sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by sonofstar on Nov 2, 14 6:47 AM
I liked Awakening: The Golden Age and liked that it was a prequel. I have and have played all the other Awakening games, and have loved the series. I think the graphics may be about the best part of this game and the storyline a close second. I did find instructions for some of the games that made absolutely no sense and I either had to figure out what to do myself or skip.

I did find the game to be a bit glitchy. There were points in time where, if I hadn't picked up an item earlier, there was no picking it up then even if the magnifying glass displayed over it (one example, the jug in the vestibule of the big tree).

I was happy to get this game on sale, but would have been just as happy to pay full price for it.

That said, I finished the game well under the expected time (and one an award for doing so). Since I play as a way to distract my brain when I'm too tired to be doing something else, something that went fast is just fine by me. Every bit as satisfying as the others in the Awakening series.

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Awakening: The Golden Age Collector's Edition here.

[Post New]by nontechiegrannie on Nov 2, 14 11:17 AM
I Beta tested this game awhile back & as Queen Victoria might have said, "We are NOT impressed"!!! This is not the first game by this dev that I have not liked.

Childish fantasy game with rehashed story of bullies attacking a village. B O R I N G

HOS/Puzzles are simple, tedious, boring & there are LOTS of them. I did not find them clever or entertaining.

Same old graphics that were not crisp or sharp & I found the drawings a bit crude.

Never did see any of the collectible fairies which is ok because finding the silly things can become quite distracting.

Hint button ok as it also transported you to the next location. I did like the hint "Hoopee". I named mine Birdie!

Never used the SG as it didn't seem worth the effort.

VO ok except that Caity sounded like a woman trying to sound like a child. There were no mouth movements.

Characters were the usual lifeless wooden ones.

Music was more of the usual.

Can't we please just have some original stories with great graphics & characterizations????

A DEFINITE No Buy.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Nov 3, 14 9:20 AM
well as with the other awakening games , I was impressed!
I had no black bars on my 27 inch screen
graphics I found to be crisp
and the puzzles and h.o.s were well done

as with most games, try it yourself!

[Post New]by Anna_Allison on Nov 3, 14 11:52 AM
I might have really liked this game but it took SOOO long to load new scenes or close ups that I got completely frustrated with it.

Volauvent
Manatee
Manatee
3,757 Posts

[Post New]by Volauvent on Nov 3, 14 3:44 PM
Oops! Not up to par. My take is that the developers are burnt out on the Awakening theme.

It takes no time at all to run through the game, and the bonus chapter doesn't make the least bit of sense, the hint doesn't function, and at least one task is left undone. Totally weird.

I'd say it's time for them to work on a new series. I have no idea who pushed them into designing this prequel, but whoever had the brilliant idea should remember that it doesn't pay to force an artistic team to work on a project of no interest. Ends bad every time.

I do not recommend this game.

Zork1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Zork1 on Nov 3, 14 5:36 PM
I love this series and enjoyed this new addition.
I will play again, because I tend to rush through on the first play, and so missed a bunch of fairies and skipped some puzzles which I didn't find all that easy.
The bits and pieces of 'future' games were delightful.
My only complaint is that the bonus game just ended abruptly for me. Probably user error.
LIke the Dark Parables series, I enjoy replaying this set. The devs can add another prequel and I'd buy it too!
Different strokes....try the demo for yourself!

heletia
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by heletia on Nov 5, 14 3:17 PM
DISAPPOINTED

Loved the first two but these newer ones have far too much dialogue and boring childish games like find the flowers, clouds and shields. put them back like the original ones. I used to be excited when i saw ta new game was released but not any more. i wont be buying any more unless they improve.

Edited on 11/05/2014 at 3:27:53 PM PST

ChestnutHeights
Salmon
Salmon
2,542 Posts

[Post New]by ChestnutHeights on Nov 11, 14 7:55 PM
Volauvent wrote:Oops! Not up to par. My take is that the developers are burnt out on the Awakening theme.

It takes no time at all to run through the game, and the bonus chapter doesn't make the least bit of sense, the hint doesn't function, and at least one task is left undone. Totally weird.

I'd say it's time for them to work on a new series. I have no idea who pushed them into designing this prequel, but whoever had the brilliant idea should remember that it doesn't pay to force an artistic team to work on a project of no interest. Ends bad every time.

Your post captures my thoughts perfectly. I've played all games in the Awakening series, including the FTP version. It's time to think of another series.

[Post New]by sleeplessinAZ on Dec 1, 14 10:46 PM
I think this is either a really like or don't like game. I might have liked it better if I had played it first but then again I might not have been interested in the rest of the series, which I really enjoyed. I would suggest playing the demo and see if you like it before buying it.

Lesson Learned

jdelbove
Minnow
Minnow
266 Posts

[Post New]by jdelbove on Dec 2, 14 6:43 AM
I am stuck in the bonus chapter and am about to delete this whole game. I have the scythe, some Boggins(?), one acorn in the bag and some pebbles. SG said something about bandages but I don't have them. I did get the cat tails and the round thing from the tree but I obviously need more acorns. Using the hint button is absolutely useless because all it does is send me back and forth into the portal page. No matter where or what I click on, there is nothing to be had. Any suggestions? Thank you

ShaunaPSmith
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by ShaunaPSmith on Dec 2, 14 7:06 PM
I loved this game!!! I admit that at first glance I thought it was going to be outdated and too cheesy. But the graphics are actually really appealing to me. And (and this is a BIG AND...) I found it to be really challenging!! It had some of the most creative (and difficult) HOP games I've ever played. Sometimes I thought something might be wrong, but most of the time you just have to follow the gameplay and things work out.

What I really love about this game is that there is a puzzle at every turn. Sometimes they were too easy, but I give the developers big kudos for at least making us work for things! Puzzles, challenges and mini-games are what I play for. This one gave me every bit of my money's worth. And it was long, as was the Bonus Chapter. I feel very satisfied with this purchase.

lil_chickadee
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by lil_chickadee on Dec 6, 14 8:39 PM
It's OK and enjoyable as an afternoon diversion, but I played it in 6.5 hours (which included a 4 hour nap). Also, I think the devs must have been playing Nevertales recently. I just discovered the Nevertales series and last week played all three games. This feels just like one of them. Hidden object scenes where the objects reveal pieces of an item you need, finding fragments of an item you need scattered around a scene, even using a rock for hammer with a chisel to knock a piece off a log. Add in a plethora of minigames that also seem very, very similar to ones I solved in the Nevertales trilogy....and you might as well go play Nevertales. The gameplay is longer, there are morphing and collectible objects, and there are bonus scenes you have to earn to play in addition to the bonus content.
If you really, really liked the other Awakenings as much as I did, do yourself a favor and buy the SE. This one is really not worth the CE price. Glad I got it in last week's sale.

Edited on 12/06/2014 at 8:40:34 PM PST

Go to: