ttomm46
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

Re:Just A Warning On The Game Length

[Post New]by ttomm46 on Nov 20, 14 9:24 AM
Valdy wrote:Well, I never said that there was anything wrong with catbag's post, and I am sure that's not what we meant, MsFreddie and I. I was just trying to explain that you simply can't go by what someone else tells you, because we all play differently.

Goodness... why do some people always get whatever someone writes the wrong way. No wonder I am not interested in posting here anymore.

You need to keep posting..Won't accept your resignation

Edited on 11/20/2014 at 9:25:07 AM PST

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Nov 20, 14 9:55 AM
I think WARNING, means there is a problem with the game. Your warned that something is wrong, would we get a warning, if the game was long? What is too short, it took me 6 months to finish The Grimm tales, Bloody Mary, boy that was a long game, lol

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Nov 20, 14 11:18 AM
If it's of any relevance, it took me about 5 hours to finish this game (including the bonus chapter).

But as Valdy quite rightly pointed out, we all play at different speeds. What takes me 5 hours may take someone else 3 hours.

And I didn't find all the so will have to play it again some time!

sexxygamma
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by sexxygamma on Nov 20, 14 12:39 PM
I agree with jfog, I would like a long game if paying $13.99 ....just saying

Edited on 11/20/2014 at 12:40:47 PM PST

catbag8717
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,163 Posts

[Post New]by catbag8717 on Nov 20, 14 12:55 PM
I seem to have created quite the controversy! I apologise. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, even if it differs from the other person's, Valdy & MsFreddie, thank you for posting your opinions. And Valdy, you are most certainly NOT allowed to leave... don't let the angry people drive you away! I've lost a couple of BFG friends to the anger here!

I myself actually prefer SHORTER games, which is why I never ever get CE's. I don't like finishing a game and then thinking: "Oh, I've still got another chapter." I would take a 2.5 hour game over a 3,5 hour game any day! The shorter ones are generally more enjoyable. Any longer than 3.5 hours and I will get bored. I was simply posting this because people ask the question ("How long is this game?") all the time. No I haven't finished the demo; the next three chapters may take me three hours. I was just warning that it may be short.

Thank you to angelfish106 for posting how long it took her (or him- please inform me if I get this wrong). This is pretty much what this thread was made for.

But, like I said in my original post, PLEASE don't let the length put you off buying! This is an absolutely fantastic game. Definitely my favourite to come out this month! It's shaping up to be one of my favourite games this year.

Edited on 11/20/2014 at 12:56:18 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 20, 14 2:29 PM
Thank you catbag and angelfish for posting about the length. I, too, finished the demo quickly. I left the game running a few times while I took care of some things and played on hardcore with no hints, skips, etc. I do love the game and am willing to spend a little more if it is long, but otherwise I will wait for another sale. For me, I am on a budget and enjoyment is only one part of the value of a game to me. If I enjoy a game, but it isn't long, I will wait for a big sale.

I've been around BFG since 2007 and have amassed many, many games. They all tend to be basically the same now and it truly takes something different and special for me to pay $13.99. When you have played these games for as long as I have, you tend to get an idea of the length regardless of how fast or slow a player you are based on what others post and on your demo time.

It does irritate me when others complain about someone asking for the length of a game. I'm not saying anyone here did, but I have seen it before. If they aren't interested, they don't have to read the thread. Complaining about someone asking about the length or posting the information is unacceptable to me. People should be able to post what they want as long as it isn't attacking someone personally. Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but to chasten someone for posting information seems wrong to me. I used to post reviews on every game years ago, however, it was the negative posts from other members complaining about people asking questions and the negative posts arguing with someone's opinion about a game that got me to stop.

Edited on 11/20/2014 at 2:30:03 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 20, 14 2:36 PM
Valdy wrote:I don't think people should be giving out warnings regarding game length (and I have never played a game by Elephant game that was short).

We all have a different speed at which we play. I did not get through 2 chapters in half an hour, but then again, I do like to take my time, stop occasionally and smell the roses, as the saying goes. Also, I would be missing all those flowers and statues that we can collect if I raced through the game.

Anyway... what takes half an hour for one person can take an hour for another. Besides, not all chapters are the same length. Perhaps the first 2 chapters are on the short side, and the other 3 are much longer.

You will only know how long a game is when you have finished it. I never go by how long a demo takes.

Valdy, I am sorry, but I, too, thought you were saying that catbag shouldn't have made the post as you did say you felt people shouldn't be giving out warnings regarding game length. If you meant what you posted above differently, I apologize and thank you for explaining it later on the thread. I don't think anyone was trying to be mean to you, they were just responding based on the words you wrote. Please do not get your feelings hurt when people also post their opinions. It isn't meant personally.

Edited on 11/20/2014 at 2:38:01 PM PST

Maryish
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by Maryish on Nov 20, 14 2:37 PM
I like knowing about the game length thank you. I'm not always comfortable spending $13.99 on a short game. Some of us breeze through the game at a much faster pace (unintentionally) than others. Than its back to finding another game to play :-(

Just the way I feel enjoy fishies.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 20, 14 2:38 PM
Valdy wrote:

Also, like MsFreddie, I prefer quality over quantity. In fact, I prefer a shorter game to a long one, because I get bored easily.

I rather say: "what a shame, it's finished already", than say: "thank goodness it's done with".

I so agree with Valdy on this one. I have played some games on this site which go on forever but they are sooooooooooo boring! I would rather play a game which is entertaining and short than one that just has filler.

At times, I have played an SE over a CE because they are more entertaining to me than the long, drawn out CE. Hey devs - more isn't necessarily better. Spend your time in creating a great game and stop worrying about how long they are. I would pay for a game I really enjoyed even if it didn't have the BONUS section.

Most of the bonus sections are rather short anyway.

And, please folks, can we ever have a discussion on this site without the bickering and "cat" fights? Maybe I am an optimist , but I don't really believe anyone would actually go out of their wait to hurt anyone's feelings on this site. We don't even know each other (well, maybe a few people we know), so why would we want to generate animosity?

Let's just be thankful (how apropos LOL) that we have a site for games we enjoy. Some of my more "suave," "sophisticated" tech-savvy friends laugh at these games, preferring action games. On a release date, they actually stand in line for hours to purchase an action game for $80 or more. So - actually our games are relatively cheap. And, we don't have to stand in line either.LOL

Edited on 11/20/2014 at 2:46:19 PM PST

[Post New]by lilfishbigpond2 on Nov 20, 14 3:36 PM
I for one, would like to get,my hard earned MONEY'S worth... the longer the better.. just say'in.

jfog
Clownfish
Clownfish
991 Posts

[Post New]by jfog on Nov 20, 14 6:51 PM
Reading reviews is probably individual for each of us. I always demo every game I buy so I already know most of what a demo review has to say. I know after the demo if I will be bored or annoyed by a game. The two most important things I can find in a full game review are the length of the game and whether or not it becomes hidden object scene heavy after the demo time. That is useful information for me. I don't care about achievements or collectables - morphing or otherwise. It's the story for me. I'm an old adventure game player so 20 to 30 hours to complete a good game doesn't seem like too much at all. Finding a reviewer that appreciates the same game play that I do is an important resource. For me, that's Nilosh. We all have different needs and expectations of a game and, as we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is the definition of quality.

mrm2006
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by mrm2006 on Nov 20, 14 8:06 PM
Since everyone is adding their two cents, here's mine.

Whether using a coupon, credits or cash, I like knowing there is "some" length to a CE game. I care about quality of the game play, what is being offered in terms of collectibles and morphing objects and, sometimes, whether or not the bonus game is relevant to the ending of the game (in some games you HAVE to have the bonus game). All the other extras such as music, wallpaper, etc. means nothing to me, while it is terribly important to others.

I have been asked to state in my reviews, if I know, what I believe the game length would be - a "guesstimate". Sometimes, you can find out in the Achievements ("completing the game in less than 5 hours") but not always. Just as some people like to know the ratio between hidden object games and mini games or if there is an alternate game to play instead of the hidden object game.

Providing people who regularly read someone's reviews (or posts info) is a nice thing to do and it's what I look for in the reviews I regularly read. Game details (such as story line, etc.) isn't as important in the reviews I go to as are the details regarding what I look for in a CE vs an SE.

So, to each his/her own. I appreciate anyone who provides the info I look for. Thank you all for posting your reviews and comments.

Have a lovely......

[Post New]by Short_Starfish on Nov 21, 14 1:34 AM
I must admit I was surprised when the trial ended after 1/2 hrs play. I really enjoy the Surface series and was looking forward to it although this one was really gripping me. Does it get any more challenging in later chapters? I know this is relative to each player but I was playing custom which tends to be set more towards hardcore (no hints, sparkles, messages) and found I breezed through this.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 21, 14 4:52 AM
catbag, it's a sample version. The trial stops at a fixed point, however long it takes. That's why time isn't mentioned.
If the trial was for an hour, the text would say so.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Nov 22, 14 1:25 PM
I believe it is helpful to have a thread about game length. I wish there were more. Most players understand that we all play at a different pace, but for me, length may factor in the decision to purchase if I am on the fence.

If a game seems long, it probably is because the story has lost steam and no longer interests the player. I want a game to be long, but not seem long because I am caught up in the play and the story. The old saying, "time flies when you're having fun" still applies.

Edited on 11/23/2014 at 11:57:08 AM PST

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Nov 23, 14 11:52 AM
steve_san wrote:I believe it is helpful to have a thread about game length. I wish there were more. Most players understand that we all play at a different pace, but for me, length may factor in to the decision to purchase if I am on the fence.

If a game seems long, it probably is because the story has lost steam and no longer interests the player. I want a game to be long, but not seem long because I am caught up in the play and the story. The old saying, "time flies when you're having fun" still applies.

[/quote

I agree with Steve.when I buy a collectors I want more story for the money. I don't want more hidden objects filler screens to give illusion it is a long game. My favorite Games are the long ones that consist of a story that only gets more interesting as the story continues.

Sadly my saved games were deleted with corrupted save files the message said. I had blue screen of deaths as I mentioned in the technical glitches but I finished the main story. My opinion of length is, I thought the main game is on the short side. I was disappointed when it ended so abruptly.

I was grateful the story continued with bonus game, because the game within game, is really fun.

I also agree I look to others reviews as an idea how long of a game it is. We all have a right to our opinion, it doesn't make our opinion right or wrong, but for others that say a person doesn't have a right to voice their opinion of length of game, is wrong, and this is my opinion.

I want to see others opinions it helps me when buying Collectors. Thanks for this thread and giving your opinion of the length of game.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Nov 26, 14 11:22 PM
I agree with Valdy, we all play at different speeds, some rush through the trial (skip the cinematics and dialogue etc), some take time figuring out what to do next as they like to work it out for themselves, some do both - rush through the trial as fast as they can to see as much as they can, then when they buy, settle down to a slower pace to enjoy the game fully. There's no right or wrong way.

But I do also appreciate knowing if a game is really short, or if it's likely to come to an end 10 mins after you buy it. (I remember a game that I actually completed during the trial!!) But I feel like it would be better to base that information on actual completion of the game rather than on how many chapters there are in the strategy guide, because in many case the 'trial' chapters are shorter that the rest of the chapters purely because they ARE trial chapters, so short trial chapters don't neccessarily mean the rest of the game will be short.

All that said - I was SO disappointed when this trial ended, I decided to buy it regardless of length!

Go to: