Re:Welcome to Sinking Island forum

[Post New]by Mimi52861 on Apr 16, 09 9:23 PM
Well, thank you WhipFish, for clarifying that you weren't singling me or any other particular person out. Let me remind you that when you post on a public forum you open yourself up to advice, whether you want/ask for it or not. We all have an opinion and we all want to be heard. You have expressed yours and no, I did not tell you to shut up, or anything of the sort, nor did I state that your comments had no place here. If that's what you took from my post then might I suggest you re-read it and that you must have misunderstood/misinterpreted what was said.

I DID say that it's your fault if you didn't read the warning, as it's in RED & hard to miss. I stand by that statement. I also said that we players here cannot do anything about your "outrage" and you should contact BF or the game developers because they are the ones that can effect any change on this. The developer could make a game patch that we could download that would change/remove the objectionable/offensive material from the game. Or BF could include a more detailed warning about the game content. Either one of these actions could make this a better situation.

I will say 1 more thing on this & then I'm done with this issue. I read your other thread on foul language & I'm glad BF responded to your "outrage". So, you got the refund & free game offer and you most likely helped to get the game content changed. That's great. Now we all can get back to gaming & having fun. At least that's what I'm planning on doing.

WhipFish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by WhipFish on Apr 17, 09 10:09 AM
And that is condescending.

player_pat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by player_pat on Apr 17, 09 12:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

It was with no ill-will or “rage” that I posted my views on the game “Sinking Island.” I posted out of shear concern – nothing more, nothing less.

I'm grandmother and love BFG! I have an account with BFG for a couple of years now. None-the-less, I was quite shocked about the story line in this game and I reiterate I'm glad I play the games first...before my grandkids get the chance to. I pay for the games and then I do my own personal "censoring” for any games I purchase for my grandkids. I take it as my own personal responsibility to monitor whatever games my grandkids will be playing on my watch and at my expense. That’s no problem for me and the kids get to have fun.

My reporting on what I felt about this game was…a gesture in good faith…to give a dual HEADS-UP to ALL folks, especially to those who do the same as I do (if they’re buying for kids); and it was also a notice to BFG management.

There might have been a fed flag for “foul words,” but there were no “Adult Content Warnings” here…any where. And boy does this game have strong Adult Content! And this is something BF Management might want to be aware of…simply because some people in this “sue-happy world of today”…might take it upon themselves to bring an action against BFG, citing this website as a family/children oriented and trusted site, and one of their children was quite disturbed by the content.

*** I certainly trust this site and do not want to see it go into litigation because of one game.***

I reassure all that, by all means, my posting was not to generate angst amongst members. Whatever adults do – that’s their business, not mine, and I don’t care what they do. I even like a good all-inclusive adult detective story myself once in a while. However, I was blown away with “Sinking Island” only due to the fact it did indeed come from such a wholesome site -- BBG.

All I’m saying now is Buyer Beware.

Misty40
Clownfish
Clownfish
923 Posts

[Post New]by Misty40 on Apr 19, 09 6:59 PM
I'm still downloading this game. I cannot wait to play it. From what I've read, it seems to contain some real-life issues. I'm sure I'll be cheating my way through this game..LOL.

ozzyboo
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by ozzyboo on Apr 21, 09 4:00 PM
Hi mrsrambo, i too had the problem of not getting past the first scene then i played on beat the clock mode and it seems to be playing ok now, maybe if you give that a go it might work. Saying that so far it seems to quite a long labourious task as its all talking and asking questions, i much prefered siberia 1 and 2 and all the nancy drew games for giving your brain a workout solving the puzzles, oh and the agatha christie games are brill too.

[Post New]by OnWisconsin on Apr 23, 09 2:09 PM
WhipFish wrote:And that is condescending.

Hi WhipFish. I am very grateful to you and pat because of your posts. We all miss words in games. I do think that everyone needs to remember that all posts are for the benefit of other fishies in the pond. I am so glad that you warned me about the game, as I was getting ready to download it. Now I will not due to your comments. Thanks WhipFish so much. You too Player Pat.

OnWI

Game_Toad
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Game_Toad on Apr 25, 09 4:12 PM
The point about there being a warning on the game page is valid (Mimi), but I agree that it doesn't go far enough (WhipFish, Pat). I haven't looked back; perhaps that's already been done. The game (which I had no problems downloading or playing, btw) is full of adult content and the s-word (super insult to females) is used regularly, without adding anything to the story. And this is a talky, talky, talky game, with lots of repetition. By the end, I was right-clicking to skip all the blah, blah, blah. Although the voice actors all sound like native English speakers (with the exception of Christina), some of the dialogue and items (like the rifle, the newspaper, etc.) indicate the game might have been created in a language other than English and then translated (the credits are also a clue). That might explain the overuse of an offensive word.

The visuals were really nice (maybe a bit gloomy for some, but I like rain), as was the character movement...smooth and I never got trapped in a corner or anything. There was a lot of running around and re-visiting places, though. I longed for a map interface. It's third person, which is great if you get nauseous like I do with first person games. I wish there had been more exploring and puzzle-solving and a whole lot less talking (which was made really odd by the fact that none of the characters lips move; it's like they were all telepaths). Most of the length of the game is taken up with conversation. I think the developers have a good game engine and design team going, they just need a better puzzle/dialog ratio (and maybe a better dictionary). For me, this one doesn't have any replay value.

[Post New]by grannie1976 on Apr 28, 09 7:56 AM
mrsrambo1 wrote:Hi,
I bought it and downloaded the game but I cant get past the first scenes to play.

kiedon
Clownfish
Clownfish
552 Posts

[Post New]by kiedon on Apr 28, 09 12:59 PM
You have to learn to use your crime computer that is built into the game. Open your inventory and fill in the empty boxes with data you have collected and hit OK it will either tell you you are right or wrong. If you are right you will transmit data to your boss and be able to climb the rope and continue the game.

[Post New]by CopperScale on May 3, 09 3:30 PM
I have been trying to decide on what game to download next and was reading through this thread a bit.

First, I am trying to figure out just what a company has to do to adequately warn of adult content in a game. It is there in red and quite clearly a warning. Maybe an Adult Section???

Second, I am really happy to learn that there are people in the world who will pre-screen what thy let their children play! I could not believe all the flack over some of the big game releases that have occurred in the past. I have no idea why someone would allow their young children to play something like Grand Theft Auto in the first place. Then when you learn that this same person who is threatening legal action has allowed their child to play version one and two without even looking and when version three hit the news it was the fault of someone else that the kids had seen this stuff you have no sympathy for them. (The adult, that is.)

But on to my real reason for posting.....

I am an adult and I enjoy entertainment material aimed at ADULTS! I feel that there is no reason certain subjects can not be addressed in literature, movies, TV and games, as long as people are informed that it is there. The idea that we should censor creativity and content because a child might see it is not a good one. I am so happy to see things available here like the new Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened and the Dracula games that I actually rejoined here to buy them. I hope that we see a lot more adult games available as time goes on. My son (20 years old and in school to be a game designer) and I both really enjoyed the Dracula titles and I am sure that when this quarter is over he will love the Holmes game as well.

I have not decided about Sinking Island yet because of all the issues people are having with running it. I am on an older XP PC with an AMD 64 chip and a think I could have problems as well. However, from what I have read on the forum here I would probably enjoy the puzzles and game play.

[Post New]by selkirksam on May 4, 09 6:57 AM
This is a great game, eventhough it is a huge download. A Gameboomer's walkthrough is almost essential to help getting to the end. We had no problem with the download or the play of the game.

Game_Toad
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Game_Toad on May 4, 09 9:19 PM
The warning does read "Explicit Language," but there are also adult themes; I think the warning just needs to be more thorough, because there are mixed audiences at this site. I definitely don't want to see every game aimed at a child's level...there are way too many adult gamers! For adults, there's really nothing over the top; I was more turned off by the length and repetitiveness of the conversations than I was by the content. For parents/caregivers who are concerned about content, the warning probably should read "adult content/explicit language" so that it covers the bases. Any further than that and the kids will just download it more There's no overt violence or gore, just some language that not everyone would want younger folks to read/hear.

troxe
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by troxe on May 9, 09 4:00 AM
Okay I have tried to finish for the umpteenth time , My mandate only allows 1 dec from Christiana that the gloves belong to marco and the Material clues include:bottle of flax,Goums glove recept,return airline tickets, One way airline tickets and marco's stained gloves.it keeps saying INCORRECT so what am I doing wrong or need to do?

None of the other boxes on the mandate screen are lit up to allow me to put anything else.
I have the condom wrapper with conversations with Martin and Christina.... I love this game and up to this point no problem with the walkthrough but I just want to end it as I have lots of other Large Files to play/ Please help and did I see that there is a sinking island 2???

Game_Toad
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Game_Toad on May 9, 09 12:25 PM
I don't remember this specific point in the game, but I do remember that a couple of times I had to make sure I'd talked to everybody before I could clear an area...maybe there's a conversation you still need to have with someone?

Day 3 can anyone help

[Post New]by tufty123 on May 17, 09 5:34 AM
I am at the begining of Day 3 where Nolent is found shot at his desk, I have taken the pistol and no fingerprints, have taken the ripped suicide note, and taken the remote control, have gone over to Jones desk and tried to use the remote control on the red flashing light, but all I get is Norm saying 'I am missing something' I have tried everything I can think of but am still missing something can anyone advise please as its a great game but now am stuck.

[Post New]by jfmccombs39 on May 27, 09 6:45 PM
misschan wrote:This has also happened to me (error violation and shut down), although a bit further into the game. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I've already had to download the game twice (at 5 hours a time) because it didn't seem to download properly the first time, it kept freezing when interviewing Martin in the kitchen, then it crashed my computer!! It takes ages for BF to reply when contacting them directly, so can anyone help?

Sometimes on the big fish games I need to put my antivirus to sleep or disable it for the games to play , if not is will shut down on me and not play, Hope this will help you! I have window Vista.

[Post New]by pamash1956 on Jun 21, 09 7:16 PM
When we try to play the game it is so slow that it takes forever to do anything. Very frustrating. What can we do?

Mjr9550
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Mjr9550 on Jun 29, 09 3:44 AM
I have not been able to play this game because of technical problems or "bugs". I am able to download and start the game but right at the beginning the screen goes black and and error code comes up. I have been reading the posts and found out that I'm not the only one with problems. I guess I will just give up on it. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for games like Nancy Drew, Sherlock Holmes, etc. I have played all the games available on Big Fish. Are there any other sites that offer games at reasonable prices like Big Fish? I really love Big Fish, but they need to have more adventure and "big" adventure games. Anyway, thanks for the help in advance.

Edited on 06/29/2009 at 3:45:18 AM PST

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Jan 8, 10 1:57 PM
I know this is a very late post, but I'm trying to read about this game and wondering if I want to buy it with my game credit. I've seen a lot of 'issues' on content.
Sorry, but that makes me want to buy it all the more. I love the daring adventure wrought with mystery and danger.
Think I have to have this one.

[Post New]by cobagot on Mar 8, 10 6:11 AM
teresa2255a wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with getting the game to play....after download, mine is stuck on a very large quit screen and I can't go anywhere but to hit the quit button. Any advise?

I have the same problem!!Tried everything!! PLEASE HELP

Go to: