews, even discounting multiple viewings by one or two people.

What we have here is a highly unhappy and vocal minority of people who, if they were not complaining about helpers in the games, would find something else they are dissatisfied with.

It is not like there are games that do not have helpers.....but the furor about it makes it sound as if every game does have them.

I think some people make a lot of mole hills into mountains....but, I will not say what I think the mountains are made of......and god help anyone one of us who disagrees with the complainers, we get accused of being over-sensitive or childish.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 20, 14 7:19 PM
Just wondering...... Did everyone complete the last general survey that BigFish sent out, maybe 2-3 weeks ago? Not that I know how widespread the distribution was, but it seems likely it went to thousands of customers around the world.

The fact that the survey exists at all means that BigFish clearly felt the need to obtain a much larger sampling individual gamers' opinions than those represented here in these tiny forums.

It asked several questions pertaining to the "cutesy helper" controversy. It also asked several questions about other likes/dislikes of certain gaming trends such as the question of "cookie cutter" games, specifically what makes games feel too similar to other games here on the site.

There were also several questions relating to the difficulty level of games. Also many questions about puzzles and minigames -- what types, how many are preferred, skip buttons, etc.

Of course all answers are incredibly subjective! My perfect game is another person's worst game. Imagine being a developer and trying to meet the vocal demands here in these forums -- yet going on to sell millions of games around the world. What speaks louder -- a few vocal posters with their or millions of ?

I know you have to be signed up to receive their Game Splash (or at least one of whatever other newsletters they offer) in order for them to send you those generic gaming surveys. So if you want your voices heard, gotta sign up for those newsletters.

I sometimes trash them but this one was just too good!! It asked a boatload of questions and it could not have been more timely.

I guess my real point in posting this here is to say that the content of the survey proved to me that BigFish management is aware of the antipathy some (or is it many?) customers feel regarding certain gaming trends. So they did the survey to get answers from a wider group of players, not just those of us who come to the forums.

Just sayin'.

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 20, 14 7:52 PM
Hmmm... I get the daily email Game Splash and didn't get any survey from BFG ever, let alone a few weeks ago!

I am not currently a Club Member, if that matters. But, if it was sent to only members, that will skew the results. Club members will be happy with the way things are going, or else they wouldn't be members!

Edited on 10/20/2014 at 7:52:51 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 20, 14 8:18 PM
Excellent point about Game Club membership. I am a member, but LOL I've certainly thought in the past year that it may be coming time to split the sheets! Guess I'm still here cuz I'm finding enough games that work for me, but then I shop the whole BigFish library of games. They will always have more games than I'll have $$.

So back to your point Twin, perhaps it is dual criteria to receive the surveys -- Club membership and receipt of the newsletters.

Anyway, my initial point was that I was impressed that BigFish was asking a whole bunch of the right questions. I just don't know how they will quantify the answers. Then how can developers possibly develop games that will keep the greatest majority of gamers happy?

What a fine line we customers ask developers to walk in developing "good games". Such a subjective judgment, perhaps as many differing opinions as there are different customers.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 21, 14 3:15 AM
I totally agree with everything you have said, kdubs.

I'll have a scroll through my emails to find that survey. It's good to know that Big Fish does actually listen, so gamers who are so totally fed up with themes or the inclusion of 'helpers' can now know they have a voice. No need to continually shout about it in threads which, I think, only puts people into different camps and breeds negativity and controversy. It really shouldn't be like that here. Games are meant to be fun and make us leave our troubles behind for a while and the same should go for the gaming community here.

But anyway, what do I know? I like watching the Simpsons and found that the red Panda in Whispered Secrets: Into The Wind CE has the exact same growl as Marge Simpson when she's not happy with Homer. It's hilarious!

My real reason for posting this, though, pertains to numbers. The last figure I saw as to how many signed up members Big Fish has was a counter that was present before the CCC and other forums were taken down on 15th August 2013.

At that time there were well over 650,000 members. Now, just over 14 months on, what do we all think that figure has risen to?

My point - those of us who post here were always a needle in the haystack even when we had those forums. Now, we are just the head of a pin. The complaints about helpers are really very much in the minority.

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Oct 21, 14 6:01 AM
tookat wrote:What we have here is a highly unhappy and vocal minority of people who, if they were not complaining about helpers in the games, would find something else they are dissatisfied with.

Exactly

[Removed by Moderator]

Edited on 10/22/2014 at 5:27:43 PM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 21, 14 6:04 AM
Brendansoma1 wrote:
tookat wrote:What we have here is a highly unhappy and vocal minority of people who, if they were not complaining about helpers in the games, would find something else they are dissatisfied with.

Exactly

[Removed by Moderator]

I could not agree with both of you more!

ETA: Hang on.. that's really bad English on my part. I couldn't agree more with both of you... or... oh, flippety flip.... I totally agree with you, Tookat and Oma of Brendan

Edited on 10/22/2014 at 5:28:05 PM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 21, 14 7:31 AM
@tiger, that survey came to my inbox on October 3rd, titled "BigFish wants your feedback". It said to reply before October 7th to have results included in final tally.

Dog gone it, now it's too late, even if you find it. But it would still make for real interesting reading to see the questions they asked...that is if the link to the survey is still active. Hope you find it so you can see the effort was made to reach out to customers with some very timely questions.

Tauret
Marlin
Marlin
8,157 Posts

[Post New]by Tauret on Oct 21, 14 9:41 AM
The survey must not have gone out to all Game Club Members because I didn't get one.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 21, 14 9:58 AM
I still can't find it either, guys. I think it's probably because I have too much to look through, going back. My BFG account isn't my personal one, but our general household one. So much SPAM it's unbelievable.

If I find it, I'll certainly read it Kdubs (even if it's no good to respond anymore).

twinsoniclab
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,464 Posts

[Post New]by twinsoniclab on Oct 21, 14 10:30 AM
Tauret wrote:The survey must not have gone out to all Game Club Members because I didn't get one.

Me neither, and I don't get so much email I would have missed it. I check my spam every day too.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 21, 14 12:03 PM
What we have here is a highly unhappy and vocal minority of people who, if they were not complaining about the opinions and posts of others, would find something else they are dissatisfied with.

What a great survey by BF!!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Oct 21, 14 1:55 PM

Edited on 10/22/2014 at 5:29:49 PM PST

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Oct 21, 14 3:13 PM
it is a sad fact of life, that people who are satisfied don't complain.....they just go about their lives.

These forums are designed to do three things....as a customer service.
1. Give reviews of the games for people who want to know whether to skip the demo or not.
2. Give people a place to find help when they are stuck in a game
3. To report a problem with running the game.

Maybe you would get better results on your campaign against cutesy games by writing to Big Fish directly since you have not been catching their ear by disrupting the game forums with your dislikes.

Flooding the forum with complaints to make it seem as if there are more people complaining or as if the complaints were more important than other business is Trolling.

Go to: