dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide here!

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Nov 13, 14 3:59 PM
Hi all. Well, we have #8 in this series and it is right in line with all of the others. Yes, naturally there is a special and I already have all of the others. The colors seem to be much brighter than in previous DP games, but they are very nice. I was taken aback when I first started watching, because of the blurry scenes...fortunately that cleared up when the game play started. Other than that, the graphics are very nice. Game play was very good, no problems filling my large screen and saw no glitches in the demo. Music is the usual and not at all annoying this time. I do have to make a comment about the "magician" in the opening scene. Every time I see him in a game, I cringe. Sorry, but in order to pull off that look, you need a big muscular guy, or better yet, a wizard. The voice of the "hooded helper" would have been much better if it were a bit lower and more masculine (I think if was a man...if not, sorry about that). Okay, of my soapbox.

I do like an occasional FROG, but it would be nice to have a little change up now and then. Maybe switch between FROG/match 3. Just a thought. Items are fairly well blended, but not all that difficult to find. Puzzles were the usual as well, but some were quite interesting and fun. I didn't look at the SG. I seldom do, unless I'm really stuck somewhere, or to make sure I have found all the collectibles. The hint system works very well and is quite helpful. It does not transport you to locations, but the jump map is a good one and I used it a lot to save time and shoe leather.

The only collectibles I found during the demo are (40) crescent moons. According to the achievements, there are also tea cups (didn't see any) and you need to find Felix the Fish (he is sneaky). Again, there are 5 Parables (stories relevant to the game). I find the Parables to be the most challenging part of the game, since you don't really know what you are looking for.

I have really enjoyed all of the games in this series and this one is no exception. It does need to be brought up to date a bit, but it is a very nice game and one that I think all levels of players would enjoy. It is not extremely difficult or challenging, but there is enough going on to keep you busy and moving. Yes, I will buy this game and add it to my ever growing collection.

As always, try it for yourself and see what you think. We all have different tastes in games and you may not care for this one. Thanks for the reviews.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

Re:Please post your REVIEWS for Dark Parables: The Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide here!

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 13, 14 6:37 PM

The Unofficial "Making of" The Little Mermaid

Overheard during game development:

Vlad: "Hey, what game are we working on today?"
Irina: "Well, its the latest Dark Parables game."

Vlad: "Oooh, Dark Parables, right! So we'll need color, lots and lots of color."
Irina: "Check, I've ordered ten times the color we use in other games, so we should be fine. And just in case, I've ordered extra purple. We've got to include fragmented objects too."

Vlad: "Right, I think we have some lying around. Now where are they? Aha! Here are some left over from the last Dark Parables game. Let's use those.
Irina: "Can we do that?"

Vlad: "Sure, no one will notice. What about a story? Do we need one?"
Irina: "I suppose we do. *sighs* It has to do with mermaids and purple tides or something. What can we do with that?"

Vlad: "I don't know exactly. How about we just make stuff up like we usually do? And the stranger the better. That's what sells."
Irina: "Ok, so mermaids.... I'm thinking of an undersea city, a shadowy figure, and a dark ancient legend. How's that?

Vlad: "Too bland, too ordinary. Try to think outside the box. Ummmmm.......I've got it! We'll add a giant eel!"
Irina: "Awesome!" And whenever the play gets too boring, we can have it pop up and scream - Rhoowahh!!!"

Vlad: Great idea! We've got a sure-fire winner here! Just look at this beautiful scene!"
Irina: "Not bad, but it needs more purple, don't you think?"

mermaids

Edited on 11/13/2014 at 6:45:20 PM PST

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Nov 13, 14 7:21 PM
I was surprised to see that 2 competing developers came together to make this game. [removed by moderator]

I do like the new style of the game. The graphics were clear on my computer, and I like the brighter colors. I am not a huge fan of FROGs, but I will play the occasional FROG, as I do have most of the games in this series. FROG scenes in the other games in the series were very cluttered, and some of the objects were either very, very small or well blended into another object, IMO. I like the FROGs in this game much more, and still found them challenging.

On a side note, Prasino is the Greek word for the color green. But the accent is on the first syllable, not the second. Also, kokkinos is the Greek word for the color red (you come across the word on a piece of paper in Chapter 2). I find it interesting that the devs took a fairy tale from a Dutch author, and with a statue in Copenhagen, and gave it a Greek spin.

Edited on 11/14/2014 at 9:10:23 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 13, 14 8:02 PM
[removed by moderator]

Edited on 11/14/2014 at 9:09:49 AM PST

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Nov 13, 14 9:38 PM
This is based on the demo...

Where to start? The new Dark Parables installment is a DP in name only. I don't know exactly when/how did Eipix got the job to do the new chapter in the series, but just from this first try alone, they failed on almost every aspect.

The graphics for Little Mermaid and the Purple Tide are neither Eipix's trademark sharp clear style graphics, nor the sharp fantasy-style known in Blue Tea Games, but rather a strange mix that doesn't look good at all. The cutscenes were blurry, which is unusual for an Eipix game, and the graphics of the game itself weren't up to the standards of the previous DP's.

As for the story...I think they should have at least seen the previous games before beginning to make this one. It's clear that they have no idea just what a Dark Parable is. Just on the first hour alone, we barely interact with the title character, or get any info about her. Instead, we are treated to a story about mermaids and fantasy, which on its own (that is, outside of the DP series) wouldn't be so bad, except that it has nothing to do with the fairy tale. The main premise of the stories in the series,at least as far as I understood them, was that it was supposed to be a darker retelling of well-known tales (hence the title). But here, there is absolutely nothing resembling H.C. Andersen's story ( the stories are supposed to be given a different spin in the game, but the main backbone of the tale should remain). That aside, the few puzzles that were in the demo weren't that exciting, not to mention the blah HOS colors.

There's nothing much to say about the music, except that it doesn't have the same "sound" as the previous installments (it's a bit too "ambient" for this series).

So, worth it? Not if you love the previous DP. I will give Eipix some credit for trying to continue an established franchise, but aside from that, if they can't improve on the faults by the next installment (if there is one), maybe it would be best to hand it over to another studio.

ETA: Something I forgot to add, the new devs have apparently renamed at least one character. Princess Ivy ( the princess of the Frog Prince tale) is no longer named Ivy but rather Naida. Now I wonder if they will do the same for the rest of the characters.

Edited on 11/19/2014 at 1:13:34 PM PST

[Post New]by revelette on Nov 14, 14 7:49 AM
I find the Parables to be the most challenging part of the game, since you don't really know what you are looking for.

I know exactly what you mean. I am obsessed when I want to achieve a certain part of a game and I really want to find all the parables pieces. I miss the guy who read the parables in the other games, but I still want to read the parables and I can't do that if I can't find them all. I did find one, and it made a difference as it explained the lead up to the curse.

I have to agree, I see the difference, it's a subtle difference but it has to do with story line, it is not the same style as the other dark parables. I still liked the game, I am not wild about some of the puzzles so I just skipped them. I love FROGS, and I did like it that the frogs were much clearer to find for me.

Btw, there is a reason the guy in the hood seems strange.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Nov 14, 14 3:11 PM
There are not enough words to describe how much I love this game! I love the special touches that were added i.e. Felix, Blue Tea teacups. I am thankful to eipix for picking the series up and doing an excellent job with it! As always I view everything to the last credit as I enjoy the sense of humor of the creative staff at the end with their credited descriptions. Always brings a smile!

The game itself I found interesting and entertaining. The artwork is second to none and the voiceovers are well done.

Thank you Blue Tea, eipix, Big Fish Games and everyone involved in bringing this super game to us. I look forward to the next adventure.

Landwalker Faylyn

[Post New]by wyldedragonfly on Nov 14, 14 5:29 PM
I loved this series, but I feel that Blue Tea Games has been dialing it in lately. In fact, I think they peaked with "The Snow Queen" and it has all been down hill from there (seriously, "The Final Cinderella" story line just boggled my mind). That being said though, the story lines were creative and the care and attention put into the artwork was amazing.

The artwork for this game is blah. I'm disappointed the Blue Tea signed away the rights and I'm very disappointed in what BF has done to the series. I love fairy tales and the I love FROGs - just don't call it Dark Parables anymore and I'll be all set.

In fact, as long as I don't think of the game as a DP, I'm good with it. It's a nice game (based on the demo) and it has mermaids (although "Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren's Call" was a way better game). It's not great and it's not Dark Parables, but it's not the worse game I've ever played.

However, Eipix did the Hidden Expedition series and now I won't buy another one (sorry BF - Everest will always be my favorite and you should have stopped there). So, my guess is that I will buy this one and it will be my last. But - I always will have "The Exiled Prince" and "The Snow Queen" - the best of the bunch. Farewell Dark Parables. It was fun.

fishybigs
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by fishybigs on Nov 15, 14 12:44 AM
I have always been able to play the games in this series with my MBP trackpad where I only had to tap to get a click. With this newest game I have to either tap several times in a row for something to happen, or do a hard click. A hard click is something I refuse to do, because the trackpad was designed to work with only taps. So I won't continue with this game.

I really wish all developers would make sure that "tap to click" works on their games. It's possible, really, because I have been playing many games that allow this.

Jaguar2357
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by Jaguar2357 on Nov 16, 14 12:54 PM
phoenix_25 wrote:
... The extras are very cookie-cutter, they've changed the parables, the sounds, the puzzles, NO MORPHING OBJECTS ...

Is too morphing objects - every Parables piece is a morphing object! Eipix just merged those 2 Blue Tea extras.

I find the graphics to be a step down in clarity, a bit grainy, but I love that they went with honoring the series by staying with FROGs only and throwing in memories of past characters and the tea cup Achievement. Also, I adore games where everything stays bright and alive, no gloomy ruins and dirty gray ghosts. Frankly, the latest 2 DPs from Blue Tea were so repetitive on puzzles and themes, I'd stopped buying CEs and have only the SEs. This one breaks the boredom and makes the CE worth paying for. Now if Eipix cleans up the graininess a bit, I'll go back to buying all their CEs.

stasibug
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by stasibug on Nov 16, 14 3:57 PM
Don't usually comment in reviews. Not a reviewer. But after all the comments I read here, I was almost afraid to play the game (being a big BT fan). I have now played this game most of the weekend and have loved it! I still think that nobody does a FROG like BT but the pixies made a super effort! I thought the game play was packed full of stuff to do, with a decent story, and beautiful scenery. Along with all this, we also got the extras that Eipix adds to their CE package. Hate to lose BT for my FROGS but I think the developers did a super job! Thanx!

LynFrank
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

Love it!

[Post New]by LynFrank on Nov 19, 14 3:29 AM
I really appreciate a game that I can move through without having to check with the strategy guide too often. this allows me to find the things I am meant to find, without too much hassle, and I can then enjoy the story line even more.
What I especially like about these latest games is the chance to find the objects of interest that one usually misses. Also being able to go over the whole game again to collect the collectables is most enjoyable. THANKS GUYS!

Edited on 11/19/2014 at 3:37:51 AM PST

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Nov 19, 14 7:32 AM
I saw 'Dark Parables' and went straight to the buy button. Huge mistake. I was utterly and completely disappointed in this game. It wasn't Blue Tea. The lovely fragmented scenes are now like a kid's coloring book. The continuity in the storyline is more fragmented than the FROGs. Chucking in a few nods to the original Blue Tea games just doesn't cut it. I loved the morphing objects and these are gone. The parable objects are difficult to see and I only ever unlocked one. I guess I don't get to see the rest as I don't have any inclination to play this mess again. I just hope the Cursery series isn't going to get wrecked the same way, although I will never, ever buy another game I haven't tried first. I will probably never, ever buy another Dark Parables game, either. What a waste.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Nov 19, 14 2:23 PM
Wow, so many different views of the game. I just deleted the demo, with 14 minutes left, after trying, when I had time, for several days to get myself excited in the game. After all, I own the others and liked them all. This has nothing to do with the Little Mermaid. Nothing. It's another story with a mystery at the center, but why we (the detective") are there is beyond me. I never found any parables, my bad, although I found all the crescent moons that were available. I just. didn't. care. Despite my liking purple, frogs, and the graphics which were fine on my computer, I just. didn't. care. Maybe I'll check it out when it's an SE. I don't know. I'm not too sure that BT and Eipix was that great a coming together. It's obvious some people really love this game, and I'm glad, but my advice? If you're going to do a game based on a series which uses iconic fairy tale characters, create something that actually refers to the fairly tale, rather than something which has nothing to do with it. I found nothing to hang onto to keep my interest going. Sorry. And I really do like purple. Oh, and the voice for the young hooded guy was truly awful.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 21, 14 11:26 AM
Love the game and got it when the special Collectors game was offered. I enjoy the type of puzzles and FROG's as you don't get as many of them. I thought the graphics were good but a little on the Dark side. Have the other Dark Parables and enjoy them too. Give this 4 out of 5 stars..

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Nov 21, 14 2:35 PM
julese53 wrote:When I open the game it is a Blue Tea game. Where is everyone seeing Eipix?

If you start the game and watch the entire intro scene without skipping past it, you'll see the Eipix logo. The game seems to have been started by Blue Tea and finished by Eipix.

Chaorite
Clownfish
Clownfish
940 Posts

[Post New]by Chaorite on Nov 22, 14 12:05 AM
Being a fan of the Dark Parables series, I bought this game without even bothering to see the demo or preview.

I did have a moment of concern with the volume of splash screens upon opening the game and was quite glad to see that weightiness lifted once the game began.

As far as the game goes, in addition to the usual basics we've come to expect from this series...

Pros:
- Good length
- Lots of things to look for (click EVERYTHING in every scene)
- Map can transport you rather than just indicate scenes
- There is clear information about how many items of each set you are looking for. ie: King of the Sea has 3 pieces to find.

Cons:
- Motion images are a bit grainy and not up the previous splendor we've enjoyed
- No morphing objects to find. Instead we have hidden objects in scenes to locate. (I miss my morphing objects, I liked those)
- Story line feels a little incomplete at the end and ends a little suddenly
- Repetitive games
- Not enough FROG scenes

I have no idea why Eiplix are involved with this series but I hope Blue Tea have a lot more involvement in the next installment. They ruled with this series thus far.

All in all, the gamer will enjoy this series and I recommend it. I know I will be playing it over again just to find all those wretched hidden pieces if nothing else.

And you'll love finding Felix in the scenes!

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Nov 22, 14 4:13 AM
Beautyful game! The underwater world is very charming, I like the colors and the photogaphy, some of the locations are really stunning! Fortunatly there is a travel map, because there is lot do going back to one site to another one! Some of puzzles are quite difficult, and some of the Hos are fragm. and plenty all along the game! I still have a couple chapters to play, and the bonus, so far I rate this game about 5 , especially for the artwork, and the series of these Parables!

kaboobie
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by kaboobie on Dec 1, 14 11:16 AM
sea_maid wrote:
ETA: Something I forgot to add, the new devs have apparently renamed at least one character. Princess Ivy ( the princess of the Frog Prince tale) is no longer named Ivy but rather Naida. Now I wonder if they will do the same for the rest of the characters.

I don't think that is correct. The Frog Prince's first wife, and one true love, was Ivy, sister of Briar Rose. After she died, he married four other princesses, one of whom was a mermaid. It is revealed in this game that the mermaid princess was named Naida, and she was one of several "Little Mermaids" who were daughters of the mad king.

If there is another game in the series, the one wife of the Frog Prince we haven't yet learned about is the Swan Princess...

Edited on 12/01/2014 at 11:19:40 AM PST

[Post New]by mattiehelen2002 on Dec 2, 14 7:27 AM
This is one of the best games ever. I always buy Dark Parables CEs as soon as I see the name and they never disappoint. There was sooo much to do and I loved the fact that it allowed me to go back in the extras with the parables and the moons to find the rest. The only thing I cannot find are the gold medals in the HOP because I do not know what they look like. I will be playing this game again and again.

Never heard of Eipix, but saw their games under more games, and I am now thinking about buying some of their games, after I try one of course. If they teamed with Blue Tea, they must be good -- I hope.

I hated FROGs initially, and now I cannot get enough of them!!!!

Go to: