cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:TGT: Cindy's Travels: Flooded Kingdom

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 16, 09 3:02 AM
OK I have now played a few more levels and I have got to agree with Bribling because the constant illumination of the path has hurt my eyes too and I have had to pack up playing .

We are not idiots, show us the path once by all means even though we can see it anyway but why oh why do they need to keep illuminating it with flashing lights every couple of seconds. To me this is completely unnecessary and spoils the game.

cute game ....... hurt my eyes.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Apr 16, 09 3:16 AM
This game was a pleasant surprise. I normally dislike match 3 games and only own about 3 of them but this one was different and I liked the way you created the chains.
Bought this one

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Apr 16, 09 4:00 AM
I like this one although am not normally keen on match 3 games. Only thing I don't like is the darkening of the play area when you make longer strings. 2 or 3 of these and it looks as if you have set fire and burnt it all.
Having said that I have played all 60 mins of demo time and would like to see more.

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Apr 16, 09 5:39 AM
I like match 3's, but was not crazy about this one. It was different but seemed slow and rather childish, although I do like some that are childish. I doubt if I would play it very long, so I probably won't buy it.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 16, 09 5:50 AM
GeeBee wrote:Poodle,
The way the game played for me was like it was jerky - not at all smooth. But, now both you Poodle and Small have mentioned that your games smooth and easy. What could mechanically be wrong with my game that I would have technical problems to boot....need to check this out. Thanks Poodle for your review. Always look forward to them.

GeeBee, it might be your graphics card or even the amount of memory on the graphics card itself or that your system devotes only to graphics. That's about the only thing I can think of, but of course I'm sure there might be other things.

HTH!

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Apr 16, 09 6:18 AM
Someone mentioned Magic Match. I love that game. How does this one compare to that one?

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 16, 09 6:58 AM
I have now played for about 45 minutes and LOVE it! It actually doesn't feel much like a match 3 to me even though most of the game play is match 3. It feels like more of an adventure game in a lot of ways, I think because of the story and the tasks that you have to do integrate so well into the story. I really liked the one HO scene that I've gotten to so far and the way the items filled up on the side letting you know approximately how many more of that item you had to find. Took me a few minutes to figure out the frying pan at the bottom of the column was actually the hint button, but that may be because I clicked through the instructions too fast....as usual for me.

The game played fine for me. I see what some of you meant about the path repeatedly lighting up to point the way and tried to figure out if it did this because the matches being made didn't really immediately help Cindy's progression, but I can't be sure of that yet. I thought that maybe since the chains being selected didn't include anything on the path, the game didn't know the player knew the path so it was trying to help. One suggestion I have for that that might help is changing the brightness or contrast of your monitor settings. I know a lot of us have them set really bright for HO games, and I'm thinking that maybe turning the brightness down for this one might help, but I haven't tried it yet.

At any rate, it will be a definite buy for me.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 16, 09 7:31 AM
Gentlsong wrote:The game played fine for me. I see what some of you meant about the path repeatedly lighting up to point the way and tried to figure out if it did this because the matches being made didn't really immediately help Cindy's progression, but I can't be sure of that yet. I thought that maybe since the chains being selected didn't include anything on the path, the game didn't know the player knew the path so it was trying to help. One suggestion I have for that that might help is changing the brightness or contrast of your monitor settings. I know a lot of us have them set really bright for HO games, and I'm thinking that maybe turning the brightness down for this one might help, but I haven't tried it yet.

That's what I thought, too. Yet, mentally I was telling the game that I knew where the path was and didn't need the constant reminding. Not sure the game heard me, though.

And brightness of the path? Didn't notice that at all. Maybe it's the monitor I'm using and it's presettings? I dunno.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 09 7:34 AM
I noticed the brightening of the path a few times, but don't remember it happening more than that. Possibly I just tuned it out. I wonder if turning tutorial off might help?

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 16, 09 7:37 AM
lordkalvan wrote:I noticed the brightening of the path a few times, but don't remember it happening more than that. Possibly I just tuned it out. I wonder if turning tutorial off might help?

Ooooo, good point. Didn't consider that since the lit path wasn't bothering me.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Apr 16, 09 7:38 AM
dtouchton wrote:Someone mentioned Magic Match. I love that game. How does this one compare to that one?

I played and enjoyed Magic Match (and the sequel) BUT this has a lot more things going on. Also Magic Match was timed (or perhaps just has freezing blocks and the luike which amount to the same) and I ultimately failed and could not finish. Magic Match was is lot more difficult. I also think this is a lot prettier. I thought the little helper dude in Magic Match was super creepy.

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Apr 16, 09 7:56 AM
Loved it! I hope it makes Felix's list!!

sawadee93
Koi
Koi
128,219 Posts

[Post New]by sawadee93 on Apr 16, 09 8:02 AM
well for me it's exactly like Lost in Reefs, my cursor is going all over the place, I think my computer doesn't like Match 3 games ...so I cannot play the game and yes, my graphic card is up-to-date, so I don't know what is the problem ....
Never mind

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Apr 16, 09 8:10 AM
mahbah55 wrote:Loved it! I hope it makes Felix's list!!

It's a Felix's Favorite; take a look at where it says "New Treasure Chest: Felix's Favorites Game" under "watch the video" on the download page for Cindy's Travels.

This game is adorable, and I love it. There's no slowdown for me, either, during the tile matching. I am VERY happily going to use a game credit on it! I can't wait to see what little surprises this game has in store for me, as it was late last night while playing the demo and I haven't seen the HO minigame yet.

mahbah55
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,025 Posts

[Post New]by mahbah55 on Apr 16, 09 8:13 AM
Howatch wrote:
mahbah55 wrote:Loved it! I hope it makes Felix's list!!

It's a Felix's Favorite; take a look at where it says "New Treasure Chest: Felix's Favorites Game" under "watch the video" on the download page for Cindy's Travels.

Thanks! I didn't notice that. Will be purchasing soon then. Gotta get my key chain and mouse pad.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Apr 16, 09 8:20 AM
I'm noticing that path brightening now, particularly when it's "night" instead of "day". Mildly annoying for me, but then I don't have my monitor brightness up high. The levels are getting tougher, so that I have to rely on the powerups and I'm making a lot more of the short chains.

I got a second hidden object level that was tougher; besides the items being partially behind bushes and whatnot they are picky about being clicked in the right place.

The second slider puzzle I was pulling out my hair on until I noticed the axe. I didn't get to choose the log to chop, but after it was gone I was able to solve the puzzle. I could have solve it if I could have moved Cindy up the path and then moved logs in behind her, instead of needing to clear the full path first. I think this is the only game I've ever seen with slider puzzles on hex tiles, so I'm needing to think harder.

edit: another mild annoyance is that when you plan to use Cindy as a wild card you need a chain of 3+ on each side of her. For continuing the same type of item you just need a chain of 3+ on the side you start, but that means if there are 2 of the same color on each side of her, you can't make it into a chain.

Spoiler below in white, about trolls in the swamp.
I was really startled when that troll took me out of the MIDDLE of a level to put me in prison. What, did I take too long to finish the level or something? Apparently it's supposed to happen, because the next level was a puzzle for getting out of prison.

Edited on 04/16/2009 at 8:24:14 AM PST

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Apr 16, 09 8:30 AM
Loved the spoiler, lord.

Now you've gone and done it. I was going to wait for payday to purchase the game......

bep1
Shark
Shark
10,381 Posts

[Post New]by bep1 on Apr 16, 09 8:37 AM
You guys are making me think maybe I didn't give it enough chance. Don't know. The brightness you mention, though, is hardly much on my computer. Must be the way the monitor is set. I guess I could get it if I need another game to get the mousepad.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Apr 16, 09 9:19 AM
I only have 2 min. left so i can't do much. I thought about adjusting the options some more. The idea of turning the Tutorial off is a good one! I didn't realize it was still on (fin slaps forehead).

I won't change my monitor adjustments for a game. I have it at the best setting for things that I do, text creating and editing, photo editing, and can't be bothered to adjust the monitor every time I do something. Besides, my monitor has some tiny, unlabled buttons on it. I can barely see them due to the brightness of the screen and I can never remember which button does what so it is a pain to adjust. (Sigh) NO MO tiny Buttons!

Bad eyesight is the pits! The only thing worse is the arthritis in my legs.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Apr 16, 09 9:45 AM
Poodlebear wrote:
dtouchton wrote:Someone mentioned Magic Match. I love that game. How does this one compare to that one?

I played and enjoyed Magic Match (and the sequel) BUT this has a lot more things going on. Also Magic Match was timed (or perhaps just has freezing blocks and the luike which amount to the same) and I ultimately failed and could not finish. Magic Match was is lot more difficult. I also think this is a lot prettier. I thought the little helper dude in Magic Match was super creepy.

Thanks, Poodle. I really liked MM but I'll give this a try.

Go to: