TGT: Detective Agency

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:TGT: Detective Agency

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 9, 09 2:26 AM
Yeah - noticed the right click instruction and I thought I imagined the map was a playing card but seems not the only one noticed that.

This game is just ok- I wont buy it because I have other games with similar puzzles and same kind of thing.

A good game for beginners to HO games or for those that like easy to find objects.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 5:14 AM
After about 15 minutes:

No timer
Wide variety of both types of Hidden Object scenes and minigames
You can earn more hints, and they appear to not get wiped out
Items aren't just thrown into the scene anywhere
Minigames can be skipped, but you have to click the Help button to find the Skip one

Enormous variation on the difficulty of the minigames. The buttons one is extemely difficult due to the need for avoiding diagonals as well, unless you happen to know the solution. The matching game is ridiculously easy because they show the matches before turning the cards face down but you have unlimited time and unlimited guesses.
I personally don't like spot-the-differences. I also don't like "here are the outlines now find the items", particularly when some of those outlines are just circles or squares and there are multiple round/square things in the scene.
The hint system is confusing. The thing changes color and beeps without you being anywhere near the thing you are searching for. As far as I can tell, it beeps faster only when you are directly on top of the item.

I'm going to put this down as "if I get desperate". Work is keeping me busy lately but I'll probably want something this weekend. OTOH this doesn't appear to be one of Felix's Favorites.

scotcat
Flounder
Flounder
2,349 Posts

[Post New]by scotcat on Apr 9, 09 5:33 AM
The buttons one is extemely difficult due to the need for avoiding diagonals as well,

If I knew everyone was going to find this one difficult, I would have written the sequence down since I literally finished it in 30 seconds. It took me longer to connect the pipes.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 9, 09 7:23 AM
Ok, I've played 40 minutes of the demo, and I really like this game. There are definitely things that can be improved...most notably the hint system, but IMO, it is still a good HO game.

I found that some of the graphics were clear on my monitor, but some of them were slightly blurred or at least not as clear especially when playing full screen. I have a 20" widescreen flat screen monitor, and quite a few of the games have slightly blurry graphics in full screen, but I usually play in windowed mode if available anyway.

The hint system is crazy! It looks like they either tried to put several different ways to give a hint into one mechanism (the magnifier) or they tried out several different ways to identify the needed object and forgot to decide on which one they would use in the final version. Although the magnifier tried to identify objects that had already been found, I did find that when it blinked and clicked the fastest, it was really over an object not yet found. That took awhile to figure out though. As far as counting the number of hints when accumulated and used, something definitely seems to be wrong there. I did like the ability to find the magnifier in all the scenes to increase the hints.

Personally, I liked the way this game used shapes to provide clues to objects needed. The shapes in this one seemed to be more exact to the object needed than some other games I've played with these.

The spot the difference scenes were simply made with objects either there or not there, but they weren't as easy (at least for me) as I expected them to be. I prefer spot the differences when the differences are within the scene itself rather than just finding things that are or aren't there.

Yes, the translation is a bit funny at times, but I didn't run into any object names yet that confused me because of translation.

I thought that, although there were some objects to be found that didn't really fit the story, quite a few of them DID fit the story quite well even if there weren't any inventory puzzles to actually use them in.

I liked it and will probably buy it if it doesn't turn out to be super short and especially if it ends up on Felix Favorites.

However, I am also waiting anxiously for Flux Family Secrets!

Therlin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Therlin on Apr 9, 09 7:28 AM
Too simple. Horrible translations for some objects. Virtually unlimited hints. Although a couple of puzzles were way out there. How about the one where you have to figure out like a 10 digit combination in 6 attempts with no other hints than "that's the right digit, that's not" I skipped that one.

I played the free hour and I'm pretty sure I made it until almost the end.

I was very happy to see a HO game since the games this week have been very uninspired, but I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer for something worth a credit.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 7:31 AM
Somebody posted in Gamezebo forums that there's a bug with the hint system. If you use a hint until it finds something for you, but then you can decide to NOT pick that item up, just put the hint back, and your hint does go back for later use. She also said that the number of hints is capped at 20.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 10:03 AM
Rats.... I was taking a break from work and playing a few more minutes of this game, and my boss phoned. I minimized the game figuring it would pause. On the phone for over an hour. All my demo time used up.

Guess it serves me right for playing during normal business hours.....

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Apr 9, 09 10:07 AM
So frustrating! I played the demo for 10 or 15 minutes then saved and exited.
I went back to the game and played a little more and this time when I save and exited it rebooted my system.
I uninstalled and reinstalled and then my name in the profile was just a bunch of weird letters and symbols which I could not change.
I've updated my graphics card, ran a scan, ran adawarem everything is up to date. Is anyone else having the same problem? And also does anyone have any problems running with Display Memory of 64mb.
Thanks, I would appreciate any input.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 10:21 AM
I'd say that you need to contact customer support. click the green envelope on the right side of this page.

gadget56
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by gadget56 on Apr 9, 09 11:37 AM
Found the game kind of easy, found the mini games much better. Not on my list to buy, really need a good game. Waiting for DC3 or Flux Family.

gadget56
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by gadget56 on Apr 9, 09 11:37 AM
Found the game kind of easy, found the mini games much better. Not on my list to buy, really need a good game. Waiting for DC3 or Flux Family.

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Apr 9, 09 12:01 PM
Darn it!! Was hoping this would be a good game but from your comments, my hope has dwindled away. sighhhhh

woodentot
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,391 Posts

[Post New]by woodentot on Apr 9, 09 12:32 PM
What an awful game. I was so excited to see a HOG today, but I what a disappiontment.
The game froze at around chapter 4 or 5, I had to Alt/Ctrl/delete to get out of it. Thought I would try again, don't know why!! It didn't save anything, so I had to start all over again, even putting my name in again. Map/ Card, Cell / Birdcage, if I had got any further I am sure there would be many more translation mistakes.
Sorry Big Fish, are these games not looked at before you put your name to them.

jocarl17
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by jocarl17 on Apr 9, 09 12:59 PM
woodentot wrote:What an awful game. I was so excited to see a HOG today, but I what a disappiontment.
The game froze at around chapter 4 or 5, I had to Alt/Ctrl/delete to get out of it. Thought I would try again, don't know why!! It didn't save anything, so I had to start all over again, even putting my name in again. Map/ Card, Cell / Birdcage, if I had got any further I am sure there would be many more translation mistakes.
Sorry Big Fish, are these games not looked at before you put your name to them.

oops, I hit the wrong button and my reply vanished. I just want to agree that this game is JUNK. Get some quality games, Big Fish or I will be gone!

Edited on 04/09/2009 at 1:13:46 PM PST

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 1:15 PM
LK crosses fingers and hopes that Flux Family (promised out this week) is more fun than vague memories of the beta test several months ago.

ghost777
Narwhal
Narwhal
33,167 Posts

[Post New]by ghost777 on Apr 9, 09 1:18 PM
Silly game ,played 13 min and deleted.

friend6040
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by friend6040 on Apr 9, 09 1:23 PM
i played this game on trial and liked it but when i went to use a clue it didnt let me use at all i tried using it to find the item and it kept adding it back to the clues again no hints or nothing had plenty of hints though someone please if theres a way to do this. big fish should have some beta testers before they have this to the public and address the concerns that way. how discouraging. anyone please help. im gonna write and see if i can get a credit back for this game or somone please help on how you do the hints. please.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 9, 09 1:35 PM
The way the hint works is you pick it up, then mouse over the entire scene. Ignore the flashing and beeps, until it starts flashing and beeping constantly. At that point you should be very very close to the item if not directly on top of it.

8Featger
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by 8Featger on Apr 9, 09 2:04 PM
This game has many problems for me the mouse constantly moves around the screen and the hint button is crazy.
I had been looking for a new game but this one is not it. Is their a basic glutch with the game itself it is the slowest opening of a short I have encountered.

JessF
Clownfish
Clownfish
773 Posts

[Post New]by JessF on Apr 9, 09 2:06 PM
Played til I hit the button game. Didn't know there was a skip. When I clicked hint it just gave me the rules again.
Don't think I'll buy it. The poor grammar (actually just weird illogical sentences in general) in the SKIP scenes makes me crazy.
Plus the mouse keeps freezing and the first time I tried to play it shut down & rebooted my machine. Never a good sign.

I agree with those that say there have not been too many good games lately. A run of match-3 games - which all seem the same to me and time management games. My credits are also building. Maybe it's just time for me to take a break from playing.

Go to: