Re:Let's make a list of what the dark chest wants.

[Post New]by rogood on Nov 18, 14 7:22 AM
I find it distasteful that no one from BFG has provided guidance on the Dark Chest. I'm not feeding it again until I know what the point is. It seems to be there just to eat away resources so you have to continue to play and spend money. I REALLY find it ridiculous that someone has fed it 700 or 500 or 300 times with no real result (except to reach an achievement). And the 100 crystal reward is hardly worth it considering how much you've spent to feed it 500 times. This was one of my favorite games to play but rapidly losing ground due to the lack of support from BFG.

Luckypool
Clownfish
Clownfish
607 Posts

[Post New]by Luckypool on Nov 18, 14 12:05 PM
rogood wrote:It seems to be there just to eat away resources so you have to continue to play and spend money.

No one forces you to play the Dark Chest! Free will 'n all that.
Those that have chosen to continue playing past 250 or even 500 have done so for their own enjoyment or perceived necessity. Perhaps they played so they could auction off other collectibles collected along the way? Maybe they just enjoy playing the HOS. Who knows, but if you choose not to play the Dark Chest then that's good too!

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Nov 18, 14 1:45 PM
Hello, Can you mark this so it stays on top so we can go back and reread this one! thanks

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Nov 18, 14 2:53 PM
Do you think we have all the same to feed the chest?

I don't think so, I think it is a random generator what he wants to eat.

I had sometimes 3 or more times in a row the same things to give.
So you can't make a list, only collect all the stuff and enough of all.

bfgVaiya
Salmon
Salmon
2,557 Posts

[Post New]by bfgVaiya on Nov 19, 14 3:19 PM
Hey Everyone,

This is a really great resource for seeing what the Dark Chest has asked of other players! I've gone ahead and added it to the Helpful Links For Awakening Kingdoms thread, under the heading Tips, Tricks, and Mini-Games, so that it can easily be found by anyone looking for information on this quest

Happy Gaming!

bfgVaiya

mamacass14
Clownfish
Clownfish
616 Posts

[Post New]by mamacass14 on Nov 19, 14 8:00 PM
rogood wrote:] I REALLY find it ridiculous that someone has fed it 700 or 500 or 300 times with no real result (except to reach an achievement). And the 100 crystal reward is hardly worth it considering how much you've spent to feed it 500 times. This was one of my favorite games to play but rapidly losing ground due to the lack of support from BFG.

rogood,

I think that the point will be to have 50 stones as I did see on slots in the pillars on Dark Island. I do believe we more than likely will need the slimes to offset the rest of maisma on the island as well. Maybe others will have a different view.

Mamacass14

jbmf_06
Clownfish
Clownfish
712 Posts

[Post New]by jbmf_06 on Nov 19, 14 9:59 PM
bfgVaiya wrote:Hey Everyone,

This is a really great resource for seeing what the Dark Chest has asked of other players! I've gone ahead and added it to the <a href=Helpful Links For Awakening Kingdoms>Helpful Links For Awakening Kingdoms</a> thread, under the heading Tips, Tricks, and Mini-Games, so that it can easily be found by anyone looking for information on this quest

Happy Gaming!

bfgVaiya

Thank you bfg

cabega
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by cabega on Nov 20, 14 1:43 PM
@Mamacass
I agree with you.

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Nov 21, 14 9:23 AM
bfgVaiya wrote:Hey Everyone,

This is a really great resource for seeing what the Dark Chest has asked of other players! I've gone ahead and added it to the <a href=Helpful Links For Awakening Kingdoms>Helpful Links For Awakening Kingdoms</a> thread, under the heading Tips, Tricks, and Mini-Games, so that it can easily be found by anyone looking for information on this quest

Happy Gaming!

bfgVaiya

Thanks for this.

The only thing I can add is the more people add, the more accurate it will be. Maybe it is completely random, but in my game so far I've seen the same patterns come up, and in looking at the auctions it seems some items are asked for a lot more often than others.

Ideally, we could census it all for how many times it asked for everything. Wish I'd thought of that at the start, but that's starting to sound like as much work as feeding the blasted thing. I don't like doing that much for harvesting tables in Norrath.

mouser9169
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by mouser9169 on Nov 21, 14 9:40 AM
rogood wrote:I find it distasteful that no one from BFG has provided guidance on the Dark Chest. I'm not feeding it again until I know what the point is. It seems to be there just to eat away resources so you have to continue to play and spend money.

You're partially correct. MMO economies are a pet hobby of mine, and while this isn't exactly one of those, it has enough similarities (it's still essentially a faucet/drain economy) that I can draw some reasonable (IMHO) conclusions.

One of the key differences between AK and most MMO's is the multiple currencies. We've got bolgins and crystals. But because our trade is limited to collectibles, things like building materials accumulate with no real place to go.

In theory, collectibles would be turned in for their rewards, removing them from the game (which is what you want to happen). In reality, it doesn't take people long to figure out that as soon as they turn in some collection, some fairy is going to want thirty of whatever you just got rid of. So the collectibles accumulate. "Find" quests were the initial stab at solving this. If most of the quests require you to find new stuff, you don't have the incentive to hang on to the old stuff.

Sidenote: The auction house does nothing to add or remove items from the game, unless it's a small amount of bolgins for an auction fee that I've never seen filled in. Stuff trading hands between players is still "in the game". You want the faucet adding a bit more than the drain removes, so players feel they're getting somewhere.

Building resources are worse. You CAN'T get rid of those once you've upgraded your buildings and finished the quests, so it just continues to pile up. People playing this game for a long time have thousands of the stuff while newer players absolutely freak when they see the "999" quest come up.

Enter the dark chest. It's purpose is to act as a "drain". It asks for collectibles, building resources, and minigame resources. The minigame resources are there to get rid of bolgins - you can get the resources from HOS, but every one bought from the store removes some bolgins from the game.

So it isn't so much to get you to spend money, as it is to solve the very real need of removing stockpiles of "stuff" and leveling the playing field a bit. Players with tons of stuff can feed it 500 times. Those that don't will feed it just enough to get the map opened.

Of course you can spend money to speed the process.

val2000
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by val2000 on Nov 28, 14 11:14 PM
More for the list:

- 5 hard scales, 10 bolgite, 2 house valeryn crest, 3 dragon teeth

- 10 blueprints, 7 thread and needle, 4 snowkisses flowers, 8house villaude crest

- 4 fungi tiles, 2 laira conclave fairy crest, 4 king plushie, 5 pearl earrings

- 3 silverleaf pendant, 3 tender touches flowers, 4 moonstone pendant, 2 bear king figurine

- 10 bolgite, 5 blue moonflower, 5 waterfairy rune, 3 magical paintbrush

- 4 iridescent scales, 4 puppet Jop, 4 goblin rune of mechanicals, 5 glass shards

- 2 moon fountain tea mix, 2 puppet kip, 2 jewelled kris, 3 nectar dew

Mouser, if you want, you can add them to the original list.

Between them I've met one of the previous rows multiple times. I don't remember the first feedings, but I think most of them are in this list and I still believe it must be the same items for everyone.

As about the chest, it seems to me like a lasting quest which tries (for the moment) to keep us playing in the first 20 HO scenes.

Edited on 11/30/2014 at 2:47:34 AM PST

[Post New]by EmilyDora on Dec 9, 14 6:28 PM
Does anyone know really how much stuff the dark chest wants or needs. I haven't fed it over 700 times but I have been feeding it for over 3 weeks. What exactly is needed to get this dark chest satisfied? Is it a certain level PLUS all the stuff we feed it, or what?

[Post New]by lcd56_1 on Dec 31, 14 11:22 AM
After the latest upgrade (2.6) you will see that the dark chest wants 50 (after the first 500) in order to get past the stones guarding the entrance to Dark Island. You will also learn that the new goal is to feed the chest 1000 times at which time you will earn a 200 crystal reward. Right now I'm at level 100 and have fed the chest 925 times. I'll probable finish it by the end of the week.

Go to: