Azkend

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

Re:Azkend

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Apr 8, 09 11:32 AM
Downloaded Azkend this morning and played in the afternoon. Graphics; very good. Music; fine. Mini games; very good so far; got to week 3 day 1 in hour and was surprised when time was up. That means; for me; I was enjoying it! Will buy this but may wait if it is not marked as Felix's fav. Want to get games eligible for prizes first.

Anniejo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,109 Posts

[Post New]by Anniejo on Apr 8, 09 12:13 PM
Played the demo, but I have the feeling I´ve played it before, is it an old game?

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Apr 8, 09 12:18 PM
Not too fond of the hexagon shape, has a timer.....nope, not for me. (although I did like Puzzle Park and it has a timer)

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 8, 09 12:34 PM
Azkend has been out for a while on other sites. The Gamezebo review of it is dated 05/09/2008.

IMO "chain" type match-3 games are easier with hexagons than with squares. More choices of directions to continue the chain.

Edited on 04/08/2009 at 12:35:41 PM PST

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 8, 09 1:12 PM
Thought I'd come back to post a follow-up. After my review, I did buy the game (I so love the graphics, and the music, if left on low, does not annoy me and is very soothing and not too repetitious.)

I have now played all but the last 20 levels, and have only run out of time twice. If my klutzy mouse handling can do that, almost anyone can live with this timer (which is not to say I would not LOVE an untimed choice). The only consequence of running out of time is that you get to replay that level. I found that changing to a different power-up solved the problem in both cases (I try to test them all, and some of them just aren't that useful).

If anything the graphics get better as you go along. (I confess I have a passion for Tibet and the Himalayas in general, which is what the graphics are based on.) The "match the picture" game gets quite a bit harder (the small pictures are rotated to make the scene harder to spot), but I'm still doing well with them.

The strategy of using the different power-ups ("talismans") is quite interesting, and having to avoid replaying already cleared spaces in order to keep the "lightning" meter up is an unusual discipline.

I'm ready to go to (the last because of the timer.

Nagasse
Stingray
Stingray
5,251 Posts

[Post New]by Nagasse on Apr 8, 09 3:17 PM
I totally understand ones whom need timers for reasons. This game, I would encouarge you to try yourself. This is a rather slow timer, and I never came close to the time running out.

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Apr 8, 09 3:32 PM
I like some Matching games. This one is certainly different, but I'm not sure yet if I want to buy or not. However, I am in NEED OF A GAME so I might!

CYNTHIA
Stingray
Stingray
5,782 Posts

[Post New]by CYNTHIA on Apr 8, 09 3:36 PM
Very true;Nagasse, about timer. I kept forgetting there was a timer until screen said such and such a % of time left; very seldom below 70%. Very generous. Those who don't like timers (which I don't either) should give this a try if it interests them.

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Apr 9, 09 6:53 AM
Guess I was daydreaming when I played this because I got the 50% message after playing only 15 min. Will try again today to see if I'm any better.

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Apr 9, 09 7:05 AM
Sorry, I didn't think about the fact that people do have different reasons for not liking timers, like health reasons, and that they are just too hard for some.

And now that I think about it, Howatch is right. I do run out of time more with some of the hidden object games. It is so hard to find some of the tiny, dark pictures on dark backgrounds. So I guess it depends on the game and how hard it is.

It is true that there should be an option to play either way, with or without a timer. Some games are too hard to play with the timer, and some are too easy without one.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 7:11 AM
When a match-3 game does have a timer, I really like having each level marked as to gold, silver, or just completed, and a chance to go back later and try for gold. As far as I can tell Azkend just marks them either gold or "completed" but at least I do get that and the chance to replay later. Fun game, but my wrists can't play it for too long at a time due to needing to hold the mouse key down while I select the tiles I need. Some other chain type match-3 games let you click the first tile, then just mouse over the chain and click again to collect the chain.

bfgAegean
Catfish
Catfish
1,568 Posts

[Post New]by bfgAegean on Apr 9, 09 11:16 AM
Hello everyone! I just thought I’d pop in and let you know that I’ve gone ahead and moved this discussion to the forum that we have set up for Azkend. You can find a list of all our individual game forums by clicking here.

Happy gaming!

ghost777
Narwhal
Narwhal
33,167 Posts

[Post New]by ghost777 on Apr 9, 09 11:18 AM
xoxJulie wrote:You'd think by now game developers would bypass the timers or at least give you that option. Maybe we could get someone to develop a timer bypass that you could add to any game you wanted, give us a lot more control of the games we buy. Aw that would never happen, just wishful thinking.

My sentiments exactly.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 9, 09 2:08 PM
Checking in again because some people like to hear from someone who has finished the game. I did, and it was fun, although I had some serious timer problems on the last 4-6 levels due to my stiff hands. Still, I replayed those levels, which was not onerous, and finally finished.

A nice aspect is that once you finish the game, if you use the same name, you can replay any level you want to just by clicking on it on the map. So if you made "expert" on many, but not all, you can try those levels again and don't need to go through the whole game unless you want to.

I still like the graphics a lot, and the mini-games were fun.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 9, 09 2:52 PM
ecblisa wrote:Checking in again because some people like to hear from someone who has finished the game. I did, and it was fun, although I had some serious timer problems on the last 4-6 levels due to my stiff hands. Still, I replayed those levels, which was not onerous, and finally finished.

A nice aspect is that once you finish the game, if you use the same name, you can replay any level you want to just by clicking on it on the map. So if you made "expert" on many, but not all, you can try those levels again and don't need to go through the whole game unless you want to.

I still like the graphics a lot, and the mini-games were fun.

Thank you, ecblisa...I bought this game yesterday and your overview/comments have been helpful. I'm looking forward to playing it.

lisam63
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by lisam63 on Apr 9, 09 9:26 PM
Anniejo wrote:Played the demo, but I have the feeling I´ve played it before, is it an old game?

finally ...someone who realized that..when i downloaded and logged in ..it had my username up and i could play any level..i kinda remember something like this and seems to me i finished it as well

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 9:46 PM
As I mentioned earlier in the thread.

lordkalvan wrote:Azkend has been out for a while on other sites. The Gamezebo review of it is dated 05/09/2008.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Apr 10, 09 12:51 AM
This is sort of an interesting tidbit: Lisam63 thought her user name popped up when she opened the game because she had played it before.

My name (my real first name, which I use as my "persona" the first time I play a game) also popped up, and I know I have never been near this game before.

I wonder whether this was some fancy BFG extra, where the new game picked up the user name you usually use with games?

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Apr 10, 09 1:13 AM
This is a beautiful game and I love the explosions with the black smoke, I thought the graphics were very nice and I prolly would buy this but there is a clock in the bottom right hand corner and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh that sealed it - no sale from me. If you love match 3 and you want beautiful graphics without the timer buy Lost in Reefs or Puzzle Park. When are these game developers gonna realise they would sell twice as many games if they put in a relaxed mode to their game, that is what sold me on Big Kahuna Reef Chain Reaction.

keltica
Minnow
Minnow
240 Posts

[Post New]by keltica on Apr 18, 09 3:35 AM
Gosh , This is a hard game, I just can't get passed this level it's about the sixth one form the end .... Is there a knack to it ... the timer just keeps on catching me up .... lol

Any advice would be helpful ... I like timers but this one is a heller !!! must of done this level 50 times and still can't crack it !!

Cheers

Lou

Go to: